University of Charleston Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CPhT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I know you are out there... So where are all my classmates for August 2008?

Also...

Housing for out-of-staters

Members don't see this ad.

I'm here! Congrats & See you this fall!

As far as housing, I would assume you saw my link on the other thread. If not:
http://camc.wvu.edu/info/housing.htm (this is the housing for WVU med students that UC Rx students can use.)
You could also try looking online at the Charleston Gazette's classifieds. And if you contact the visitor's bureau of Charleston they will send you a map and a list of apartments. Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be there too, looking for an apt. also

Hi everyone, I'm from Gadsden, Alabama and I'm planning to move to West Virginia mid July. I'll see you guys there.:hello:

I'm from Seminole, FL (30 min away from Tampa) and plan on moving there mid-late July.

Kudos to you ppl coming cross the country to flippin West Virginia. I live about an hour and a half away from Charleston in Ohio, so I've lived with the joys of this region all my life. Prepare to be bored out of your skull. I guess, on the bright side, you'll have a lot of study time! ha.

Kudos to you ppl coming cross the country to flippin West Virginia. I live about an hour and a half away from Charleston in Ohio, so I've lived with the joys of this region all my life. Prepare to be bored out of your skull. I guess, on the bright side, you'll have a lot of study time! ha.

haha yea, I need a tranquil place to go to pharmacy school so I can pass! LOL

My dad was actually born and raised in West Virginia and my grandparents live 2 1/2 hours away from Charleston. I spend all of my vacations there so besides being 8 hours from home, it will not be that big of an adjustment.

My dad was actually born and raised in West Virginia and my grandparents live 2 1/2 hours away from Charleston. I spend all of my vacations there so besides being 8 hours from home, it will not be that big of an adjustment.

ya...well, I don't really do much here in Florida, I don't go to the beach or anything, and stay away from the nightlife, except on Wednesdays, lol. So Charleston will be fine. I have timeshare in the Poconos, in Pennsylvania, and that's calm and relaxing, and that's what I like to be in.

I posted this in the other thread, but just FYI:

i have a list of apartments in charleston but I am kind of new to this whole forum thing.... so i don't know the best way to get it to you guys.
it was mailed to me, so i scanned it & its saved on my pc...
if someone wants the list bad enough, i'm sure i'll get some help! lol

still didnt get my certified letter, I guess I have to call them if I don't get it by friday...I'm leaving Saturday for a week, so I must get it before then.

Members don't see this ad :)
gosh, still no letter. I have to get it by tomorrow.

umm guys...I received my acceptance email last thursday, and today I received an update placing me on the top tier of the alternate list.

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

hmmmmm....... that seems a little odd..... did they lose count of acceptees or something? but, anyway, again with my mantra of "don't lose hope!" I was on the wait list last year, I started out in the middle tier (of 50 people) and by July 1 was in the top 3. So if you're at the top of the list, chances are good that you will get a spot! good luck! I know dealing with all this admissions hoopla/misinformation that is sometimes sent is a pain, but it will pay off in four years. i hope. lol

Yes, Dr. Easton called me and explained the situation. Didn't explain the acceptance e-mail, but explained I have a great shot still. So I would imagine I will get in rather easily, but I can't be too sure. It kind of sucks though being in this position, since I already thought I was in, lol. I'm going to NY this Saturday and my family is having a party for me on Sunday, so I guess I won't tell anyone. And I'll still be an intern at work, because it's too embarrassing to tell anyone there also. So I'm not saying anything to anyone except here, mom, dad, and sister.. Things happen for a reason, that's how I look at it.

Yeah...that's a major bummer....but on the brighter side.... you get to be paid as an intern already?! that's awesome...i can't get internship pay until the day i start pharmacy classes. I'm sure everything will work itself out in the end.

Ouch. Feel for ya on that one, that would not be fun at all. I know for me it didn't seem real till I got the actual acceptance letter and info in the mail because this has been such a long process. Hopefully things work out for you.

I just got back from a trip to Charleston where I lined up an apartment so I am looking forward to things in the fall.

Yea, I figure I'm getting in regardless so I'm not really upset anymore. But I am ticked. lol

Yeah...that's a major bummer....but on the brighter side.... you get to be paid as an intern already?! that's awesome...i can't get internship pay until the day i start pharmacy classes. I'm sure everything will work itself out in the end.

well I didn't get a raise yet...I am currently making more than a P1 so I hear I may not get one regardless. If that is the case, that is pretty dumb. But I did get my name tag that says intern and I do transfers and take new ones from doctors...but I used to do that occassionally as a tech since the pharmacists trust me oooo sooo much lol.

Add me on; another future classmate here.
BTW have we been given (and I somehow missed it) an official dress code yet? Trying to decide if I need to mothball all my clothes or just most :)

I'm there too! Just was accepted a few weeks ago and have been tryin to figure out who all my classmates will be. Cheers and congrats!

Yes, the school requires a "professional" dress code- i think i heard dr. easton say this basically means no flip-flops or tennis shoes, no jeans/cargo/sweat pants, no t-shirts. So i would say for guys, a polo and khakis is acceptable.....for girls dress pants and shirts and/or dresses- i think sandals are ok as long as they are nice/dressy...

Yes, the school requires a "professional" dress code- i think i heard dr. easton say this basically means no flip-flops or tennis shoes, no jeans/cargo/sweat pants, no t-shirts. So i would say for guys, a polo and khakis is acceptable.....for girls dress pants and shirts and/or dresses- i think sandals are ok as long as they are nice/dressy...
So it is more of a "business casual" dress code then.
"Professional" would be "shirt and tie", to me.
Either way, we haven't been given anything in writing yet though?

yeah- business casual is a good description- the "professional" word came from them, not me. We haven't been given anything official (like a list of acceptable attire) but I believe in the Powerpoint presentation from interview day there was a short comment about dress code. I'm afraid nothing more specific than that. If you email Stacie Campbell, (the admin. assistant), I'm sure she could give you more info if you want it.

so....a polo, khakis, and what you call, a white coat...lol.

Looks like I should have held off posting, just got the "professional attire" mailing. For those wanting to shop immediately :) here's an abbreviated listing.
guys: dress or polo shirt (w/ collar) slacks (dress or khakis) socks and shoes
ties not required (strongly recommended for formal events)
sandals are not appropriate
gals: skirt and blouse, dress slacks (or khakis) and blouse, basic dress or suit and shoes. hosiery not req (strong recommended for formal events) accessories and footware must be tasteful and professional.
at no time are the following allowed:
hats; flipflops/sandals/tennis shoes; sweat suits; shorts/capri pants' tank tops or athletic t-shirts; holes/cuts in clothing; denim clothing; spandex, leggins, tight fitting stretch pants; any revealing clothing that exposes the chest or midriff

hair: neatly combed, clean, not dyed unnatural color.
skin: no visible piercings(other than earrings) nor tattoos

Looks like I should have held off posting, just got the "professional attire" mailing. For those wanting to shop immediately :) here's an abbreviated listing.
guys: dress or polo shirt (w/ collar) slacks (dress or khakis) socks and shoes
ties not required (strongly recommended for formal events)
sandals are not appropriate
gals: skirt and blouse, dress slacks (or khakis) and blouse, basic dress or suit and shoes. hosiery not req (strong recommended for formal events) accessories and footware must be tasteful and professional.
at no time are the following allowed:
hats; flipflops/sandals/tennis shoes; sweat suits; shorts/capri pants' tank tops or athletic t-shirts; holes/cuts in clothing; denim clothing; spandex, leggins, tight fitting stretch pants; any revealing clothing that exposes the chest or midriff

hair: neatly combed, clean, not dyed unnatural color.
skin: no visible piercings(other than earrings) nor tattoos

lol guess no fake blondes, go back to brunette, it's not allowed, lol. Guess I'll be wearing long sleeve shirts everyday, tattoos are not allowed. Sigh. But that's if I get my alternate list call. I still can't believe they accepted me then alternate listed me. :Sighs again: :confused:

lol guess no fake blondes, go back to brunette, it's not allowed, lol. Guess I'll be wearing long sleeve shirts everyday, tattoos are not allowed. Sigh. But that's if I get my alternate list call. I still can't believe they accepted me then alternate listed me. :Sighs again: :confused:

I believe they mean, a hair color that doesn't occur naturally on people... ie no hunter blaze orange or green etc

My mother wouldnt stop bothering me about the situation so Dr. Easton called and had a friendly talk with her. It seems they over-sent on their acceptance e-mails. I guess stuff happens. ;)

dr. easton called today, I was offered admission...again..lol!

Congrats again, good to see things worked out fine for you.

Hurry up and pay your $500!! Then they can't take it back! lol.....Congrats again, glad everything worked out.

In the hope that I will get a mailing on it in a couple days :)
Anyone know anything (ie more than what was covered at the interview) about the laptop program? I presume there's no provision/possibility to select our own. (which, unless there is on site servicing that I'm not aware of, I fail to see any reason to restrict)

In the hope that I will get a mailing on it in a couple days :)
Anyone know anything (ie more than what was covered at the interview) about the laptop program? I presume there's no provision/possibility to select our own. (which, unless there is on site servicing that I'm not aware of, I fail to see any reason to restrict)

I'm not sure...I will ask...my mom bought me a new one for xmas, haven't even opened it. I'll email Mrs. Campbell now.

yes.....rub it in WVUPharm..........
Concerning laptops......we are provided with laptops they purchase (on our "behalf" with our $1200 "technology fee"), you do not get to choose, every student has the same model. I don't know when they are issued. there is on site servicing...if i have heard correctly, they periodically collect all the laptops from Rx students to perform updates/fix bugs. (I will verify this with a student I know & update you.) I think we get new models every two years, and when you graduate, its yours. (at least i hope so- if not, what a rip off!)

It would be nice if we could use our own laptops, I got one two years ago for school that I would almost bet it at least as good as what we will be getting. But I guess we just call it a part of the process

Man, they are fascist as hell down in Chuck Town. I used to go to class in a hoodie and basketball shorts at the school up I-79.
I dunno about the pharmacy school at WVU, but as I understand it the med school there has an equally oppresive laptop program.

yes, lol, I guess it's part of the long and overwhelming process.

Anyone still looking for a roommate? Any suggestions for apartments in the Charleston area?

I'm still looking for a roommate. I live in Florida so it's hard to find anyone or any place...probably going up there next month with my sister though to look around, but I would like a roommate for my first year definitely.

OK.....I finally got the chance to ask someone about laptops.....obviously, we are all issued the same thing, but its yours- they don't take them away for scheduled maintenance/updates or anything. However, if there is a problem, they will collect your laptop and give you a "loaner" until the issues are resolved.
Advice from P3 UC Pharmacy student: "Put everything on a flash drive! Don't assume that your laptop will work!" Apparently there have been issues...

So, has anyone else noticed the financial aid package includes only tuition, fees, room and board?
Don't schools usually have a true CoA that includes things like: transportation, books, health insurance and misc?