University of Charleston School of Pharmacy C/O 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tickled_pink

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I haven't seen a board for this class yet so I thought I should start it. I was wondering if anyone is thinking of applying here, has gotten an interview, or for those that have gained acceptance accepting the offer?

Members don't see this ad.

Is charleston on probation?

Yes they were placed on probation in July 2014. I think they have 2 years to fix the problems or something, but the school has been working to fix what they need to and will be re evaluated in January.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually got accepted here, didn't pay the tuition for holding my seat. Reason being was not because of faculty members, the reason was accreditation. The accreditation for this school was probationary so I chose not to go this school; however, very nice people.

Also the town sucked...seriously nothing to do in a small town.

Current student from UCSOP here. So much misinformation on these forums. UC's on probation for faculty turnover and business reasons (main campus and school of pharmacy communication), not because of academics. NAPLEX rates are always above national standard or something lol

UCSD was on probation in 2010, did people freak out then? Of course not haha. Probation does not mean loss of accreditation.

BTW, Marshall doesn't even have accreditation yet... and their medical school was on probation a few years back weren't they?

UC is cheaper for out-of-state students and they'll actually know previous classes have passed the NAPLEX easily, unlike Marshall.

Please people! Avoid this school! Why are you going to make a 30k/year investment on something that is riskier than other options in the country? The faculty were horrible and unwilling to work with you. UC has a declining relationship with most of the sought after P4 rotation sites meaning you will more than likely be sent out to BFE for most rotations, while Marshall and WVU students take the majority of prime locations such as the VA and CAMC. If Pharmacceptance0's initials are AD then the way he has carried himself both on and offline are a good reflection of the way the university operates. This poster immediately began fighting back and trash talking about Marshall instead of trying to give a positive defensive position to his beloved UC. The way this poster carries themselves is a good way to see how the faculty themselves act. I graduated from this school and gave my money to this school so I have a right to warn other people about this program. If you can't make it anywhere else by all means go to this school, but if there are better fully accredited options out there please take them! I'm sure Pharmacceptance0 will reply with a bunch of trash talking in my direction; go ahead it just further proves my point.

#shotsfiredback #aremiddleagedmenusinghashtagsnow?

Reactions: 1 users
If you'd like to see my previous slaughter of Mechanix, please refer to: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/charleston-cop-status.1105066/

I'd rather not sit here and regurgitate arguments, as I have a bit of work to actually get done today. We can't all sit at home all day like you, Mechanix.

As for your most recent argument:
1. I've had zero issues with faculty. If anything, they've gone out of their way for me. Having graduated undergrad from a large school, I had troubles getting letters of rec for pharmacy school. I've already gotten plenty from UC professors for posibble letters as a P3... On top of that, they even come in on Saturdays before exams (Dr. Flaherty for example). For you to say faculty are bad makes me wonder if you even came here...

2. We just got P4 rotations at the Cleveland Clinic... The Cleveland Clinic. I don't know if you know who they are, but I'll inform you and let you know that they're one of the leading healthcare systems on the east coast.

3. No, my initials aren't AD, nor do I know anyone in the P4 or P3 class who has those initials. If anything, it sounds like you have a vendetta against them or someone else. Maybe you should be professional and take it up with them?

4. I listed plenty of positives in my post to you as well as above. I'm sorry you only see the negative things in life. Once again, speaks volumes lol.

5. Actually it doesn't require your tuition money to have a "right" to voice your opinion. It's granted by the First Amendment. We all have a right to our opinions.

6. I'll reply back with trash-talking? I'll actually reply by picking apart your argument piece by piece and providing evidence for every point. It's not my fault you look stupid... You are the epitome of the Doom and Gloom attitude found on this whole forum. So negative and quick to blame others. Man up and take responsibility for not studying harder.

And of course I'd call out Marshall. Who shows up to another school's thread trying to convince students to join them instead. Lol that's shady. "Hey were not accredited yet, but come to our school instead!!!" Sorry to the recruiter, but I couldn't bite my tongue there.

Quick message to the pre-pharm folks: Every P4 I've spoken to (about 20% of the class) already has a job offer OR a residency interview, so don't listen to all this drama about no jobs out there. (This is in January we're talking about...) These people don't want competition for their jobs so they try to scare everyone off. Go to whatever pharmacy school you want, follow your dreams, and work hard. I'm sure you'll have a job waiting for you when you get out.

#NotAMiddleAgedMan
#TookMechanix4MonthsToRespond

I guess I will exercise my 1st amendment after having that lovely law lesson from pharmacceptance. I'm not sure why you are defending UC the way you are. Pharmacceptance was trying his best to transfer to WVU last year. If UC is such an awesome school, why were you trying to jump ship with those other kids? So please, keep coming on here to deceive potential 'investors' for this horrible school. I'm sure they will like to know more about the real you. So let me wrap this up:

1. UC lied to a number of students during their interviews by telling them that they would be able to do a rotation close to their hometown, granted that the rotations were willing to take on students. Come rotation time, the rotations that I know of (highly regarded places eager for students) were shot down by Mr. Bowyer. When the students asked why he denied them he rudely said "you should've gone to a school over there if you wanted to do rotations near home."

2. UC lied to the entire student body when they were on the verge of being placed on probation. The dean clearly told everyone in convocation that the ACPE visit was routine for a new school and that everything was ok. When ACPE visited they bluntly told the students when asked if their visit was routine that it was in fact NOT routine and that the school was in serious trouble. They made it known that they were very busy people and that it takes a serious situation to get them to all fly in like they did (UH Hilo anyone?). There is a distinct difference between spinning an issue and outright deception.

3. I'm a person who gives credit where credit is due. Dr. Flaherty and Dr. Linger are amazing teachers so I apologize for saying all the teachers were horrible. The problem with this though is that what few good teachers UC has left are teaching the early course work in the program (little to no applicability in the real world) instead of the more applicable therapeutics courses during P2/P3 years. The current faculty teaching the meat of the profession, though nice, are very inexperienced given that this is their first teaching gig and are pretty much using UC as a stepping stone to bigger and better things. Even the brightest of therapy teachers there cannot replace intelligence for experience. The mass exodus of faculty happened before, it will happen again.

4. At this school even if you had awesome grades (like me and most of my colleagues did) you still felt uneasy about whether you would fail on some b/s technicality. For instance some very bright students doing their normal IPPE rotation had placed some patient data in a locked secured mailbox room for the faculty preceptor to review. Instead this horrible lady turned things around and claimed that these students violated a HIPAA law. She worked hard to ensure that these students were expelled. They would have been if it wasn't for a hired attorney that had to step in and threaten to sue the school (for what little money they have) for expelling kids that never broke the law. The school never backed these kids up! There are many instances like these that can cause an A student to fail at this school. In my opinion I believe it's their way of retaining more money by making kids repeat a year.

#PR doesn'tstandforPuertoRico

Avoid this school. It will lose accreditation. The program is a joke.

Reactions: 1 users
I did try to transfer for personal reasons outside of accreditation. I was accepted to WVU's SOP, but ended up deciding to stay at UC. Sometimes things happen in life, and you have to deal with them, whether you're in school, working, whatever else is going on. How does this strengthen you argument at all? I mean, do you want me to post my acceptance letter? I don't understand, Mechanix...

Back onto the topic at hand though. My only point that I've been trying to make this whole time, is that academically, UC isn't lacking. You originally said you hardly knew enough to be a retail pharmacist. I mean, that really falls on your shoulders. I'm not trying to be a douche, but let's be honest, ultimately, you're responsible for your education. We have plenty of alumni going on and accomplishing things. M Carrico just got some APhA award. A Beighl just won something. People who graduate from UC do just fine. You're probably out there working right now, doing just fine.

Quick question though, didn't someone in your class set up a rotation in Guam? At the Air Force base or something?

Anyway, after having gone to be a big school that was horrendous, I realized there's always BS to deal with, and people always want to complain. It's just annoying, especially with this forum and all the hype. It's like the Fox News of the pharmacy world sometimes. Schools go in and out of probation, just do some research. UCSD was on probation, now look, they're doing fine. It's all hype. People swear the sky is collapsing and the apocalypse is coming any day now. They want their vision of all these schools closing down so bad, that they sit here and just pray it'll happen. They see probation and think, "Well this is it! Judgement day has finally come!"

In regards to UC and their issues: I'm going to keep living my life and leave the business stuff to the administration. I have a feeling they're working their asses off to fix the issue considering their jobs, reputations, and valuable assets, in the form of a pharmacy school, are on the line...

I'm done trying. I've learned that if people want to complain, then they'll complain. Either way, good luck to you all with your endeavors! Maybe we can hang out some day, Mechanix, and catch a pizza at Pies and Pints. Try to cheer you up a bit ;)

Edited for accuracy! Enjoy. (You can sit for the NAPLEX if your school is on probation and accredited btw) Later!

Last edited:
Bruh pharmacceptance0, calm tf down. It's just a school your throwing out personal information like names of students to try to prove a point in which is an opinion. How will you ever be a pharmacist if you can't accept other people's opinions? If we don't want to go we don't want to go end of story. NO ONE IN THEIR GOD GIVEN MIND WOULD INVEST 150k+ ON A SCHOOL THAT IS ON PROBATION. TRY TAKING NAPLEX. YOU CANT.

I did try to transfer for personal reasons outside of accreditation. I was accepted to WVU's SOP, but ended up deciding to stay at UC. Sometimes things happen in life, and you have to deal with them, whether you're in school, working, whatever else is going on. How does this strengthen you argument at all? I mean, do you want me to post my acceptance letter? I don't understand, Mechanix...

Back onto the topic at hand though. My only point that I've been trying to make this whole time, is that academically, UC isn't lacking. You originally said you hardly knew enough to be a retail pharmacist. I mean, that really falls on your shoulders. I'm not trying to be a douche, but let's be honest, ultimately, you're responsible for your education. We have plenty of alumni going on and accomplishing things. Matt Carrico just got some APhA award. Aaron Beighl just won something. People who graduate from UC do just fine. You're probably out there working right now, doing just fine.

Quick question though, didn't someone in your class set up a rotation in Guam? At the Air Force base or something?

Anyway, after having gone to be a big school that was horrendous, I realized there's always BS to deal with, and people always want to complain. It's just annoying, especially with this forum and all the hype. It's like the Fox News of the pharmacy world sometimes. Schools go in and out of probation, just do some research. UH Hilo was a laughing stock a few years, and look, Newpharm45 is applying there now... UCSD was on probation, now look, they're doing fine. It's all hype. People swear the sky is collapsing and the apocalypse is coming any day now. They want their vision of all these schools closing down so bad, that they sit here and just pray it'll happen. They see probation and think, "Well this is it! Judgement day has finally come!"

In regards to UC and their issues: I'm going to keep living my life and leave the business stuff to the administration. I have a feeling they're working their asses off to fix the issue considering their jobs, reputations, and valuable assets, in the form of a pharmacy school, are on the line...

I'm done trying. I've learned that if people want to complain, then they'll complain. Either way, good luck to you all with your endeavors! Maybe we can hang out some day, Mechanix, and catch a pizza at Pies and Pints. Try to cheer you up a bit ;)

Maybe you should read the news sometimes. UH Hilo and Hawaii College of Pharmacy are two different programs. But I guess this level of knowledge is to be expected from someone who supports UC.

Reactions: 2 users
ACPE has removed the "with probation" tag from UCSOP. The school is now fully accredited with no probation. Looks like you trolls need to move on to something else to complain about...

Reactions: 1 user
ACPE has removed the "with probation" tag from UCSOP. The school is now fully accredited with no probation. Looks like you trolls need to move on to something else to complain about...

your info is great until the "troll" part :) imho people's concern about the probation status is legit and warranted... but good for UC now I guess...

Reactions: 1 user
I understand, oldstock. I was saying it because you don't see as much trash talking when it comes to programs like UCSF, who just was put on the list. Everyone will say, "Oh they'll be fine" and I agree 100%. I think they'll be just fine and fix any issues. I'm just saying things get exaggerated sometimes.

Contrary to all the negativity on this post, after visiting the school (and 5 other pharmacy programs), I believe this is an excellent program.
To students considering applying in the future, consider:
- Charleston has a 100% NAPLEX rate
- Smaller class
- Technology based: you will receive a macbook and iPad mini
- Relatively cheap in comparison to other private pharm schools
- The staff were very helpful and informative
- Located in a small city

I applied here, interviewed and was accepted. I almost let the trash talk on this post steer me away. Though I did not accept my offer (for personal reasons), I felt it was necessary to kill some of the negative rumors about this school.

Just put down my deposit and accepted! Excited to meet everyone. Charleston is beautiful!