University of Chicago Pritzker acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moomoo1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been accepted by Pritzker and is definitely planning to go? If yes, why have you chosen Pritzker?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed there 10/31, and haven't heard anything yet....grrr. As of right now, if I get in there (keeps fingers crossed) that's where I'd go...they told me about 3-4 weeks for a response, and by my count this is week 4, so say a little prayer for me...hopefully we'll be discusing why i want to go there.

Same here. I am still waiting on a call from them and i interviewed in mid october.
Pritzker is most likely where i'll end up also if accepted. I would shoot myself if i turn down a chance on a pass/fail school in chicago.
Btw, any of you guys from chitown? what schools? and where do you stay?
I'm at northwestern and live in glenview.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is funny - I go to NU also, and live on campus - there's a distinct possibility we might know each other...

moomoo1 said:
Has anyone been accepted by Pritzker and is definitely planning to go? If yes, why have you chosen Pritzker?

If I don't get into my top choice school that I am die-hard in love with, then there is about a 99% chance I'll be at Pritzker! Why?...the facilities are great and located together, the children's hospital is brand new and the most aesthetically awesome place I have ever seen (they have changing colored lights in the elevators!), the area/patient population is very diverse, they have a great philosophy that encourages their students to be scholarly and have interests outside of medicine, the cost of living isn't ridiculous, the administration seems AMAZING and is very very receptive to student input, everyone is so nice and helpful (they even assign you a student contact to help you make a decision whether or not to attend Pritzker), and I had a 4th year student tell me that you can usually create your own clinical electives 4th year if they don't have what you want, they have a great match list, and I just spent 4 years in the south and am ready to see the snow again (also, I've never spent time in the midwest...I like to go to new places!).

Oh, but if I get into my top choice, then 0% chance I will be at Pritzker...hehe. But it's still awesome!

I hate to use such a trite expression to convey my enthusiasm for Pritzker but it just seems like a true "perfect fit" for me. Reiterating many of the points DNM highlighted, what impresses me most about the University of Chicago is the myriad of opportunities presented to Pritzker students. I actually interviewed in Comer (the new Children's Hospital) and cannot adequately describe what a phenomenal and beautiful facility it is. The other facilities I toured during my interview day were also nice, especially the BSLC, which contains the large lecture halls and anatomy lab, yet in all honesty, I am a little curious to see more of the hospital/research facilities and how they compare to Comer...

Aside from the awesome facilities, I also find Pritzker's location very appealing. The Hyde Park population seems highly diverse, giving rise to excellent opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds and socioeconomic status. The campus, itself, hosts 6 professional schools (including Pritzker Med) and the Undergraduate school. It seemed to me the result of this integration was a true academic and cultural enclave, laden with parks and gothic architecture amidst the Hyde Park neighborhood. The teaching philosophy that DNM alluded to in his/her post is another significant plus for me. With access to such a wide variety of academic and cultural opportunities on the campus and in the Hyde Park/Chicago area, I was elated to hear the administration openly encourage me to continue pursuing my interests outside of medicine. I spoke with a med student who performed with the symphonic orchestra all throughout completing his MD/PhD and many who had taken classes in either the business or law schools. I was especially surprised to hear how many students go on to complete additional degrees at U. of Chicago. While few students pursue the full MD/PhD, the Summer Research program offers opportunities for over 60 MSIs to engage in research at Pritzker between the first and second years. With all of these opportunities, the hard part for me will lie in choosing which interests to pursue during my time at Pritzker!

Perhaps most importantly, Pritzker's academic and clinical opportunities are truly first-rate. During the pre-clinical years, the USMLE Step I doesn't define the cirriculum. At Pritzker, a lot of the teaching is didactic (which is perfect for me considering the thought of an entirely PBL-based cirriculum scares me) but more importantly, the primary goal of these years at Pritzker, as I understand it, is to teach students what they need to know to be highly effective doctors. Some MSIIs were honest with me that although they approved of the cirriculum, they thought it made preparing for the Step I a little more stressful than they would have liked, but the MSIVs maintained that Prtizker's reputation for excellent clinical training compensated for the lower-than-expected Step I average. Looking at the Match lists from previous years, I cannot doubt the legitimacy of their claim. Not only does Pritzker holds high expectations of its student body, but I also think giving MSIs full-length white coats during the White Coat Ceremony demonstrates the extent to which faculty respect Pritzker students.

The only reservation I once had about Pritzker was the $300,000 price tag. Looking at loans to fully cover my costs of living and tuition makes me wince, but I know that this is an investment in my career and future. I did not (nor do I) question my choice to withdraw my application from all other med schools I applied to once I was accepted to Pritzker... Oh, and before I forget, did I mention Pass/Faill for the first 2 years??? :thumbup: :D :thumbup:

Best of luck in choosing med schools. Just choose what you feel is right for you, though. :luck:

Congratulations to those of you who have been accepted. We look forward to seeing you here in Chicago next year.

ads99
MS1 at Pritzker

frostynorthwind said:
The only reservation I once had about Pritzker was the $300,000 price tag.

For real? Almost a third of a million?

hey frosty! i read your whole essay on how great pritzker is and knew who had written it without seeing! ahaha i'm totally in love with the place for all the reasons you just mentioned too! right now, it's the perfect mix of all that i want - in an awesome city, only 3 hours from home, but still completely feels liks a college campus. and i really love the dorky reputation it has...everyone's a thinker, and that's exactly who i want to be surrounded by! if i had to choose now, i would go to pritzker...but i still have 6 months to decide and several post-interview decisions to receive! so who knows!

frosty, any idea which second visit weekend you'll go to? i've been in touch with "banana", also on our interview day, and we wanted to go on the same day!

Hi guys! Yeah, definitely let me know when you are going to second look so we can go the same day! For me right now I think it is definitely between Pritzker and UMich but it's definitely going to be a hard choice. And I'm still waiting to hear from some other schools as well.

Frostywind...you're from KS right? You are definitely going to love Chicago. You really can't beat it. Awesome city but filled with friendly Midwesterners!

Hello everyone...I called Pritzker yesterday to check on decisions and I was told that it takes 6-8 weeks following the interview. Sorry if this is a repeat of info. from somewhere else on SDN. I am definitely waiting to hear back too...PRITZKER Rocks!

I was invited to interview on 12/15, interviewed on 1/31 and got my big packet in the mail yesterday, 2/28! YAY! I am sooooo excited to be accepted. I applied there as a shot in the dark in the first place, never thinking I would be interviewed, much less accepted! I am a southern California girl, born and raised and I am still awaiting the decision of my only California interview, UC Davis, but as of right now, I am going to Chicago - I LOVED it there and had such a great interview day. I agree with every good word said in the earlier posts....this place is a dream school and I am now officially relieved! I am soooo ditching a class this week, lol :D