University of Chicago-Pritzker Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Falco2525

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I thought it might be time to start one of these threads...who all is looking like they may be a Pritzker next year...also post questions on here that you want current students to answer...

my first question is how do most students get to campus (car, train etc) and if by car is there enough parking and do you have to pay for parking...also where do most students live (Grad student housing)...are there other good areas to live?

Members don't see this ad.

Yay. I have no clue where I'm going yet, but right now they're definitely at the top of my list... :D

Hey everyone! I'm super excited about having been accepted at Pritzker. I have a few reservations but I absolutely loved it when I visited, I'll probably be at the second revisit day. Congratulations to everyone, and best of luck on the other schools you are still waiting to hear from!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey everyone! like everyone else I am super excited about my admission to pritzker... i love the school, the hospitals it's affiliated with and i think chicago is amazing, so it's pretty much all around wonderful. the only thing that gives me a little bit of pause is all the time in exams and the average board scores. i'm not sure yet if that's enough to drive me away.... the atmosphere and ethos of the school seem to fit me perfectly, and i can't think of a nicer city to spend the middle of your 20s in. all in all, i guess i'm just waiting on financial aid from all the schools to make a final decision.

just wanted to add my hat in the ring and say hello to all the new admits!

hey everyone! like everyone else I am super excited about my admission to pritzker... i love the school, the hospitals it's affiliated with and i think chicago is amazing, so it's pretty much all around wonderful. the only thing that gives me a little bit of pause is all the time in exams and the average board scores. i'm not sure yet if that's enough to drive me away.... the atmosphere and ethos of the school seem to fit me perfectly, and i can't think of a nicer city to spend the middle of your 20s in. all in all, i guess i'm just waiting on financial aid from all the schools to make a final decision.

just wanted to add my hat in the ring and say hello to all the new admits!

Hey Sara I know you were accepted very near the same time I was but have you gotten your acceptance letter yet? I have not...just wondering if you did? Also does anyone know if scholarships are usually offered with the acceptance letter or if not when does it usually occur?

It takes about 10 days post phone call. I think scholarship offers are made when they call and accept you. Don't know this for sure, but just from other posts on SDN.

my first question is how do most students get to campus (car, train etc) and if by car is there enough parking and do you have to pay for parking...also where do most students live (Grad student housing)...are there other good areas to live?

Whew. There are a lot of questions in there....

1. Students that live near campus either walk if it's walkable for them, bike, or take a bus. They are all equally convenient in my opinion, especially since they've just done a huge overhaul of the bus routes to make them more accessible. Those who live farther away (north side, south loop, etc.) almost all drive, but some take the el or Metra.

2. Most people park on the street, but there is a lot about two blocks away from the BSLC and right across the street, which is probably the most convenient thing ever. The only drawback is that it'll run you $80/mo. Street parking is definitely doable, but you might have to walk for 5 min. or so to get to class; also, the window for available parking is small, so that if you feel like skipping your 8:30 lecture, for example, you'll have to search a bit more. Street parking is 100% free, unless you absolutely need to be within a block of the hospital (you don't). If you hear something about needing a Club or else you'll be the only person on the street without one, it's a bunch of crap. 99% of the cars here don't have one in my experience, and I can't imagine cars get broken into here more than in any other part of the city (or in any other big city, for that matter).

3. In every first-year class, I'd say roughly 90% live in Hyde Park; the rest live either in Lincoln Park, the west loop, south loop, etc. HP is much cheaper and closer obviously, and it's generally a nice place, so people like it for those reasons. I've not met a single person living outside of Hyde Park who regretted their decision to do so, though. I live in the south loop, and I absolutely love it. It will definitely take some researching to decide where you want to end up living. As the classes progress, more and more people move up north, so I'd say about 30-40% or so of fourth-years live outside of HP.

Hope that helps! BTW, congrats on getting into a great school. I'm sure because you've done so that you've probably got a lot of other great schools to choose from too, but go with your gut. Go to the school where you feel most comfortable.

its pretty premature to be asking sincei haven't interviwed yet but i am curious, what is the most recent deal with international house? i googled it and there were some not so nice stories, do med students live there? and have situations improved?

It takes about 10 days post phone call. I think scholarship offers are made when they call and accept you. Don't know this for sure, but just from other posts on SDN.

I really want to go to chicago..but it is just so expensive...I am hoping to get some sort of a grant to make it better...another school that I was accepted to offered me one that makes Chicago twice as expensive...but if Chicago is even close I will choose it...so I am holding out hope that I get lucky with financial aid...

Also does anyone who got their acceptance letter know how we are supposed to hold our position in the class...I was accepted via phone but my letter is likely sitting at my school but now I am home for Christmas...I just do not want to lose my place...any advice? I will probably call tomorrow and tell them the situation but I just wondered if you all knew anything I didnt!

Hello,

I am also very excited about my acceptance to UChicago! I am undergrad here, and the school is amazing. I have never been happy.

In terms of accepting the spot, you need to mail them a form with your decision. Luckily, there is no payment required, just the letter!! I am not sure if you can call. I do think it said that they will contact you within two weeks or so if you do not reply. I think calling would be best, since you probably won't be back at school for another two or three weeks.

Congrats to everyone!

Hey Sara I know you were accepted very near the same time I was but have you gotten your acceptance letter yet? I have not...just wondering if you did? Also does anyone know if scholarships are usually offered with the acceptance letter or if not when does it usually occur?

Dean's promise (full-tuition) scholarships are offered with the acceptance letter. Other (smaller) merit scholarships are given with the financial aid award.

Dean's promise (full-tuition) scholarships are offered with the acceptance letter. Other (smaller) merit scholarships are given with the financial aid award.

Is it possible to receive a merit scholarship if you don't apply for financial aid?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it possible to receive a merit scholarship if you don't apply for financial aid?

Yes. Like I wrote above, the dean's promise scholarships (full-tuition) come with your acceptance in the mail. That is before financial aid applications are made.

Yes. Like I wrote above, the dean's promise scholarships (full-tuition) come with your acceptance in the mail. That is before financial aid applications are made.

I am thinking that I did not get this...I have not gotten my mailed letter yet because I am home for the hollidays but I got Chicago to send me a copy of the actual acceptance letter...unless the scholarship is listed elsewhere in the packet I did not get one yet...

I am thinking that I did not get this...I have not gotten my mailed letter yet because I am home for the hollidays but I got Chicago to send me a copy of the actual acceptance letter...unless the scholarship is listed elsewhere in the packet I did not get one yet...

It's on the acceptance letter, not elsewhere in the packet.

However, they still often offer up to half-tuition merit scholarships when they give out the financial aid award letters (this happens after we submit that FAFSA and all of that other great stuff).

It's on the acceptance letter, not elsewhere in the packet.

However, they still often offer up to half-tuition merit scholarships when they give out the financial aid award letters (this happens after we submit that FAFSA and all of that other great stuff).

To potentially receive a smaller up to half-tuition merit scholarship is it necessary to fill out FAFSA and the various other financial aid forms?

To potentially receive a smaller up to half-tuition merit scholarship is it necessary to fill out FAFSA and the various other financial aid forms?

For U Chicago, I believe awards other than the dean's promise scholarship are given to you as a part of your general financial aid award. So, yes, you probably have to fill out everything. You will have to do this anyway for every school you are considering attending.

man guys, this thread got super far down.

does anyone know the answer to whether we should file an application for on-campus housing even if we aren't sure yet whether we're attending uchicago or not? their on-campus housing looks pretty good, and i want to live in hyde park my first (but ONLY my first!) year if i end up going.

anyone?

plus, it would be great if any current pritzker kids on sdn could identify themselves so we could have a base of people to ask questions to! if you're out there, represent!

plus, it would be great if any current pritzker kids on sdn could identify themselves so we could have a base of people to ask questions to! if you're out there, represent!

Yo. Ask away! There are a few of us lurking around here, and I'm sure any of us would be happy to respond to questions either here or via PM. Also, check out the Bulletin Board through the Pritzker site. They'll be adding some students as moderators shortly and some questions can be answered there as well.

What's on your mind?

should we file an application for on-campus housing even if we aren't sure yet whether we're attending uchicago or not? The website says to be scared, cause they run out quick...

Hmm, that's a tough one because I don't know too many people living in university housing. I'd call the OME first to see if they've ever dealt with anyone who did this, and you can probably call the housing office too to see if applying before you're actually a student is doable.

Anyone know how AOA is determined since Pritzker is P/F?

Anyone know how AOA is determined since Pritzker is P/F?

Not 100% sure, but it's based on grades in 3rd year, research and volunteer activities, board scores, and faculty input at the very least. It's tough because there's not much to distinguish students from each other since there is no ranking and largely no grades here, so the methodology is a bit different than at other schools, I imagine.

Hi everyone! I was just accepted to Pritzker I am THRILLED :love: I will definitely be there next fall! I live in Hyde Park right now, so I can also answer questions about living in the area if anyone has any.
In the meanwhile, congrats to all of you -- hopefully we'll meet in the fall!

Hi everyone! I was just accepted to Pritzker I am THRILLED :love: I will definitely be there next fall! I live in Hyde Park right now, so I can also answer questions about living in the area if anyone has any.
In the meanwhile, congrats to all of you -- hopefully we'll meet in the fall!

Congrats!

I have a question that I've asked a million times--I'm not sure whether I should live in Hyde Park or South Loop, or somewhere else. I'm married and want to live in as safe of a neighborhood as possible, with a doable commute to school. Any thoughts?

Congrats!

I have a question that I've asked a million times--I'm not sure whether I should live in Hyde Park or South Loop, or somewhere else. I'm married and want to live in as safe of a neighborhood as possible, with a doable commute to school. Any thoughts?

Hi! I'm getting married in June and have lived with my fiance in hyde park (near 53rd and Woodlawn) for almost 2 years and we really like it for its convenience to campus. It's not the safest place from midnight to 6am, but there are night shuttles that can take you home if you stay at the library late, and there's a "drunk van" that you can call to bring you home after the shuttles stop running. I've never had any bad experiences myself, but I don't walk around much after dark and I use the same kind of caution I would use anywhere in Chicago, including the South Loop. If you decide to live in Hyde Park, however, you should probably limit yourself to the area north of 59th street, south of 47th street, and east of, say, Inglewood. The farther east, I think, the better. If you decide to commute, keep in mind that you'll have a really hard time finding parking on campus after 8am, and though there is a parking garage really close to the BSLC, you'll have to buy a parking pass every quarter and I don't know how much that costs. It's wicked expensive if you don't have a pass.
Anyway, I think it's worth living where I am because it's right next to a grocery store, bank, CVS, and bus stop for the 172, which goes right by the BSLC. And it's a 15 minute walk, which is not bad.
Good luck finding a place! Let me know if you have more questions :)
*Karen

Hi! I'm getting married in June and have lived with my fiance in hyde park (near 53rd and Woodlawn) for almost 2 years and we really like it for its convenience to campus. It's not the safest place from midnight to 6am, but there are night shuttles that can take you home if you stay at the library late, and there's a "drunk van" that you can call to bring you home after the shuttles stop running. I've never had any bad experiences myself, but I don't walk around much after dark and I use the same kind of caution I would use anywhere in Chicago, including the South Loop. If you decide to live in Hyde Park, however, you should probably limit yourself to the area north of 59th street, south of 47th street, and east of, say, Inglewood. The farther east, I think, the better. If you decide to commute, keep in mind that you'll have a really hard time finding parking on campus after 8am, and though there is a parking garage really close to the BSLC, you'll have to buy a parking pass every quarter and I don't know how much that costs. It's wicked expensive if you don't have a pass.
Anyway, I think it's worth living where I am because it's right next to a grocery store, bank, CVS, and bus stop for the 172, which goes right by the BSLC. And it's a 15 minute walk, which is not bad.
Good luck finding a place! Let me know if you have more questions :)
*Karen

Thanks Karen! I guess one thing that I'm wondering is--is South Loop (or other areas around there) safer than Hyde Park?

I'm strongly leaning towards living in that area if I attend UofC, because it would be better for my wife (closer to the city, and to the jobs that she is considering). I guess maybe I'm over thinking this, given that I'm not even sure that I'm going to Pritzker yet.

Thanks Karen! I guess one thing that I'm wondering is--is South Loop (or other areas around there) safer than Hyde Park?

I'm strongly leaning towards living in that area if I attend UofC, because it would be better for my wife (closer to the city, and to the jobs that she is considering). I guess maybe I'm over thinking this, given that I'm not even sure that I'm going to Pritzker yet.

Honestly, I don't know how safe South Loop is compared to Hyde Park. Hyde Park is surrounded by kind of sketchy areas, and I've definitely heard of people getting robbed in the early morning hours (VERY RARELY in the light hours within the boundaries I mentioned earlier), but I don't know if it's more common in Hyde Park than anywhere else this close into the city. Of course, you could live in Hyde Park the first year and see if you like it, see if it feels safe enough for you two, and then decide if you want to move closer to downtown you can do that in the break between M1 and M2. Also, the stretch of LSD (Lake Shore Drive) between Hyde Park and the South Loop is really not too bad, even during rush hour, so it probably wouldn't make too much of a difference to live in one place over the other as far as your wife's commute goes, if she's driving.
Just out of curiosity, what other schools are you weighing against Pritzker? Chicago is an amazing city and I highly recommend it!

Honestly, I don't know how safe South Loop is compared to Hyde Park. Hyde Park is surrounded by kind of sketchy areas, and I've definitely heard of people getting robbed in the early morning hours (VERY RARELY in the light hours within the boundaries I mentioned earlier), but I don't know if it's more common in Hyde Park than anywhere else this close into the city. Of course, you could live in Hyde Park the first year and see if you like it, see if it feels safe enough for you two, and then decide if you want to move closer to downtown you can do that in the break between M1 and M2. Also, the stretch of LSD (Lake Shore Drive) between Hyde Park and the South Loop is really not too bad, even during rush hour, so it probably wouldn't make too much of a difference to live in one place over the other as far as your wife's commute goes, if she's driving.
Just out of curiosity, what other schools are you weighing against Pritzker? Chicago is an amazing city and I highly recommend it!

I'm weighing a bunch of schools, but mainly Hopkins and WashU in addition to Pritzker. But Pritzker is currently my top choice because of the city. My wife's response to Baltimore and St. Louis is not very encouraging. I think Chicago would be perfect.

I'm weighing a bunch of schools, but mainly Hopkins and WashU in addition to Pritzker. But Pritzker is currently my top choice because of the city. My wife's response to Baltimore and St. Louis is not very encouraging. I think Chicago would be perfect.

Well good luck in your choice! Those are great schools, also, but Chicago definitely takes the proverbial cake, citywise. If Pritzker has a second-look you can bring your wife along and decide if you can see yourselves here. Let me know if you have other questions or if you want a tour of the neighborhood if you come :)

Does anybody know what the Step 1 average was last year? I'v heard that Pritzker isn't too impressive in this area, and just wanted to find out for sure.

Of course, looking at their amazing match list, does it even matter???

Anyone else still deciding between Pritzker and another school??? If so which way are you leaning?

I'm still deciding, but mostly because I'm waiting for several non-rolling schools on the East Coast. I have been in Chicago all my life, so NYC sounds really good to me.

However, Pritzker is an amazing school. I am an undergrad at UChicago and absolutely love the school. All the students I have met are very sociable and intelligent. Plus, it is a pretty diverse school, since there a great opportunities to perform research or to work in the neighboring communities (I volunteered for a free clinic, which is a great experience; I believe there are two free clinics, too.) I would highly recommend it and am still considering attending, especially if my girlfriend stays in the Midwest for medical school.

Also, if anyone has questions about the campus and such, I am more than willing to answer them.

Anyone else still deciding between Pritzker and another school??? If so which way are you leaning?

I'm still deciding between Pritzker and a few others, but right now am leaning towards Pritzker for sure. I like Chicago a lot more than Baltimore or St. Louis, I got some money so it's cheaper, and I really love their MD/MBA program. I'm looking forward to working it all out in the coming months... :D

Greetings! Just saying hello. I just got accepted to Pritzker's MSTP today, and will start classes this summer. I can't wait! Anyone else from UIUC going to UChicago?

This probably doesn't count, but I went to UIUC for my first year. I then transferred to UChicago. I'm from Oak Lawn, a Southwestern suburb. Are you from a suburb, as well? Also, were you a member of fMRI at UIUC? I was involved in it during my first year--at that time I was interested in MSTP.

This probably doesn't count, but I went to UIUC for my first year. I then transferred to UChicago. I'm from Oak Lawn, a Southwestern suburb. Are you from a suburb, as well? Also, were you a member of fMRI at UIUC? I was involved in it during my first year--at that time I was interested in MSTP.

I am actually from a small town just south of Springfield. I've been to a couple of fMRI meetings throughout the past few months, but they seem geared a lot more toward freshman and sophomores, so I really didn't get much out of them. What made you change your mind about MSTP?

Hey guys - you may have seen me posting on the other Pritzker-related threads...I just wanted to congratulate you all on your acceptances! Pritzker is an amazing place, I've loved every minute of my time here and definitely think you all should come :)

If anyone has any questions about anything Pritzker/Hyde Park related, feel free to post your questions here or PM me and I'm happy to give out my e-mail address. As a current first year, I have a pretty good handle on what you guys can expect. Later!

Man I really want to go to Chicago...my SO has been accepted to Minnesota for grad school and I am waiting for her to hear in the next couple of weeks if she gets into U of C or Northwestern...if she does I will be at U of C for sure...if not I still might be...I love U of C and really want to be there...I really hope she gets in...I am also waiting to hear from Cornell and WashU but for me its between Chicago and Minnesota

I recently received the phone call and am super excited! I was wondering, how long after you received the phone call did the acceptance packet come in the mail?

I recently received the phone call and am super excited! I was wondering, how long after you received the phone call did the acceptance packet come in the mail?

when did u interview?

also congrats! where the heck are my manners?

I'm wondering the same thing. I got the call last week (2/21) Wednesday, but still no letter? I did get a super cute recruitment note though. I like the U of C.... :love:

I am sure that U of C is trying to climb the rankings and that they are on the way up not down them...what this means for the MCAT scores I do not know but I would not be surprised if they are trying to get them up

That article is kinda laughable. What it leaves out is the fact that a high MCAT score would perhaps be looked more favorably upon *to get an interview*. And that will be true no matter what school you're talking about. And having had a lot of exposure to admissions the past few months, and speaking with the administration involved, they place way more weight on you personally and the impression you make than they do on your MCAT score. It might be the MCAT that gets your foot in the door for an interview, but that's about as far as it gets you. While the unfortunate world of the US News rankings will always be out there and cannot be ignored (and should be, if any school hopes to attract the best applicants), it is naive to think the Pritzker AdCom is so shortsighted as to hang its hat on an MCAT score alone.

Whoops, maybe I should have posted in this thread instead of the Pritzker Admissions thread.

Has anyone heard from FinAd yet? I read that they would try to turnaround in 2 weeks, but I sent them my stuff 2/8 (or so) and my FAFSA had already been processed...? I just wanna know!!

Also, hi all, hope to see you in Chicago on revisit day!

Whoops, maybe I should have posted in this thread instead of the Pritzker Admissions thread.

Has anyone heard from FinAd yet? I read that they would try to turnaround in 2 weeks, but I sent them my stuff 2/8 (or so) and my FAFSA had already been processed...? I just wanna know!!

Also, hi all, hope to see you in Chicago on revisit day!

I too want to know...I think they may start sending them out soon. I already revisted...still love the school

Looks like I'm going to revisit on April 23. ... anyone else?