University of Chicago-Pritzker Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have received my pritzker aid and only got 60k over 4 years again because of international status which will make my pritzker education around 200K.

60k seems like a pretty good scholarship. Does Pritzker routinely give out more than that in scholarship money???? I know they give out a few full tuition scholarships but what kind of money, on average, do they give out?

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

60k seems like a pretty good scholarship. Does Pritzker routinely give out more than that in scholarship money???? I know they give out a few full tuition scholarships but what kind of money, on average, do they give out?

Thanks!!!

I received $120k over four years and I've heard of a few others who got the same. Also I've seen several people on SDN who got 50-60k as well. I couldn't tell by my financial aid award how much was "merit" and how much was "need" based...I think it may be a need-merit hybrid that determines award (thanks parents for retiring last year!)

edit: since their grad debt (although high) is less than the cost of attendance by a fair amount and they don't have that many full rides, it seems like 60k over four years isn't unreasonable.

I was reading online about Regents park and there were tons of complaints of constant construction and unbearable noise from it. I would make sure to look into that.

I think I definitely want to live in south loop.

Thanks for the tip Towel, I'll investigate. South Loop sounds nice and I'm OK with the commute (plus, next to whole foods? hell yes), but the prices and lack of available rent apts are depressing. Maybe I can get some rich relative to chip in on a down payment...but owning sounds way too complicated for a med student. At least, for me as a med student :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I received $120k over four years and I've heard of a few others who got the same. Also I've seen several people on SDN who got 50-60k as well. I couldn't tell by my financial aid award how much was "merit" and how much was "need" based...I think it may be a need-merit hybrid that determines award (thanks parents for retiring last year!)

edit: since their grad debt (although high) is less than the cost of attendance by a fair amount and they don't have that many full rides, it seems like 60k over four years isn't unreasonable.

I also got the $120K....seems like there isn't a continuum but just a few different amounts they give to people. They are being very generous considering it is almost full tuition! :thumbup:

How long after you guys submitted financial aid information did you hear about aid?

Hmmmm.... Have you checked out the new US News grad debt rankings??? Pritzker is just less than Rosalind Franklin... the second highest grad debt among allopathic schools. Whats up with that?

How long after you guys submitted financial aid information did you hear about aid?

Submitted info Feb 8-9th, somewhere in there, by snail mail. Aid letter was dated March 15 and I got it March 21 at my home address.

edit: hey tuttut, we can be scholarship twins!

ps: mahasanti, Pritzker is now more than Tufts? I find that hard to believe. But since I'm already in, I'm not paying for new rankings...Glad to see Pritzker went up a bit though!

I just got my package and got 80k... Feel kind of bummed about that considering that it seems like everyone else is getting 120k. Oh well.:rolleyes:

I just got my package and got 80k... Feel kind of bummed about that considering that it seems like everyone else is getting 120k. Oh well.:rolleyes:

I got 60k and was happy with that seeing as how because of my parents income I was definitly not need based

Hmmmm.... Have you checked out the new US News grad debt rankings??? Pritzker is just less than Rosalind Franklin... the second highest grad debt among allopathic schools. Whats up with that?

Pritzker is also the 11th hardest schools to get into...

The grad debt rankings are actually free!

And, yeah, Pritzker is $3,000 more than tufts. Strange. I wonder why such the change from last year.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/webextras/brief/sb_med_debt_brief.php

Hey, thanks for the link. I clicked on pritzker itself from the main page and it didn't show me the debt....Guess I didn't look hard enough.

I wonder if partially this can be explained through the # of Pritzker students who take a fifth year to get another degree -- loan interest might accumulate, living-expense loans might still be needed, etc.

Of course in the end what matters is YOUR debt, not average school debt, and I'm looking at ~130k if I accept maximum loans. It seems like a lot, but heck, I'm not going into primary care (waits for flames)...

as to average debt, its probably the most useless statistic on schools as these are the only ways to lower debt are:

give scholarships
have lots of md/phds
recruit kids with rich parents

seems like uc at least has the scholarship part down.

and, as the quaker mentioned, all that matters is what youre paying. uc will mos def be the cheapest school for me, as ridiculous as that may seem.

grats to everyone gettin money!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, could you guys with your finaid back tell me about how long the turnaround from turning it in to getting it back was? I just turned mine in last week :rolleyes: and i'm waiting for it, wondering when i might be expecting it back.

hey, could you guys with your finaid back tell me about how long the turnaround from turning it in to getting it back was? I just turned mine in last week :rolleyes: and i'm waiting for it, wondering when i might be expecting it back.

Look up about six or seven posts and also check page 2. Those of us who applied early Feb got stuff in mid-March. Can't comment on turnaround after that since they might bog down w/ applicants...on the other hand, they said mine at least was delayed because they were still syncing the admissions and financial aid computer systems, so yours might be faster.

thanks. also, does anyone have any idea when the roommate matching board is gonna be put up?
we are having a roommate matching board, right?

i just got a scrub top from pritzker in the mail. i must say that this beats the pens and postcards i received from other places. plus it had a cute note that said if you come, we'll give you the pants.

i just got a scrub top from pritzker in the mail. i must say that this beats the pens and postcards i received from other places. plus it had a cute note that said if you come, we'll give you the pants.

Haha, yeah, Pritzker wins for admissions friendliness and cool stuff giveaway. I got mine a while back and wear it to the gym all the time. It's a lil' big though...and I'm not a small person!!

Anyone find any good resources on housing? Googling "Chicago apartments" (like googling "real estate" anywhere) returns pages and pages of crap sites that want nothing more than to send me spam-mail and show me paid apartment advertisements. Grr.

Haha, yeah, Pritzker wins for admissions friendliness and cool stuff giveaway. I got mine a while back and wear it to the gym all the time. It's a lil' big though...and I'm not a small person!!

Anyone find any good resources on housing? Googling "Chicago apartments" (like googling "real estate" anywhere) returns pages and pages of crap sites that want nothing more than to send me spam-mail and show me paid apartment advertisements. Grr.

yeah they sent me an XL...I needed a L oh well it was a great idea

Check craigslist Chicago. I've found some great South Loop stuff:)

Check craigslist Chicago. I've found some great South Loop stuff:)

Towel, as always, you're a gentleman/gentlewoman (I'm not sure...such is the nature of SDN :D) Thanks. Now, let's see if there's anything I can afford...

In other news, I spend way too much time on SDN and not nearly enough on my classes. Here's to only taking 12 credits!

yeah they sent me an XL...I needed a L oh well it was a great idea

yeah mine's a Large and i could do with a small or medium (i am a female). but i guess its not nice to send smaller sizes and run the risk of ppl not fitting in to them. its a lot safer to go bigger.

yeah mine's a Large and i could do with a small or medium (i am a female). but i guess its not nice to send smaller sizes and run the risk of ppl not fitting in to them. its a lot safer to go bigger.

true...they did take pictures of us though...

true...they did take pictures of us though...

Augh, they must have said "man, that guy looks fat in a suit, send him an XL" ... really guys it's just because I've had it since high school and college was hard on me...really...

On that note, does anyone know about fitness facilities at Pritzker? Do we get access to that big shiny gym the undergrads use? Or is there a specific facility? I've been to so many med schools I can't keep them straight anymore. Good thing I'm going back for revisit later this month...

edit: http://athletics.uchicago.edu/facilities/ratnercenter.htm. Whoa, shiny indeed.

Augh, they must have said "man, that guy looks fat in a suit, send him an XL" ... really guys it's just because I've had it since high school and college was hard on me...really...

On that note, does anyone know about fitness facilities at Pritzker? Do we get access to that big shiny gym the undergrads use? Or is there a specific facility? I've been to so many med schools I can't keep them straight anymore. Good thing I'm going back for revisit later this month...

im pretty sure we get access the the big shiny gym the undergrads use...if i remember right there are graduate school intramural leagues...

Do we get access to that big shiny gym the undergrads use? Or is there a specific facility?

Yep. It's pretty brand new, and pretty period. It's free, but they do charge for towels though (boo), so you might consider getting some dishtowels at Target and using them as workout towels. Seriously. I got like 6 for $4, and it was glorious to beat the system. Who charges for towels?!?

Okay I'm over it.

You also get access to Henry Crown, which is far older and for a while was the primary gym on campus. They have a big weight room, wrestling/combat rooms, racquetball/squash courts, more bball courts, and some other workout-associated things that I'm too lazy to list.

In general, anything undergrads can do, you can do.

Hi everyone! I'm definitely sure I'm going to be at Pritzker in the fall :) I already live in Hyde Park and have been involved with the University for a couple of years now. I got my scrubs top in the mail awhile ago and emailed Joni to ask a couple of questions and thank her for the top, and she said that they give size XL to men and L to women...she said that if the size you get is really not right, they can exchange it for one that really fits you once Fall rolls around. Too bad I can't wear my cool scrub top until then (I practically drown in a size L), but I got a Pritzker t-shirt for my birthday and I've been wearing that to the gym instead!
It's so nice to meet future Pritzkerites here before the Fall!

For what it's worth, I literally am sitting next to a first-year at Rush right now at Starbucks...looks like she wants to shoot herself.

Edit: ****, she caught me...but confirmed my observations.

So you didnt feel that way when you were an m1 at pritzker? :)

hey everybody,

wanted to ask real quick, is the admitted students bulletin board working? it isn't for me, i seem to recall you would put your email and pass in, agree to the terms, and then you would see the boards. im tryin to get in now, but after agreeing it takes me to some u of c forums page and asks for a name and password again, which i dont remember happening before. maybe its just been so long that i forgot, but if it's working for everyone else let me know.

hey everybody,

wanted to ask real quick, is the admitted students bulletin board working? it isn't for me, i seem to recall you would put your email and pass in, agree to the terms, and then you would see the boards. im tryin to get in now, but after agreeing it takes me to some u of c forums page and asks for a name and password again, which i dont remember happening before. maybe its just been so long that i forgot, but if it's working for everyone else let me know.

Works for me. Took about 20-30 seconds to load after I clicked "I Agree" to the terms and conditions, but it loaded normally otherwise.

works for me too...try again maybe it was down earlier?

count me in 90% to pritzker over WashU. i got a scholarship call today and pritzker was my fave overall i just was consumed by other ppl deriding choosing 15 over 4 in rankings and the fact that washu was my dad's alma mater and stl was my old home. so now its a relief to say hi to my most likely future classmates.

count me in 90% to pritzker over WashU. i got a scholarship call today and pritzker was my fave overall i just was consumed by other ppl deriding choosing 15 over 4 in rankings and the fact that washu was my dad's alma mater and stl was my old home. so now its a relief to say hi to my most likely future classmates.

Good choice, I think. And remember, US News and World Report is probably the worst thing to happen to admissions in recent history. Don't sweat a few places on the list -- both schools are excellent and you know it!

hey congrats! I actually withdrew from WashU's waitlist for Chicago (granted it wasnt an acceptance) but I just felt like Chicago fit me personally better. you cant make a bad choice...congrats on the scholarship!

good times falco, im pretty sure ill be there too, know for sure by the end of the week. i screwed up part of my aid paperwork though so im currently dealing with that mess.

did everybody see the "leaked" rankings that have uc up to 15 or something? the greatest and most legitimate ranking body on earth has given us greater vigor! it is a new era! but seriously, the school is quite good and im looking forward to finally being done with all this picking nonsense.

hey modelS...did u decide on which school you are going to attend? If you dont mind me asking where else are you considering?

just so anyone who's in my boat knows, i called the finaid office today and they said that anyone who submitted around the deadline is looking at about a 3 week turnaround, which really isn't bad at all!

For you guys that already have it back, does it come in an email or on paper? I'm leaving the country so I'm really hoping they can email it to me....

just so anyone who's in my boat knows, i called the finaid office today and they said that anyone who submitted around the deadline is looking at about a 3 week turnaround, which really isn't bad at all!

For you guys that already have it back, does it come in an email or on paper? I'm leaving the country so I'm really hoping they can email it to me....

let them know you will be out of the country and they will likely email it for you

i was between a couple schools in the midwest and california, but i will officially be in chicago next year. (where is that party hat smiley?) lookin forward to seein you all in the end of september! (why does the wait have to be so long?)

I'm so jealous of you guys who have made it final.. But congrats!

I'm about 90% sure I'll be at Pritzker, but still need to wait for financial aid from a few others, which apparantly is going to take forever.

i was between a couple schools in the midwest and california, but i will officially be in chicago next year. (where is that party hat smiley?) lookin forward to seein you all in the end of september! (why does the wait have to be so long?)

the long wait is a bonus in my mind. a long, relaxing summer. yeah there's lots of room to get bored but there's also lots of time to have fun before the mental inundation starts.

Is anyone here going to the May 11 revisit weekend?

Of those of you who have already been to one, how did you enjoy it?

I'm just going to revisit for fun, I'm already 100% sure I'm going to Pritzker!! :D

Is anyone here going to the May 11 revisit weekend?

Of those of you who have already been to one, how did you enjoy it?

I'm just going to revisit for fun, I'm already 100% sure I'm going to Pritzker!! :D

nope thats the date of my college graduation. just wondering general question to all: do you think its weird to go revisit on my own w/ my family ie just go look around on my own and stop by the admissions and financial aid etc so i can refamiliarize myself w/ the staff and my future surroundings?

No not weird at all. Everyone in the office is super nice. I'm briging my parents to one of the re-visit weekends - not to take part in the stuff during the day but to look around at hyde park and downtown chicago with me the weekend before (check out some housing options) and to wander around on their own on monday.

Wow I am really glad to see people starting to get set on pritzker...this fall is going to be awesome...I am looking for a roomate to live at the Regents Park if anyone is interested (im a guy fyi)...its pretty good deal for a 2 bedroom when split between 2 people. Let me know if your interested...or if you are interested in somewhere else you know of I would consider it...Congrats again on your decisions our class is gonna kick a$$

(why does the wait have to be so long?)

ha i know right...had to be the school that started the latest...of course once we start we may wish we were on a break again at points

(why does the wait have to be so long?)

Hey everybody! I'll be with you guys in the fall at Pritzker, but I am going into the MSTP, and the MSTPs start class June 17th. I'm really excited to start, but at the same time, I will miss not having a summer break to speak of.

On a totally unrelated note, are there any other future Pritzker MSTPs around on here?

See you guys in September!

Hey everybody I'm still trying to decide but I'll be at the revist day on April 23rd and want to check out places to live that weekend - any places in hyde park besides Regent's I should definitely check out? Ben, or anyone else, I thought I remembered someone recommending a real estate agent but in my quick scan over this thread I didn't see one mentioned - know of anyone?

Hey everybody I'm still trying to decide but I'll be at the revist day on April 23rd and want to check out places to live that weekend - any places in hyde park besides Regent's I should definitely check out? Ben, or anyone else, I thought I remembered someone recommending a real estate agent but in my quick scan over this thread I didn't see one mentioned - know of anyone?

Can't help you on the real estate, but I'll see you there on April 23! WOnder what else I'm going to do while in Chicago ... going to arrive early Sunday morning and leave Monday after events are over (classes Tuesday, lame).