University of Chicago-Pritzker Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
so is everyone still alive? no convos for days man the other schools are making us look bad

Members don't see this ad.

so is everyone still alive? no convos for days man the other schools are making us look bad

I am still alive I went to the beach for the weekend...so EBI are you still struggling with your decision? Just give in and join us haha! Good luck with that decision...I noticed that no one had spoken in a while. Maybe others went on vacation too

no struggle here. i've surrendered to pritzker (actually about 2 weeks ago). it was my dream school since freshman year; i loved it on the interview day and i found everyone very helpful and awesome. just went on washu revisit and it was amazing but i'm still set on UChicago...all my best friends are gonna be in chicago next year or within 2 hours drive away except one so that's also an added bonus. plus chicago's a cooler city and has better financial aid. and this will sound awful but as a single female who life in med school will prob prevent from going out a whole lot and meeting new people its great that Uchicago has an awesome law and business school....great potential (sorry i had to say it) for datability although i've heard stories about them. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
and this will sound awful but as a single female who life in med school will prob prevent from going out a whole lot and meeting new people its great that Uchicago has an awesome law and business school....great potential (sorry i had to say it) for datability although i've heard stories about them. :laugh:

yeah, better just stick with the (ahem) single male med students :D

Trip report from revisit day!

My host was very cool, living in hyde park doesn't seem so bad now. The pre-day event at the local bar/restaurant/bowling alley was a lot of fun and not quite as awkward as I was expecting.

The school and its attitude towards students was excellent. The staff, deans, etc, all seemed honest and forthcoming about finding the right fit and choosing a school that would make us happy. My faculty member that I met with walked me all around campus while we talked and showed me all his favorite places...quite a friendly place (as we all knew)!!

The current students were awesome and very, very friendly. However, a few students (current and prospective) came off to my poor ass as rich, daddy-is-paying-my-way types. I guess that is to be expected in any school, and the percent is probably lower than at USC or something...Still, if mom and dad are paying the $30k that would be your unsub stafford, don't complain publicly that you didn't get more aid. Your $50k grad debt is going to be a third of mine :mad:

Overall, an outstanding impression, which meshed well with my first impression on interview day. The curriculum changes next year sound good and not too massively different as to be cause for concern.

Trip report from revisit day!

My host was very cool, living in hyde park doesn't seem so bad now. The pre-day event at the local bar/restaurant/bowling alley was a lot of fun and not quite as awkward as I was expecting.

The school and its attitude towards students was excellent. The staff, deans, etc, all seemed honest and forthcoming about finding the right fit and choosing a school that would make us happy. My faculty member that I met with walked me all around campus while we talked and showed me all his favorite places...quite a friendly place (as we all knew)!!

The current students were awesome and very, very friendly. However, a few students (current and prospective) came off to my poor ass as rich, daddy-is-paying-my-way types. I guess that is to be expected in any school, and the percent is probably lower than at USC or something...Still, if mom and dad are paying the $30k that would be your unsub stafford, don't complain publicly that you didn't get more aid. Your $50k grad debt is going to be a third of mine :mad:

Overall, an outstanding impression, which meshed well with my first impression on interview day. The curriculum changes next year sound good and not too massively different as to be cause for concern.

thanks for the great report. what are the curriculum changes for next year? what did students think about the demands of the curriculum?

thanks for the great report. what are the curriculum changes for next year? what did students think about the demands of the curriculum?

major changes involve synchronizing all classes (histo, physio, etc) to cover the same theme of topics at the same time (apparently there was trouble with this in the past); also moving to more of a systems-based approach (rather than organ based? i dunno). i didn't hear any of this officially, so take it with a grain of salt. they seem like logical changes, at least the effort to ensure that you're not talking about the physio of the lungs in one class and histo of the liver in another...

most students said first quarter was really hard, but it got easier after that. second year seemed pretty awesome.

yeah everybody who revisited this weekend hope you had a good time, its a shame schools dont pay for flights etc like for the phds so i could have gone on more. ill have to make up for it by hittin up the 2012's weekends next year

also, for the current first years, i remember hearing that you can test out of mol cell bio if you have a bio degree. when was that exam? hopefully early, because id love to skip that one and i dont think i can remember everything till september let alone next winter.

i was told (not very reliably) that the curriculum changes started the year after the 2007 entering class - does anyone know the real deal on this?

also, can someone confirm the may 15 date for dropping all acceptances but one? i just want to make sure cause it seems like everyone is talking about it recently, and i don't want to get in trouble cause i had it wrong.

double post

but while im at it, yeah may 15th is the deadline.

i was told (not very reliably) that the curriculum changes started the year after the 2007 entering class - does anyone know the real deal on this?

It was hoped that the changes would be in place for this fall. No promises, but it sounded like it would happen.

also, can someone confirm the may 15 date for dropping all acceptances but one? i just want to make sure cause it seems like everyone is talking about it recently, and i don't want to get in trouble cause i had it wrong.

The major change for the 2008 entering class ie not us is that Pritzker is planning on starting earlier (August) in order to isolate anatomy at the beginning...this is not for us though we will have it combined with a ton of other work...should be fun...I think that the little changes ie getting more organization and cooperation b/t classes is for us though

The major change for the 2008 entering class ie not us is that Pritzker is planning on starting earlier (August) in order to isolate anatomy at the beginning...this is not for us though we will have it combined with a ton of other work...should be fun...I think that the little changes ie getting more organization and cooperation b/t classes is for us though

wait. so does this mean that our second year would start in august also (i.e., we'd have a shorter summer after the first year)?

Members don't see this ad :)
wait. so does this mean that our second year would start in august also (i.e., we'd have a shorter summer after the first year)?

Since it would be a time for anatomy only, I think other class years besides MS1s would not be affected.

Since it would be a time for anatomy only, I think other class years besides MS1s would not be affected.

i think our schedule will be the same as it was...i think the schedule change only affects the next entering class

The problem with syncing courses is that each moves at a vastly different rate and for many there is no way to do even similar systems/structures. I believe the initiative in its latest form was proposing not so much changes to physio/anatomy, but changes to genetics, cell bio, biochem. These have a lot of overlap in the curriculum that is redundant. (How many times will you learn Mitotic spindles, Krebs cycle etc.) Physiology, I believe, will integrate a few lectures that inside the courses repeat regularly (ion channels, glucose transporters) and are repeated in other courses like cell bio/neurbio. Some repetition is essential as with histo because it is so important to have a foundation and then build on that foundation with repetition and clinical abnormality. The example of physio and anatomy is, to be honest wrong, because there is a large disparity between the number of systems/organs and the number of dissections and important anatomical features. All of second quarter anatomy is upper and lower limbs and head/neck where there is almost no physiology (physio is two quarters and covers seven systems that are almost all exclusively located in the abdomen and pelvis)

The changes for 2007 will be small and more a result of continuous curriculum review than the initiative. The initiative is a major structural change to facilitate the changes above (put anatomy by itself first so you know where the physio is taking place and everyone has a decent understanding beforehand, move biochem into the same time period as genetics and cell bio...). They are trying to reduce the number of classes at one time and increase time for rotations and research in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th years (think Penn). The major structural overhaul of the initiative means that it will really only affect classes that come after it is implemented. Otherwise, the changes are really a result of continuous curriculum review, even if they facilitate or were proposed as part of the Pritzker Initiative.

They are trying to reduce the number of classes at one time and increase time for rotations and research in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th years (think Penn).

too bad this ain't happening sooner, says i.

too bad this ain't happening sooner, says i.

I agree. I wish it had happened last year, but to be honest I still love the curriculum I am in now. The differences in reality are not that big and I think for next year they really will effectively address most of the repetitive redundancy...strike that... I mean redundancy.

is this true about testing out of cell bio? that'd be sweetness

is this true about testing out of cell bio? that'd be sweetness

The current student who called me a few Wednesdays ago, after hearing that I was pretty strongly into the sciences during undergrad, mentioned the same thing. It does appear to be possible. However, after this summer, will I remember a thing? I mean, I forgot half that crap after the MCAT.

so i've heard lots of people talk about the great clinical training at pritzker, and the amsa surveys (with all their problems, like non-dated responses) certainly reflect this notion.

so what is it exactly that makes pritzker's clinical training so great? what does pritzker do with its ms3/4s that (many/most/all ?) other schools don't?

so i've heard lots of people talk about the great clinical training at pritzker, and the amsa surveys (with all their problems, like non-dated responses) certainly reflect this notion.

so what is it exactly that makes pritzker's clinical training so great? what does pritzker do with its ms3/4s that (many/most/all ?) other schools don't?

I have heard this too...and wonder the same thing...I would guess that it is the amount of hands on experience they get and limited scut work...from what I hear the students are really a part of the team in the diagnosis and treatment processes of patients and are more involved than mere shadowing...this is all speculation of course

If I were to speculate, great clinical training stems from several roots. One might be that Pritzker faculty are all full-time. So, when you're in the hospital, your attendings are dedicated to education and probably find you to be something more than just a hassle. Another reason might be that, from what I've seen, volunteering in departments during the first two years is encouraged and so extra experience is probably gained. But, again, that's just my opinion.

In other news, rumor has it that Pritzker is among the top 3 schools in Step 2 scores...

If I were to speculate, great clinical training stems from several roots. One might be that Pritzker faculty are all full-time. So, when you're in the hospital, your attendings are dedicated to education and probably find you to be something more than just a hassle. Another reason might be that, from what I've seen, volunteering in departments during the first two years is encouraged and so extra experience is probably gained. But, again, that's just my opinion.

In other news, rumor has it that Pritzker is among the top 3 schools in Step 2 scores...

i heard this about the step 2 scores also

I have heard this too...and wonder the same thing...I would guess that it is the amount of hands on experience they get and limited scut work...from what I hear the students are really a part of the team in the diagnosis and treatment processes of patients and are more involved than mere shadowing...this is all speculation of course

so can any current students tell us what makes pritzker's clinical training so different from the rest?

The reasons people have offered certainly play some part in it, although I don't know whether all faculty are full-time. I can name a few that aren't, but yes, the majority are.

I've not done any clinical work yet so I'm probably not the most well-equipped person to answer this question, but I'll offer up a few thoughts.

The suggestion that third year here is very hands-on most definitely plays some role in it. As I've said perhaps here or on another thread, my former classmates who are now in third year have repeatedly been surprised at how much they do on their rotations, whether its operating or making decisions about treatments or whatever. Of course, the faculty here is great and generally very devoted to educating students. At any school, there are a few bad bugs that don't want their time wasted dealing with us peasants, but I've found the faculty on the whole to be extremely amenable to teaching. I don't see any reason that this would be different during the clinical years since the vast majority of our preclinical lecturers are themselves clinicians.

Another thing that helps is that our patient population is very unique, even in relation to other hospitals in Chicago. Many, many patients that are seen here are very sick and have often let their diseases progress due to lack of ability to pay that the buck stops here, so to speak. This, unfortunately, makes for good physical findings and a great learning environment.

One thing that often gets overlooked when talking about clinical competence is the preclinical curriculum. We have many more essay-style (or non-MCQ-style, at least) exams than most schools, and it often forces you to think in a different, more critical way about the material you're being taught (and study this material in this manner as well), rather than memorizing facts for the sole purpose of killing the boards. (Incidentally, I feel this is a major reason we don't come anywhere close to killing the boards on average, but it's okay because we consistently do very well in the match. I digress.) As a result, I feel like we often come at patients, who generally tend not to be MCQs, from a different, more thoughtful angle. This is also enhanced because many students have taken at least some time off to do research, get another degree, etc., and so they automatically bring unique experiences and knowledge to the table.

Hey folks,

Another awesome thing that I was just reminded of is that the hospital will be switching over to electronic medical records within 2-3 years. Currently, pretty much the entire hospital is run on a paper system, which is extremely and unnecessarily archaic. Fortunately, it appears that you guys won't have to deal with that.

Good times.

:eek: I got the call from David Owen yesterday, and am totally accepting and dropping everything else. The school really stood out from other places I interviewed. After interview day I knew it was my top choice.

I live in Chicago, on the north side, and will be looking for a place closer to Hyde Park.

I had a question for current students (yes, I will soon ask the appropriate people at the school, but wanted to get some student input). For the 1st & 2nd year electives, the website says we take them in spring quarter. Is that just it? Or can we (or are we required to) take them in Fall & winter quarter as well? Some of the electives are pretty small = 2-6 students allowed per elective. Is there a lot of competition for certain electives? Do second years have priority, is it first come first serve?

Not sure if revisit day will be May 11 or May 4.....either way I can't wait to go!

~Leo the ex-teacher/photographer-on-hold/lifelong-artist

For the 1st & 2nd year electives, the website says we take them in spring quarter. Is that just it? Or can we (or are we required to) take them in Fall & winter quarter as well? Some of the electives are pretty small = 2-6 students allowed per elective. Is there a lot of competition for certain electives? Do second years have priority, is it first come first serve?

In general, you can take any class you want, any time. However, during the fall and winter of first year, I guarantee you won't have the time. I've never heard of anyone taking an elective during these quarters; not even the guy in my class who took 7 electives on top of spring courses and research took electives then.

I've not heard of any competition for electives, but I'm sure if it happened, they would do everything they could to accommodate everyone. Second years largely tend not to take electives since that tends to be precious CPP and/or boards studying time, so it tends not to be an issue regarding competition either. Regardless, there is definitely no "seniority" in terms of enrolling for classes - absolutely on the side of first come, first served.

:eek: I got the call from David Owen yesterday, and am totally accepting and dropping everything else. The school really stood out from other places I interviewed. After interview day I knew it was my top choice.

I live in Chicago, on the north side, and will be looking for a place closer to Hyde Park.

I had a question for current students (yes, I will soon ask the appropriate people at the school, but wanted to get some student input). For the 1st & 2nd year electives, the website says we take them in spring quarter. Is that just it? Or can we (or are we required to) take them in Fall & winter quarter as well? Some of the electives are pretty small = 2-6 students allowed per elective. Is there a lot of competition for certain electives? Do second years have priority, is it first come first serve?

Not sure if revisit day will be May 11 or May 4.....either way I can't wait to go!

~Leo the ex-teacher/photographer-on-hold/lifelong-artist

I am glad to see another student join us....join our facebook group:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2351986793

The reasons people have offered certainly play some part in it, although I don't know whether all faculty are full-time. I can name a few that aren't, but yes, the majority are.

I've not done any clinical work yet so I'm probably not the most well-equipped person to answer this question, but I'll offer up a few thoughts.

The suggestion that third year here is very hands-on most definitely plays some role in it. As I've said perhaps here or on another thread, my former classmates who are now in third year have repeatedly been surprised at how much they do on their rotations, whether its operating or making decisions about treatments or whatever. Of course, the faculty here is great and generally very devoted to educating students. At any school, there are a few bad bugs that don't want their time wasted dealing with us peasants, but I've found the faculty on the whole to be extremely amenable to teaching. I don't see any reason that this would be different during the clinical years since the vast majority of our preclinical lecturers are themselves clinicians.

Another thing that helps is that our patient population is very unique, even in relation to other hospitals in Chicago. Many, many patients that are seen here are very sick and have often let their diseases progress due to lack of ability to pay that the buck stops here, so to speak. This, unfortunately, makes for good physical findings and a great learning environment.

One thing that often gets overlooked when talking about clinical competence is the preclinical curriculum. We have many more essay-style (or non-MCQ-style, at least) exams than most schools, and it often forces you to think in a different, more critical way about the material you're being taught (and study this material in this manner as well), rather than memorizing facts for the sole purpose of killing the boards. (Incidentally, I feel this is a major reason we don't come anywhere close to killing the boards on average, but it's okay because we consistently do very well in the match. I digress.) As a result, I feel like we often come at patients, who generally tend not to be MCQs, from a different, more thoughtful angle. This is also enhanced because many students have taken at least some time off to do research, get another degree, etc., and so they automatically bring unique experiences and knowledge to the table.

thanks, ben!

any more insight on this from other pritzker students?

A question that has been asked on a nother thread that i think would go well here is how much do Pritzker students participate in "non-intellectual" EC's...what do they do in their free-time besides study....or is there any...or do they?

A question that has been asked on a nother thread that i think would go well here is how much do Pritzker students participate in "non-intellectual" EC's...what do they do in their free-time besides study....or is there any...or do they?

In general, there is very little free time here, and we are studying for 99% of it. It's awful.

Kidding.

People do all sorts of crazy ****. Just as an example, in my class alone, one girl coached the girls' lacrosse team on campus (I think it was lacrosse); another girl is a supermarathoner and ran a 50-mile run during spring quarter of our first year; one guy was a track coach for the track team; I played racquetball fairly often with a group of about 10 other guys in the mornings; others do research and work jobs; another girl was finishing up her MPH at Columbia and would travel to NYC from time to time; a good deal of the class has significant others, and a handful have kids; one guy is part of the biking club and is an amateur photographer and chef; I, along with a few of my classmates, was in the a cappella group here and practiced once or twice a week; essentially every class has IM soccer, football, softball, broomball, tennis, and basketball teams (and we dominate); most people are involved with at least one student group of some kind; etc. etc. etc.

Again, as with pretty much everything I say, this is just one example, but it can give you an idea of how diverse and active the classes are here from year to year. To me, it was surprising to see how unique everyone was upon meeting them and hearing about their lives, but it was even more refreshing to see that people still pursue their interests and passions to this day.

hey everybody,

quick question for people who are going for sure: is there anything we need to do before may 15th besides withdrawing from all other schools? like pay a deposit or anything?

hey everybody,

quick question for people who are going for sure: is there anything we need to do before may 15th besides withdrawing from all other schools? like pay a deposit or anything?

Remember that form they sent us when we got accepted, that had "I'm coming for sure", "maybe i'm coming" and "decline"? As far as I know if you checked the I'm definitely coming box, you're all set. David/other admin people didn't say anything about it at revisit day. Also, Pritzker has no deposit -- that I am positive about.

hey everybody,

I would email Joni, or someone else, and tell them that you're coming and have withdrawn all of your other acceptances.

I would email Joni, or someone else, and tell them that you're coming and have withdrawn all of your other acceptances.

yeah thats what i did...Joni and Davd are awesome...part of the draw to U Chicago...I also hear Dean Humphry and others are really nice too!

so who all is still debating their decisions? Anyone else join for sure?

pritzker current students, what's housing on cornell street like. is it in the safezone? also i have a random question, i was looking at the first year schedule for last year ?? and i'm having trouble comprehending this trimester thing and winter break, about how long is winter break in MS1/MS2? thanks.

pritzker current students, what's housing on cornell street like. is it in the safezone? also i have a random question, i was looking at the first year schedule for last year ?? and i'm having trouble comprehending this trimester thing and winter break, about how long is winter break in MS1/MS2? thanks.

Cornell is fine. It's actually in a pretty nice area with cool walkups and some decent restaurants. Some of my friends live further south on Cornell (around 58th, I think) and have a great view of the museum.

Winter break for the first two years is roughly four weeks. (For instance, this year, it was from 12/6 or 12/7 through 1/3. In general, exams finish during the first week of December and you go back ASAP after New Year's.) Spring break is a week. Summer is like 13 weeks or so.

Hey guys,

I saw lots of people talking about the curriculum changes and asking questions about clinical stuff...so I thought I would attempt to address some of them as best I could (considering I'm still just an MS1...although not for long!)

This year there was a placement test to place out of cell bio. I'm not sure, however, that there will be one next year - the suggestion was definitely made by the curriculum review committee that there be some changes to be made. I'm not going to lie, that's probably the most annoying class of first year on all sorts of levels, so as far as I know it's fate and structure for next year is somewhat up in the air. But it's just one class of the ~15 (at least) you'll be taking next year, so I really wouldn't let that alter anyone's decisions one bit.

The major curriculum overhaul (called the "Pritzker Initiative") is for the entering class of 2008. Your guys' class will be the last one to be like ours. I'm sure some changes will be made, but nothing incredibly major that would differ really significant from what you saw on your interview/revisit. As someone who's been through that as a first year, I don't mind it at all. I'm not going to lie, fall quarter is a b***h, but I really think that would be true anywhere. Med school is so much different from anything else you've ever done...it's an adjustment for everyone, and if you've gotten this far, you can definitely do it.

And as far as the clinical stuff, since I'm only an MS1 i don't have tons to add, but I will say that I think a lot of it has to do with our small class size. When I interviewed, one of the docs told me that one of the things he likes about teaching at Pritzker is that he really gets to know and work with every member of every class over the course of third year. It's a smaller pond, and so naturally you are going to get more exposure to the attendings. Also, as was mentioned earlier, the U of C is a tertiary care center - so you're going to see tons of conditions on a regular basis that you would rarely or never see at other institutions. I've heard anecdotally that U of C students make great residents because of this. I will also say that all the faculty I've had the chance to interact with have been fabulous, and like having students around and will really respond to your enthusiasm. I decided for one of my electives this spring that I'd like to shadow a head and neck surgeon - so I just e-mailed one, and she was more than willing to have me along, and so now I'm in surgery and clinic with her three times a week, and getting one on one contact as a first year. It's really amazing. And i don't know if it's unique to Pritzker, but I know lots of students doing similar things, and everyone is having great experiences.

Thanks for the input! It seems like the major changes would be nice but oh well not for us. I hope they still offer the place out exam for cell bio. I would like to be able to place out so that I do not have to deal with it. Sounds like the first quarter is going to be hell...at least its only 2.5 months...looking forward to getting that part over with.

Hey guys - Just thought I'd let you know that the Scrubin' video is back up on YouTube, in case you haven't seen it already. Funniest med school video you will ever see, and should only add to your excitement in coming here...especially since a few of your TAs for Anatomy next year are in it as well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y8G4s1yxi0

Feel free to spread it around to your friends :) Make sure to tell them how you're joining the coolest med school ever!

WOOHOOOOO PRITZKER
i'm so excited to be classmates with all of you next year!!!

Hey guys - Just thought I'd let you know that the Scrubin' video is back up on YouTube, in case you haven't seen it already. Funniest med school video you will ever see, and should only add to your excitement in coming here...especially since a few of your TAs for Anatomy next year are in it as well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y8G4s1yxi0

Feel free to spread it around to your friends :) Make sure to tell them how you're joining the coolest med school ever!

funny. so was it taken down because folks thought real cadavers were involved?

current students,
how's housing specifically condos on lake shore drive? my roommate's dad wants to look in this area. i was wondering how long the drive would be to get to school and if any students generally live in this area.

current students,
how's housing specifically condos on lake shore drive? my roommate's dad wants to look in this area. i was wondering how long the drive would be to get to school and if any students generally live in this area.

That depends on where on LSD specifically you're talking about. If you're referring to within HP, then a drive may not even be necessary (e.g. places just north of the museum near 58th St.). However, to drive from there would be <5 minutes; I'd recommend a bike or a bus ride instead to save yourself the hassle. If you're talking about up north (e.g. Lincoln Park or even further), you're talking about a 30-40ish minute drive, depending on the traffic.

Hey everyone,
I've been lurking around for a while and I finally got around to signing up for SDN. I just wanted to say hi to my new fellow classmates! My husband and I are pretty sure that we'll be living in Regents next year, so I'm sure we'll get to see a lot of you! Good luck to all of you and I look forward to meeting you all this fall!