University of Chicago, Pritzker style

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Gumshoe, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Gumshoe

Gumshoe LARGE Member

What does everyone think of UChicago in terms of a) reputation, b) type of school, c) curriculum ...?

It just seems that they would be very academic, but I'm not sure yet. I have an interview there in Dec. and was wondering. i'm trying to research up on it. We'll see what happens.

Gumshoe

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. owen_osh

owen_osh Senior Member

I have heard that everyone there is a little weird.

4. siempre595

A friend of mine interviewed there a few weeks ago. He really liked it a lot and is waiting to here from them (he already has a few acceptances). It's very research oriented from what he said. Also, it's in Hyde Park, which is not the best part of Chi town, but the school itself is extremely nice. It's the kind of place people either very much like or do not like at all. You'll know as soon as you go I suspect.

5. USeF

USeF sunny L.A.

People here ARE really personable- it amazes me. Most everyone who was accepted has a "schtick" (quote from an adcom) that makes them unique. I've found most of these for my classmates and it really adds to the awesome diversity of our class. We're the type of students that find tests, diagrams online, or notes- and the first thing we think of is 'how can we get it to our classmates ASAP' This year we have fully electronic Co-op Notes for the first time- because that's the type of students we are. :)

During a few interview lunches I attended this season, the 'research-based' question repeatedly came up. We have a 10-week summer NIH-funded research program available to every first year. This is an easy 'backup' option if you don't find something else you feel like doing. It also can be done in ANY medically-related aspect. One guy did a 'Hospitalist vs. Non-Hospitalist' study to be published. He showed the lower cost of coverage and improved continuity of care with hospitalists (Docs who are full-time employees of the hospital).

Final note: you gotta come here and get a feel of the school to know. It's intense intellectually/academically, but nurturing and supportive in every way- from the orientation week the 2nd years make, to the mentoring 3/4 yrs to the 'moms and dads' in the Office of Medical Education... siempre, I hope your friend gets in if he got the good feel :D

6. USeF

USeF sunny L.A.

feel free to PM any questions/concerns about our great school..

One more anecdote: our dean teaches the cardio portion of physiology. He starts off every morning lecture with "good morning, colleagues" When you come to U of C, you are truly treated like a junior colleague, not an inferior at the bottom of the heirarchy. It's so motivating, that it almost makes you want to learn more to get there quicker- wait, if I like studying, what am I doing on here? :p