University of Cincinnati Class of 2009 thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jason110

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd just thought I would start a thread to see if anyone else is coming to Cincinnati with me this fall. What are you guys doing about housing? I hear the area around the school isn't that great.

Jason

Members don't see this ad.

bumping in hopes of finding a fellow classmate...

Members don't see this ad :)
Jason110 said:
bumping in hopes of finding a fellow classmate...

Jason,

I will be attending University of Cincinnati School of Medicine in the fall.

However, I can't give you any pointers regarding housing as I am from out of state and plan to buy a house outside of Cinci proper (along the I-275 beltway).

Good luck with your search.

I will also be attending UC this fall. I've lived in cincy pretty much my whole life so I can answer many housing questions. Just PM me with some specific questions.

I'll be at Cincinnati in the fall. :D

As far as housing... have you started really looking for places yet? i think the area immediately around campus MIGHT be kind of sketchy (as in its in the middle of a big city), but there are plenty of neighborhoods that are very close and very nice (hyde park, eden park, mt lookout....) im sure youll be able to find something!

hey all,

i'm going to UC in the fall too and just recently found a place in o'bryonville on madison avenue. it's cheap and my roommate and i are really pleased with it.

check it out: they're torrence lane apartments.

take care,

abhishek

I will be there in the fall.......................Yaaaahoooo!!!!

I found a place in Clifton about 2 miles from UC Med - Clifton Colony Apts.. You can find them online. Lots of amenities, nicer area, allow pets, and a good price. 2 mi. from school and close to the gaslight district with shopping and restaurants. Lots of professional students living here.

The area around the Med Center is ok but not wonderful, but I heard the Piedmont Mews apts. were very nice and literally next door to the hospital. Practically all med and pharm students living there for obvious reasons. Lots of noise though from the ambulances.

:)

Hi all. I found a place closer to the undergrad campus, on Ohio street. Seems okay, it's near some shops. Hopefully I can take the shuttle rather than drive to the med school. But to chime in on Hyde Park, Mt Adams, etc. it was a really nice area, but I really liked my place better. and it was cheaper!

abhishek- i came REALLY close to getting a place in o'bryonville on madison!! it seemed really cool down there. AND the "bob someone's running spot" store is right there (do you know what im talking about?). i love to run and i think the owner of that store forms groups to run together. ill have to stop by and say hi! ;)

stargirl50 said:
abhishek- i came REALLY close to getting a place in o'bryonville on madison!! it seemed really cool down there. AND the "bob someone's running spot" store is right there (do you know what im talking about?). i love to run and i think the owner of that store forms groups to run together. ill have to stop by and say hi! ;)

hey; so you're going to UC too? awesome; yeah, i've seen the running place. it looks cool but i haven't explored yet. i got all intimidated so i'm running like a fiend this summer so i won't look like such an idiot if i do try that running group. but you know, i haven't ran for a long time but since i've taken it up, i've become addicted to it.

where are you living?

abhishek

We have such a small little class thread going here compared to others... I feel bad for it and will give it a bump!! Anyway, I hope my future UC classmates are enjoying the weekend. I'm busy painting my old apt. for the big move soon, and do I hate painting!! No matter how hard I try, the paint always looks uneven.

So, I hope you all are well and enjoying some sunshine.

Later!!
;)

Members don't see this ad :)
HI all. I've decided to attend my state med school, so my apartment is available. It's on Ohio ave, close to mcmillian. You can check it out at: www.ucapartments.com. It's a 1bd, very cute, $475/mo + utilities. I'd really like my deposit back, so hopefully it will rent!

Good luck to you all, and enjoy UC!

T

Hi Guys,

Have any of you filled out the personal data info with pics online? I did, well, I think I did, but I thought we would get some kind of confirmation that it was uploaded. All my data is still there when I log on again, so I'm thinking it's OK, but I'm not sure.

Anyone know??

Alyssa :)

I'll be there, too!! I have no idea where I'll be living yet. My husband is still looking for a job, so we aren't sure where we'll need to live. I'm getting so excited!

Hi. I'm a 3rd year at UC and happened upon your thread. Welcome to UC... hope this summer goes well and you start out strong first year. Just a note... I have gotten mixed reviews on Piedmont from my classmates - there is a new section which is pretty nice, but the old section isn't that great according to some that lived there - so make sure you visit and check it out in person. A lot of people live in the Oakley/Hyde Park area and seem to really like it. The gaslight district is pretty popular too and a decent number of people live in the Bellevue apartments across from the medical center, but they can be a little expensive. Some people really like living close to school so they can walk, but as for myself I like to get away from the med center when I am not in school, so I don't. I think sometimes it is hard for people to separate themselves from their work, so looking out your window at the hospital buildings sometimes doesn't help. Just a thought - Other people might think differently. Good luck and let me know if I can answer any questions.

Hello~ :)

I've been accepted off of the waitlist 2 days ago. Now I'm waiting for my package to come in the mail. Thanks to Jason110 for the advise prior to my interview! (I'm gonna be your classmate!) :D

In the mean time, I've been searching for housing as well. Posts on this thread, along with friendly upper classmen's advice (namely PM from UCmed07 & docmizzle), have been very helpful to me! :thumbup:

Since I haven't received any info, is there anything that we need to do prior to the orientation? (i.e. transcripts, immunization, etc.?) I'm also awaiting for my financial aid offer. I want to switch to in-state residency during my second year, so I will have to take full amount of loans for the 1st year. I hope I get a good aid package. :scared: Is everyone more or less satisfied with the financial aid offer?

I hope everyone gets the housing issue settled soon. Look fwd to meeting ya in a few weeks! :luck:

tinnyfluffy said:
Hello~ :)

I've been accepted off of the waitlist 2 days ago. Now I'm waiting for my package to come in the mail. Thanks to Jason110 for the advise prior to my interview! (I'm gonna be your classmate!) :D

In the mean time, I've been searching for housing as well. Posts on this thread, along with friendly upper classmen's advice (namely PM from UCmed07 & docmizzle), have been very helpful to me! :thumbup:

Since I haven't received any info, is there anything that we need to do prior to the orientation? (i.e. transcripts, immunization, etc.?) I'm also awaiting for my financial aid offer. I want to switch to in-state residency during my second year, so I will have to take full amount of loans for the 1st year. I hope I get a good aid package. :scared: Is everyone more or less satisfied with the financial aid offer?

I hope everyone gets the housing issue settled soon. Look fwd to meeting ya in a few weeks! :luck:

I'm sure since you were accepted off waitlist that you will have some extra time to send in immunization history, etc. However, some of the stuff I've sent in with regular admission due dates is: a supplemental form (due 7/15), a getting to know you form (7/15), official transcript (8/1), immunization and medical history (7/15), HIPPA form (7/15), Big Sib form (7/15), and white coat sizing form (7/15). If you will be driving to class, you also need to get a parking permit online at www.uc.edu/parking. I think that's it...

Hello, :)

I am in the process of getting high-speed internet set up for my apartment. I checked the latest deals offered by both Cincinnati Bell and Time Warner.

Both deals require setting up a land phoneline with the internet. Cincinnati Bell offers $10/month for the first 3 months, then $44.95 for the rest of the year. TW offers $29.95/month for 6 months, and then $44.95. After calculating the yearly cost, I realized that TW is only $15 more expensive, but the speed is much faster. I think these 2 companies have been discussed in previous year, but I'm just wondering if there's any updates on the service stability (i.e. whether there's a lot of outtage).

Also, I have had bad experience with digital phoneline before. (They install a huge call box inside the apartment. When the cable service is out, the phone can't be used either, etc.) Since TW offers digital phone, I am wondering if that will be a good choice. Please comment. Thanks! :)

hi everyone!

abhishek- i'm living in a house in hyde park. and im running a 5k tomorrow and its like 90 degrees with 90% humidity and i think im going to die.

tinnyfluffy- about internet- my parents have road runner through time warner in columbus and it is reliable and FAST. i dont know anything about digital phone but as far as internet connection alone its awesome- sounds way better to me than cincinnati bell's deal. read the page from the student handbook that they posted online on medonestop too- it also says we get a discount- we pay $36.95/mo. i would guess that this works out cheaper than bundling services.

stargirl50 said:
hi everyone!

abhishek- i'm living in a house in hyde park. and im running a 5k tomorrow and its like 90 degrees with 90% humidity and i think im going to die.

tinnyfluffy- about internet- my parents have road runner through time warner in columbus and it is reliable and FAST. i dont know anything about digital phone but as far as internet connection alone its awesome- sounds way better to me than cincinnati bell's deal. read the page from the student handbook that they posted online on medonestop too- it also says we get a discount- we pay $36.95/mo. i would guess that this works out cheaper than bundling services.

Hey Stargirl50,

Thanks for the great info. I think I've probably glanced over that part on the handbook and forgotten about it right aftewards. :p Thanks for pointing me back to it! :thumbup:

Good luck running today! Drink lots of water while out there! I hope you have fun despite the heat! :luck:

hey,

i just got back from vacation and have to finish all my immunization junk....!!! yuck.

alas. school starts soon....i'm kinda nervous, anyone else?

i hope you rocked your marathon, stargirl.

i wasn't ready for this blazing heat when i got back.

later on all.

hey everyone...

thanks for the words of encouragement for my run! it was a blast (but hot!)

anyways... just wanted to say good luck with moving etc. im nervous/excited for school to start. can't wait to meet you guys... see you at orientation!! :D

Anyone pumped about orientation starting tomorrow?

DocMizzle said:
Anyone pumped about orientation starting tomorrow?

orientation is the most tiring thing in the world! ><
school's starting tomorrow. :eek: nooo~ i am still in the summer mood. :( and the biochem books aren't here yet.

i haven't heard from my big yet. :( can any upperclassman comment on what textbooks we'd need other than netter's, yokochi's, wheater's, BRS physiology, and Haine's? do we need to have grant's dissector? thanks~

tinnyfluffy said:
orientation is the most tiring thing in the world! ><
school's starting tomorrow. :eek: nooo~ i am still in the summer mood. :( and the biochem books aren't here yet.

i haven't heard from my big yet. :( can any upperclassman comment on what textbooks we'd need other than netter's, yokochi's, wheater's, BRS physiology, and Haine's? do we need to have grant's dissector? thanks~

Welcome C/O 2009,

I'm a fourth year and reading this thread reminds me of how exiciting this time was in my life. My one piece of advice...enjoy it!! I wish I could be there to meet you all (and partake in all the free food/beer) but I'm doing an away in Chicago.

Anyhoo, about what books you'll need. I wouldn't buy anymore books that what you described above. You'll get everything you need in the syllabus(sp?) and if it's not there, go to the library or go online. For the dissector, you only need one per you group of four, so maybe you all could just chip or however you wanna handle it.

Looking forward to meeting you, good luck and have fun.

Monique

monique said:
Welcome C/O 2009,

I'm a fourth year and reading this thread reminds me of how exiciting this time was in my life. My one piece of advice...enjoy it!! I wish I could be there to meet you all (and partake in all the free food/beer) but I'm doing an away in Chicago.

Anyhoo, about what books you'll need. I wouldn't buy anymore books that what you described above. You'll get everything you need in the syllabus(sp?) and if it's not there, go to the library or go online. For the dissector, you only need one per you group of four, so maybe you all could just chip or however you wanna handle it.

Monique

Hi Monique~

monique said:
Welcome C/O 2009,

Monique

Hi Monique~

Thanks for replying to my post! :) How's the away roation going for you? While I complained about the overwhelming readings/hw, etc., I imagine that you are on a much busier schedule there! :oops: Best of luck to you!