University of Cincinnati, Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pedsbro

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Someone has to start it I guess.. Congrats all:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! See you there next year Pedsbro. Bring your coat...the CARE building gets really really cold.

:D

Congrats! See you there next year Pedsbro. Bring your coat...the CARE building gets really really cold.

:D

Thanks! Good to know. I was a grad student there last year at the COM while it was being built, so it'll be nice to finally use it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I'll prob see you all there! Hopefully the CARE building won't be too cold. I heard it was cold b/c they just built it and the "environmentally friendly" heating system isn't all engaged yet haha. I really am looking forward to UC Med!

Hey I'll prob see you all there! Hopefully the CARE building won't be too cold. I heard it was cold b/c they just built it and the "environmentally friendly" heating system isn't all engaged yet haha. I really am looking forward to UC Med!

It is a really nice building, but they have all these windows that are time to open at different times during the day and night. It isn't a big deal, but when it is like 20F outside, it can get pretty chilly!

What up Pedsbro, looks like I'll most likely be joining you next year as well. If you are who I think you are, then you know who I am (I drove you to pick up your futon).

You guys know where you're living next year?

What up Pedsbro, looks like I'll most likely be joining you next year as well. If you are who I think you are, then you know who I am (I drove you to pick up your futon).

You guys know where you're living next year?

Haha, of course I know who you are... I'm staying put in my current place at least for the first year. I love it down here. The others still have that house that they all rent, so most of them will probably stay there, but I don't know. Congrats man...see ya around

Last edited:
I just interviewed at UC a weeka ago.

How long did it take to find out the decision after your interview? The full 8weeks?

I just interviewed at UC a weeka ago.

How long did it take to find out the decision after your interview? The full 8weeks?

Took only 2 weeks for me, but I interviewed pretty early and I've heard the lag time is a bit longer now...probably more like 3-4 weeks. Post in the Cincinnati interview invite thread (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=557058) or secondary application thread (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=539324), you'll probably get more responses.

Haha, of course I know who you are... I'm staying put in my current place at least for the first year. I love it down here. The others still have that house that they all rent, so most of them will probably stay there, but I don't know. Congrats man...see ya around

that's darn right we still have the house and i intend on staying there. for the record, i'm sick of work and just wanna start school already

that's darn right we still have the house and i intend on staying there. for the record, i'm sick of work and just wanna start school already

Same here man... 7 more freakin' months...

Barring the improbable scholarship offer, looks like it's Cincy for me. :)

Look forward to seeing everyone in August.

Hey guys, I'm a 4th year at UC and just wanted to say congratulations! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about school, the area, etc!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be there in the fall:thumbup:

Does anyone know if UCCOM has a second-look visit for accepted applicants?

I've never heard anything about it. But I'm sure you can arrange something on your own. What did you have in mind? Sitting in on a class and that sort of stuff?

I've never heard anything about it. But I'm sure you can arrange something on your own. What did you have in mind? Sitting in on a class and that sort of stuff?

Alot of schools hold events for accepted students to give a more thorough tour of the school, allow potential classmates to socialize, and to woo students. I was just curious if UC had one. I've already got second-look invites from two other schools I've been accepted to.

so i just got in. where are good places to live around school? like safe biking distance haha. (with a safeway or qfc around to buy food close by :)

anyways congrats to everyone

so i just got in. where are good places to live around school? like safe biking distance haha. (with a safeway or qfc around to buy food close by :)

anyways congrats to everyone

Congrats!
Haha, I didn't know Safeways were still around...not sure there are any here; at least I've never seen one.

Good, fairly close places to live include Downtown (pricey, but nice), Hyde Park (most popular for students), Oakley, and certain places in Clifton (i.e. Stetson Apts, Piedmont Mews, etc) and the Gaslight District (off of Ludlow Ave). All of them have a Kroger store nearby for food and anything else you need pretty much. Avoid Over-the-Rhine and Corryville, even though rents are cheap. You can even look in Northern Kentucky.. There are tons of nice suburbs too that aren't terribly far (although not sure biking will work on those cold and snowy days...). Here are two major rental companies in the city. Good luck!

www.uptownrents.com

www.towneproperties.com

haha yeah, here in seattle all they have are safeways, qfc, and whole foods. i haven't heard of kroger since i moved to seattle from charleston, wv haha

well thanks for the area info. i will probably make it out there again to check out real estate, but i'd rather hear what areas are good from natives :)

have any of you guys done the financial aid stuff?

man.. i'm so confused as to what lender group to go through. i don't want to make a bad choice with all these huge numbers flying around haha.

man.. i'm so confused as to what lender group to go through. i don't want to make a bad choice with all these huge numbers flying around haha.

I hear ya...that's the step I'm on too. Probably going with one of the non-profs...heard lots of bad things about Sallie Mae.

thanks for the heads up. i'm trying to read up on agi or key bank.

i just finished all my fin aid, goin to campus tomorrow to turn it in, i did AGI, applying was easy and took like 3 minutes

You can definitely set something up on your own. I did and it worked out great just give the admission office a call and they can get you in touch with some of the student workers and let sit in on classes. Also if you are interested in research just look on the UC web site and call researchers that are working with projects you are interested in. Most of them are really friendly and welcome a chance to meet with future students and give you the scoop on student research and what is available to you.

So it is mostly all on your own initiative, but it is worth the extra effort if you are on the fence.

You can definitely set something up on your own. I did and it worked out great just give the admission office a call and they can get you in touch with some of the student workers and let sit in on classes. Also if you are interested in research just look on the UC web site and call researchers that are working with projects you are interested in. Most of them are really friendly and welcome a chance to meet with future students and give you the scoop on student research and what is available to you.

So it is mostly all on your own initiative, but it is worth the extra effort if you are on the fence.

So excited! I just got in, and I just wanted to say hello!

Woohoo!!!

I really want to live in the Stetson Apartments...

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:
Thanks!
I just put my Stetson app in, so, the roommate search is on!

congrats on getting in! i haven't been inside the stetson apartments yet but they do look really nice from the outside, and you CANNOT beat that location except for the piedmont mews which is 50 yards closer haha... aren't the stetson places expensive?

Thanks!
I just put my Stetson app in, so, the roommate search is on!

Congrats! Stetson is very nice inside, I've been in there several times. Pricier than most places that close to school though, so a roommate is a good idea. I doubt you'll have much trouble finding one as August rolls closer.

hey, when should i start scouting for a place to live (when do most people move out around school and start making places available?)
i was wondering if there was a website where students would post a list of available apartments and make life easier for the rest of us :)

hey, when should i start scouting for a place to live (when do most people move out around school and start making places available?)
i was wondering if there was a website where students would post a list of available apartments and make life easier for the rest of us :)

https://comdo-wcnlb.uc.edu/PDFdocuments/Admissions/Housing.pdf

The Cincinnati Enquirer and CinWeekly's web page address is www.cincinnati.com. The
Enquirer is Cincinnati's newspaper and CinWeekly is an on-line interactive
news/entertainment weekly. There is news, classified ads and other current information.
FOR A COMPLETE GUIDE OF APARTMENT LISTINGS, PLEASE CONTACT THE
FOLLOWING WEBSITES:
www.ucapartments.com
www.cliftonquarters.com
www.cliftonhousing.com
www.apartmentfrog.com
www.apartmentguide.com
www.apartments.com
www.cincinnatiapartment.com
http://www.ucrentals.com
http://www.stetsonsquare.com/home.asp

most of the undergrads are already booking up places for next year, so its not too soon to begin your inquiries.

Many of the websites listed above have less than stellar reputations with landlords, so be wary. (Some strictly rent your typical "college" houses for 19 year olds to trash with beer cans every year)

I have found the best luck with craigslist, quite honestly.

I have lived in clifton/ downtown / mt adams and surrounding areas for several years...if any of you have any questions regarding neighborhoods id be happy to answer.

Any of you going to the revisit weekend on May 1st? Im planning on going, hope to see some of you there :)

It's another day off work and a friend of mine helps put it together, so I'll most likely be there! Hope for good weather, cuz it just snowed here two days ago (not kidding)

anyone know how easy it is to switch from non-resident to resident, i would definitley like to pay the resident tuition rate :)

anyone know how easy it is to switch from non-resident to resident, i would definitley like to pay the resident tuition rate :)

I believe after the first year you can get resident tuition rate (or if you'll have lived in OH for 12 consecutive months before matriculation)

For residency you just have to live in Ohio for 12 months and show you didn't get any funds from elsewhere right?
It'll help if you keep good records of your apartment leases, and maybe get a Ohio driver's license (and maybe even register to vote in OH). Hopefully this won't be too hard to do :)

also.. sucks I can't make it too the second look.. tickets are expensive haha

For residency you just have to live in Ohio for 12 months and show you didn't get any funds from elsewhere right?
It'll help if you keep good records of your apartment leases, and maybe get a Ohio driver's license (and maybe even register to vote in OH). Hopefully this won't be too hard to do :)

also.. sucks I can't make it too the second look.. tickets are expensive haha

Yeah, the residency thing sounds easy...but they want every possible record of your income to make sure you didn't get a dime from anywhere but within the state (or federal loan money). You have to register to vote and get a license (and if you own your car, it must be registered here). They really dont' want to make it too easy...after all, we're talking about almost a $20,000 difference between IS and OOS tuition.

The license and voting registration are easy...as long as you have a valid license from another state, you just have to take the written exam, which is cake. There are a few hoops to jump through with getting your car registered, but not too bad. The income thing is the major road bump for most people.

4 more months...

Got an email yesterday telling me to check my status page. Could not find anything new there. Anyone know what it's all about?

Hello fellow classmates... thought I might as well say hi. I will be attending Cincinnati this fall too and I'm coming out from California. Any other OOS students here?

nontradfogie - I think i got that same "status update" e-mail and I don't see anything different either.

Hello fellow classmates... thought I might as well say hi. I will be attending Cincinnati this fall too and I'm coming out from California. Any other OOS students here?

nontradfogie - I think i got that same "status update" e-mail and I don't see anything different either.

Hey, I'm sort of OOS... I'm from Cali too, moved out here in late 2007 to do the Cinci SMP. Where in Cali? (I'm from O.C.) Get ready for a major change in scenery my friend :cool:

-I also got that email about a status change, but did not see any new links or updated info. Did you two RSVP to that orientation thing on May 1st? I wonder if it has to do with that...

I'm attending UCCOM next year and am also technically OOS (NC). I have been in Cincy this past year in the SMP program.