University of Cincinnati M.S. in Physiology 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you mind sharing your stats? I was complete a few days after yours was and if you were accepted today, I am hoping to hear back sometime next week

LizzyM ~66-69 / Going to reapply this cycle

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you know whether most students were reapplicants or not? I'm in pretty much the exact same situation as @ScarletandGray and I'm wondering if being a reapplicant makes a difference.
I'm pretty sure that only 2 were first time applicants.

I'm pretty sure that only 2 were first time applicants.

We have more first-time applicants in this class, I think there are at least five or six. I agree that I don't think being a reapplicant makes much difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's my situation. I am gearing up to re-apply. I've had three interviews and been wait-listed/deferred at all three schools. I don't really know where I stand on these wait-lists and I may only find out soon from one school. I applied to the SMP based on how my cycle was going, which I am incredibly thankful that I did. I know it's still early but June is right around the corner and I guess I was wondering how students have handled this situation in the past. Obviously I may have a shot of getting off of a wait-list, but I don't want to be dead in the water and applying late next cycle because I waited around. Also, I have heard a lot of people apply after the completion of this program to be able to list their updated grades on the application. I have a ~3.5 and a 32 MCAT. So I am borderline in terms of applying while in the program. Another motivating factor for me to re-apply quickly is that I am a fifth-year senior and doing the SMP as well as waiting a full year to apply would not be ideal, but something I could definitely deal with.
I know this has been discussed a bit throughout various threads, but I was wondering if a current student (or anyone for that matter) on this thread could shed some light on the subject.

Since you were able to get some interviews, I'm assuming that you have a relatively strong application already.

With that said, if you decide to do Cincinnati's SMP, definitely apply same year. I can understand taking a gap year, but at the very least apply to Cincinnati. If you apply to Cincinnati and do well in your med school classes and do extracurriculars throughout the year like shadowing and volunteering, you'll be essentially guaranteed an interview to Cincinnati (Note: this doesn't mean you will get an interview, but nearly all of the students who apply do get an interview). You'll at least have your foot in the door to potentially be accepted. Also, I've found that Ohio schools tend to look favorably on the program and invite students from the program to interviews. In my case, I applied to Wright State and OSU multiply times, but was only offered an interview this year while I was in the program. So your chances of being accepted same year are pretty good.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all,

I was accepted to this program last month (my stats are around the program average, for those interested). I'm currently deciding between this program and Georgetown's smp. I have a question for future/current/past Cincinnati smp students:

1) Besides the high percentage of current/following year medical school matriculation rates at Cincinnati, what, if any, are the other reasons that persuaded you into doing this particular smp over others? Please elaborate if possible.

2) How helpful and receptive is the UC faculty in supporting your same year med school application to other schools? Although I would be ecstatic to get into any medical school, I am hopeful of getting a shot at my in-state school which is way out west. And from looking at the alumni page, UC smp grads, for one reason or another, don't end up in schools out west.

I'm having a tough time deciding. I really like the small class size at UC and the lower cost of living which really makes me want to attend UC over GT. However, it seems that medical schools are more familiar with the gt program and that will probably help in applying to a broad range of schools.

Hey all,

I was accepted to this program last month (my stats are around the program average, for those interested). I'm currently deciding between this program and Georgetown's smp. I have a question for future/current/past Cincinnati smp students:

1) Besides the high percentage of current/following year medical school matriculation rates at Cincinnati, what, if any, are the other reasons that persuaded you into doing this particular smp over others? Please elaborate if possible.

2) How helpful and receptive is the UC faculty in supporting your same year med school application to other schools? Although I would be ecstatic to get into any medical school, I am hopeful of getting a shot at my in-state school which is way out west. And from looking at the alumni page, UC smp grads, for one reason or another, don't end up in schools out west.

I'm having a tough time deciding. I really like the small class size at UC and the lower cost of living which really makes me want to attend UC over GT. However, it seems that medical schools are more familiar with the gt program and that will probably help in applying to a broad range of schools.

If you have a preference for your in state school in west I'd recommend GT over Cincinnati. A big selling point for here is that it qualifies student for in state residency and gives boost of chance at Ohio state schools as well as in state tuition, which is why most alumns go to Ohio schools... Because that's their goal from the beginning. Cincinnati is mostly familiar to Ohio schools for this reason.

Just found out I was accepted! Complete 4/11 just like njoymusic.

Anyone know about how many students matriculate to the program?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey all,

Former UC SMP student (now M3 at Ohio State) here:
1) The same-year app support. I was getting long in the tooth and felt that only 2 programs-- UC and EVMS-- really seemed to have a track record of getting students in the same year. Also, I wanted to go to my home state for medical school. Now, clearly that didn't happen, but I do credit the UCSMP with getting me an interview back home (on the west coast), and the subsequent rejection I got is probably more on me than any reflection on the program.

2) As I said, the same-year support is why I chose this program. That is probably the best feature (that and opening you up to all those juicy Ohio schools with low in-state tuition) of UC. I got my first acceptance in January, and it was an enormous load off my shoulders for the rest of the year. I can't imagine the unrelenting stress of a two year program.

So, here's the deal: Getting into schools on the west coast is hard, it's the most difficult geographic area to apply to in the country, and it's not even close. The fact is that students that need an SMP to get into medical school are typically not the kind of students that get into schools on the west coast. Not even looking at their website I am sure georgetown has occasionally sent one out there (just because of sheer numbers of students) but it's the exception not the rule, and often those students are the sort that don't really need an SMP after all. If I were you, wherever you end up going for your SMP I would absolutely apply out west and make that my ideal result, but I'd get comfortable with the idea of it not working out, and make my number one goal just getting into medical school already.

Beggars can't be choosers, and such.

Reactions: 1 users
Former UC SMP student (now M3 at Ohio State) here:
1) The same-year app support. I was getting long in the tooth and felt that only 2 programs-- UC and EVMS-- really seemed to have a track record of getting students in the same year. Also, I wanted to go to my home state for medical school. Now, clearly that didn't happen, but I do credit the UCSMP with getting me an interview back home (on the west coast), and the subsequent rejection I got is probably more on me than any reflection on the program.

2) As I said, the same-year support is why I chose this program. That is probably the best feature (that and opening you up to all those juicy Ohio schools with low in-state tuition) of UC. I got my first acceptance in January, and it was an enormous load off my shoulders for the rest of the year. I can't imagine the unrelenting stress of a two year program.

So, here's the deal: Getting into schools on the west coast is hard, it's the most difficult geographic area to apply to in the country, and it's not even close. The fact is that students that need an SMP to get into medical school are typically not the kind of students that get into schools on the west coast. Not even looking at their website I am sure georgetown has occasionally sent one out there (just because of sheer numbers of students) but it's the exception not the rule, and often those students are the sort that don't really need an SMP after all. If I were you, wherever you end up going for your SMP I would absolutely apply out west and make that my ideal result, but I'd get comfortable with the idea of it not working out, and make my number one goal just getting into medical school already.

Beggars can't be choosers, and such.

Hey thanks for the response! I've decided to att end UC over GT. I felt like it would be a better fit for me.
I have a question regarding the SMP program's preparation for your first two years of med school at Ohio state. How much did the UC SMP give you a leg up in the basic science years of med school? Was the material you covered at UC similar to the material you covered at Ohio State?
Also, do you think that doing the SMP has increased your chances in scoring well on Step 1? Getting really ahead of myself but still curious! :)
Thanks!

I'm currently on the waitlist for med school at UC. I'm sure the SMP and Med school admin somewhat communicate, but does anyone know if accepting the SMP offer would affect my waitlist status in any way?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey thanks for the response! I've decided to att end UC over GT. I felt like it would be a better fit for me.
I have a question regarding the SMP program's preparation for your first two years of med school at Ohio state. How much did the UC SMP give you a leg up in the basic science years of med school? Was the material you covered at UC similar to the material you covered at Ohio State?
Also, do you think that doing the SMP has increased your chances in scoring well on Step 1? Getting really ahead of myself but still curious! :)
Thanks!

The uc and osu curricula are very similarly constructed but in a different order, so some things from year one at uc were in year two at osu, and vice versa. I was certainly better prepared for both med school and step 1 (a deep physiology background really helps you to understand and remember the pathophysiology that step 1 emphasizes) than if I'd just gone straight in, but I was also 40-odd thousand dollars poorer, and after essentially three straight preclinical years I was exhausted at the end of step 1 prep.

So yeah, there are some bright sides to an smp but don't do it unless you absolutely need to.

The uc and osu curricula are very similarly constructed but in a different order, so some things from year one at uc were in year two at osu, and vice versa. I was certainly better prepared for both med school and step 1 (a deep physiology background really helps you to understand and remember the pathophysiology that step 1 emphasizes) than if I'd just gone straight in, but I was also 40-odd thousand dollars poorer, and after essentially three straight preclinical years I was exhausted at the end of step 1 prep.

So yeah, there are some bright sides to an smp but don't do it unless you absolutely need to.

Great! Thanks for the response.

I'm currently on the waitlist for med school at UC. I'm sure the SMP and Med school admin somewhat communicate, but does anyone know if accepting the SMP offer would affect my waitlist status in any way?

No. The SMP director has emphasized that there is minimal communication with the medical school admissions committee. They should be considered independent entities.

No. The SMP director has emphasized that there is minimal communication with the medical school admissions committee. They should be considered independent entities.
Thanks!

>_< Wonder if they're going to reject me pre-secondary haha...

>_< Wonder if they're going to reject me pre-secondary haha...

If you've been accepted to the program, it was because the program directors believed on the basis of your application that you'd be a good medical student. You'll get an opportunity to fill out a secondary and you'll more than likely get an opportunity to interview if you do well in your classes, remain active in the community, and continue to explore your interest in medicine through shadowing.

does anyone know the book list for next year? in particular for graduate medical physiology I and fundamentals of molecular medicine?

I was complete 3/13 and waitlisted 3/26. cGPA 3.06, sGPA 2.98, MCAT 35 (P11,V12,B12). What chance do I have of getting off the waitlist? I suppose only the top third has a shot at getting in off the waitlist. I have to decide on a program soon (I got into Georgetown SMP and RFU BMS) and would appreciate any input. Thank you.

I was complete 3/13 and waitlisted 3/26. cGPA 3.06, sGPA 2.98, MCAT 35 (P11,V12,B12). What chance do I have of getting off the waitlist? I suppose only the top third has a shot at getting in off the waitlist. I have to decide on a program soon (I got into Georgetown SMP and RFU BMS) and would appreciate any input. Thank you.

so did they let you know which third of waitlist? They have in previous years it seems like

so did they let you know which third of waitlist? They have in previous years it seems like
They will if you ask. The email says they will tell you which tier you are in after all acceptances have been handed out.

Ah I see :/ then I guess we can't speculate your chances until June then huh? Let's hope it will be the top third
I just asked. I'm not getting off the list, lol.

I just asked. I'm not getting off the list, lol.

From the previous years post it seems like they tell u that when you call. Someone posted they said that when they called but ended up getting off waitlist. U just have to wait and see you never know.

CHEER UP, PEOPLE.

Even if there's no reason to right now, you're going to fling yourself off a building if you don't suspend disbelief.

Emailed, and yes, Ms. Cummins was very prompt.
Thank you. I emailed her earlier today so hopefully she'll get back to me with my odds and/or chance for closure lol.

does anyone know the book list for next year? in particular for graduate medical physiology I and fundamentals of molecular medicine?

There have been many questions asked, and I'll try to get to the rest of them as soon as I can, but this particular question stuck out to me. You have more than enough online resources thanks to the many subscriptions that UC gives you access to. Don't even bother with getting textbooks, they aren't worth it.

Edit: I'd like to retract this statement and clarify it by saying that there are useful textbooks, but you do not have to purchase them if you do not want to. I put a booklist later in this thread.

Last edited:

I'm not sure what you're exact chances are of getting off the waitlist, but I completed my SMP application in February and I was initially waitlisted. In April, I was officially accepted. Moreover, looking at old emails from Jeannie, there were changes to the class roster all the way into July, so don't give up hope. With that said, I understand that you need to make a decision soon, and it's a difficult decision to make. Fortunately for me, I was accepted to UC on the deadline to submit my deposit to Georgetown, but from my perspective, I would have submitted my deposit to Georgetown and just taken the hit if I were later accepted to UC. However, I understand that the deposit represents a significant amount of money, so I can't really tell you to do one thing or another.

Yeah Ms. Cummins got back to me today and let me know that I'm in the top third. I already put down the Georgetown deposit so I'll just wait patiently. I wonder how good my chances are now... Sorry I'm being neurotic lol.

Yeah Ms. Cummins got back to me today and let me know that I'm in the top third. I already put down the Georgetown deposit so I'll just wait patiently. I wonder how good my chances are now... Sorry I'm being neurotic lol.

Pretty good, I'd say. SMPs tend to have a lot of waitlist movement, especially in June-July.

I just received my financial aid package from UC and am pleased to find out that I am able to take out enough to cover tuition and COL. The amount I am offered is about $57k in federal direct unsubsidized and grad plus. However, I don't think I will need to take out that much and would like some input from current SMPers and future SMPers going through the same process as I.

Let me do some math:

57k loans - $39k tuition, books, fees etc etc. equals 18k leftover for COL.

18k/11months equals 1.6k per month for living.

If rent in Clifton/gaslight is about 5-700 for a studio/efficiency that leaves about 1k for spending money per month.

$1k for spending money is too much for me and my minimalist spending habits.

Thus, I feel that I don't need and should not take out the whole loan amount I can get. I do have an emergency cushion I can fall back on so I'm not homeless if the **** hits the fan.

What do you all think?? I've only lived in high COL cities my whole life and even then I don't need $1k per month to survive.

I just received my financial aid package from UC and am pleased to find out that I am able to take out enough to cover tuition and COL. The amount I am offered is about $57k in federal direct unsubsidized and grad plus. However, I don't think I will need to take out that much and would like some input from current SMPers and future SMPers going through the same process as I.

Let me do some math:

If rent in Clifton/gaslight is about 5-700 for a studio/efficiency that leaves about 1k for spending money per month.

Thus, I feel that I don't need and should not take out the whole loan amount I can get. I do have an emergency cushion I can fall back on so I'm not homeless if the **** hits the fan.

What do you all think?? I've only lived in high COL cities my whole life and even then I don't need $1k per month to survive.
If you are saying you have more than 20% left over after all costs, then I agree. If not, I think you should keep it if not supplement it.

Student loans are the cheapest loans you can get, so the cushion you have can grow in stable investments.

Honestly, sounds like you need better living arrangements. You should get a nice place for peace of mind, instead of crazy roommates, roaches, broken appliances, etc.

I'm in NYC and just my rent is more than twice as much as you use a month. It's great you are frugal, but don't be frugal to a fault!

Let me do some math:

Are you applying same year? Have you worked possible interview travel into your budget? Will any secondaries be paid for with the loans? That said my monthly breakdown in 2012-2013 was:

Rent: ~520
Electricity: ~30
Internet: :~45
Food: 300-400 depending on how much drinking I did, how much I ate at the hospital etc.
Gas: ~40

Parking was ~450 for the year

Are you applying same year? Have you worked possible interview travel into your budget? Will any secondaries be paid for with the loans? That said my monthly breakdown in 2012-2013 was:

Rent: ~520
Electricity: ~30
Internet: :~45
Food: 300-400 depending on how much drinking I did, how much I ate at the hospital etc.
Gas: ~40

Parking was ~450 for the year

Good point joker! I totally over-looked the amount of money I need to apply and fly out to interviews I hopefully get. But I also estimate about $100/week for food at the most extreme case (eating out/adult beverages etc). Dang... I definitely need to account for the AMCAS app/interview related costs... hmm.. however, I hope to live within walking distance of the med campus and hospitals, and I took a quick glance at the live UC shuttle bus tracking system and at about 6pm there were a good amount of shuttles in circulation.. so I don't plan on having a car. I'd imagine most SMPers from OOS don't have cars??

Good point joker! I totally over-looked the amount of money I need to apply and fly out to interviews I hopefully get. But I also estimate about $100/week for food at the most extreme case (eating out/adult beverages etc). Dang... I definitely need to account for the AMCAS app/interview related costs... hmm.. however, I hope to live within walking distance of the med campus and hospitals, and I took a quick glance at the live UC shuttle bus tracking system and at about 6pm there were a good amount of shuttles in circulation.. so I don't plan on having a car. I'd imagine most SMPers from OOS don't have cars??
In my class the majority of OOS had cars. A car is a nice thing to have in the winter or for when you are at school really late. Many of my classmates were scattered out, too. Some in Stetson literally across the street from school ($$$), Hyde park and College Hill are about 20mins, Clifton can be walkable, but a few still drove. Generally the closer you get to the school the higher rent will be.

Let me do some math:

To add to what Joker has already addressed, you can take out the full loan amount and then decide to return any funds that you don't think you'll need later in the year. I believe the deadline to return funds is April, and any funds you return will not accrue interest.

In my class the majority of OOS had cars. A car is a nice thing to have in the winter or for when you are at school really late. Many of my classmates were scattered out, too. Some in Stetson literally across the street from school ($$$), Hyde park and College Hill are about 20mins, Clifton can be walkable, but a few still drove. Generally the closer you get to the school the higher rent will be.

I'd like to put in a plug for Piedmont mews apartments. Not as nice as Stetson but much cheaper and even closer to campus (it's basically on the same lot as the hospital... And it's safe/gated). I had to sweat on a wait list for a bit but was very happy there.

Hey guys :) I look forward to meeting the rest of you in the program. I got accepted sometime in mid April and have been lurking for awhile and have already sent in my deposit and etc. But anyways, to answer your question, I believe University Edge is furnished but there is a waitlist. One of my friends is currently in the program and living there and she said the place was really nice. If any of you guys are looking for a roommate send me a message and we can get to know each other better from there :p

Can anyone who's received a decision comment on how long it took for them to get back to you after you were marked complete? Thanks guys.

Can anyone who's received a decision comment on how long it took for them to get back to you after you were marked complete? Thanks guys.

I received my decision at the end of the two week mark. Good luck!