University of Cincinnati M.S. in Physiology 2017-2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slowthai

holding a barbell.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey guys, just wanted to start a thread for this coming app cycle. How do you guys feel about the video essay? I was a bit surprised to see that on the application.
I saw that they had a video essay but haven't done it yet. I need to get a computer with a webcam. Seems like a good way to get a preview of an interview with an applicant.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, just wanted to start a thread for this coming app cycle. How do you guys feel about the video essay? I was a bit surprised to see that on the application.
Yes, can't see the video assignment yet since I haven't applied yet but I think it's a very cool addition to the application!!

Members don't see this ad :)
There are many video questions. After seeing what the questions is, you get something like 90 seconds to prepare a response. After giving the response, I think you can redo up to 3 times, with each redo yielding a different question. I think the questions are similar to what you would expect if given a 30 minutes interview for the program.

like MMI type questions or personal questions about your motivation for the program and information about yourself?

like MMI type questions or personal questions about your motivation for the program and information about yourself?
It's geared towards the program and yourself. "What makes you a good fit for this program?" kind of stuff.

Considering applying here, anyone have any idea what stats they look for? It seems like a very competitive program since their class size is only ~30

If I had to take a wild guess, I would say around a 3.3/33 puts you in the competitive range, and if you fall below in one, they would like to see above in the other. You can also look at past years' threads and see what kind of numbers people have gotten in with. But keep in mind, what you see online is a relatively small sample.

It's not uncommon for people who have higher in both attend the program. I've also heard of people with lower stats get in, so even those who are interested in the program but may not have the best stats, should still give it a shot! I believe the program website states that applicants usually have around a minimum 3.0 28.

Although, I believe like any other admissions process, it's not just based on numbers and they do take other things into account such as: gpa trend, significant extra-curriculars, post-bac, other master's work, personal statement, letters, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone actually submitted their application yet? I submitted on 1/9 and wanted to know what the expected turnaround is. Online it says they start reviewing apps in December.

Don't know whether to submit the app or not. I have a 504 / 3.4 cGPA.

Don't know whether to submit the app or not. I have a 504 / 3.4 cGPA.
It would certainly make your GPA more competitive, and judging from your other posts, help transition your Engineering degree to more bio-based sciences. But to be truly competitive, you need to address that MCAT. I applied with a 3.2/2.8/511, and from my understanding this is more of a GPA based program than an MCAT helper. It will be hard to study for the C/P, P/S sections while doing the program.

It would certainly make your GPA more competitive, and judging from your other posts, help transition your Engineering degree to more bio-based sciences. But to be truly competitive, you need to address that MCAT. I applied with a 3.2/2.8/511, and from my understanding this is more of a GPA based program than an MCAT helper. It will be hard to study for the C/P, P/S sections while doing the program.

I certainly agree with you that the MCAT is an issue, though I'm not sure if you mean for the SMP or Med school itself. I'm definitely looking to retake the MCAT but will be in May or close to Summer (which would be late for SMP apps). I was just wondering on my competitiveness for admission to the SMP itself at Cincinnati since it's more selective.

Last edited:
I certainly agree with you that the MCAT is an issue, though I'm not sure if you mean for the SMP or Med school itself. I'm definitely looking to retake the MCAT but will be in May or close to Summer (which would be late for SMP apps). I was just wondering on my competitiveness for admission to the SMP itself at Cincinnati since it's more selective.
According to the website, 504 is competitive for the program.

https://med.uc.edu/msinphysiology/admissions/qualifications-of-the-applicant

I was referring to the need to address the MCAT score for medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I completed this SMP a few years ago. If anyone has any specific questions regarding this program, feel free to PM me.

It's a good program and I'm glad I did it. It prepared me well for med school. Good luck to those applying.

Reactions: 1 users
I completed this SMP a few years ago. If anyone has any specific questions regarding this program, feel free to PM me.

It's a good program and I'm glad I did it. It prepared me well for med school. Good luck to those applying.
Did you apply to med school before you completed the master's program (the summer before classes started) or wait until you finished?

Did you apply to med school before you completed the master's program (the summer before classes started) or wait until you finished?

I applied the summer before the smp, and again the next summer. Most of the class applies during the SMP. There's always a few that wait. I think our class had 5-10 that waited to finish until applying.

I'm a grad of this program (2015-16) and absolutely loved it. I just got into medical school and had a really low GPA, so this program definitely works. I chose it because it was the lowest cost (in terms of tuition and cost of living) and the small tight-knit class made it fun. If you want any deets or have any questions, feel free to PM me.

I applied the summer before the smp, and again the next summer. Most of the class applies during the SMP. There's always a few that wait. I think our class had 5-10 that waited to finish until applying.
I was recently accepted a few days ago. 3.2 sGPA and 33 (old MCAT, retaking this May) I applied this cycle (June 2016) and haven't had any success with no interview invites as of yet. I feel that my GPA was the weakest part of my app (I work in a lab, have a few hundred clinical volunteer hours, have shadowed) which is what drew me to SMPs in the first place. But because I've applied before I feel wary about applying the summer before the SMP in case I have another unsuccessful season, but at the same time would love to save the year. Any advice from any of you recent grads from SMPs?

I was recently accepted a few days ago. 3.2 sGPA and 33 (old MCAT, retaking this May) I applied this cycle (June 2016) and haven't had any success with no interview invites as of yet. I feel that my GPA was the weakest part of my app (I work in a lab, have a few hundred clinical volunteer hours, have shadowed) which is what drew me to SMPs in the first place. But because I've applied before I feel wary about applying the summer before the SMP in case I have another unsuccessful season, but at the same time would love to save the year. Any advice from any of you recent grads from SMPs?

I had the same sort of questions before I started the SMP. I spoke with admissions, and they recommended that I apply at least to UCCoM - honestly, you never know. I didn't apply broadly - I just applied to my home state school and Cincinnati. It worked that I got in to Cincinnati. I would at least consider applying to Cincinnati and a few other schools that you have ties to.

Completed program. I can try to answer questions if anyone has anything specific.

I had the same sort of questions before I started the SMP. I spoke with admissions, and they recommended that I apply at least to UCCoM - honestly, you never know. I didn't apply broadly - I just applied to my home state school and Cincinnati. It worked that I got in to Cincinnati. I would at least consider applying to Cincinnati and a few other schools that you have ties to.

Would you mind sharing your stats from before the SMP? I'm in a similar situation and trying to see what I need to do this June

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Completed program. I can try to answer questions if anyone has anything specific.
Do you feel the program helped you? Did most people in your class get into medical school? Was it possible to maintain a >3.7 gpa? Did you feel supported? Is it worth the cost and time?

Do you feel the program helped you? Did most people in your class get into medical school? Was it possible to maintain a >3.7 gpa? Did you feel supported? Is it worth the cost and time?

The program is THE reason I got into medical school. A large portion of the class has been accepted and some to "top tier" programs. It's definitely possible to make greater than a 3.7, however, the program is definitely a full time job. I felt supported. That said, the SMP program is high risk/high reward. If you aren't ready to commit yourself 100% then it's not for you. It's also not a guaranteed acceptance, you still need excellent personal statements, volunteering, etc. The program benefited me by allowing me to demonstrate that I was capable of handling a rigorous curriculum. My application outside of that was decent with an average MCAT, research, volunteering, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm a current SMP student here, and we've noticed a shift this year towards students waiting to complete the program before applying (about half the class chose to wait). I can't really tell you if this means that my class is unusual, or whether this denotes a more permanent shift in the approach to applying to medical school from this program. Either way, while many of us who applied this year have had a prolific application cycle, those of you attending this SMP next year will have to decide for yourself whether you think that waiting a year would be worth the boost in application strength. Our advisors typically consider waiting to be the wiser choice, but I didn't wait, and I certainly don't regret it.

I'm a current SMP student here, and we've noticed a shift this year towards students waiting to complete the program before applying (about half the class chose to wait). I can't really tell you if this means that my class is unusual, or whether this denotes a more permanent shift in the approach to applying to medical school from this program. Either way, while many of us who applied this year have had a prolific application cycle, those of you attending this SMP next year will have to decide for yourself whether you think that waiting a year would be worth the boost in application strength. Our advisors typically consider waiting to be the wiser choice, but I didn't wait, and I certainly don't regret it.

That's awesome. I'm looking forward to seeing the results. There's other variables at play as well, like how many times you applied before. For some people, they had 1-3 unsuccessful cycles before starting the program, and they would be more inclined to wait until after the program. For others, it's their first time applying while in the program. I would urge incoming SMP students to talk to the program director and see if you should apply during the program. They accept a decent amount of students in the same year, so why not throw your hat in the pile. For those worrying about being a re-applicant to schools, I personally wouldn't worry about it so much, because you will have earned your MS degree, completed the SMP and thesis etc., so you will have plenty to say on how you improved your applicant from the year before, but that's just my opinion.

ACCEPTED! 507 mcat, 3.7 GPA, 3.6 science GPA. did SURF program at UC for two summers so that probably played a role. excited to join this program!

Reactions: 2 users
is it too late to apply? when is the deadline

I've just finished my MCAT on 5/13 and I haven't started anything on the application process, including LORs. I came across this program this morning and I'm just wondering if it's too late to apply for Fall cycle? Thanks

I've just finished my MCAT on 5/13 and I haven't started anything on the application process, including LORs. I came across this program this morning and I'm just wondering if it's too late to apply for Fall cycle? Thanks
They extended the deadline to June 11th, so hurry and get everything in! The original deadline was May 20th, so I had to scramble to get everything in (I only learned about the program about 2 weeks ago).

I'm wait listed at the only MD school I got an II to and realistically an SMP is my only shot at getting into med school since my GPA is RIDICULOUSLY low. Hoping for the best from UC!

ACCEPTED! 3.4 GPA (3.2 sGPA), 521 MCAT. I actually applied somewhat late (~May 8) because I was waiting for my new MCAT scores to come in. I applied last year to UC's SMP with a 509 MCAT 3.3 GPA (3.1 sGPA) and didn't get off their waitlist. Didn't apply early this year since I was afraid I'd get screened out as a reapplicant who did not improve their stats enough.

Good luck everyone else! Looks like they might be sifting through their waitlist during the deadline extension.

ACCEPTED! 3.4 GPA (3.2 sGPA), 521 MCAT. I actually applied somewhat late (~May 8) because I was waiting for my new MCAT scores to come in. I applied last year to UC's SMP with a 509 MCAT 3.3 GPA (3.1 sGPA) and didn't get off their waitlist. Didn't apply early this year since I was afraid I'd get screened out as a reapplicant who did not improve their stats enough.

Good luck everyone else! Looks like they might be sifting through their waitlist during the deadline extension.

A 509 to 521 is a significant improvement, congrats!

Does anyone know what the deadline is for claiming your spot once accepted?

I got the offer May 26th and in the acceptance email, they gave me a June 5 deadline to accept the position. So maybe it's ten days after you get accepted?

Hey everyone!

I just got accepted to the program. I'm looking at Stetson Square and Bellevue Gardens as potential housing options. I'd prefer Bellevue Gardens since it's considerably cheaper at about $1006 for a two bedroom and $1336 for a three bedroom apartment. I'm looking for at least one male roommate. Let me know if you're interested.

filling out the application for 2018 at the moment xD does the "Capstone Project" or any of the other classes help you get connected with research opportunites for the gap year (if you choose to wait until finishing the SMP to reapply to med school)?

Last edited:
filling out the application for 2018 at the moment xD does the "Capstone Project" or any of the other classes help you get connected with research opportunites for the gap year (if you choose to wait until finishing the SMP to reapply to med school)?

I don’t know of anyone doing paid research with their advisor during the gap year. Some people may volunteer and continue on with projects. But the nice part about Cincy is that Children’s Hospital is right here and UC is a huge academic hospital and research center, so there are tons of research opportunities available for the gap year. Caveat is you need experience to get the jobs (capstone can be good for that, but you have to pick wisely).

Just got accepted into the SMP, I’m sitting on a few MD waitlists but if things dont pan out I would be happy going to UC. The program seems pretty well organized and there seem to be a lot of opportunities in the city.

If any prior students can add more insight about the program it would be very helpful :) happy new year sdn!

Just got accepted into the SMP, I’m sitting on a few MD waitlists but if things dont pan out I would be happy going to UC. The program seems pretty well organized and there seem to be a lot of opportunities in the city.

If any prior students can add more insight about the program it would be very helpful :) happy new year sdn!

Congrats on the acceptance, and good luck with the MD waitlists!

I would definitely recommend this program - the small class size is probably the thing that I ended up liking the most about the UC SMP. Feel free to message me if you have any questions!

So I have to ask... What did you do to go from a 509 to 521? That's a huge improvement.