University of Cincinnati med students - happy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Alex

Dr.Alex
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the University of Cincinnati? I have to pick from 3 schools and I'm not from Ohio, so I haven't heard too much about the school beyond what I saw at the interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Dr.Alex said:
Any thoughts on the University of Cincinnati? I have to pick from 3 schools and I'm not from Ohio, so I haven't heard too much about the school beyond what I saw at the interview.

Hello,
I personally am very happy here. I will say that there will be happy and unhappy people at any university, it just depends on what your fix is. Good school, lots of help, and great people to be around. Find what it is that you are looking for and in the end you be happy no matter where you go.

TysonCook said:
Hello,
I personally am very happy here. I will say that there will be happy and unhappy people at any university, it just depends on what your fix is. Good school, lots of help, and great people to be around. Find what it is that you are looking for and in the end you be happy no matter where you go.

Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear. The only thing I'm really worried about is crime, I'm a smallish girl and I've read that there are a lot of muggings etc on the main UC campus. Is that a real concern? I'm from New York City so I like to think I'm pretty tough, but stats show NYC is much safer than Cincinnati.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr.Alex said:
Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear. The only thing I'm really worried about is crime, I'm a smallish girl and I've read that there are a lot of muggings etc on the main UC campus. Is that a real concern? I'm from New York City so I like to think I'm pretty tough, but stats show NYC is much safer than Cincinnati.

Hey,

I am in undergrad here at Cincy and will most likely be attending UC med this fall. If you grew up in NYC then you will most likely not find the Cincy campus too intimidating. Most of the crime-ridden neighborhoods in Cincinnati are far enough away from campus that students are not affected by violent crime. However, as with any urban campus, students need to be cautious (i.e. try not to walk alone after dark, walk on the side of the street with more lights/less dark alleys, etc.) This is common sense stuff that I'm sure you're aware of. Personally, I have never had any problems, even while living in Clifton Heights, a neighborhood near the main campus that suburbanites might consider somewhat "rough". Also, none of my close friends have had problems either.

Basically, I wouldn't let Cincy's tough identity keep you from attending school here, especially since you are used to an urban environment. Cincy really isn't that bad if you use common sense. There is also plenty of housing nearby Cincy that is very safe (Mt Adams, Mt Lookout, Hyde Park), although you will need a car to commute. PM me if you have any other questions, and maybe I'll see you here in August!

DocMizzle said:
Hey,

I am in undergrad here at Cincy and will most likely be attending UC med this fall. If you grew up in NYC then you will most likely not find the Cincy campus too intimidating. Most of the crime-ridden neighborhoods in Cincinnati are far enough away from campus that students are not affected by violent crime. However, as with any urban campus, students need to be cautious (i.e. try not to walk alone after dark, walk on the side of the street with more lights/less dark alleys, etc.) This is common sense stuff that I'm sure you're aware of. Personally, I have never had any problems, even while living in Clifton Heights, a neighborhood near the main campus that suburbanites might consider somewhat "rough". Also, none of my close friends have had problems either.

Basically, I wouldn't let Cincy's tough identity keep you from attending school here, especially since you are used to an urban environment. Cincy really isn't that bad if you use common sense. There is also plenty of housing nearby Cincy that is very safe (Mt Adams, Mt Lookout, Hyde Park), although you will need a car to commute. PM me if you have any other questions, and maybe I'll see you here in August!

Great, all good news. I'll let you know if I'm headed to UC, I'm waiting to see where my husband gets accepted to architecture programs . . .