University of Cincinnati School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

SDN-Jim

University of Cincinnati
Office of Student Affairs
PO Box 670552
Cincinnati, OH 45267-0552

Admissions: 513 558 7314 http://medcenter.uc.edu/

Deadline: 11/15
In State Tuition: 12000
Out-of State Tuition: 21000
Number of Students: around 640
Average MCAT: 9-10

Please post any experiences you have with this school.

This is part of the big guide at http://www.studentdoctor.net

Members don't see this ad.

I am in my first year at UC, and am very happy with my descision to attend this school over some others. I am extremely impressed with the school and its program, which is integrated (ie the courses all work together), as well as systems based. Also, we use the "Test-Block" system, which means that every 4-6 weeks, we have a week of only exams (no class). This removes the added stress of studying for a test in one class, while trying to keep up in all the others.

If you have a question, or would like to discuss UC, feel free to post it here. I'll try to be as non-biased as possible!!
wink.gif

Mango,

How difficult is it to gain admission if you're not an Ohio state resident? I'm from IL. How would this be viewed? I know I wouldn't have as good as a shot at UC like I would at one of the 8 IL schools, but UC sounds like to cool place to be. Also, What type of "out-standing" extra-curricular activities did you participate in, which might have helped your application to medical school? It sounds like you had options and choices when choosing a school. To what other schools where you accepted?

Thanks

NUT

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, unfortunately we're about 90% in state residents. Also, those that do get in from out of state tend to have graduated from schools like Vandy, Stanford, Yale, etc., and have MCATS in the higher ranges (ie at least 10's-11's). However, that doesn't mean you shouldn't try! This school loves well rounded students, and my class is no exception.

As for me, I attribute my acceptances to having taken two years off after college. You asked which other schools I was accepted to, they were Wright State, OU, and OSU. My choice was based on a general good feeling I had here, plus a very happy student body, as well as the high academic standards at UC, compared to the others. Also this school is surrounded (literally) by five hospitals, including University, Children's (one of the best in the nation), Good Sam, Christ, VA, and also a Shriner's Burn Center. Basically you can't beat the resources we have available here!

As for me, during my time off I did four important things. 1. Was to take Physics II since I didn't take it in college, 2. was to take the Kaplan MCAT course and study intensely for three months (resulting in three 10's), 3. was to relax and enjoy the real world, and 4. The most important thing I did was spend 16 months working as a PCT (nursing aid) in a large hospital. This was the boost I needed, and taught me so many things about patient care, working with doctors and nurses, and so on. I could go on about this forever (see some of my older posts).

Anyhow, I hope that helps you out. I would suggest that everybody get some kind of hands on patient care experience before applying to med school. You'd be astonished to see how many of the people in my class have done just that. It is a trend I see continuing, as med schools begin to acknowledge that students who have had real medical experience before beginning med school, turn out to be better prepared for the clinical years of med school. And therefore become better clinicians after graduation. Good Luck!

Mango, I'm a CA resident with GPA 3.88, and SCI GPA 3.91 from UC Berkeley. However, I score low in my MCAT verbal: 7 (PS: 12, BS:12) writing score is also low: M. As you might have guessed, English is my second language. I've tried to retake MCAT once, but got exactly same score again. Is it possible to get into UC schools with this low verbal score if I had done two years of research, lots of community services and got nice letters? How about my chance to other private schools in US? I'm really worried now. Could everyone gives comment on this?
Thanks a lot.

Well, the UC we were discussing is University of Cincinnati! Sorry
smile.gif
I guess it gets a little confusing.

As for your question, I really don't know much about the CA schools. And if I will also tell you that nobody can tell you just by looking at your numbers if you will be accepted. Med school admissions are too complex for anybody on this forum to give you an accurate response. Just go for it, and everything will work out! That's the best advice I got when I was going through it. Good Luck, Mango

Opps =P Mango, thanks for your help anyway =)

I have to second what Mango said about UC. I did my undergrad there and then went to CWRU for grad school. After grad school I moved out of state. I was a pretty good candidate (32Q with 3.6), significant volunteering experience, extensive lab experience, I speak Spanish, etc. etc. Despite that I didn't even get an interview from UC.

G

Hi Mango,

Noticed that you attend UC. I interview there next Tuesday and I was just wondering if I'm interviewing for an empty spot in next year's class or just a spot on the waitlist at this point.

Liked your comments on the school, by the way... very informative.

-Glands

Meghan (Mango),
Didn't realize that you were a female. Sorry about the PMS joke. Anyhoo, I noticed that you were wait-listed at UC last year and came off the list in June. Can I ask, when did you interview? What school were you already accepted to at the time UC accepted you? Thanks for any help.

Mike

Glands, I'm happy to talk about UC! I love it here, and I hope you have a good time when you visit. Don't be too concerned about the interview; they're usually pretty laid back. And I'm sure you will notice while you're here how happy all of us students are. I was actually shocked when I interviewed that med students could actually enjoy med school. But it is possible. Don't get me wrong; it is tough, but not impossible.

Anyhow, my situation is a bit unique. I procrastinated getting my rec letters turned in until late November. So most of my apps weren't complete until December. At that time, I began to get interview requests, and I had my first interview on January 18th at UC. At that time I was told that I would most likely be placed on the wait list due to the fact that they had mailed out almost all of their acceptances. So I was a bit discouraged.

I received a letter on March 2nd, saying that I was on the waitlist, and then on May 16th, they sent a letter saying, "You are currently rated with a group of candidates at or near the top of our rank order list." I got the acceptance letter on June 2nd.

But don't get too discouraged, there are a lot of people in my class who were taken off the waitlist. And some of them had been waitlisted for several months longer than I had. But remember, lists are ranked by your "rating" which is determined by you qualifications, not on when your app was complete, or by when you interviewed. I think that fact helped me out. One more thing, are you from Ohio? Because we are about 90% in state students.

I'd be happy to answer any additional questions, and good luck to you, and anyone else coming to the Nati to interview!
smile.gif

Thanks Mango for the helpful info. To answer your question, Yes, I'm from Ohio... Kettering to be exact. I don't know if I'd accept an offer in June from any school. I'd like to get housing and financial aid taken care of before then. I would just attend one of the schools to which I've already been accepted.
I'm going to Cincinnati because I've heard a lot of great things about the school from friends who interviewed there and of course, from you
smile.gif

Take care,
Glands

I wouldn't worry too much about knowing specifically which school you'll be attending in reference to finalcial aid. You will just end up submitting the fafsa with more than one school designated. Then the schools that have you waitlisted, will treat you in the same manner as they treat accepted students. For instance, you will apply for fin. aid at Cincy during the interview day. It really doesn't make it that difficult. Cincy was my top choice of schools, so as I was waiting for my acceptance, I held onto two other acceptances, and turned down OU (wasn't found of that new curriculum). Anyhow, I jjst filled out the required paperwork, and the schools took care of the rest. No big deal.

And as far as housing goes, finding an apartment in Cincy is pretty easy. Plus, they don't release the housing request info (ie who wants a roommate, etc) until late July.

Hope this helps, and maybe I'll see you next Tuesday (if you see a group of like 8 girls and a hanfull of guys eating lunch on the purple couches outside of the admissions office, I'm sure to be one of them)!
wink.gif

Mango,
Do you know how late UC interviews?

------------------
Amy
University of Rochester, class of 2001

No, I'm sorry I don't. They were interviewing today, and I assume they continue through Feb, if not into March. Maybe longer. I really have no idea. I'll see if I can find out tomorrow.