University of Cincinnati SMP 2021–22

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bearcat2020

Reaction score
Hey! I'm a graduate from the University of Cincinnati's SMP program and was recently accepted into UC's medical school. Please let me know if you have any questions about the program.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
hi congratulations!! i just completed my app for UC's SMP program. what was the atmosphere among students like? was everyone in the same boat and friendly or did you feel like it was pretty competitive?

Hey! I'm a recent graduate from the University of Cincinnati's SMP program and was recently accepted into UC's medical school. Please let me know if you have any questions about the program.
Congratulations! I applied back at the end of October and I'm very excited about this program! Do you mind if I ask about your stats prior to the smp and how you did during the smp? Also did you take a gap year following the smp before being accepted? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
hi congratulations!! i just completed my app for UC's SMP program. what was the atmosphere among students like? was everyone in the same boat and friendly or did you feel like it was pretty competitive?
Hi! I graduated from the program and I am a current medical student at UC. The atmosphere amongst students in each class varies, but I can say that, for the most part, everyone is supportive of one another. Being a program with ~32-40 students and great stats, no one feels the need to compete with others. Everyone is simply trying to do well and everyone can equally succeed. Moreover, the M1's who graduate from the program provide tons of support too (i.e. how to succeed in classes, how/when to prepare your applications, etc.). There are always people who are lone wolves and do their own thing, but in general, the whole class feels supportive in my opinion.

Hi, there! SMP grad here too and current UC med student. The atmosphere is incredible. I made some lifelong friends in the program. It's a lot of work, as any of these programs is, but the small class size means that folks can lean on each other for support. Don't get me wrong, there might be one or two folks who you don't mesh with, but that's fine. No one is "out to get" anyone else. Far from it. There's sharing of study resources, group gatherings, commiserations, and celebrations. You will never find another group of people who understand quite as well how difficult it is to get into medical school, and that commonality really generates some deep bonding.

Congratulations! I applied back at the end of October and I'm very excited about this program! Do you mind if I ask about your stats prior to the smp and how you did during the smp? Also did you take a gap year following the smp before being accepted? Thanks!
Hi! Everyone has different stats coming into the program. You tend to find that there are three groups that people fall into: a) low undergrad GPA with upward trend + decent MCAT, b) low MCAT + decent undergrad GPA, c) folks who came from a major with too few science classes and only performed at an average level in their med school prereqs. Lots of folks take a gap year afterward, especially with the guaranteed interview (depending on SMP performance) these days; for some, this is a great opportunity to retake the MCAT. Successful applicants to UCCOM will likely have performed at an A- average or better in the program, with more emphasis on medical school blocks, and have gotten a 514+ on the MCAT. This varies a bit based on life circumstances/experiences and interview performance. Hope that helps :)

Hi! Everyone has different stats coming into the program. You tend to find that there are three groups that people fall into: a) low undergrad GPA with upward trend + decent MCAT, b) low MCAT + decent undergrad GPA, c) folks who came from a major with too few science classes and only performed at an average level in their med school prereqs. Lots of folks take a gap year afterward, especially with the guaranteed interview (depending on SMP performance) these days; for some, this is a great opportunity to retake the MCAT. Successful applicants to UCCOM will likely have performed at an A- average or better in the program, with more emphasis on medical school blocks, and have gotten a 514+ on the MCAT. This varies a bit based on life circumstances/experiences and interview performance. Hope that helps :)
Thank you so much for your reply! How available is advising or informal help with applications and obtaining LORs? I am several years outside my undergraduate degree and I feel like my "academic" LORs are a little stale due to the elapsed time and I'm hoping to get some fresh new ones. Also are there many students who get research positions at the university during the gap year, as I would love to stuck around the cincinnati area and work during that time.

Thank you so much for your reply! How available is advising or informal help with applications and obtaining LORs? I am several years outside my undergraduate degree and I feel like my "academic" LORs are a little stale due to the elapsed time and I'm hoping to get some fresh new ones. Also are there many students who get research positions at the university during the gap year, as I would love to stuck around the cincinnati area and work during that time.
In our year, we were assigned a faculty mentor as well as an alumni mentor who did provide "informal" help with applications and LOTRs! Of course, this did depend on the relationship and availability of the mentors you were paired with. Halfway through the program, we had a meeting with the program director who provided explicit tips on how we could improve our application.

Many of my classmates are currently working in research programs around Cincy! Cincinnati Children's is located right next to us, which is a great hospital for research opportunities!

In our year, we were assigned a faculty mentor as well as an alumni mentor who did provide "informal" help with applications and LOTRs! Of course, this did depend on the relationship and availability of the mentors you were paired with. Halfway through the program, we had a meeting with the program director who provided explicit tips on how we could improve our application.

Many of my classmates are currently working in research programs around Cincy! Cincinnati Children's is located right next to us, which is a great hospital for research opportunities!
Thanks for the information!! I'll shoot more questions later!

Hi! I am a recent graduate of the program. I saw your question about stats and how you did in the program, so I thought I would share my experience. I graduated from UC Berkeley with a 3.23 cGPA and ~3.0 BCPM. After college, I did an informal post-bac at Berkeley's extension program, taking about 30 units worth of courses over a 2-year span while working full-time. I took the MCAT in 2018 and received a lower-end score of 506--I am one of those individuals who can't seem to crack the CARS section. I applied to UC's program to show ADCOMs that my MCAT score did not reflect my academic capacity for medical school and to prove my preparedness for medical school. By the end of the program, I was able to earn a 3.89 GPA and I retook the MCAT about a month and a half later and improved my score.

As the other former students have mentioned, there is a very strong and supportive culture fostered by the faculty and the students who are admitted into the program. Whenever you have any questions, need professional advice, or even just need someone to vent or talk to, the faculty will always try their best to find time to address your needs. The program is also supported by an amazing admin team. I truly cannot put into words how great of an experience I had in the program. I highly recommend this program to any student who needs help getting into medical school. I honestly felt like family with everyone associated with the program.

Its crazy how much positive feedback I see on these forums about this program. It makes me super excited to hear back from them! I am a low gpa high mcat applicant and I need an opportunity to show that I am able to handle the academic rigors of med school. It sounds like this is the perfect fit for me!

• Love
Hello! I'm currently applying and was wondering if I would be a suitable/competitive applicant for this program. My cGPA is 3.53 and sGPA is 3.32. Planning to take the MCAT in march. I'm worried that this is a bit late, considering they do rolling admissions. Is it generally pretty difficult to get in?

Hey all just wanted to post that I got an application completion email today. They said they won't be reviewing applications until the middle of December and that they sent decisions within 4-6 weeks. I applied back in October, so I think its still very early in the application cycle for anyone else thinking of applying. 👍

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I'm currently applying and was wondering if I would be a suitable/competitive applicant for this program. My cGPA is 3.53 and sGPA is 3.32. Planning to take the MCAT in march. I'm worried that this is a bit late, considering they do rolling admissions. Is it generally pretty difficult to get in?
Our cohort of SMPers had a range of stats, so I would definitely encourage applying.

Just received my acceptance this morning via email! I'm so excited to start this program in the fall!

I am currently an ICU nurse in Boston. I’ve completed a post-bacc and applied to medical schools this cycle, I have no II and 3 Rs. I really like this program and am wondering about my chances at admission! I’m also wondering how much folks addended their PS for this application. Lastly, can I use my committee letter to fulfill the LOR requirements? My stats are 3.46 cGPA, 3.73 sGPA, 513 127/128/128/130. I have about 8000 hours as an ICU nurse. I’m super excited about this program and thank you for your help in advance!

I am currently an ICU nurse in Boston. I’ve completed a post-bacc and applied to medical schools this cycle, I have no II and 3 Rs. I really like this program and am wondering about my chances at admission! I’m also wondering how much folks addended their PS for this application. Lastly, can I use my committee letter to fulfill the LOR requirements? My stats are 3.46 cGPA, 3.73 sGPA, 513 127/128/128/130. I have about 8000 hours as an ICU nurse. I’m super excited about this program and thank you for your help in advance!
Your stats are definitely competitive and I would recommend applying, if you are interested! I think you would bring a lot of valuable experience as an ICU nurse. What kind of committee letter is it? I would reach out to the program administrators directly about this!

Any current students applying mind sharing their stats? Thanks!

Hey ya'll, I got actually got accepted to my in-state medical school, and so I just reached out to Emma and withdrew my application! Goodluck to you all!!

Hi Guys, I have finished the application but I am taking my Mcats in may and they won't be looking at my application until they get the score. Emma said she would hold on to my application but do you think that would be too late? I am scared that I might be able to get in.

Got my acceptance this week! This is the only program I applied to and I accepted the offer immediately. Looking forward to attending!

Hello! I have a question regarding Ohio state residency by the time we apply to medical school and any answers/advice are appreciated! Obviously establishing as an Ohio resident is a big advantage. I am not trying to cheat the system by reclassifying. I would be a new permanent resident and I am not a resident of any state. Therefore, it only makes sense for me to try to classify as an Ohio resident.
From what I have gathered, the requirement is to be self-supporting and physically present (with a lease, license, etc) for 12 consecutive months prior to matriculation. This is where it gets blurry to me. If I am applying for medical school in 2022 cycle, for matriculation in Fall 2023, when exactly does the 12-month countdown start? May 2021? 2022? I think AMCAS probably does not verify state residency, and it is only verified by individual medical schools that one is accepted to prior to matriculation, is that correct? Does that mean we need to finish a 12-month period prior to any acceptance, not by the time the AMCAS application is submitted?
Let me know if these questions do not make sense :( I imagine people who have got through this program must have faced the same confusion. Thanks in advance!

Hello! I have a question regarding Ohio state residency by the time we apply to medical school and any answers/advice are appreciated! Obviously establishing as an Ohio resident is a big advantage. I am not trying to cheat the system by reclassifying. I would be a new permanent resident and I am not a resident of any state. Therefore, it only makes sense for me to try to classify as an Ohio resident.
From what I have gathered, the requirement is to be self-supporting and physically present (with a lease, license, etc) for 12 consecutive months prior to matriculation. This is where it gets blurry to me. If I am applying for medical school in 2022 cycle, for matriculation in Fall 2023, when exactly does the 12-month countdown start? May 2021? 2022? I think AMCAS probably does not verify state residency, and it is only verified by individual medical schools that one is accepted to prior to matriculation, is that correct? Does that mean we need to finish a 12-month period prior to any acceptance, not by the time the AMCAS application is submitted?
Let me know if these questions do not make sense :( I imagine people who have got through this program must have faced the same confusion. Thanks in advance!
At the beginning of the year there was a representative from financial aid that gave a presentation about declaring in-state residency. You seem to have done the leg work since the information you found is the same that was told to us. The 12 months starts as soon as you start living in the state so say Aug. 2021 for example. As long as you follow those guidelines you should be viewed as a "in-state applicant" for Ohio. Many of my classmates and the alumni have done this same thing. But if you have more questions about your specific case I would send an email to UC's financial aid office since they handle the in-state stuff.

At the beginning of the year there was a representative from financial aid that gave a presentation about declaring in-state residency. You seem to have done the leg work since the information you found is the same that was told to us. The 12 months starts as soon as you start living in the state so say Aug. 2021 for example. As long as you follow those guidelines you should be viewed as a "in-state applicant" for Ohio. Many of my classmates and the alumni have done this same thing. But if you have more questions about your specific case I would send an email to UC's financial aid office since they handle the in-state stuff.
Thank you! That is very helpful!

Does anybody know what the opportunities are for gaining clinical experience through this program? I understand there are wonderful research opportunities through the surrounding hospitals, but I am also coming from a heavy non-clinical research background.

I have a question regarding the automatic interview UC gives their students after completing the SMP. On the website, it states "UC SMP graduates who submit a medical-school application to the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine will be invited for interview provided that their performance in the SMP has met certain academic criteria and their conduct satisfies our high standards of professionalism. Students who have been interviewed by UC medical school admissions within the program year are not eligible for an automatic interview after they have graduated from the SMP."

Does this mean students who choose to apply to medical school the summer before attending the program, if they meet certain academic criteria, will be given an automatic interview within the program year? And if they had an automatic interview during the program year but ultimately did not get accepted, they will not be able to receive another automatic interview after they have graduated, if they re-apply the year after? Or, does UC only give automatic interviews for applicants that are SMP graduates and are in their lag year? I'm confused about how the timeline and automatic interview works, because I am interested in applying to the program and also planning to apply to medical schools during the 2021-2022 application cycle. Thanks in advance if you respond to this!

Does this mean students who choose to apply to medical school the summer before attending the program, if they meet certain academic criteria, will be given an automatic interview within the program year?
I have the exact same question and have not been able to find any info on this. Any current/former student able to help with this please? :)
@Bearcat2020 @FDRLe5

I have a question regarding the automatic interview UC gives their students after completing the SMP. On the website, it states "UC SMP graduates who submit a medical-school application to the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine will be invited for interview provided that their performance in the SMP has met certain academic criteria and their conduct satisfies our high standards of professionalism. Students who have been interviewed by UC medical school admissions within the program year are not eligible for an automatic interview after they have graduated from the SMP."

Does this mean students who choose to apply to medical school the summer before attending the program, if they meet certain academic criteria, will be given an automatic interview within the program year? And if they had an automatic interview during the program year but ultimately did not get accepted, they will not be able to receive another automatic interview after they have graduated, if they re-apply the year after? Or, does UC only give automatic interviews for applicants that are SMP graduates and are in their lag year? I'm confused about how the timeline and automatic interview works, because I am interested in applying to the program and also planning to apply to medical schools during the 2021-2022 application cycle. Thanks in advance if you respond to this!
To answer this question for you and @ThePACK. The guaranteed interview is only given AFTER completion of the program with a B+ or higher in FOMM, FOCM, MSK. So for the guaranteed interview it will take place during your "gap year". Some people that apply to UCCOM the summer before the program might get interviews at UC but that's based on mostly their metrics from undergrad with some help from grade updates during the fall classes.

If you interview at UCCOM during the year you lose the guaranteed interview after you graduate the SMP. There are people who did not get accepted after an interview during the program year, but earned an interview the year after. in this case, neither interview was guaranteed.

For the timeline, it seems that most SMP students will with the guaranteed interview will have that interview later in the fall/early winter. This is actually to the applicants advantage since UC accepts a relatively constant percentage of each interview day. So interviewing the first day in September would mean being compared to the cream of the crop in terms of applicants. A little later doesn't hurt your chances of acceptance.

I went ahead and linked the policy that was given to us during orientation in the attached PDF. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• UCCOM policy.pdf
    365.5 KB · Views: 164
Reactions: 1 users
Does anybody know what the opportunities are for gaining clinical experience through this program? I understand there are wonderful research opportunities through the surrounding hospitals, but I am also coming from a heavy non-clinical research background.
Some of the alumni might be able to speak to this more since us current students are still dealing with COVID regulations. Hopefully you all won't have to deal with this. There are typically many opportunities for shadowing since you meet many physician professors, who are eager to share their specialty with students. Students have been getting exposure through volunteering with hospice groups, COVID response, part time gigs with the hospital. Some of the alumni who are in the M1 class are trying to expand student clinic experiences to the SMP students but that is not a sure thing at this time. After graduation there are a lot of opportunities for research in a clinical setting or a job in a clinical setting.

I personally have a decent amount of clinical exposure, but I added some more from helping with the counties COVID response. Also I have been attending many of the Grand rounds and M&M for various specialties (as a stand in for shadowing). The shadowing hasn't been available to us this year and just opened to vaccinated medical students this last week or so, but am looking forward to them being available.

Some of the alumni might be able to speak to this more since us current students are still dealing with COVID regulations. Hopefully you all won't have to deal with this. There are typically many opportunities for shadowing since you meet many physician professors, who are eager to share their specialty with students. Students have been getting exposure through volunteering with hospice groups, COVID response, part time gigs with the hospital. Some of the alumni who are in the M1 class are trying to expand student clinic experiences to the SMP students but that is not a sure thing at this time. After graduation there are a lot of opportunities for research in a clinical setting or a job in a clinical setting.

I personally have a decent amount of clinical exposure, but I added some more from helping with the counties COVID response. Also I have been attending many of the Grand rounds and M&M for various specialties (as a stand in for shadowing). The shadowing hasn't been available to us this year and just opened to vaccinated medical students this last week or so, but am looking forward to them being available.
Can you talk about how many students from each class they interview and how many matriculate? I know this is dependent on a few different factors but I am speaking generally. Do they take about atleast half of their own students or is it more/less?

Can you talk about how many students from each class they interview and how many matriculate? I know this is dependent on a few different factors but I am speaking generally. Do they take about atleast half of their own students or is it more/less?
Sadly I can't say exactly because the program does not publish the number of students that receive the guaranteed interview. There is no cap to how many will get interviews. If all 40 students earn the needed grades and don't meet exclusion criteria, all 40 will be interviewed. During the latest website rework a lot of the valuable data of matriculant and other acceptances was not added. The data is still there for the class of 2015 and 13 out of 30 students received acceptances from Cincinnati. The numbers are very reassuring. If you join this program and perform well your chances at UCCOM greatly expand.

The numbers seem to fluctuate a bit year to year but UCCOM seems to, and the adcom has said, that it places great value on the positive performance of an SMP student.

Has anyone gotten in without completing the "highly recommended" optional video essay? It seems not very optional

How many of your classmates applied to schools during the SMP and were successful? Or do they recommend waiting until completion of the program?
waited until the completion of the program to apply and as far as I know I think roughly 3 people applied during the program and one got into Cincinnati and one got into Rutgers. I would say this doesn't really reflect the how beneficial the program really is though as they had already applied with one of them being accepted around September and I can't remember when the other was accepted. I would say for most people applying (low gpa, high mcat) the best strategy would be to wait until after completion. I personally believe it shows adcoms you're willing to take the time to correct your past academic mistakes.

waited until the completion of the program to apply and as far as I know I think roughly 3 people applied during the program and one got into Cincinnati and one got into Rutgers. I would say this doesn't really reflect the how beneficial the program really is though as they had already applied with one of them being accepted around September and I can't remember when the other was accepted. I would say for most people applying (low gpa, high mcat) the best strategy would be to wait until after completion. I personally believe it shows adcoms you're willing to take the time to correct your past academic mistakes.
Have you found that Adcoms generally view the program favorably? I know for low GPA students, alot of advisers recommend a post-bacc over an SMP because post-baccs can improve UG-GPA. It seems like the UC program is specifically tailored to parallel M1, so I thought maybe adcoms would appreciate it more?

Have you found that Adcoms generally view the program favorably? I know for low GPA students, alot of advisers recommend a post-bacc over an SMP because post-baccs can improve UG-GPA. It seems like the UC program is specifically tailored to parallel M1, so I thought maybe adcoms would appreciate it more?
I can't really answer that question since it would be purely speculation but I had a pretty low UG gpa and I really don't think I could have raised it very much without essentially completing another bachelors degree. I always thought about it as just showing adcoms that I could be a good student, and it's hard to offer better proof than excelling in classes with real medical students. I personally don't think I would have gotten into med school with just doing a few post-bacc classes here and there. So it really depends on your situation

I can't really answer that question since it would be purely speculation but I had a pretty low UG gpa and I really don't think I could have raised it very much without essentially completing another bachelors degree. I always thought about it as just showing adcoms that I could be a good student, and it's hard to offer better proof than excelling in classes with real medical students. I personally don't think I would have gotten into med school with just doing a few post-bacc classes here and there. So it really depends on your situation
Thanks for your response!

Has anyone gotten in without completing the "highly recommended" optional video essay? It seems not very optional
Hey ThePACK,

I am currently in the program, anyone is free to direct message me questions they might have, I didn't do the optional video and got in. Granted, I applied early and was in by February.

Hello everyone, I submitted my app for this program on 3/18. When can I expect a decision on my app?

Are there scholarships available for accepted students for this program?

Accepted to this program and trying to figure out whether or not I should apply during or after the program? Would love some input from alumni :)

Accepted to this program and trying to figure out whether or not I should apply during or after the program? Would love some
That's a tough call. It is kind of a case by case basis I'd say. If you're at a point academically where you could probably get in but you're just adding a little extra on top to give yourself the edge, I think it would be good to consider applying before. If you apply before hand the program will give you update letters for the 2 or 3 classes that you potentially would have grades in time to make a difference. These could help with schools that you're applying to or interviewing at. However, I have been seeing that schools have been holding out making a accept/reject decision. I don't know what specifically is causing that, but potentially they want to see how all the course work turns out? Just my speculation.

If you are joining this program to repair some academic damage or as a career changer I would recommend waiting to apply until after the program. All the extra classes and experience will aid your application. I would probably loop people who just graduated college into this category personally as well. Adding to your experiences is valuable and rushing things might not be the best idea. If you take this route you can certainly do some good for yourself by having a recent MCAT with a good score and getting a head start on your application materials. There is not a time buffer between graduation and application times and getting these things out of the way will save you a headache. Trust me.

People are successful both ways but I think it takes some analysis of your situation first. But that is my take.