Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

University of Cincinnati SMP Class of 2008

Discussion in 'Postbaccalaureate Programs' started by braluk, Apr 13, 2007.

1. braluk

braluk SDN Surgerynator
    Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    Just wanted to start this up for anyone who have been accepted and had questions or comments or anything at all. :)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. chowchilla

Pre-Medical
    i haven't heard a thing from them since i sent my application. not even a 'complete' notification. in any case, i'm not so sure i even want to go there now since there's no real benefit being an oos applicant.

4. DrVanNostran

Resident [Any Field]
    I had to call to verify that I was complete. This process is just as bad as waiting for med schools

5. kobugiman

kobugiman New Member

Medical Student
    i was accepted, and have till the 20th to send in my intent.

i am more strongly considering georgetown though...

6. MD84

Hey everyone,
    I'm in at UC. Although I've been accepted at Boston as well, I am leaning towards this program. I think the small size of the class will be a huge benefit. The price difference is also substantial. I read that UC SMP students have been given the opportunity to learn more from the cardiothoracic department. Do you know of any other opportunities that I should pursue while at UC? I'm interested in learning more about different specialties.
    Also I read the list of schools that UC SMP students have been accepted to. How many out of 19 have gotten into allopathic medical schools so far? Also how many received interviews/acceptances at UC?
    Finally can you think of any benefits that Boston would provide that UC does not?
    Thanks!

7. princessbbn

Pre-Medical
    i just wanted to update everyone on information i received today....(cuz i know, at least for me, it helps make the waiting process a bit more bearable) :oops: so, i spoke with karen today and everything she told me was extremely informative (at least in my opinion):
    1. they will continue reviewing applications today (yes THIS afternoon)
    2. if you are accepted (you will hear tomorrow by e-mail)
    3. if you are rejected (you will probably hear on wednesday by e-mail)
    4. if you are waitlisted (you will not hear from them for a while....because they will put you on hold and rate you for the waitlist in case anyone backs out from an acceptance)
    5. 10 spots are filled thus far (i believe they will be accepting 20 total)

well best of luck to everyone!!! guess who'll be checking their e-mail like a maniac tomorrow? :laugh:

8. axekilo111

axekilo111 Newb

Pre-Medical
    thanks for the update, the admin office has been impossible to reach.

9. DrVanNostran

Resident [Any Field]
    wow, thanks for the update. I will be anxiously checking my email tomorrow (and wednesday :scared: )

Hopefully, we hear something positive:)

10. Christofurrr

Christofurrr Junior Member

Medical Student
    Hi everyone. I just received an e-mail from U Cinn asking about my intentions to attend. I guess they sent out an acceptance for me on April 5 and I never got it. I'm e-mailing and calling madly right now to secure my spot. I'm guessing they're wanting to know if I'll attend so they can send out some more acceptances tomorrow. Good luck everyone!! I hope to see you guys next year!

11. princessbbn

Pre-Medical
    LUCKY!!!!!!!! i'm so jealous.....hehehe ;) but nonetheless *CONGRATZ*!!!! oh also, when was u'r app complete christofurrrr?

12. ilovescience

Medical Student
    congrats christofurrr!

13. Farmy

Pre-Medical

Hey guys...

Out of 19, we've had 6 ppl accepted, 5 to Allos. 8 of us have interviewed at UC....only 1 acceptance, the rest Alternate listed.

As far as opportunities, there are ENDLESS opportunities, but most of them require some work to find. The CT conferences are really cool (and provide a free meal), but its also easy to sit in on some of the lectures during lunch, which are sponsored by the UCCOM Student Org's (more free food). We also just started a new shadowing program (PCOP) and a couple of us have been able to shadow in internal med, neuro, and critical care. This program is literally just getting off the ground, but it should be much more organized next year. As far others, if you really are interested in something or want to learn about something, you can find it with a little work. With University Hosp., Cincy Children's, the VA, plus like 4 other hospitals close by, you should be able to find whatever you want.

14. halekulani

halekulani Member

Medical Student
    doesn't the application cycle run until june 1st?

15. dayumgina

dayumgina New Member

Medical Student
    Christofurrr...You are my hero!!!

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. princessbbn

Pre-Medical
    sorry.....i may not have been clear in my reply.......
    but i meant to say that applications were going to *continue* being reviewed.....(as far as i know.....*my* application was for sure going to be in the review pile this afternoon but i guess i can't say the same for everyone's? i completed at about the beginning of april so i suppose those complete around the same time would be reviewed as well.....) well best of luck to everyone! (me included.......) :laugh:

18. princessbbn

Pre-Medical
    *EVERYTHING* minus the 6/19 sounds awesome! :rolleyes: the stats of those who get accepted into allopathic schools 5/19 is slightly disheartening.......:( but in the glass is half *full* perspective......that's an amazing percentage in comparison to my chances of making it into med school currently w/out the smp......:p

19. jmed6182

jmed6182 Junior Member

Pre-Medical
    anybody receive an email today?

20. princessbbn

Pre-Medical
    noooooo~~~ :::sob::: when do you think is the *latest* they'd send it out? :oops:

21. Christofurrr

Christofurrr Junior Member

Medical Student
    Thanks everyone haha. I was confused about who you were at first dayumgina but just figured it out :laugh: . princessbbn I was complete at U Cinn around the end of the 2nd week of March. I was just about to send my deposit in and just got an e-mail from Georgetown saying I'm accepted. I need to think a lot tonight, both programs have great things going for them... ehh so confused :confused: . Anyway, good luck again everyone. Don't get too down on yourselves, i was pretty down and was freaking out about what might be wrong with me and/or my application. Just try to keep calm, the news will come in. I know it's hard not to feel down, but remember, there are many paths toward your goals, don't get discouraged.

22. DrVanNostran

Resident [Any Field]
    no...:(

23. Farmy

Pre-Medical

True, 6/19 isn't great, but we still have 6-8 on waitlists, so that little statistic could (hopefully it does!) go up. The one thing is that all of us continually updated our applications at all the school(s) we interviewed at, so its easy to show upward progress. I know there are a couple of us who interviewed early and were probably waitlisted because the school(s) didn't know yet how we were doing (just one of those things that happens while applying during your SMP). My personal opinion is that a lot of our ppl have really good chances of getting off waitlists come May 15th....

24. jmed6182

jmed6182 Junior Member

Pre-Medical
    I called to check on my app today and it appears that Karen is out of the office until monday.....

25. princessbbn

Pre-Medical
    booo~ o well.......so hmmm.....does that mean no rejection e-mails being sent today?.....:oops:
    hmmm.....i hope she wasn't pulling my leg when i called......:confused:
    but doesn't seem like *anyone* has received a rejection so far....right?
    i dunno.....just seems like all her answers were too good to be true......
    after hearing of my evms waitlist.....every glass cup went from half full to shattered on the floor empty.....+pity+

26. DrVanNostran

Resident [Any Field]
    look at the bright side...if you were accepted, you will have an extra week to decide to send in the 500 deposit:)

27. princessbbn

Pre-Medical
    lol......that comment totally made me smile.....:laugh:
    i guess we're still allowed to dream huh.......
    time to go out and buy a new glass cup......

28. DrVanNostran

Resident [Any Field]
    :p

Ive learned to by solid plastic cups. That way I can't tell if they are half empty or half full.

29. DrVanNostran

Resident [Any Field]
    Oh yeah, I was thinking, if we were WLd at EVMS, it seems like the same odds are going to hold true at Cinci? Seems like both programs have similar numbers...

30. medanthgirl

medanthgirl Senior Member

hi there!
    i'm in this year's class and i think the small class size is a bonus (plus the fact it is a one year program). the faculty of the medical school here is very student centered i've felt like, i don't know about boston, but i think there is very good interaction between the students of our program and the faculty. you guys will have an additional class in your curriculum (microanatomy) but it will really help i think. if you are doing well in classes there are a lot of extra things to do here i feel like....like farmy mentioned the shadowing program will be well established, the cardiothoracic conferences every week are great exposure (again with incredibly friendly faculty surgeons), and there are volunteer opportunities at the hospitals and a downtown free clinic as well. research opportunities are pretty numerous as well, but i think the most important thing is to get your classes and grades straight, and be putting good work into your thesis too. dr. banks is really great about sending update letters to the schools that you've applied to as you get test grades and thesis work done, i think that helped a lot of people get interviews soon after.

in other words, i think the faculty here are supportive, and it makes for a very busy year, but there is lots of good work to be done! :luck:

31. halekulani

halekulani Member

Medical Student
    congrats on matriculating straight into UC

just submitted my app (been completed for a few weeks now but never got around to the finishing touches ;\ )

32. rkonmd

rkonmd New Member

So I applied way back in January, I was told my application has been reviewed and rated (assigned a #) and will be notified when and if my # comes up...i guess its a good thing that I havent been rejected yet, but who knows..

Of the ppl who have been rejected/accepted/waitlisted.. anyone care to share stats?

My Stats:

3.2 UGPA
    3.0 Sci

30 P MCAT (10's across the board)

33. DrVanNostran

Resident [Any Field]

Hey, I will be calling them up on Monday to find out my status. Thanks for the info. My mdapps is my sig.

34. jmed6182

jmed6182 Junior Member

Pre-Medical
    just called and still can't get in touch with Karen...through e-mail, voice messages, and just calling I think I have about a 5% success rate of getting in contact with her

35. jmed6182

jmed6182 Junior Member

Pre-Medical
    well i called again and got through to find out my app. is still on hold....so anyway, I decided to accept and offer to attend the program at UNT and will withdraw my app from Cincy, so that is a little less competition for everyone...good luck to all

36. princessbbn

Pre-Medical
    by hold....do you mean waitlisted? do you think she would be able to give us approximations on what tier of the waitlist we are on....if we asked?

37. jmed6182

jmed6182 Junior Member

Pre-Medical
    i dont think waitlist...i think im still just under review

38. rkonmd

rkonmd New Member

so I called in yesterday and spoke with Karen, I was told that I am on hold and "second on the list in the next group of applicants"...considering that i only applied to two programs I am hoping for an acceptance from cincy

39. princessbbn

Pre-Medical
    i'm gonna retract this entire statement.....b'cuz when i spoke with her today, she said that there were still only 10 spots filled......:confused: i don't really know what to make of that.......(unless they didn't find a single qualified student in the batch they reviewed that afternoon i spoke with her last week)

40. indynshrty

indynshrty Member

Attending Physician
    Hey all-
    I'm also currently in UC's masters program.
    It's been pretty great so far - the classes are definitely a lot of work, but I feel that when I start med school in July, life will be a little bit easier then.
    There are plenty of opportunities, and while Cincinnati may not be the most exciting place in the world (I'm a Nati native), it's definitely a nice place to be.
    Good luck with the application process, and congrats on those who have gotten in! :)

41. DrVanNostran

Resident [Any Field]
    Bump any word for anyone yet?

How do they accept via email, snail, etc? Thanks!

42. indynshrty

indynshrty Member

Attending Physician
    They email. :) Good luck!

43. princessbbn

Pre-Medical
    Do you by any chance know if they are like EVMS and just put *everyone* not accepted thus far onto the waitlist (instead of outright rejecting them)? Also, if you *do* get waitlisted/rejected, do they e-mail you that notification too or is it purely through snail mail? Thanks! :)

44. DrVanNostran

Resident [Any Field]
    S*** I think I got rejected then. I called Ms. Coleman today and she told me that I would be recieving a letter. If I am not good enough for a SMP I think I am doomed for the carribean :(

45. princessbbn

Pre-Medical
    Dude I feel your pain.....:cry: Last week when I called she said I should be receiving news by the end of the week....to which I was :D :laugh: :D and then she mentioned to check my mailbox (physical).....to which I was like :confused: :scared: :confused: Well I never heard any news last week so I called her again today and she said I should hear by the end of the week.....and I asked if they have reviewed my file yet and she said YES.....which I'm gonna take as.....*yes we saw your subpar application....yes you will not be receiving an acceptance e-mail....yes you should seriously reconsider applying again this year if you can't even make it into an smp.....yes go and cry in your corner......yes check your physical mailbox when your done.....yes just camp in front of it until august so you can stop calling and bothering me* thank goodness i'm not feeling bitter about this whole process.....

46. DrVanNostran

Resident [Any Field]
    I feel your pain :( I have no idea what to expect, it most likely will be a rejection, but it could possibly be a hold/wait list letter like EVMS. I hate being in this gray area, we are almost good enough medical schools and SMPs but above average for other options. It leaves us with few options that we will be content with it.

I am very bitter myself. I couldnt attend MUO-Medical Sciences last fall because I was in Seattle for an internship, they said I could defer my acceptance. I called them about 8 months later, "Oh yeah, we forgot to tell you, we can't honor your deferal, please reapply." Now I have to effing clue on whats goin on with them either.

I wish people would be straight with us :mad:

47. princessbbn

Pre-Medical
    Man that totally sux about your deferral.....:( I have developed a serious illness during this entire process.....want to join me to my *checkers anonymous* meeting next week? they help you control your.....1) e-mail checking 2) mailbox checking 3) sdn checking 4) application status checking 5) gut checking (I blame med. schools and smps for this new addiction.....) :scared:

I was actually seriously considering MUO as well earlier this year.....but their tuition is SOOO expensive.....:eek:

48. DrVanNostran

Resident [Any Field]
    I know I was very very upset :(

I definitely want to attend your meeting, we are in a very selective yet horrible club of mild tempered rejects :oops: I can't stop checking my email, messages, the mailbox etc. I love when it turns around 5 oclock here, I know there is no sense in checking anything after that.

Yeah, MUO is reallly expensive. Have you looked into Tulane Pharmacology or UMDNJ? I am thinking about submitting those soon.

49. princessbbn

Pre-Medical
    thanx for the info....i'll look in to those programs too~ :)

i jus recalled your stats and it's really *really* a shame that you're not getting any acceptances....from my point of view.....it seems as though u'r overqualified for the positions....so unfair b'cuz it's almost like you're getting *punished* for doing well in school and having a better gpa than other applicants.....how many interviews did you get this year? maybe you can even make it without the smp~ :rolleyes:

50. rkonmd

rkonmd New Member

princessbbn, do you mind sharing your gpa/mcat? ...'drvannostrans' is on his mdapps and if he got anything but accepted...my stats won't cut it for the program, im trying to guage where I am on the 'rejection' list..:p

51. DrVanNostran

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey, I got 5 allo interviews this year and am on 3 WLs, so hopefully I won't need the SMP :luck: But, when I made a meeting with one of the schools I didn't get in, she said the 3.4 science hurt a little bit. So hopefully, a science SMP can put me over the hump

Hopefully we get this "letter" from Cinci this week.

52. DrVanNostran

Resident [Any Field]
    FYI, I didn't get anything in the mail today.