University of Colorado c/o 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Went to my mailbox and got my acceptance letter today. It was dated April 7th.

Members don't see this ad.

Power, are you planning on commuting for class? If you're moving, when?

mlenfsk, I have no problem waiting. Let me see what's being offered in June or July.

hey, I found out that I just need a refresher course, and my instructor can give it to me here before I leave. So go ahead and take the course, sorry I am lame lol. what's your email address though? I will email you if anything else comes up!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if anyone has any information on the apartments at Aero Flats near Stapleton. I went and saw them last weekend, but I am wondering if anyone has lived their or knows someone who does. Would you recommend them? These are the only apartments I found close by to UC Medical Center but in a better part of town. I want to be really close to school but still be safe.
I really liked 21 Ftizsimons but.... it is at least $100 to $200 dollars more a month than Aero Flats.
Also can anyone confirm the cost of parking at school. Someone at 21 Fitzsimons told me it is $76 a month. Is this true??

Any information would be appreciated.
Thanx

I was wondering if anyone has any information on the apartments at Aero Flats near Stapleton. I went and saw them last weekend, but I am wondering if anyone has lived their or knows someone who does. Would you recommend them? These are the only apartments I found close by to UC Medical Center but in a better part of town. I want to be really close to school but still be safe.
I really liked 21 Ftizsimons but.... it is at least $100 to $200 dollars more a month than Aero Flats.
Also can anyone confirm the cost of parking at school. Someone at 21 Fitzsimons told me it is $76 a month. Is this true??

Thanx

parking in the main student lot is $36 a month. if you want to park in the parking garage its more (not sure on price)

Thanx

I lived their in 2007. Pretty nice, small, decent area, good parking (although the gate does not always work). The walls are kind of thin. Get top floor if possible. Getting friends and groceries in and out is a pain. Overall, pretty good.

For those on the waitlist, did you also receive an e-mail about a summer Academic English course? I just received an e-mail today asking me to take it on their campus this summer, and that I may be admitted if I pass the class and if there is room in the incoming 2013 class. The last part scares me. It's almost like another requirement in addition to being waitlisted.

For those on the waitlist, did you also receive an e-mail about a summer Academic English course? I just received an e-mail today asking me to take it on their campus this summer, and that I may be admitted if I pass the class and if there is room in the incoming 2013 class. The last part scares me. It's almost like another requirement in addition to being waitlisted.

Vogelsang,
Were u already on the wait-listed before they sent you that English course email? I am on the wait-listed and also had a second phone interview but I did not receive any English course email.

Thanks

No, that was the only e-mail I've received. Base on those terms, it sounds like a waitlist since they are not actually offering me a position.

No, that was the only e-mail I've received. Base on those terms, it sounds like a waitlist since they are not actually offering me a position.

Vogelsang,

Are u planning to attend? Also, do you any other acceptance already?

ok, so i just received the big whit envelope....but in it was a letter telling me to take a summer English class?

Anybody know anybody/have any experiences with this summer program? Do they usually accept you if you complete it?

ok, so i just received the big whit envelope....but in it was a letter telling me to take a summer English class?

Anybody know anybody/have any experiences with this summer program? Do they usually accept you if you complete it?

Hi thesteve1,

Did the letter say that u will be accepted if u successfully complete the English summer course? If so, do you plan to attend it?

I assume that either English is not your first language or that your PCAT scores in English and your English grades are not good. My big white envelope didn't have that in it. Did it have the checklist of things they wanted, including a $1000 deposit? Because if so, you are accepted, you just need to do this class (I would think).

Members don't see this ad :)
I am completely confused, the letter is ambiguous as to the completion of the class means acceptance.

I'm going to absolutely take the class if it means acceptance! But the question is does it?!

And yes it does ask for $1000 deposit! But then contradicts by saying "if seats are available"

I am completely confused, the letter is ambiguous as to the completion of the class means acceptance.

I'm going to absolutely take the class if it means acceptance! But the question is does it?!

And yes it does ask for $1000 deposit! But then contradicts by saying "if seats are available"

Call them. They'll let you know what's up. I can't believe they would ask for a deposit if you didn't have a spot... would they?

Call them. They'll let you know what's up. I can't believe they would ask for a deposit if you didn't have a spot... would they?

All is good! Talked to a couple of people currently enrolled and the news is good, they said everybody that passes the summer class got in! Yay!! And I read the letter a little more in depth and the $1000 deposit is to reserve a seat! Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All is good! Talked to a couple of people currently enrolled and the news is good, they said everybody that passes the summer class got in! Yay!! And I read the letter a little more in depth and the $1000 deposit is to reserve a seat! Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to hear that! See you on campus then.

I'm confused why some people have to take an English class and some don't....

Hi everyone,

First, for those that have been accepted, Congratz! :thumbup: I also had a question for these people. The acceptance letter states that acceptance is contingent upon successful completion of a background check and pre-pharm course work. I have completed both, submitted all of my transcripts, and all of the forms that they requested with the $1000 deposit. Should we expect to hear back from them stating that everything is fine and now you are "really" accepted? Does anyone know what the next step is???

Hi everyone,

First, for those that have been accepted, Congratz! :thumbup: I also had a question for these people. The acceptance letter states that acceptance is contingent upon successful completion of a background check and pre-pharm course work. I have completed both, submitted all of my transcripts, and all of the forms that they requested with the $1000 deposit. Should we expect to hear back from them stating that everything is fine and now you are "really" accepted? Does anyone know what the next step is???

I'm pretty sure someone said that we should expect to receive something in June. You can absolutely call the office to find out if they have everything they need. They are really nice!

Hi everyone,

I would only expect to hear from them if something went wrong. They had to contact me regarding the background check because I'm currently in Canada. Get your pre-reqs done, and if there's anything you need to divulge for your background check, do it now. Otherwise, relax & enjoy the summer until you get the June package.

Thanks for the help Pharmtechgirl26 and Storm90! See you both in Aug! :D

Anyone else looking for a roommate?

I'm hoping to share a two bedroom apartment with someone that is relatively close to campus. I have a few places in mind but I am also open to suggestions. Prefer a female roomie, but a guy is okay too. Send me a message if you are interested.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for housing near campus? Or possibly even websites that list available apartments near campus? I am looking for a one bedroom apartment (preferably located on/next to campus because I won't have a car :() that is on the nicer side. My budget is up to $1000/month for rent (but i would rather spend less if possible). I appreciate any suggestions and "thank you" in advance! :)

A little far from campus but for those that like fairly priced absolute luxury withing maybe 15 mins to campus driving, check out a complex called "The breakers" in aurora.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for housing near campus? Or possibly even websites that list available apartments near campus? I am looking for a one bedroom apartment (preferably located on/next to campus because I won't have a car :() that is on the nicer side. My budget is up to $1000/month for rent (but i would rather spend less if possible). I appreciate any suggestions and "thank you" in advance! :)

I know there are a few places just west of campus, but they're not going to be the safest places to live. If you do a google search for apartments in the area, you'll see a few apartment places right there on Peoria. If you don't have a car, those or the apartments they showed you on the campus tour (just north of campus) might be your best bet. Although the new ones on the north side are more expensive, it might be worth it over the ones on Peoria, just for safety/building quality reasons.

For those of you who will have a car or would be willing to take the bus - I would try to avoid living due east or anywhere northeast of campus, as those neighborhoods would not be considered as safe as other options you have. South on I-225 at Mississippi or Iliff, would be places to look if you want to be as close to campus (5 to 10 minutes away) as possible, and still in a safe area. Also this area will probably be cheaper than the next two areas I am about to mention.

The Lowry (old air force base that has been redeveloped) or Stapleton (old airport area that has been redeveloped) areas are two other options (pricier, newer). They're a bit farther away than the other area I mentioned previously (~15 minutes in light traffic), but both are about equidistant from campus, traffic-wise. Both neighborhoods have bus stops that could get you to campus with 1 or 2 route changes maximum. Lowry is close to the Cherry Creek area (Cherry Creek has a mall, shops, is a bit hoity-toity...kind of like our version of Beverly Hills haha), and Lowry is close to the neighborhood where I grew up. Lots of couples in their late 20's and early 30's with young kids in the neighborhoods. Definitely a safe environment. A grocery store and shops are easily accessible. Also, I believe you get a 24-hour fitness membership with your tuition, and there is a GREAT 24-hour fitness gym at Lowry...really large and super nice. So that might be worth considering. Lowry is also re-doing their golf course which I think should be completed this summer, if you're into golf.

Stapleton is closer to I-70, which means it has a straighter shot to the airport, into downtown, and into the mountains or up to Boulder, if you wanted to do some sight-seeing or if you're into skiing/boarding. I don't know as much about the Stapleton neighborhoods because I don't drive through them as much, but they are definitely more diverse than Lowry. Also close to a grocery store, lots of shops, as well as a newer outdoor shopping center (called Northfield) which is just on the other side of I-70. If you'd like more diversity, I'd suggest Stapleton over Lowry. The Mississippi & I-225 area I mentioned initially will also be reasonably diverse.

So those are the places you might want to check out. I know of a few CU students that live on Lowry as well as a few others that live at Stapleton. Not sure exactly what you can expect price-wise at either location. The places at Stapleton and Lowry are more expensive than the other neighborhood (Mississippi/Iliff & I-225 area), but they're also newer places. If you can find a roommate, that would obviously help too, and might be nice if you live farther from campus.

I'd PM some current students as well to see what they think about where they've decided to live and what they do on Friday and Saturday nights.

Hope this helps, and don't hesitate to ask if you have more questions!

Here's a few links that might be of interest.

Stapleton area:

http://discover.stapletondenver.com/

http://www.northfieldstapleton.com/

Lowry area:

http://www.lowry.org/

Cherry Creek area (SUPER expensive to live in, but nice to visit sometimes):

http://www.shopcherrycreek.com/

http://www.cherrycreeknorth.com/

Downtown:

(very popular area - "LoDo") http://www.lodo.org/

http://www.downtowndenver.com/

http://www.denvercenter.org/Home.aspx

I asked a friend of mine who grew up near the school and he suggested anywhere on Peoria between Mississippi and Illiff. He says there's an apartment complex across the street from Overland High School that's pretty nice, but he didn't know the name. I would look up that school on google maps and then find apartments nearby... apparently as you go south from the school the neighborhoods get better. Right by the school is a little sketchy.

Thanks for all the helpful advice everyone!!! :)

I don't mind taking public transportation so I might look into Breakers, Lowry, or Stapleton. The main reason that I wanted to live near campus was in anticipation of a snow storm or bad weather. I still want to be able to make it to classes if they aren't cancelled due to bad weather. I'm from California and have never had to drive through snow, let alone live in it. Just a little worried about the weather conditions and how difficult it will be to get to and from school. Any insight? :confused:

Thanks for all the helpful advice everyone!!! :)

I don't mind taking public transportation so I might look into Breakers, Lowry, or Stapleton. The main reason that I wanted to live near campus was in anticipation of a snow storm or bad weather. I still want to be able to make it to classes if they aren't cancelled due to bad weather. I'm from California and have never had to drive through snow, let alone live in it. Just a little worried about the weather conditions and how difficult it will be to get to and from school. Any insight? :confused:

You know, it's so hit or miss. We could go a whole year without any snow on a school day. Or we could have every storm hit on Monday morning. Or some mix. We have pretty good plows; the snow will usually just slow you down. You could also find someone with a big 4 x 4 to carpool with. For instance, I'm coming from the far west side of town. I'd be happy to pick you up on snow days, if you're on my way.

21 Fitzsimons is right next door. It is pricey, but for their larger 1 bedroom unit I got a deal for $920 a month (the market price is $1025). Oh and this does not include utilities. Basically they offer a deal for a lower rent if you put down the $99 deposit within 24 hours of viewing the apartments, your put on waiting list till 60 day before you move in. At that time you'll be contacted to let you know which units are available. I visited their 2 weeks ago and they were only offering that for the larger 1Bd unit, so I don't know if they will have similar deals. Also if it helps it comes with full size washer and dryer in the unit. Utilities are all separate per unit, so you only pay for what you use.
The Stapleton area was nice, but their is no way anyone will get apartments near the shopping, they are starting at $1000 and up. Aero flats was a really nice apartment complex, they offered a rate of around $698 a month for a 1bd. The A/C though was an old wall unit in the living area, their was a fan in the bedroom but saw no A/C their though. The heating is electric. And I believe the trash and water are through the apartment (a company they use) and they pool the whole complex and then calculate your contribution each month. You would have to take a bus or something, and it's technically not in stapleton but across the street (closer to colfax). Out of all the apartments away from the medical center this one has the most direct bus route. This place is 3.3 miles away from the medical center.
The other apartment complex I saw while I was their was Grand Lowry Lofts in Lowry. They wanted $846 for what they called a one bedroom (had no door so in my book thats a studio). They also gave this awful speech about since I would be a full time student that puts me in their highest rate bracket. It was not worth the price. Their was a funky smell about the building and all the pipes are exposed so when anyone uses the water, you will hear it. But the shopping over their was near by, also their were more apartment complexes near by. The Lowry area is a little over 4 miles away.
Another apartment complex that is owned by the same people as Aero Flats is called Copper Flats, they have the same look, and I believe even cheaper. They are to the southeast of the medical center, in Aurora and right next to the major highway, so I really don't know how safe they are. These are 1.2 miles away.
In the end I ended up going with 21 Fitzsimons, the convenience and safety, offered by them is worth a lot to me (single female). Also parking is free at the apartments (not so at the medical center) and their is no commute (so I'll end up saving at least one extra fill-up on my gas tank a month). The fact that no one's lived in them also doesn't suck :D.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm a Denver resident already but I was thinking about going to the housing fair on Friday. If you're not able to make it but want some information, PM me and I'll try to get what I can for you. Let me know what you're looking for so I can be as helpful as possible!

Just want to say congratulations to you all who got accepted!! CU is my top choice and I'm applying this year, wishing, hoping, crossing my fingers that I get in.

Congratulations to everyone who got accepted and will be attending CU SOP next year! I was in your position last year. I remember the excitement. That being said, my name is Mary Armstrong and I'm getting ready to be a P2 student at the school of pharmacy.

I remember how confusing it was to try and find a place from out of town and wanted to tell you about the place I am currently living at. I am at Copper Flats which is only a block away from campus. I just signed my lease for another year. I really like it because it's close enough to walk or ride a bike (which a lot of us do). The whole complex went through a complete remodeling and it looks really nice. There are washer/dryers in unit, pool, small fitness room, and movie theatre. It is a gated community and close to the police station and school. I have never felt unsafe in this area being a single woman. There are many students that live here and in the mornings you see a line of kids walking to school. I chose this place not only for the location but compared to a lot of other places, it had a lot more space and only two levels which made carrying books or groceries easier than the other multilevel apartments.

If anyone has specific questions about this place let me know. The walls are thin but I have lived at many apartments and seem to have the same problem everywhere. I pay $879 for 2 bedrooms. Not sure what the current rate is because the specials vary by month but you can always give them a call (303-731-6560). After all the discounts, the first couple of months were quite cheap which helped me out especially after paying the price to move out here. The staff and maintainance crew on site are always very friendly and helpful.

Congratulations again, and please contact me if you have any questions.

Mary

Thanks again for all the help with the housing info everyone. :thumbup:

Since we are all getting ready for the school year I was wondering if anyone has heard anything regarding their financial aid? I turned in my FAFSA a long time ago with the MPN (master promissory note) and direct loan quiz. I also turned in my financial aid paperwork requested by CU SOP via fax about 2 weeks ago. Does anyone know approximately how long it takes for them to let us know how much we will be receiving? I want to get all of my housing issues situated but I can't until I know my budget.

Thanks again for all the help with the housing info everyone. :thumbup:

Since we are all getting ready for the school year I was wondering if anyone has heard anything regarding their financial aid? I turned in my FAFSA a long time ago with the MPN (master promissory note) and direct loan quiz. I also turned in my financial aid paperwork requested by CU SOP via fax about 2 weeks ago. Does anyone know approximately how long it takes for them to let us know how much we will be receiving? I want to get all of my housing issues situated but I can't until I know my budget.

Call the Financial Aid department. Several other students who faxed their forms had them disappear. They should have it by now.

Hey KY,

I've been talking to the financial aid office lately. I had to get a letter from them letting my apartment complex I'm leasing with know that students will get a living expense of around $1620 a month for 9 months. This seems to be pretty much the standard they have for living expenses for each student package (this does not include books, supplies, travel, and health insurance).
I noticed a while back when people quote the out-of-state tuition, it actually includes their health insurance (last year's tuition was about 30K, but with health insurance it comes to around 32K).
This site: http://www.cudenver.edu/Admissions/.../CostofAttendance/Pages/CostofAttendance.aspx

Will tell you the cost of attendance. It will also mention the amount that you will be given for living expenses (i.e 1620). You will probably have to stretch that though from 9 months to 12 months, which means it will come out to be $1215 a month.
Earlier this week I got an email from the financial aid office letting me know that packages should be sent in the mail around June 1st. I believe this is the earliest that they start sending them.
If you want you can call their office and check to make sure their isn't anything else they need and that your application is complete for them.
Hope this helps

Oh and we also have a thread started in the pharmacy class threads section.

Thanks for the help Charfdorn and Phoenix585. I'm going to send an email to the financial aid office to see if my app is complete and for any other info we may need. I'll let you guys know if I find out anything new.

Hey KY,

I've been talking to the financial aid office lately. I had to get a letter from them letting my apartment complex I'm leasing with know that students will get a living expense of around $1620 a month for 9 months. This seems to be pretty much the standard they have for living expenses for each student package (this does not include books, supplies, travel, and health insurance).
I noticed a while back when people quote the out-of-state tuition, it actually includes their health insurance (last year's tuition was about 30K, but with health insurance it comes to around 32K).
This site: http://www.cudenver.edu/Admissions/.../CostofAttendance/Pages/CostofAttendance.aspx

Will tell you the cost of attendance. It will also mention the amount that you will be given for living expenses (i.e 1620). You will probably have to stretch that though from 9 months to 12 months, which means it will come out to be $1215 a month.
Earlier this week I got an email from the financial aid office letting me know that packages should be sent in the mail around June 1st. I believe this is the earliest that they start sending them.
If you want you can call their office and check to make sure their isn't anything else they need and that your application is complete for them.
Hope this helps

Oh and we also have a thread started in the pharmacy class threads section.

Does every school's financial aid package allow for living expenses? Is $1600 the standard amount? I am really worried about how I will take care of living expenses.

Yes, I believe most financial aid packages includes approximate living expenses (they calculate what they expect your expenses will be though). So, 1600 may not be the general amount. I'm sure it differs by school, especially according to where the school is located. For example in Hawaii, your living expenses would be a lot higher.
If your really worried then I would suggest calling the financial aid office of the school that you expect to be attending and ask them about what their standard package is.
Your package will also differ based you where you will live. If you live on campus housing and/or live with your parents (i.e. no expected rent and utilities to pay for each month). The amount may be lower. I believe if you live with your parents at UC you get $880 a month, instead of 1620.

Is anyone attending the summer English class looking for a roommate? :whistle:

Hi everyone. Congratulations again to those who got in. I'm on the waiting list and just wondering if you guys think Colorado will start taking people from the waitlist after the summer English course (my understanding is that those who pass that course are automatically in)? That's means they have priority over those waitlisted w/out needing that course....I'm worried. :(

I think the waiting list will start to move after the first deadline passes (no idea when though :(. That was my experience last year with a few schools. I moved 20 spots in one month, then didn't move for 2.5 months, so you never know what could happen.

Hi! Does anyone know if they've accepted anyone off the waitlist yet? I'm still hoping to get in. Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

Hi! Does anyone know if they've accepted anyone off the waitlist yet? I'm still hoping to get in. Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

I know of at least one who has been accepted off the wait list. I have no idea what this means for you, though. It's pretty late in the game to be holding your breath, but I don't think it's impossible, either.

For those of you who are incoming P1s, I thought I'd post a link to the class schedules:

http://www.uchsc.edu/sop/pharmd/5.Class_Schedules.html

Not quite sure if they send those out to you all over the summer or if it's in the packet closer to the start of fall semester.. Anyhow, hope everyone is enjoying their summer!

If you are on the wait list.. Don't give up hope. There have been students that got in off the waiting list just a couple of weeks before the start of orientation. I'm not saying there's a high probability- just that there is a possibility. Good luck.

I was accepted from the waitlist to uco yesterday... the problem is that I was accepted a while back to OU (university of oklahoma). I've already started the ball rolling towards OU, but now that I've been accepted to uco, I'm not sure what to do....any help??? Is UCO a better clinical school? does anyone know? Thoughts?

Also, if anyone on here currently attends the UCo pharmacy program, I would LOVE to talk to a student...find out some pros and cons, ask some questions, could someone please contact me? my email addy is [email protected]

thanks!!

I was accepted from the waitlist to uco yesterday... the problem is that I was accepted a while back to OU (university of oklahoma). I've already started the ball rolling towards OU, but now that I've been accepted to uco, I'm not sure what to do....any help??? Is UCO a better clinical school? does anyone know? Thoughts?

Congrats on getting in from the waitlist to UCO! How did they notify you? I'm hoping I get a call/email from them too!

I got a call from Kimberly yesterday....i didnt expect to get in and i had made plans to re apply so i would hang in there... i have until 7th of Aug to confirm. Its a yes :) so im sure if they will pull you from the waitlist it will be pretty soon!! watch out for that 303 phonecall.
goodluck!!!!