University of Colorado C/O 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

themule

Donkey Punch Central
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So not sure why there isn't a thread for this yet but "HELLS YEAH" I just got in. Here's to the class of 2013. Post em if you've got them.

Members don't see this ad.

Bump. Come on people post up.

I'll see you in the fall.

Members don't see this ad :)
Me too! Good work on taking the initiative on the class thread. The thought crossed my mind, but I wanted to wait until there were plenty of acceptances.
Can't wait! What are people doing until August?

I'll be there too, provided that my in-state status and background check come through OK. I've been waiting for three weeks now for certiphi to finish my background check so hopefully they get on it. Looking forward to next fall!

wasn't that background check process funny? I was scrolling down.. kept saying "searched this database...........OK" searched criminal database xyz..........OK" etc.

OK here's a scary story for you. A friend runs an insurance office. He'd heard a customer who was pulled over in a vehicle in which illicit materials (of the smokeable type) were present. Rather than determine which passenger was the owner of said illicit materials, ALL PASSENGERS were cited for posession. I'd hate to have to explain that one in this process!

congrats to all!

wasn't that background check process funny? I was scrolling down.. kept saying "searched this database...........OK" searched criminal database xyz..........OK" etc.

OK here's a scary story for you. A friend runs an insurance office. He'd heard a customer who was pulled over in a vehicle in which illicit materials (of the smokeable type) were present. Rather than determine which passenger was the owner of said illicit materials, ALL PASSENGERS were cited for posession. I'd hate to have to explain that one in this process!

congrats to all!

That's a bummer! All and all fairly painless though (if there is nothing to explain)

It is snowing in Vail right now (where I am spending my final months of freedom), and I am going to go ski.

Hi, I'm new, not accepted yet, but I have an interview in March. I'm from California and I'm thinking about coming back home one weekend a month if I get into UCD; especially the first year. Does anybody know what the schedule is like? Is there anyway to leave one friday a month open?

Anyway, congratulations on getting into this awesome school, and maybe I'll be able to join you soon!

Bump. This is weak sauce post em up people.

I may be attending. I'm waiting to hear back regarding whether I will be considered a resident or not. $300,000 in loans would be very difficult to stomach for the privilege of going back to my home state.

I'll definitely end up in the mountain west after (or during) residency though. They can only keep me away for so long!

See you August 10!! Woo-hoo!!!

You guys planning on going to the open house on April 24th? I'm set on my decision to go to CU, and have no other options anyways, but am still definitely planning on going just because I'm excited to start.

You guys planning on going to the open house on April 24th? I'm set on my decision to go to CU, and have no other options anyways, but am still definitely planning on going just because I'm excited to start.

I was wondering if anyone else who is definitely going to attend was going to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if anyone else who is definitely going to attend was going to go.

Unless something else comes up (unlikely) I will be there. What the heck, I'm local(ish). I'm excited to meet people, too.

Interviewed today and had an e-mail waiting for me when I got home letting me know that I had been accepted! I am so excited CU is my first choice. I look forward to meeting all of you April 24th or August 10th!

Any tips? I have an interview next Friday (the last day of interviews I hear). Did you tell them they were the first choice at the interview? Are you out of state like me by any chance?

i will be at the open house, too.

cu is pretty much my top choice since i want to stay in colorado...so i've really already made up my mind!!

Hey all I found a Facebook page for incoming CU students. So if you are sure you will be there post up.

Link

Previously the VA was actually set to complete the new VA hospital by 2012. It really makes sense to have all of the previous hospitals from the old 9th ave campus on the AMC as well. I might be mistaken but I think that the VA will be going in somewhere on the current golf course which will be going away at some point in the future.

Previously the VA was actually set to complete the new VA hospital by 2012. It really makes sense to have all of the previous hospitals from the old 9th ave campus on the AMC as well. I might be mistaken but I think that the VA will be going in somewhere on the current golf course which will be going away at some point in the future.

The gold course is on the N side of the campus. According to the map, the VA is going in on the E side bordering Colfax.

Anybody know the link to the "accepted students website" that I just got an email about? They seem to have left it out. . .

About this website with the scholarship info. . . does anyone else think it is pretty short notice? April 1 is pretty close. What's with that?

Anybody know the link to the "accepted students website" that I just got an email about? They seem to have left it out. . .

Yeah. I noticed that as well.

About this website with the scholarship info. . . does anyone else think it is pretty short notice? April 1 is pretty close. What's with that?
:shrug:

I found it. It's in the acceptance email.

The gold course is on the N side of the campus. According to the map, the VA is going in on the E side bordering Colfax.

I stand corrected I didn't look at the Denver Post article. I'm still pretty sure that the golf course is going away though.

It is on your acceptance e-mail an in the letter.

so what exactly goes on during the second look day? I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth flying back to CO to attend. It would be nice to meet some future classmates, but given that I've already made my decision I might have to pull a Jay Cutler and skip it...

so what exactly goes on during the second look day? I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth flying back to CO to attend. It would be nice to meet some future classmates, but given that I've already made my decision I might have to pull a Jay Cutler and skip it...

Sean Spellman said:
Open House, planned for all accepted applicants is scheduled for April 24th. While it is optional, we hope that you will plan to attend. Our intent is to create sessions that will be highly interactive, informative and fun. An agenda for the day’s activities will be sent out in a few weeks.

"A few weeks" is seemingly very relative. I got that email over 6 weeks ago with nothing as of yet to followup on.

3/19/09 Email said:
Information on Open House should be posted to the accepted student website sometime next week.

Apparently I've got a reading comprehension problem. Thanks for keeping me squared away.

"A few weeks" is seemingly very relative. I got that email over 6 weeks ago with nothing as of yet to followup on.

I believe it's scheduled for Friday April 24, but don't recall seeing anything from the school on this just rechecked the accepted students' web site and could not find anything there.. I may have seen the date on an SDN post! Seems a few things may have slipped a bit when Sean left for another department, now it's just 2 people in admissions, I believe Willa & the Dean/Director Admissions.

Financial Aid has been really good, Mercedes I think took a call recently and seemed to really know her stuff. They keep advising to prepare to be poor for the next 4+ years.

As a side note, I've not found anything on advice from CO students on attending class versus.. not attending class (self study). Anyone heard about this from current CO students? thx. I'd never really considered this until my physics 2 class a while ago, when I got nothing from attending the class unless I'd closely read all the material..and if I'd done that, I didn't learn anything new from attending the class.

From what I understand you should either attend class or watch the recording.

Just listened to an NPR report about vitamin D deficiency with a professor from University of Colorado --check it out

Just listened to an NPR report about vitamin D deficiency with a professor from University of Colorado --check it out

That's two NPR refs so far in this thread!

We are going to get along fine. Just fine.

Congrats everyone on getting accepted!!! I am currently a 3rd year student at CU counting down the last 4 weeks until 4th year.

I noticed someone had a question about attending class. The great thing about the first two years is that you have a ton of freedom. You have to go to small groups, preceptor, foundations stuff, etc., but class is your decision. If it works for you then great! I went to most for the first 6 months and then studied during class time and found that I enjoyed life so much more with no change in performance. There are definitely some awesome lecturers that you will want to attend, but if you find yourself being blank on the last 4 hrs of your life while keeping a seat warm in a lecture hall, then...

By the way - from what I hear they are videotaping the lectures now and posting them online. Several MS2s say it is great.

Enjoy your time before med school and relax....

Let me know if you have any specific questions...

Let me know if you have any specific questions...

I'm thinking about getting a new laptop. I was wondering how much of the supporting lecture material you get is on power point slides. If the answer is "a lot," I'm considering a tablet.

Also, is there a bar near campus that you guys go to?

It is short notice. Funnily enough I randomly found the scholarships in February and left messages for the person I was directed to... no response until that email. Oh well, we just have to do it!

This leaves me with two concerns about choosing Colorado: is this their normal communication style (I'm thinking about the delayed secondary and, unfortunately, disorganized interview day) and what is the actual cost of attending if there is little possibility for scholarship and grants?

Can anyone who goes there provide insight?

I'm thinking about getting a new laptop. I was wondering how much of the supporting lecture material you get is on power point slides. If the answer is "a lot," I'm considering a tablet.

Bump. This is an important question. I know the college inn was big by the old campus. . . any place out by the new one?

Oh, and you should get a mac. :D

Bump. This is an important question. I know the college inn was big by the old campus. . . any place out by the new one?

Oh, and you should get a mac. :D

The College Inn still rocks. And as long as you know how to work a touch tone phone then there is no reason to get a Mac. :)

Lecture material comes with Powerpoint for almost all lectures. This is in addition to printed and posted Word or .pdf files. There is a plethera of material. I took my laptop to school everyday and that worked for me. One sutdent in our class used a tablet. He seemed happy with it, but I've never used one. Whatever you go with, I would pay the extra $ and get the extended warranty. It has paid off for me twice.

College Inn near the old campus is probably still the main place.

Is there a recommended set of PC (or mac) standards? Not seeing one anywhere I can locate on the web site, and am not sure if my labtop would work OK or if a newer model should be purchased.. wonder what one costs now? (mine is 3-4 yrs old) I used to always check out cnet.com and go with the "last year model" that they highly recommended. Also are PDAs now recommended, or required? Would a smartphone work if so?

any more details other than the date (Fri, 04/24)? in the past is this a one-day affair that starts in the morning? afternoon? any info?

Is there a recommended set of PC (or mac) standards? Not seeing one anywhere I can locate on the web site, and am not sure if my labtop would work OK or if a newer model should be purchased.. wonder what one costs now? (mine is 3-4 yrs old) I used to always check out cnet.com and go with the "last year model" that they highly recommended. Also are PDAs now recommended, or required? Would a smartphone work if so?

I would think you only need the most basic set up. . . internet for online material, pdf reader, word, power point. . . all pretty standard things. They probably don't list standards because it isn't required to have one. It is up to you how much you want to use your comp to study.
Although, if you do buy a new comp, you should make it a mac, despite what zenlike or the mule might tell you.

two things: there will be a housing fair on the day of the open house. next: did anyone get any emails about rural track or global health track? Have they gone out yet? I'm still waiting to hear...

I don't know what the official computer recommendation is. But I bet you're fine with what you have for now. If you're not looking for an excuse to buy something new, then just wait. I use my laptop for word processing, internet, and ppt/pdf files. Nothing fancy. People use Macs and PCs.

I don't think PDAs are required. And if they say they are, you can definitely get by without one. Some people love their PDA and use it a lot. I'm near the end of 3rd year and I've never needed one. If I had one, I could definitely use it. But there's usually a computer nearby and I keep a small pocket pharm book in my pocket that's lighter, smaller, and cheaper than a PDA. A smartphone would also be fine, but not necessary.