1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

University of Colorado Info

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by hermey_12, Nov 27, 2005.

1. hermey_12

hermey_12 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Does anyone know much about the University of Colorado School of Dentistry? What do you think of Denver?

When I interviewed, I thoroughly enjoyed the new Lazzara Dental Center but didn't get a chance to see much of anything else in the area. Also, it being a relatively young school, it doesn't seem too many people know a lot about it. Any information you could provide me on the school would be greatly appreciated. Good luck everyone!

2. afrek

afrek Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Hey there, the school isn't THAT young (1973), they just built a new facility and recently moved there. The land around the new building is currently under development, but as of now there isn't much around. Denver itself is a great place to live, very sunny and lots of young active people to make friends with. However, if you don't know most of this already, my guess is that you live out of state. If you do and aren't a resident of a WICHE state (google it) you will not get in. To my knowledge, they haven't admitted an out of stater for years. If you want to give it a shot, go for it...but it's likely to be a waste of time and money unless you are a celebrity or something. Sorry to be a bummer, but there are a lot of people who apply to CU that aren't aware of how State of Colorado and WICHE-state dependent the admissions decision is. Good luck!

3. Mackerel

Mackerel Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I live one main block away from the campus. The new Fitzsimons campus is very beautiful, but I assume you will want to live farther west towards Denver. The surrounding area consists of motels and some prostitution. (I'm not bashing motels my friend's family owns one there). I'm sure property values will rise soon though, kicking out residents and local busniesses. :rolleyes: I think most students live near the old campus which has some bars, lots of trees, lots of young professionals. A ten minute shuttle ride connects the two.
    In regards to eats, at the new campus a Chipolte is opening up there. Otherwise learn spanish and enjoy the diverse hole in the wall resturants there. Feel free to ask anymore questions!

4. LNinlove

LNinlove Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Hey, I don't live in Denver but I do live in Colorado Springs. I visited the old campus and thought it was a little "dark"...down in the basement. I haven't been to the new campus, but would very much like to visit it. My dentist (he graduated from CU) said he has heard that it is state of the art. Hopefully he will get to go see it and then pass some info on to me....?

Anyways, Aurora isn't the NICEST area in Colorado by any means. There are plenty of run down hotels and businesses out there, but also the nice thing is that it isn't overcome with bigger buildings in the area. My wife and I have friends who have lived in Aurora for 20 years...and they love it! They also mentioned a rumor that the (I don't know exactly how much) run-down areas on colfax around the school are going to be leveled and redeveloped. I can't remember if they said that it was going to be done by the school or a private entity.

At any rate, imo Colorado is the most beautiful state to live in...that being said from a Kansas native haha. Anyways, Denver has a lot of things to do all year around, not like we will have all that much time though. It is also about an hour away from a few ski resorts.

Like it was mentioned above, CU is in the WICHE program which kinda kills non-WICHE-non-residents.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

5. EmanUT

EmanUT Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I live in a WICHE state and applied to 5 schools that participate in the program. Do you know if we have to notify them that we are applying as a WICHE resident or do they automatically put you into that category once they see your state of residence? Thanks!