University of Colorado OR Midwestern CCP ??????? PLZ HELP!!!!!!

Sep 2, 2009
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Hi guys. So I have narrowed my choices down to two schools: University of Colorado and Midwestern CCP. I have heard both bad/good things about Midwestern CCP, but haven't heard too much feedback regarding the University of Colorado.

Can anyone share experiences or input regarding either school??? I would really appreciate any replies to help me with this decision.

P.S. I had a previous post of Midwestern CPG vs. CCP --- chose to decline CPG since I have already put down a deposit for CCP earlier in the cycle. Just wanted more input regarding Univ. of Colorado vs. CCP now.

Thank you all!!

rxlea

Almost a unicorn
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Colorado = more research opportunities (from what I hear). Isn't it cheaper to go there anyway? They are both four years and colorado is an excellent school. But then again, I don't know much about CCP.

socalpharm86

7+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2009
Status
Hi guys. So I have narrowed my choices down to two schools: University of Colorado and Midwestern CCP. I have heard both bad/good things about Midwestern CCP, but haven't heard too much feedback regarding the University of Colorado.

Can anyone share experiences or input regarding either school??? I would really appreciate any replies to help me with this decision.

P.S. I had a previous post of Midwestern CPG vs. CCP --- chose to decline CPG since I have already put down a deposit for CCP earlier in the cycle. Just wanted more input regarding Univ. of Colorado vs. CCP now.

Thank you all!!
You could have transferred the deposit from CCP to CPG

Sep 2, 2009
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
You could have transferred the deposit from CCP to CPG
Oh? I didn't know. Nonetheless that would have not changed my decision of CPG vs. CCP. If I had to choose between the two it would be CCP > CPG. My friend at CPG is really miserable, he told me to choose Chicago -- more to do etc.

Anyhow - I digress.
Back to Colorado vs. CCP! =]

Sep 2, 2009
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Colorado = more research opportunities (from what I hear). Isn't it cheaper to go there anyway? They are both four years and colorado is an excellent school. But then again, I don't know much about CCP.
Yes, Colorado will be the cheaper between the two. I was really impressed by the school when I visited for my interview - esp. the facilities - brand new. I think they also said that they were #3 in ranking for research.

I'm still not sure what specific field of pharmacy that I would like to pursue. Therefore, I want to go to a school that has more opportunities available and have heard that Midwestern doesn't have as many (ie. most people go into retail).

If I would want to apply for residencies, would it be better to attend the Univ. of Colorado??? Exactly how much of a part does the school's reputation play when applying for such programs?

--- Also how is living in both areas?? I've heard that Chicago has both extremes and has the terrible winters. Has anyone lived in Denver before? Would like to hear how you like living there (ie. weather, things to do).

Feb 24, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Where are you gonna live once you're finished with school? Pick the school that is close to where you want to live. If you're not gonna live in either Denver or Chicago afterward, then you should pick Colorado. It's cheaper and their name is more well recognized compare to CCP.

rxlea

Almost a unicorn
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Chicago in winter sux! I'd rather be in Minnesota in the winter.

Feb 18, 2010
Status
Colorado seems to be the favorite, but what would you guys got rejected from Colorado and accepted into Midwestern CCP?

Dealing with rejection from some high ranked state schools right now, and accepted into my lower picks. I'm interested in doing a residency or research, though I'm not ruling out retail.

dangster

7+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2010
Status
Pharmacist
i was super impressed with colorado and its facilities.
however, what i didn't like about the school was that there was not any on-campus housing and the area around the school seemed really shady.

Sep 2, 2009
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Colorado seems to be the favorite, but what would you guys got rejected from Colorado and accepted into Midwestern CCP?

Dealing with rejection from some high ranked state schools right now, and accepted into my lower picks. I'm interested in doing a residency or research, though I'm not ruling out retail.
Yea dealing with rejection really sucks =/ I was hoping to get into a CA school because I want to practice there after I graduate (waitlisted Touro, UOP, USC).

Do any of you know if it will be hard for me to come back to CA to practice after I graduate from pharmacy school? I take it if I would like to come back to CA I should probably go with Colorado too since it's more recognized.

Feb 18, 2010
Status
Well, you'll have to study for the CA exam by yourself, but you might be able to do your rotations in CA.

What are you trying to do in CA? If you're looking to do retail, I'm sure your choice between the two won't matter too much, Midwestern has been around 20 years which is a long time for pharmacy. I would probably pick Colorado though.

rxlea

Almost a unicorn
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Pick the state school FTW

masafi

5+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2009
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Colorado for sure!
-Better ranked
-state school- easy residency status- cheaper tuition!
-great campus
-good weather
-skiing closeby!!

Sep 2, 2009
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Colorado for sure!
-Better ranked
-state school- easy residency status- cheaper tuition!
-great campus
-good weather
-skiing closeby!!
Wow such good feedback for UC Denver. Masafi have you lived in Colorado before?? How difficult would it be for someone coming from CA to deal with snow (haven't had to deal with snow on a daily basis).

Feb 21, 2010
Status
Pharmacy Student
Wow such good feedback for UC Denver. Masafi have you lived in Colorado before?? How difficult would it be for someone coming from CA to deal with snow (haven't had to deal with snow on a daily basis).
Colorado is home of the Gods. Snow happens and you will learn to love it. I have lived both coasts and many places in between and nothing is better than the Rocky Mountains. Just NEVER drive the first day it snows. It takes a day for most to adjust speeds, etc. Make sure you are on a bus line and you will live to ski.

Sep 2, 2009
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Colorado is home of the Gods. Snow happens and you will learn to love it. I have lived both coasts and many places in between and nothing is better than the Rocky Mountains. Just NEVER drive the first day it snows. It takes a day for most to adjust speeds, etc. Make sure you are on a bus line and you will live to ski.
Hahaha sounds good! Yea I'm thinking about getting a 4-wheel drive as well to better deal w/ the snow. I'm not really too much of a skiier/snowboarder, but I think I might get into it.

Curious what else is there to do in Denver? I have only heard about the hiking/skiing and such. Not that I will have all the free time in the world during pharmacy school =p