University of Colorado vs Northern Arizona University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

azrunnergirl

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any insight on the CU program in comparison to the NAU Flagstaff program? I've gotten into both and would love some perspective in helping me make the proper choice. I would be NAU instate for the entire program and CU out of state for the first year and in-state the second and third year. The financial difference is $31000 (NAU being cheaper).

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have any insight on the CU program in comparison to the NAU Flagstaff program? I've gotten into both and would love some perspective in helping me make the proper choice. I would be NAU instate for the entire program and CU out of state for the first year and in-state the second and third year. The financial difference is $31000 (NAU being cheaper).

I would go to NAU! That is a lot of money and it is after tax money also. If you need to take out loans definitely take the cheaper route. There could also be a lot of interest to pay back on a loan. It is the same degree and NAU is a great school. Flagstaff is also a beautiful area. But if money isn't an issue then I would go wherever you feel you would be most successful. I don't know much about CU. I will be attending Fresno State.

Another way to look at it is CU or NAU with 30k+ in extra money to spend on living expenses, new vehicle, travel, etc. And depending on where you live maybe a down payment on a house?

While I have no direct insight into either of those programs, I am hoping my input can be of some use to you.

A $31,000 difference is a colossal amount of money, and unless money is absolutely no object to you, it seems like there really isn't a choice to make: Attend NAU. The licensure rate of both programs on the first attempt looks to be >97% (CU's website uses bar graphs, interestingly enough, perhaps to avoid posting the actual number), which is a testament to how well both of the programs prepare their students.

Depending on where you live, that kind of money can give you almost 3 years of free apartment rent, be close to a good down payment on a home, or almost give you two 2017 Ford Focuses. It's also important to remember that it's only $31,000 at first; via loans, this amount will likely grow to an even larger number. Again, this is just one person's opinion that comes from someone who truly does not know about either of these programs. While both appear to be surefire launchpads into the PT profession based on previous classes' licensure rates, one does it for $31,000 less than the other.

One additional note: One of the most common regrets from college graduates is how they wish they made wiser financial decisions when they were students (i.e. less loans, attending the cheaper school, going to community college first, etc.). To reiterate: Unless money does not matter to you, NAU seems like the only choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied and visited both these schools and know a ton of amazing PTs who have gone through NAU's program, as well as several students who are currently in the program. Both are great programs. With a 30k difference in tuition, this would be a no-brainer for me. Go to NAU! Remember you're paying pretty high interest plus origination fees right off the bat for loans, so 30k will be a lot more than that by the time you graduate. If you for some reason really prefer CU, do all the math and figure out how much more you'd actually be in debt before making a final decision. Congrats on getting in to two super competitive programs!

Let us know what you end up deciding!

I have a bit more insight in this area because I got into NAU Flagstaff and learned a ton about people that got into both or why the choose CU Denver over NAU.

Similarities:

*Amazing faculty—NAU Flagstaff has most of the core faculty and CU Denver is just one program with a large roster of core faculty
*Higher cost of living compared to some
*Lots of outdoors things to do
*High first time NPTE pass rates
*Both programs prepare and produce amazing generalists

Differences
*NAU PT classes are in an older building
*CU's building is more modernized
*NAU has slightly higher first time pass rates, but at that's also dependent on students.
*NAU is more neurological in focus
*CU has a few more experts in different specialized fields
*NAU is slightly shorter in duration (2.5 years) and where the difference in cost comes in

Overall, choose the program you will be receive the best education for yourself/be happiest at :) Also, consider where you want to spend the next ~three years of your life and not let it all come down to money. Especially if you have a supportive partner or are single in a good spot financially.

It would be cool to be classmates, but best of luck either way!

Last edited:
Based off of the price difference alone I would go to NAU.
I'm not one to worry about the rank of the program or anything, I look for accreditation and whether or not the program has decent stats on board exams. Both of these programs are solid on that point, so save the money. $31,000 is significant.