university of connecticut program??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gogo110182

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone knows anything about U conn Anesthesia program? good? bad?? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Uconn is great. The anesthesia program is really decent. Nice happy residents, nice attendings, reasonable work hours, and great case diversity. Run by a huge private group. Rotate at 3 hospitals, two have tons of big cases. Tons of cardiac. Good teaching from attendings. Nice town, not a big city feel. Any specific questions?

heard all the nice things, but why the unfilled spots for the last several years???

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats because the programs finds candidates from the scramble more attractive than the candidates from the match. These are the people who dont match into optho, rads, derm etc but have super stellar credentials.

Thats because the programs finds candidates from the scramble more attractive than the candidates from the match. These are the people who dont match into optho, rads, derm etc but have super stellar credentials.

That may be true to some extent, but I don't believe they start out the season with the intent of not filling in order to pick from the scramble... I think this just happens because they would have to interview a ton of people to fill just because of location and lack of reputation... And i also think they don't sell themselves well during interview season.

UCONN has 8 spots per year. They offered pre matches all throughout the interview season, and had a final quota of 5 spots in the match. I know few people who were offered pre match contracts back in October. Also their chairman stated that they are able to get better candidates through the scramble as compared to through the match, which is plausible considering that theirs is a low key program, and candidates that are scrambling are often exceptional. Although I do not think any program starts off a season with intent not to fill, I think UCONN starts off their season knowing that it is going to be OK not to fill.

TThats because the programs finds candidates from the scramble more attractive than the candidates from the match..

Is this really true? I figured people that scramble are less desirable. I mean, even if their stats are better, wouldn't a PD rather have a person that is committed to the field of anesthesia rather than someone that is choosing it because they didn't get into what they really wanted?

maybe it's just me...

Is this really true? I figured people that scramble are less desirable. I mean, even if their stats are better, wouldn't a PD rather have a person that is committed to the field of anesthesia rather than someone that is choosing it because they didn't get into what they really wanted?

maybe it's just me...

Exactly my thoughts.

I am not a PD but if I were one, I would rather take someone who is fully committed to anesthesia than someone who, albeit great credentials, does not want to be an anesthesiologist and has his heart set on something else.

I've been asked about UConn a coupla times via PM so here's my overall thoughts on the program in a nutshell

Strengths - If you want to go into PP, you WILL get to know what its like to be fast, efficient, and competent. We do plenty of difficult cases including advanced hearts, livers, and anything else you can think of. We have an extremely strong regional program where you learn to do catheters and US blocks in addition to nerve stimulation. Pedi experience is excellent as we are associated w/CCMC, one of 2 pedi hospitals in the state (Yale being the other). CRNAs help out doing most of the B+B cases and no fellows so residents always get their pick of cases. Small residency program so you're never competing w/other residents for the good cases. Moonlighting shifts are also available to earn some extra $$.

Weaknesses - Research, if you're interested in doing research head elsewhere. This is a clinical program and you will be trained to be clinically competant. Homework - once a month you've gotta write up an article for journal club and do some questions for evening of didactics. They only take a couple of hours but it's still annoying to do homework in residency. Journal club consists of too much statistics and not enough time going over research articles. Hartford itself can be weakness. It's not Boston or NYC and doesn't have that kind of night life, and like the rest of the north east the weather sucks. On the plus side, you can certainly afford to buy a house or find a place to live on a residents salary.

Overall - hrs are average 7-5 m-f 4-5 calls/month, reasonably happy residents, defiantly feels like I'm getting solid training

Reactions: 1 user