University of Denver Graduate School of Professional Psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Powerball

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received a phone acceptance earlier this week from the University of Denver's GSPP Clinical Psych PsyD program. I'm strongly considering this offer over a few others (one PhD, several PsyDs). I have been very impressed with Denver from the start considering their strong interdisciplinary program, the opportunity to specialize in several different areas (psychodynamic, intersubjectivity, sports, organization, et cetera), well-established clinical training opportunities at their clinic and within Denver, as well as their high APA acceptance rates (this year ~95%).

This perception of mine was strengthened at their interview day while interacting with students and faculty. I felt there was a very strong community atmosphere there with students genuinely enjoying their experiences and growth. Additionally, it seemed like they all enjoyed a very good quality of life, with a high emphasis on self-care and enjoying their lives outside of grad school. At least that's the vibe I got compared to other programs at which I interviewed. Maybe it's the Midwest lifestyle, maybe it's the mountain air...I don't know.

I wanted to see if anyone could share their own thoughts about the University of Denver. I would greatly appreciate any insights out there. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Very highly regarded program. I know a few therapists who graduated from there and have had their choice of career options, inclusing research. I say go for it!

Very highly regarded program. I know a few therapists who graduated from there and have had their choice of career options, inclusing research. I say go for it!

Thanks for the information. Good to know. If anyone else has opinions to share and the time to reply, please do so or feel free to PM me. I'd definitely appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a Denver native, though I didn't consider DU because I did not have a research match there. Overall, speaking of the University as a whole it is a well-respected school in Denver and I believe that its reputation is strengthening nationally. It is a religious school, as you probably know (Methodist like Duke I believe) but it isn't oppresive and may not even be noticable. Beautiful campus, Denver is one of the best places on earth to live (honestly, it is...weather is much better than people think) and there are tons of opportunities. The only problem is that Denver has a glut of Psychologists right now because everyone wants to be here.

I hope that helps some. Also, for anyone on the waitlist for Denver Clinical Psy.D I have a friend who will most likely be turning down an offer so don't lose hope!

Overall, speaking of the University as a whole it is a well-respected school in Denver and I believe that its reputation is strengthening nationally.

Beautiful campus, Denver is one of the best places on earth to live (honestly, it is...weather is much better than people think) and there are tons of opportunities. The only problem is that Denver has a glut of Psychologists right now because everyone wants to be here.

I was going to pretty much say this...especially about the glut, however i've been told you can still find your niche and do well. I'm strongly considering CO after licensure.

-t

Hey Powerball,

Congrats on your acceptances!
I too received an acceptance from University of Denver's Psy.D program this week and am also strongly considering it. I really don't have any new insights for you, but I completely agree with the observations you had about their program.
I too was very interested going into the interview (along with many others, considering the amount of applications they got this year!) and like you my impressions were definitely reinforced at the interview day. I liked that the faculty had diverse interests, which specifically offers me an opportunity to get exposure and mentorship in several of my interest areas. Also, a plus was that they offer more of a variety and more structured "specialty focus areas" than some other psy.d programs I looked at. I liked that Psy.D. students could not only take elective courses from GSPP's other degree programs within the department, such as the forensic and international disaster psychology MA programs, but courses from other departments for no additional cost. I agree too that the students and faculty seemed to have good relationships with each other and the quality of life in Denver is a big draw.

The school itself did mention in its literature about the job market being saturated because it's such a desirable area to live in, which would make it harder to settle their permanetly, but for training purposes having a lot psychologists around the community could be really advantageous.

Overall, my biggest apprehension about the program is the tuition. It is considerably higher than the other Psy.D. programs I'm considering and I'm curious as to how current students justified it. What's your take on this?

Hey Powerball,

Congrats on your acceptances!
I too received an acceptance from University of Denver's Psy.D program this week and am also strongly considering it. I really don't have any new insights for you, but I completely agree with the observations you had about their program.
I too was very interested going into the interview (along with many others, considering the amount of applications they got this year!) and like you my impressions were definitely reinforced at the interview day. I liked that the faculty had diverse interests, which specifically offers me an opportunity to get exposure and mentorship in several of my interest areas. Also, a plus was that they offer more of a variety and more structured "specialty focus areas" than some other psy.d programs I looked at. I liked that Psy.D. students could not only take elective courses from GSPP's other degree programs within the department, such as the forensic and international disaster psychology MA programs, but courses from other departments for no additional cost. I agree too that the students and faculty seemed to have good relationships with each other and the quality of life in Denver is a big draw.

The school itself did mention in its literature about the job market being saturated because it's such a desirable area to live in, which would make it harder to settle their permanetly, but for training purposes having a lot psychologists around the community could be really advantageous.

Overall, my biggest apprehension about the program is the tuition. It is considerably higher than the other Psy.D. programs I'm considering and I'm curious as to how current students justified it. What's your take on this?

Congrats on the acceptances. I'm really glad to hear others have had similar positive experiences at Denver. I was worried that I was looking at the program with rose-colored lenses. While I still may be doing that, it's helpful to get other data points. Denver really does a great job of selling the place.

As for the job market, I doubt I will stay in Denver although I am open for it. Who knows what happens in 3 years of placements? I'd be open to doing an internship in other areas of the country. Overall, I'm most attracted to the clinical training and breadth of program of the Denver Psyd, augmented by the specialty focus areas.

The debt it would require to attend is staggering, especially when realizing that FAFSA uses gorilla math to compute your expected contribution, at least in year one. I'm not ridiculously scared of going into debt, although that's maybe a bit of rationalization. It's A LOT of money, but over time, I have faith I can pay it back. I figure if I like Denver the best, then I should go to the place that I most want to be. I feel that I've worked really hard to give myself options and for me, my main priority is finding the place with the best match for clinical training. And with that as my goal, I keep coming back to Denver.

That said, the other program I'm considering is a PhD, so the funding is obviously better. It's a little bit of comparing apples to oranges...which makes picking a school a little more difficult. The programs are just not very similar (# years, cost, PhD program has a specific program orientation, location, et cetera). I'm glad to have this problem, but am just looking for any additional information that might further tip the scales.

And good vibes to those waiting to hear.

Hey all! First off - congrats on getting in!!! I've only heard good things about Denver's program and I plan on applying this fall (currently in an MA program). Would any of you be willing to share your stats? (you can send a PM if you want or if you don't want to say, that's ok). Thanks!

Now that's a pretty good birthday present! Congrats SteelMariposa!

Okay, I just got my acceptance letter! ON MY BIRTHDAY TOO!!! I am so ridiculously ecstatic and happy. I am about 90% sure I will be accepting this offer, so if any of you other acceptees plan on attending, drop me a note!!!

Congratulations. That's great news. Happy Birthday indeed.

I also got into the GSPP-Univ of Denver Psy.D. program. I was so excited because that was my number one school. I also applied to a few others including the PGSP-Stanford Consortium which was pending APA accreditation. I definitely wanted to go to a school with that accreditation and now it looks like Stanford will be getting accredited. Therefore I now have a tough decision to make. Do I go to Denver? Do I go to Stanford? I can't seem to make up my mind for the life of me. Any suggestions??

Thanks!! :)

I was really excited to read all of the posts with good feedback on DU. I have been considering the program and am still hesitant because of the PsyD/Ph.D. thing - do I want to teach in academia? do I not? do I care about the "H"? do I not? it seems more accepted in the west - what about back east?

I would really, really love it if you guys that are going would keep in touch with me if possible and perhaps help me in coming to check out the school sometime this fall. I went last summer and met the receptionist but no one was on campus and it was hard to get a sense.

Here's my story - I moved to Colorado 1 year ago - my husband was from here originally. We loved it immediately. I am an attorney (patents and licensing), 31, have been practicing law going on 7 years. I was accepted and turned down great offer at Univ. of Florida last year in health psych. My husband and I went to Gainesville and although I loved the facilities and the people, I couldn't live there.

This year, I wanted to take a year off to let my husband get a chance to start his business before moving again, so I only applied to a few schools. I was waitlisted at 2 and rejected at VCU's PsyD. program. I didn't apply to DU or UCB's Ph.D. program (joke - no way could I hit their numbers) or DU's PsyD.

So, I am applying next year and would love people's thoughts on (1) DU's PsyD program and your feeling on the PsyD in general, (2) my chances - I have 1250 GRE, 6 W, 4.0 psych, 3.8 undergrad, 3.5 law (top 10 school) and what you think that I should to help myself, and (3) your thoughts on the glut and the cost.

Also, do you get the sense that DU is non-traditional friendly. Fortunately, I don't look any different than I did in college, but I have been through quite a bit more, and I am wondering if I will fit in with my 22 year old colleagues.

Thanks for any thoughts. Congratulations to you all and welcome to Colorado - your'e gonna love it here! I am happy to give tips on best hiking, food, etc. - although I live in Boulder.

:)

For those of you who are in the midst of the application process for the PsyD program at DU-- and those of you who have been accepted there-- I would really appreciate any thoughts/experiences you would be willing to share.

I am trying to find out how I stack up compared to other applicants (hopefully those who have gotten in).

Thanks for your help everyone!