University of Detroit Mercy Clinical Psych PhD program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lannie1976

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know about the reputation of UDM clinical psych Ph.D program in terms of research and potential academic employment?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know about the reputation of UDM clinical psych Ph.D program in terms of research and potential academic employment?

I am a Michigan native and did my undergrad in psych at the University of Michigan-Flint. That being said, through my experiences I have gotten a general feel of the psychology graduate programs here in Michigan and, although I don't have any specific examples to provide, UDM does seem to have a good reputation as a quality program--at least from my experiences from interacting with faculty, mental health workers, etc. There is only a handful of doctoral psychology programs in MI and they tend to either have a rather poor or strong reputation. UDM does seem to have a positive reputation. Sorry I cannot provide specifics, but I hope this helps!

I was offered a spot there when I applied a few years back but decided to go else where. I can only speak what I gathered from the interview. They have fairly strong psychodynamic orientation but they do teach CBT and other orientations. The research side to me appeared to be a little lacking when speaking to other students. However the students did state that if you wanted to do research, the faculty was very supportive. I think the lack of research stems from a lot of the faculty being tenured and UD-Mercy not really being a research institution. Overall, I believe it has a good reputation. Sorry, I couldn't be more helpful.

Ive heard they provide excellent training in psychodynamic theory and practice.