University of Detroit Mercy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dds85

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted to UDM, and was wondering if anyone knows a nice area around the new campus to rent an apartment because I'm not familiar with the area !

:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

windsor is a great area if you don;t mind the drive across the border. it's a 5 - 40 min drive depending on the traffic at the border but distance wise its very close. or outside detroit...i don't know of a nice area within walking distance from the new school though.

I doubt if you will find a safe location withing walking distance. But if you don't mind a bit of travel you will find good appartments north of Detroit. For example in Ferndale. The further north you go the better the location.
Good luck! see you in fall!

Members don't see this ad :)
It really depends on how close you want to be to school. Try Ferndale, Royal Oak, and parts of Dearborn (closest of the three). As another poster indicated, it isn't likely that you want to be within walking distance of the school.

How is the area where the new school is located? I haven't had a chance to visit, but is it in downtown Detroit?

How is the area where the new school is located? I haven't had a chance to visit, but is it in downtown Detroit?

The area surrounding the school is a little better than the old location (in my opinion), and is closer to downtown - which is a plus.

The area surrounding the school is a little better than the old location (in my opinion), and is closer to downtown - which is a plus.

That's good to know, since the previous area was mostly residential...so downtown should be good....but hopefully not too unsafe.

Don't get me wrong, there are still residential properties in the area, but not as many. There are also much better restaurants near the new location. The cool areas of downtown are about 2 miles from the school.

It really depends on how close you want to be to school. Try Ferndale, Royal Oak, and parts of Dearborn (closest of the three). As another poster indicated, it isn't likely that you want to be within walking distance of the school.

Do you know how much rent is in those areas for a 1 bedroom?

i'm not really looking for a place within a walking distance. 30-40 min drive wouldn't be bad

DDS- Can i ask when u got accepted? I've been waiting for a response from UofD for awhile and they let me kno that I should hear from them after Feb 29th (my interview was at the end of Nov.)- Just wanna kno if they've gone through another round of ppl or not. Thanks.

DDS- Can i ask when u got accepted? I've been waiting for a response from UofD for awhile and they let me kno that I should hear from them after Feb 29th (my interview was at the end of Nov.)- Just wanna kno if they've gone through another round of ppl or not. Thanks.

I had the interview in feb and got accepted after 2 days. Good luck. I know their class is not full yet. they are up to 90 and the professor who interviewed me said they could go up to 100 b/c they have 100 stations in the new building !

Did anyone get anything regarding financial aid from UDM? Besides the usual sheet that shows tuition/fees/etc?

Did anyone get anything regarding financial aid from UDM? Besides the usual sheet that shows tuition/fees/etc?

Yeah, I already got my award letter and everything. Just need to decide howmuch of a loan I want to take out and mail it back to them.

Hey. Anyone here know when UDMercy start's reveiwing Applications and inviting for Interveiws? I am still awaiting for my App to get there, so I'm hoping i'm not late!

I haven't heard anything from them so far, and I applied early this summer.

For what it's worth, I placed a call to UDM last week to ensure they had received all my application materials. Like some of you, I was a little concerned as I hadn't heard anything from them. Since no one answered the phone, I ended up leaving a message with my name, AADSAS #, phone number, and a request for a call back. Someone called me from UDM yesterday, assured me my app. was complete, and informed me that they wouldn't even begin looking at applications until after the 24th of this month. I wouldn't expect to hear anything from them before then. I was really surprised. Not only did they call me back, but the lady I spoke with was really nice and accommodating, something understandably uncommon amongst admissions personnel. Hope this helps...

REH

I doubt if you will find a safe location withing walking distance. But if you don't mind a bit of travel you will find good appartments north of Detroit. For example in Ferndale. The further north you go the better the location.
Good luck! see you in fall!

I don't know about apartments, but theres a really nice subdivision about 100 meters to the north west across from the golf course.