University of Findlay or Ohio Northern? Also.. Calling all Pharm Techs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorateofDave

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all SDNers!! First of all I wanted to introduce myself, my name is Dave and I want to be a pharmacist :rolleyes:

I am about to be a HS senior and I was looking into Ohio Northern and the University of Findlay- just wanted to know any opinions about the two schools and any other advice any one would like to give me would be great!

I also wanted to ask any pharm techs out there how they landed there position, studied for the test, and where they then applied. Thanks everyone!:p

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all SDNers!! First of all I wanted to introduce myself, my name is Dave and I want to be a pharmacist :rolleyes:

I am about to be a HS senior and I was looking into Ohio Northern and the University of Findlay- just wanted to know any opinions about the two schools and any other advice any one would like to give me would be great!

I also wanted to ask any pharm techs out there how they landed there position, studied for the test, and where they then applied. Thanks everyone!:p

Between those two ONU. ONU is an established school with a good network of pharmacists. But it's pricey and Ada, OH is pretty boring. Findlay is a new school, yadda, yadda, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft. poll.

Why not Toledo or Ohio State? Two good, public schools with a program history.

Reactions: 1 user
Dave,

My name is Kristen. I am a P2 at The University of Findlay. I also looked at Ohio Northern University. I am from Indiana so for starters, while both are cold, Findlay is warmer. Also, I believe that the food at Findlay is better than that of Ohio Northern. You're going to live there for five years so you need to like your life in whatever city you choose. Findlay is also a bigger city than Ada so there is more to do around the city as well as on the campus itself. If you went to Ohio Northern you would have to make the 20-30 minute drive to Findlay for what you wanted anyway. You might as well save the gas money. My biggest deciding factors were that I received more money from Findlay than from ONU and that I felt wanted at Findlay whereas at ONU you're just another candidate. I know a few people who transferred to Findlay from ONU for that very reason. These are my general thoughts on the two campuses. As for the pharm tech question, I actually just started a few days ago at a local place. I knew someone that worked there and they told me I could apply. However, Indiana at least changed their licensure procedure last summer so I am currently working at the cash register until my license is ready. You have to send in a fee, copy of your diploma, and a letter from the pharmacist if you are under the age of 18 along with your application for the license. If you don't already have a test underway, as in my case, you are considered a tech-in-training and have one year to complete the course before you get your pharm tech license. I also applied at CVS last year and this and didn't get a single call. Lots of people say this is because the company is so large and the application is online that you get lost in the system and may never even get reviewed. Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you guys for all your answers! Sorry I haven't been able to respond, and I plan on visiting both Findlay and Ohio Northern, but veering slightly towards Findlay because I liked their campus when I drove by it after my visit to Bowling Green.

if u are looking at 0+6 schools, Butler U at Indianapolis IN has a long history as well
campus is beautiful!

Thank you guys for all your answers! Sorry I haven't been able to respond, and I plan on visiting both Findlay and Ohio Northern, but veering slightly towards Findlay because I liked their campus when I drove by it after my visit to Bowling Green.

Hello,

I'm in the same position you were in last year. What school did you select? Why and are you happy with your selection?

Thank you.

Dave,

My name is Kristen. I am a P2 at The University of Findlay. I also looked at Ohio Northern University. I am from Indiana so for starters, while both are cold, Findlay is warmer. Also, I believe that the food at Findlay is better than that of Ohio Northern. You're going to live there for five years so you need to like your life in whatever city you choose. Findlay is also a bigger city than Ada so there is more to do around the city as well as on the campus itself. If you went to Ohio Northern you would have to make the 20-30 minute drive to Findlay for what you wanted anyway. You might as well save the gas money. My biggest deciding factors were that I received more money from Findlay than from ONU and that I felt wanted at Findlay whereas at ONU you're just another candidate. I know a few people who transferred to Findlay from ONU for that very reason. These are my general thoughts on the two campuses. As for the pharm tech question, I actually just started a few days ago at a local place. I knew someone that worked there and they told me I could apply. However, Indiana at least changed their licensure procedure last summer so I am currently working at the cash register until my license is ready. You have to send in a fee, copy of your diploma, and a letter from the pharmacist if you are under the age of 18 along with your application for the license. If you don't already have a test underway, as in my case, you are considered a tech-in-training and have one year to complete the course before you get your pharm tech license. I also applied at CVS last year and this and didn't get a single call. Lots of people say this is because the company is so large and the application is online that you get lost in the system and may never even get reviewed. Hope this helps!

Hello,

I'm a junior in HS now, I'm looking into ONU and Findlay's pharmacy program and I wonder how happy are you with your choice? Any advise, input you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Michelle.

The answer is ONU.

It's not even up for debate.

-- An Ohio RPh

Thank you so much awval999. I was looking at http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...-schools/top-health-schools/pharmacy-rankings , ONU ranks #69 and Findlay is listed as "Rank Not Published", and from this forum I found out that Findlay's pharmacy program is new (2006). From these 2 facts, I can see why ONU might be a better choice. Any other reasons that you can provide? It appears that you're in Ohio and you're a pharmacist, do you have any advise for high school students like me who's thinking about going to pharmacy program?
Thanks again.
Michelle

I also agree, ONU. I have been working in pharmacy for a long time, and ONU has a large network of alumni who will help you find a job. Many employers recognize that Ohio Northern is a great university for graduating pharmacists. Also, I traveled around the country for interviews, and many of the faculty who I met went to ONU. You will not find that network with Findlay. I would look into Toledo, ONU, Ohio State, and Cincinnati only.

I also agree, ONU. I have been working in pharmacy for a long time, and ONU has a large network of alumni who will help you find a job. Many employers recognize that Ohio Northern is a great university for graduating pharmacists. Also, I traveled around the country for interviews, and many of the faculty who I met went to ONU. You will not find that network with Findlay. I would look into Toledo, ONU, Ohio State, and Cincinnati only.

Thank you Verte. I'm interested in ONU and Findlay since both of them have 6 years progam. I will check out Toledo, OSU and Cincinnati as you suggested.

Thank you
Michelle

Thank you Verte. I'm interested in ONU and Findlay since both of them have 6 years progam. I will check out Toledo, OSU and Cincinnati as you suggested.

Thank you
Michelle

Do not go to a new pharmacy school if you can help it. If you have the decision between ONU and Findlay, it is ONU hands down. The reputation of Findlay is not that good and ONU has a phenomenal reputation. But I think looking at the other established schools in Ohio is a decent option.

Do not go to a new pharmacy school if you can help it. If you have the decision between ONU and Findlay, it is ONU hands down. The reputation of Findlay is not that good and ONU has a phenomenal reputation. But I think looking at the other established schools in Ohio is a decent option.

Thank you for your advice, pharmgirl333.
Michelle

I am a high school senior and have just been admitted to Findlay school of pharmacy and am elated.. I am waitlisted at Michigan for undergrad. Depending on your stats, Findlay may be easier to get into becasue it is new and just received accreditation. It seems the people at Findlay really like the school. Toledo has a great program but you have to be a UT student to apply which gives you an advantage once you are there. It is a 4 year program and you apply your sophomore year. Did you apply?

After reading through these previous posts, it seems as if the facts may be a bit out of date.

Let's start with Findlay facts:
  • 0+6 program - one of only two in the state. This has huge meaning, guaranteed graduation as long as you maintain your grades and complete requirements. Unlike Toledo, Cincinnati and OSU with a less than 20% acceptance rate into the professional program after pre-pharmacy. Not to mention, pre-pharmacy is not a degree it is a career path, you will have nothing to show for it after 2 years and if you're not careful about the classes you take, potentially nothing to show after 4 years except for a lot of debt
  • Tuition - much less in comparison to ONU; in addition; guaranteed scholarship money for having good grades and ACT score in high school. Yes, it is more pricey than any state school; however, when comparing 8 years of school to 6 years of school, at Findlay you gain 2 years of income and the ability to start your career at a younger age (doctor at the age of 23)
  • Small Class Size - at ONU, plan on being in a class with 140+ students during your professional years whereas at Findlay, each professional course will have a max of 25-35 students which makes a learning environment much more suitable for learning and raising questions
  • Accreditation - Findlay has received full accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE). Also, I sat in meetings with the Accreditation board this past year, and the board was wow'ed by what Findlay has to offer and the vast growth in faculty and facilities in such a short amount of time. This growth has been due to the investment of the University into the success of the College of Pharmacy.
  • Dual Degree - Findlay enables a student to perform a dual PharmD/MBA or PharmD/Health Informatics. These two additional degree programs are essential in this ever competitive market; making you a leader in technology and leadership in regards to business in addition to pharmacy.
  • Hub Site program - during the sixth year of school, students will spend 9 months on rotations at various pharmacy settings to get practical experience. ONU has a system based around nine 1-month rotations. This is no problem if you get all your rotations in the same location and have a place to stay; however, I know many students who have had to be in different states back-to-back multiple times during their nine months creating a very expensive, stressful and logistically challenged sixth year. In addition, students will spend their first few days of each month doing orientation work at each site, losing precious time to learn. Findlay has adopted a hub site formation. Through this idea, students will spend 6-9 months at one site doing a different rotation every month. Hospitals are embracing this set up due to the ability for a one-time orientation process and the ability to engage students in long-term research projects. Students can spend 1-3 months doign elective rotations practically anywhere in the World within any field of pharmacy. It is a logistically sound program; in addition, students practically get 6-9 months to interview at a Hospital of their choice increasing their chances of getting a job or residency in the future, which leads me to the next point...
  • Residency Success - post-graduation is a time when students become professionals and are able to follow any career path they so choose. The 2013 graduating class placed 12/17 students in a residency with most of these students getting their first choice. This is a 70% placement which nearly doubles the national average.
  • Research - Findlay has faculty with various backgrounds which gives students the ability to get involved with research in many different areas.

All of the above descriptions are 100% factual. Unlike the posts mentioned previously, which solely present peoples opinions and we all know what opinions are like...

In addition, ONU has ran themselves into a little trouble in the previous six months with many pharmacy faculty considering a change in occupation and many faculty interviewing at Findlay (fact presented from ONU pharmacy students).

I would agree with a few posts above if the current date was May 14th, 2009. However, Findlay has listened to their professors and students in addition to ACPE and have developed an excellent program with top notch professors (nearly half of whom are ONU grads and it sounds like this number may be increasing by next Fall).

Findlay is a great town with 10+ options for pharmacy students to gain experience through year-long and/or summer internships. Also, the town has many options for networking as a professional and growing into adulthood in one of northwest Ohio's greatest cities to live in.

Okay--- you obviously go to Findlay and are invested in that decision.

Again-- I am a current pharmacist, with true knowledge and experience at hospitals where these students are applying, etc.

=================================================

Most of what you say is true. There has been a defection of pharmacy professors to UF from ONU due to the fact that ONU subsidizes the education of every other student from their pharmacy program.

Findlay--- isn't the greatest town you made it out to be, it isn't a Columbus, Cinci or Cleveland but yes, it's better than Ada.

The Findlay grads I have personally met are fine, no complaints there.

The biggest issue I have with Findlay--- is that hub rotation. Yes, there are some benefits to it such as only one orientation and etc, the problem is, that rotations are of PARAMOUNT importance. If you get a hub at a so-so hospital you are at a huge disadvantage against a grad from OSU, UT, etc where their grads can have multiple rotations at different large hospitals. This is a big deal when an opening opens up. Oh hey, remember Bob from January, he was pretty good. Instead of throwing all your eggs in one basket--- at your one hub site.

Second largest issue is that there are very limited alumni from UF. Big deal when the director is from OSU, Cinci, UT, or ONU. Oh hey--- should I hire Jane from UF or Bob from UT? Oh wait--- I went to UT--- I'm going to hire my alumni. This is just a fact. My director went to UT. He hires UT grads. Fact. Same thing with a job opportunity. Especially in Ohio.

Pretty much Columbus is saturated with OSU grads, Cinci with UC grads and Cleveland up for grabs. Fact of the matter is that grads from UF, NEOuCOM and now Cedarville--- ughhhhh--- have to work twice as hard than grads of the Big 4 do. Because that very first line on your CV--- it says where you went to school. It's just the facts.

Yes, obviously I go to Findlay. And obviously, you are continuing the trend from above contributing your opinion instead of presenting facts to students looking to make a decision.

First, obviously Findlay is not Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati or Toledo; however, it is a wonderful town of 40,000 people with great places to hang out, golf and eat a great meal. Treated me very well for the last 5 years.

Appreciate the comments on the current Findlay grads. Here is my obvious disagreement with your statement, you say "here are the facts" in regards to Findlay grads having a hard time competing for jobs, where do you find these "facts", from your one hospital? Or even better from one region of the state? Lets take a look at the actual "facts", Findlay grads from 2013 doubled the national average in placement into a Residency and Findlay grads are having absolutely no issues finding jobs (take a look into our job placement within a few months of graduation). In addition, being a selected scholarship recipient for the United States Air Force HPSP, I am very proud to say Findlay was 3 for 3 in students who applied and received a scholarship this previous year. 3 out of nearly 20 students who received this in the country from a pool of close to 200 applicants. Direct facts from my recruiter, ONU students who received the award, nil. But wait there is more, the interviewer for our area, a 20+ year Veteran Pharmacist in the Air Force, also an ONU grad, had a huge role in the scoring of our application process and it looks like his unbiased opinion shines pretty bright. This is not a site to come and brag up our school, but yes I am very proud of the work our faculty and administration are doing to improve the program and I want to present "facts" for any high school student considering pharmacy.

Both schools are great, I'm absolutely sure of this, but I want the facts out there about Findlay and not the "rumors" of 2009, 2010. Let's catch up to modern day and reassess our progress. As for ANY student considering Pharmacy or any Doctorate or Master's degree; I highly recommend ensuring you are committed and willing to work hard to succeed and create a niche for yourself because the market is competitive, the school is pricey and the loans are grueling. However, anyone who is willing to work hard, make connections and many sacrifices will succeed with anything they do. Feel free to private message me if that is a function on here with any questions.

Thanks.

I didn't present my opinion--- I presented facts.

Fact 1: The total number of Findlay pharmacy alumni is obviously low. People like to hire from the same school they went to, or know people from that school.

Fact 2: A hub rotation is putting all your eggs in one basket. Some may like this, some may not. If you have a great hub then sure, it's good. If you have a crappy hub then it may suck.

Hi everyone, I stumbled across this thread and as a Findlay alumnus I want to share my experience. I was accepted by both ONU and Findlay, but I chose Findlay for several pertinent reasons despite the fact I have over a dozen relatives that are ONU grads. Many of those reasons are the same of dresbachk. Findlay makes you feel welcome and important. At ONU I felt like just another applicant and that I should just be happy that I was considered. In a word, snooty. Some call it "Harvard of the midwest" - really?

I have to admit that I struggled at the very end of my P5 year with personal issues, but with the help of the staff I was able to push through and graduate on time. On the other hand, one of my relatives at ONU struggled and failed a module by ONE POINT on a final of which she contested after reviewing her final since it may have been incorrectly scored. Her efforts were not successful and was required to repeat an entire year of school and pay another $40,000+. Thankfully she is stubborn and stayed with it because she is a successful pharmacist today. I am not so sure what I would have done in that situation, I am just glad I did not have to go through that.

As to the point awval999 made towards alumni hiring same alumni... That is not true everywhere, perhaps most all places - especially outside of Ohio (there are 49 other States out there you know). I am a nuclear pharmacist in Cleveland (the manager is from NY by the way... so ONU vs Findlay was not even an issue) and I believe that the extensive compounding exposure and the great nuclear rotation I had helped me out immensely. Plus Findlay is less expensive ($12,000 vs only $5,000 / year academic scholarship after the already lower tuition of Findlay is significant as I came from a lower middle class family).

I do have to agree somewhat with awval999 about the "hub site" model for rotations. I did not like the hospital that I spent 4 months at, however I was able to spend my 5 other rotations at other locations such as an Indian Health Service community hospital in Sacaton, AZ, a veterinary hospital rotation at North Carolina State University's College of Veterinary Medicine, and an independent nuclear pharmacy in Ohio which sparked my interest in the field.

So in conclusion, Findlay all the way.

Last edited:

My advice: Go to a 4 year school, apply after your 2nd year. There are a number of reasons why I say this:

-ONU and Findlay are no fun whatsoever compared to UC, Indiana, or Ohio State. Trust me, no matter how big of a bookworm you think you are, you will want to have fun and have a quality college experience. These places, in my opinion, do not provide that as well as the bigger shcools.
-Grads from those schools are typically less intelligent and less knowledgable about pharmacy than any other 2+4 or 4+4 school (no offense to those who graduated from these schools). I say this because once you get accepted to ONU for example, there's no real reason to give 100% for 6 years of school: you're already in, you just need to pass. At UC, I had to work HARD for 2 years to build a resume strong enough to get accepted, and this effort definitely paid off as far as my overall intelligence. Also, my work habits are now going to transfer over to pharmacy school.

However, Dave, I want to advise you to still apply to these schools. I applied to ONU as a senior, did not get accepted, but it was a great learning experience as far as the whole applying process...it helped me gain great experience in my interview, professionalism and essay writing abilities. I can give credit to my experience with applying to ONU as a reason why I got accepted to UC after 2 years.

Another piece of advice: The ONU interview was intimidating, in my opinion.

Aglo123: How do you know grads from 0+6 schools are less intelligent? Are you a professor that has taught at both types of schools?

I passed the NAPLEX (on the first try) with a score over 100. Findlay requires all pharmacy student to stay above a 3.0 GPA throughout pharmacy school, and let me tell you the classes were intense and filled with presentations on a regular basis since the class sizes were so small (about 25 students in either of the two classes, I graduated with 48). Many of my exams were entirely short answer or essay based. I would think that bigger schools could not do that kind of work just due to the number of students. My compounding professor would breath down my (any everyone else's) back to make sure my aseptic technique was spot on. This type of environment lead me to become a nuclear pharmacist (which required post-grad courses in nuclear physics!).

No offense, but you are grossly misinformed.

Reactions: 1 user