• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

University of Florida admission questions.

Brooksville

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2004
    Hey all, I got conditionally accepted to the University of Florida and had a few questions that maybe one of you could answer. Is the requirement of CPR certification new? Not that I care, I just found it interesting. Also in my admissions packet I received no information on financial aid. How did those that are in UF go about financial aid? And lastly but definitely not least, they said that I must maintain my present level of academics. I have a 3.7 GPA now, hypothetically, if I got all B's this semester would they care?

Glycerin

Commercially Unavailable
    Moderator Emeritus
    10+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Mar 18, 2004
    Squint your eyes and look closer.
    1. Pharmacist
      Brooksville said:
      Hey all, I got conditionally accepted to the University of Florida and had a few questions that maybe one of you could answer. Is the requirement of CPR certification new? Not that I care, I just found it interesting. Also in my admissions packet I received no information on financial aid. How did those that are in UF go about financial aid? And lastly but definitely not least, they said that I must maintain my present level of academics. I have a 3.7 GPA now, hypothetically, if I got all B's this semester would they care?

Congrats! Don't forget to post your acceptance in the Roll Call thread. :thumbup: I'm not sure of the answer to your CPR question. About financial aid, the first step is to fill out the FAFSA. Any other questions I am sure will be answered by the current UFers on the forum. :) I would contact the school (by e-mail, so you have something in writing) in regards to what they mean about maintaining your present level of academics.

About the Ads

Brooksville

10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Dec 6, 2004
        jemc2000 said:
        Congrats. Which campus?
        Well there in lies my other problem. The campus designation will be given out mid-March. I really want to go to the main campus of gainesville and I put this as my #1 choice, owever they said that your first choice is decided my a randomization process, and if you dont get that than you are shipped off to your second choice. So I guess I am just going to have to take my luck out for a spin and see if I can get the main campus.

dgroulx

Night Pharmacist
        10+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Jan 10, 2003
        Woodinville, Washington
        1. Pharmacist
          Congrats! The CPR requirement is not new. You must stay certified for all 4 years that you are in school. To get financial aid, fill out your online FAFSA. Choose UF as the school you will be attending. Before school starts, you will get financial aid details during orientation in Gainesville. You'll get a Gator Link ID, then you can do everything through ISIS on the UF web page.

No, you don't have to maintain a 3.7. When I got my conditional acceptance, I had a 4.0 but got a B in Organic II. They still let me in. :D
          If you get B's you will be fine.

Good luck on your campus choice and again - Congratulations.

Brooksville

10+ Year Member
          5+ Year Member
          Dec 6, 2004
            dgroulx said:
            Congrats! The CPR requirement is not new. You must stay certified for all 4 years that you are in school. To get financial aid, fill out your online FAFSA. Choose UF as the school you will be attending. Before school starts, you will get financial aid details during orientation in Gainesville. You'll get a Gator Link ID, then you can do everything through ISIS on the UF web page.

No, you don't have to maintain a 3.7. When I got my conditional acceptance, I had a 4.0 but got a B in Organic II. They still let me in. :D
            If you get B's you will be fine.

Good luck on your campus choice and again - Congratulations.

Which campus do you attend? Was it your first choice? What is a rough percentage of the amount of people that get to go to their number 1 campus choice?

Betty'sBeast

10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            Nov 24, 2004
            Sunny Florida
              Congratulations! My acceptance packet told me I would be going to the JAX campus, which was my first choice. I was also wondering about that "Level of academic performance" part too. Since I only have organic II left, I'm guessing as long as I pass it I'll be fine.

Brooksville

10+ Year Member
              5+ Year Member
              Dec 6, 2004
                Betty'sBeast said:
                Congratulations! My acceptance packet told me I would be going to the JAX campus, which was my first choice. I was also wondering about that "Level of academic performance" part too. Since I only have organic II left, I'm guessing as long as I pass it I'll be fine.
                Yeah I just got off the phone with someone who is a freshman at UF college of pharmacy and they said as long as you dont fail your classes. Congratulations as well!!!

Trancelucent1

Gator Girl :)
                7+ Year Member
                15+ Year Member
                Jan 26, 2004
                Orlando, FL
                1. Pharmacist
                  Hello and congrats!! As far as the campus selection goes, it is *completely* randomized. I thought for sure that I would get the main campus since I was accepted pretty early (late jan), but that's not how it works. I was so upset when I got Orlando although I did rank that campus 2nd. I was completely devastating feeling that I wouldn't do well and I feared that most of my classmates would be older/married meanwhile I was just 22. Now I absolutely love my campus!! We're such a close knit group and we spend tons of time outside of school together. There's also quite a mixed group of different ages. If you're worried about the quality of education, they told us that last year they figured out what the grades were on average for each campuses (ie if distance campuses did worse) and they found that orlando actually did higher last year. I think all of the campuses average about the same scores and I definately don't feel like I learn any less. If anything I'm more motivated b/c I have to watch the lectures on my own time. If you end up getting your second choice you should definately keep an open mind! Good luck!

imperial frog

Pharm.D
                  10+ Year Member
                  5+ Year Member
                  Apr 22, 2004
                  Outside your bedroom window.
                    Trancelucent1 said:
                    I was so upset when I got Orlando although I did rank that campus 2nd. I was completely devastating feeling that I wouldn't do well and I feared that most of my classmates would be older/married meanwhile I was just 22. Now I absolutely love my campus!! We're such a close knit group and we spend tons of time outside of school together.

Hey...what's wrong with older/married students? I've got a dodgeball with your name written on it waiting for you this Friday.

dgroulx

Night Pharmacist
                    10+ Year Member
                    15+ Year Member
                    Jan 10, 2003
                    Woodinville, Washington
                    1. Pharmacist
                      Brooksville said:
                      Which campus do you attend? Was it your first choice? What is a rough percentage of the amount of people that get to go to their number 1 campus choice?

I'm at St. Pete, which is quite a drive for me, but closer than the other campuses. It was my number one choice. Most of the younger students at my campus, chose Gainesville as number one and all the older students chose the site closest to their homes. Your chances will depend on how many people chose Gainesville, which will vary from year to year.

I like the smaller class size at the distance campuses. We have our own pharmacy building that just opened in January. They are building a UF dental building next door. The distance learning for their dental school will start next year.

Brooksville

10+ Year Member
                      5+ Year Member
                      Dec 6, 2004
                        Trancelucent1 said:
                        Hello and congrats!! As far as the campus selection goes, it is *completely* randomized. I thought for sure that I would get the main campus since I was accepted pretty early (late jan), but that's not how it works. I was so upset when I got Orlando although I did rank that campus 2nd. I was completely devastating feeling that I wouldn't do well and I feared that most of my classmates would be older/married meanwhile I was just 22. Now I absolutely love my campus!! We're such a close knit group and we spend tons of time outside of school together. There's also quite a mixed group of different ages. If you're worried about the quality of education, they told us that last year they figured out what the grades were on average for each campuses (ie if distance campuses did worse) and they found that orlando actually did higher last year. I think all of the campuses average about the same scores and I definately don't feel like I learn any less. If anything I'm more motivated b/c I have to watch the lectures on my own time. If you end up getting your second choice you should definately keep an open mind! Good luck!

I fear the satellite campus designation like a bad nightmare. However, St. Pete is my second choice and I guess if I have to go there than I have to go there...

Glycerin

Commercially Unavailable
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        10+ Year Member
                        15+ Year Member
                        Mar 18, 2004
                        Squint your eyes and look closer.
                        1. Pharmacist
                          Brooksville said:
                          I fear the satellite campus designation like a bad nightmare. However, St. Pete is my second choice and I guess I have to go there than I have to go there...

The lesson learned here is to not designate a campus in which you are not willing to attend.

imperial frog

Pharm.D
                          10+ Year Member
                          5+ Year Member
                          Apr 22, 2004
                          Outside your bedroom window.
                            Brooksville said:
                            They make designate a second campus. I am willing to attend, I'd just much rather go to the main campus.

You're not going to have much difficulty in getting a branch campus...I don't know anyone who requested one and then was sent to another one. For the Gainesville one, unless you're a UF student already living there, or have family or job ties there already, I wouldn't hold my hopes up...consider it an unexpected surprise if it happens.

One disadvantage to the Gainesville location is the rotations for clerkships in the third year. Hopefully they will have expanded enough by the time you get there, but right now we are told that the locations are spread pretty thin because of the number of students. The other locations have 2/3 less students so there's less competition for those spots.

About the Ads
                            This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                            7. This thread is locked.