University of Florida C/O 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i might have deleted it lol...do you know what else i can turn in to show them I have the insurance? Also thanks for the response!

Definitely check your email if you requested to receive your certificate by email. Also, you can go here http://www.hpso.com/my-account/ and select "Access My Account" and fill out your first and last name, SSN, DOB, and make a username and password (you don't need your policy number here). After you login, you can request that they send you a certificate by mail to the address you specified.

Now for my question. Does anybody have an updated financial record on ISIS under awards and disbursements? I am wondering why I haven't seen my FAFSA info show up yet (i'm still listed as an undergrad receiving bright futures money) and I'm not sure if it's my fault or if the pharmacy school hasn't sent Uncle Sam the budget yet.

Members don't see this ad.

You get an email from: [email protected]
Search your email for that address. It is titled: HPSO Welcomes You. Important Insurance Documents Enclosed!

You can forward this email or print it out as proof of your insurance. Ensure it includes your policy number.

BTW: Did anyone get updates to their financial aid for 09-10 on ISIS? I assume not since we are not registered for classes yet.

I'm pretty sure our ISIS info should update sooner than later. I have friends going to grad school at UF with their FAFSA already reflected on the website. At least I hope it's sooner than later so we have the chance to pick what aid we want or don't want. Maybe it won't update until all interviews are over.

Members don't see this ad :)
My ISIS info is updated but you wont get any info until a) Your conditional acceptance becomes an acceptance (all your paperwork is in) and b) UF gets their ducks in a row (last year it looked like people got info in late July/early August).

Packet is coming along quite well. I just need my PCP to fillout that titer form and pay for the insurance and backround check. :thumbup:

For old time's sake. By far the best and most successful (in terms of energy, participation and information-pack) thread for UF students. But they had the same issues we now contemplate and UFdlim's very own StringTheorist conceived it!

Aka The Manilla Envelope! (Sakigt briefly participated and I lurked :laugh:; nice that both of us are now UF students)

Oh! I will also add the School of Law Video. (lol)

Yea, I was rereading that thread and it appears since my EFC is $9xxx I wont be getting as much money as I hoped. :scared:

Yea, I was rereading that thread and it appears since my EFC is $9xxx I wont be getting as much money as I hoped. :scared:

I don't know what EFC stands for but at my interview, we were told a new law stipulates that if you have 90 credits or more, you qualify for maximum subsidized loans which is $33k. Somebody keep me honest.

Sent via iPhone.

EFC (expected family contribution) is only taken into consideration if you're accepted after 2 years undergrad, or accepted without graduating and have less than 90 hours. In that case, you are still 'undergrad' and will not receive any graduate loans. On the other hand, you are eligible for all your undergrad scholarships/loans.

If you have graduated or have over 90 hours in credit, you receive the entire cost of attendance in subsidized loans.

If you have graduated or have over 90 hours in credit, you receive the entire cost of attendance in subsidized loans.

That's what I thought I heart Dr. McKenzie say.

Btw, thx for clarifying EFC.

My husband and I are breathing a sigh of relief thanks to you. :laugh:

I know I could get loans regardless but I wanted to make sure they were subsidized. I have my bachelors degree so I should be good to go. The 26k and change is all I need.

I don't want to break the conversation, but I just got an interview invite for UF in June. I'm veeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy shocked to say the least. Wasn't expecting that, but I will take it.:) We'll see what happens.

I don't want to break the conversation, but I just got an interview invite for UF in June. I'm veeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy shocked to say the least. Wasn't expecting that, but I will take it.:) We'll see what happens.

I have and always said: IT IS NOT OVER TILL IT'S OVER. CONGRATS!

Time and time again, I said you would get in.

OH MY GOSH!!!!!! That is SO amazing!!! Congratulations!!! you will do great. is it for the orlando campus?? :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
So the alternate list is interviewed in gainesville, but couldn't you still be placed in orlando?

I could be, depending on the amount of spots available for that campus. It is my first choice.

BTW, Thanks GatorRomp and Emmiepharmd for the Congrats! :D

Congratulations!!!:highfive:

You have been kind, and helpful to everyone else all along! Now you get to reap what you have sown!! I'll be rooting for you...when is the interview?

You have been kind, and helpful to everyone else all along! Now you get to reap what you have sown!! I'll be rooting for you...when is the interview?

I agree! So much that I posted this some time ago...

Right now, I'm rooting for Pharmdapp87 (the one who started this whole thread and has given good advice to others). Pharmdapp87, I would really be so happy if you got into UF (because you want to go to the Orlando campus).

Congrats! Getting the interview is the hard part. :thumbup:

CONGRATULATIONS and GOOD LUCK!!! Hope you don't mind me asking but did they e-mail you or did you get the invite through the mail?

lol, ok so i'm out of state, just an fyi for everyone. If you're getting a denial letter-it comes by email and the subject is "denial letter" so you know right away.

It's ok though, i've gotten into my #1 school. Good luck to everyone.

Generally, applicants may be denied based on one or more factors including, but not limited to the following: an incomplete application; low PCAT scores (composite and/or subset scores); less competitive science GPA; low grades in specific courses such as biology, general chemistry, physics, or organic chemistry; unsatisfactory responses in the personal profile or essays; unsatisfactory letters of recommendation, and an unsatisfactory interview.

I thought this was very valuable information for all those applying/ will be applying. Apparently, this is what Uof FL focuses on.

lol, ok so i'm out of state, just an fyi for everyone. If you're getting a denial letter-it comes by email and the subject is "denial letter" so you know right away.

It's ok though, i've gotten into my #1 school. Good luck to everyone.

Yep, it's a pretty blunt email. I'm out of state also and although I really didn't want to move (I'm right outside of Jax), I'm sure I'll be very happy at UGA; my spouse will be very happy we'll be paying in state tuition. :D It is a relief to know one way or other. Good luck to everyone still waiting for news!

nicee man I've seen you around helping everyone here! Def deserve it, good luck on the interview but i doubt you need it because its probably in the bag =] :thumbup:

Thanks so much!!! The interview is on June 5th. I was told by some friends that I may get placed at one of the distant campuses should I get accepted. We shall see
Returning The High Five:highfive::)

CONGRATULATIONS and GOOD LUCK!!! Hope you don't mind me asking but did they e-mail you or did you get the invite through the mail?

Thanks for the congrats! I got the request via email.

nicee man I've seen you around helping everyone here! Def deserve it, good luck on the interview but i doubt you need it because its probably in the bag =] :thumbup:

Thank you! I heard the interview is pretty laid back but I'm not sure if they change protocol for alternate list interviews. Either way, I'll try to do my best!

Has anyone else been selected for verification on ISIS? The finaid status page is telling me that I have to complete a Statement of Dependency Status form before my application can be reviewed. The form makes sense until I get to this "question": I am requesting undergraduate financial aid for Fall 2009 or Spring 2010 (check yes or no).

I don't have a bachelors, but I have over 90 credit hours. Mike at financial aid told me to fill out the FAFSA as an independent. He also told me that I could still receive Bright Futures until 125 hours (or whatever) because I don't have a bachelors. Since I still want to receive this, should I check the box? I don't want to check it and then be limited to undergrad loans. Is anyone in this situation?? Why is financial aid so confusing? :smuggrin:

i'm familiar with UF's "random" selection for verification, i turned in this same form. if i remember correctly i thought that it had a few questions and you had to say yes to the first one that applied to you and only that one. for me, i checked the one that stated i'd be pursuing a graduate degree in 2009-2010 (third question or so i believe).

so long story short, i would check no that you don't want undergraduate loans for 09-10 since you won't be an undergrad (i'm assuming). i would rather be considered a graduate since you are eligible for more loans. you can also just ask the people at the pharm school's financial aid office.

hope this helps although i know it's a little long.

As far as I know, everyone having over 90 credits or have graduated is under verification for dependency. I would be hesitant to check anything until our classes are registered, which is the requirement that the registrar looks at to verify status. At the same time, I'm sure they will recognize that you are no longer an undergrad and will update your standing.

Before I left Gville for the summer, I talked to the financial aid office - basically they said to just wait.

The loan information on here looks incorrect. If you have enough credits you should get around 28,000 for the year but only 8500 (around that amount) is subsidized. The rest is unsubsidized.

Oh and also, don't worry about the EFC if you have a lot of hours and are not super young. Mine came up really high but I still got all of the money.

The loan information on here looks incorrect. If you have enough credits you should get around 28,000 for the year but only 8500 (around that amount) is subsidized. The rest is unsubsidized.

Does anyone know how much you can get if you don't have 90+ credits?? I only have 87 :mad: but am gonna need all the loan money I can get!!!

Does anyone know how much you can get if you don't have 90+ credits?? I only have 87 :mad: but am gonna need all the loan money I can get!!!

If I were you Id call Fin Aid. It will probably be in your best intrest to take a 3 credit course this summer at a community college.

I really hope my Primary Care gets my vaccine stuff filled out in a reasonable time (Now!!!111 So I can turn my packet in!!!11 :laugh:) but Im getting that sinking feeling Im going to have to show up in person.

i'm familiar with UF's "random" selection for verification, i turned in this same form. if i remember correctly i thought that it had a few questions and you had to say yes to the first one that applied to you and only that one. for me, i checked the one that stated i'd be pursuing a graduate degree in 2009-2010 (third question or so i believe).

so long story short, i would check no that you don't want undergraduate loans for 09-10 since you won't be an undergrad (i'm assuming). i would rather be considered a graduate since you are eligible for more loans. you can also just ask the people at the pharm school's financial aid office.

hope this helps although i know it's a little long.

As far as I know, everyone having over 90 credits or have graduated is under verification for dependency. I would be hesitant to check anything until our classes are registered, which is the requirement that the registrar looks at to verify status. At the same time, I'm sure they will recognize that you are no longer an undergrad and will update your standing.

Before I left Gville for the summer, I talked to the financial aid office - basically they said to just wait.

I emailed Mike again and asked him. He told me to "Just check box 2." Box 2 is for someone that is married. I'm not married, so I'm pretty sure he meant box 3. So I checked box 3. I'm assuming they'll just change whatever they need to, or contact me, or whatever. I would wait, but I don't want to wait too long and not have my financial aid when school starts. I need me some loans.

Now this is a stupid question (sorry), but what do I do with this form? Print it out and mail it there?

So I called UF financial aid to try and see what you can borrow with less than 90 credits and she didn't really seem to know the answer...she told me that with less than 90 credits i would be considered a dependent student. Does anyone know, is this the same kind of 'dependency' that they determine based on age/marital status/etc?? I would think I'd be independent based on the fact that I am 26 and married, but who knows...maybe I should go ahead and take a 3 credit class this summer to cover all bases...

sigh...i hate dealing with financial aid....

So I called UF financial aid to try and see what you can borrow with less than 90 credits and she didn't really seem to know the answer...she told me that with less than 90 credits i would be considered a dependent student. Does anyone know, is this the same kind of 'dependency' that they determine based on age/marital status/etc?? I would think I'd be independent based on the fact that I am 26 and married, but who knows...maybe I should go ahead and take a 3 credit class this summer to cover all bases...

sigh...i hate dealing with financial aid....

On the UF dependency form for financial aid, it gives you a long list of things and you have to check off the first one that applies to you. The 1st thing is "I was born before Jan 1, 1986." The 2nd thing on the list is "As of the day I signed the FAFSA, I was married." 3rd thing is working toward professional degree, etc etc. So I'm pretty sure that you will be considered an independent student, even without the 90 credits. Have you filled out the FAFSA yet?

The way I understood it was that dependency was another issue.

The credit things work out to whether or not you are working on your 1st year Professional Degree ($$$$) or your 3rd year Bachelors (¢¢¢¢). This done by number of credits, not the courses you are taking, which would explain why you need more than 90 credits to be considered for the larger amounts.

Whether or not that money is subsidized or not is Greek to me.

Did anyone else get that email with the link to purchase next year's books through the UF bookstore?

Below is the list I pulled up (of what is currently available atleast.. sounds like professors haven't posted all the books yet).

Are there any current students that can give us some insight on which books we really need?

1. Clinical Biochem - Textbook of Biochem, Devlin (6th ed.)
2. Dosage Forms I - no book posted (yet?)
3. Fund. of Med. Chem. - Review of Organic Functional groups, Lernke (4th)
4. Physiologic Basis of Dis. I - Pathophysiology, Porth (8th) (I think... the course number doesn't look right to me...)
5. Intro. Pharmacy Health care - Intro. health care delivery, McCarthy (4th)
6. Practicum I - Clinical skill sets for pharmacists, Tietze (2nd)

thats it...

Nope, didn't get it. Can you share the link?

This is what they sent. You'll need to look up the course numbers from the UF website:

Textbooks
You can lookup textbook requirements for each course on the UF Health Science Center Bookstore website (http://www.ufl-health.bkstr.com). You will need your course numbers in order to lookup your book requirements (see below – Courses & Schedules). Books are listed as professors submit their requests so updates may occur throughout the summer. The UF Health Science bookstore offers book deferment (the option to use your expected financial aid award as a form of payment) to purchase textbooks.

So I finally have all the stuff for the packet! :D

One problem. Since us Jax folks never got the "offical" packet only the email I have no idea where to send it to. Any ideas?

As for textbooks, Im borrowing them off of a P1 I know, thank god. I think I have to buy one shes keeping for reference this year, but thats it. Ive been told you dont need to buy the books, but my friend said she used them...so who knows. Guess it depends on if youre the textbook-using type or not. I am.

Last edited:
So I finally have all the stuff for the packet! :D

One problem. Since us Jax folks never got the "offical" packet only the email I have no idea where to send it to. Any ideas?

As for textbooks, Im borrowing them off of a P1 I know, thank god. I think I have to buy one shes keeping for reference this year, but thats it. Ive been told you dont need to buy the books, but my friend said she used them...so who knows. Guess it depends on if youre the textbook-using type or not. I am.

Depends on what form I think for the immunization form send to

The Student Health Care Center

Immunizations, University of Florida, SHCC

PO Box 117500 Gainesville, FL 32611-7500

I think everything else goes to..

Office for Student Affairs

University of Florida College of Pharmacy

Please someone correct me if I am wrong

PO Box 100495, Gainesville, FL 32610-0495

Depends on what form I think for the immunization form send to

The Student Health Care Center

Immunizations, University of Florida, SHCC

PO Box 117500 Gainesville, FL 32611-7500

I think everything else goes to..

Office for Student Affairs

University of Florida College of Pharmacy

Please someone correct me if I am wrong

PO Box 100495, Gainesville, FL 32610-0495

I needed to have my application complete at UF quickly because of a NOVA deadline to accept acceptance. I'm glad I did, because I sent immunization record only to SHCC. A copy must also be sent to the college of Pharmacy office for student affairs. I faxed them the info for faster processing.

Also, make sure you take the pertussis shot.

As of last week, my file was complete.

I can't wait to don the long Gators pharmacy white coat!

Go Gators! Go become a clinical PharmD!

When I interviewed at a different pharmacy school, I learned about the Health Professions Student Loan. It is a subsidized loan with a fixed 5% interest rate and a 12 month grace period, which is better than the 6.8% interest rate currently offered for Stafford loans.

I planned on applying for this loan to finance my pharmacy school tuition once I was accepted to UF. Unfortunately, according to Michael Menefee from Student Financial Affairs, the University of Florida only provides this loan to Medical, Dental and Veterinary students. :confused:

I guess Pharmacy is the redheaded stepchild of the medical professions in UF's eyes. It really stinks that those other doctoral students have SUBSIDIZED loans with interest rates that are 1.8% lower than ours! :mad:

Major bummer!

When I interviewed at a different pharmacy school, I learned about the Health Professions Student Loan. It is a subsidized loan with a fixed 5% interest rate and a 12 month grace period, which is better than the 6.8% interest rate currently offered for Stafford loans.

I planned on applying for this loan to finance my pharmacy school tuition once I was accepted to UF. Unfortunately, according to Michael Menefee from Student Financial Affairs, the University of Florida only provides this loan to Medical, Dental and Veterinary students. :confused:

I guess Pharmacy is the redheaded stepchild of the medical professions in UF's eyes. It really stinks that those other doctoral students have SUBSIDIZED loans with interest rates that are 1.8% lower than ours! :mad:

Major bummer!

I'll take 6.8% any day over some of the 20k+ or 30K & interest tuition out there. In fact, by the time I reach 4th year at UF, tuition will have been 12K. You are welcome to go somewhere else if 12k seems too much. Besides 6%+ seems to be ~ the norm at various institutions. Yea C U L8R G8R!

awww okay I sent all my forms out yesterday but not my immunizations. Oh well I'll send it out when it is done I guess...:(

I'll take 6.8% any day over some of the 20k+ or 30K & interest tuition out there. In fact, by the time I reach 4th year at UF, tuition will have been 12K. You are welcome to go somewhere else if 12k seems too much. Besides 6%+ seems to be ~ the norm at various institutions. Yea C U L8R G8R!

My point is, GatorRomp, that I would like to graduate from pharmacy school with the absolute least amount of debt possible. Yes, UF's extremely low tuition is part of that equation. But I was also hoping to couple that with the best possible student loan options that are available.

I am just puzzled and disappointed as to why UF would choose to provide this loan to some but not all of those eligible to receive it.

Major bummer!

Thats total BS. I remember when I went up to Creighton they gave us a 5 minute spiel about the HPSL, making it sound like it was our god-given right to get that loan. I was looking forward to borrowing 14K/year at UF at 5% interest. Thanks for completely ruining my day, C U L8R G8R