University of Florida C/O 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
we need to make a video of ourselves..nice! LOL

I dont have a webcam. I wonder if they would have an issue with me just making a video with my camera and posting that. Doubt it.

I think Ill just get the iTouch. I dont have the money to be spending every month on new AT&T service...even without the data plan itll be $20 more than Im spending now. Any thoughts? Is $20 more worth it? I think the iTouch has more memory too...

Members don't see this ad.

I think Ill just get the iTouch. I dont have the money to be spending every month on new AT&T service...even without the data plan itll be $20 more than Im spending now. Any thoughts? Is $20 more worth it? I think the iTouch has more memory too...

The cheapest - 16 gig Iphone 3GS (3rd gen) with 2 yr contract is $199 from AT&T. However you are REQUIRED to get the data plane and that is $30+ each month. So it'll be $50+ more for you each month. So no its not worth it IMO.

The cheapest - 8 gig ipod touch (2nd gen). is $230.

I would advise everyone to be a patient if they are getting the ipod touch. The 3rd gen should be released or announced in sept/oct just in time for holiday season. Looking at how much better the 3rd gen iphone is over the 2nd gen, it is worth the wait.

Also don't let these requirements scare you into buying an ipod touch right away, I would wait until you really needed it. Unless, you know.....you been waiting to justify spending $200+, but to be fair it is a really great device and PDA. I have palm pilots and HP IPAQ that I no longer use because of the ipod touch.

Members don't see this ad :)
After consulting current PharmD students at UF, it seems that the Iphone/Itouch will be important while out on introductory practice experiences and rotations. We will utilize drug applications that can be an important asset when recognizing drugs or pills, drug-interactions, and general information. Some schools such as Ohio State have developed their own programs for med/pharmacy students to utilize during school and field experience. I'm not convinced it will be needed right away. Pretty neat that UF is implementing such cutting edge devices.

Who have completed the assignments?

Were you able to record the informal and business videos w/o a headset?
Also did you really have to download movie maker?

Last edited:
i had a question about what model iTouch i should get and was connected to one of the media guys (Randy I think was his name.) any model iTouch or iPhone is ok. anyways, i asked if they would check to see that all students had them and he explained there's an activity that requires us to submit a screenshot of some drug software (btw - anybody know how to do a screenshot on a iTouch???) he also added that the college is working with a company that is developing an electronic medical record system and that Pharmacy students will be involved in evaluating the software and providing feedback on its development in addition to other reasons we need an iTouch.

To screenshot with iPod Touch and iPhone you press the home and power buttons together quickly. The screen will flash white and you'll have the capture in your photos.

I've finished all the assignments except Elluminate and the videos. I'm waiting until I get to Gainesville where I have a camera.

Hey all, pretty new to these forums (first post and all) so hello! I'm an incoming 1PD student at the Orlando campus. I've been lurking around SDN for a few weeks now but finally made an account because there's some important stuff I would like to point out to all incoming UF pharmacy students:

For those who haven't checked it out yet there are a bunch of e-learning assignments posted (some graded, some not but still 'required') so be sure to check those out. They are all due early august according to the UF COP website.

As for the iPod touch/phone issue there is currently a GRADED assignment (among quite a few non-graded ones) that involves submission of an Epocrates screenshot that is due with all the other graded assignments. Looks like waiting isn't really going to be an option (unless you want to have someone else that has one do it for you, but since it looks like the college is pretty serious about you having one by the first day I wouldn't reccomend it.)

Just throwing this stuff out there in case anyone missed the memo, especially if you're like me taking a full set of summer classes and juggling a few other things (not much summer vacation time ftl, but it'll keep me sharp for the upcoming semester so it's all good.) Just make sure to check e-learning often yourself and definitely before making any decisions or purchases!

Good to meet you all and looking forward to the start of the semester in August!

Does anyone know if Truecrypt is okay to use for the whole disk encryption? It's free compared to PGP and seems to be a pretty popular.

Last edited:
Congratulations. Any ideas or tips i should know about.If u do not mind what was your gpa, pcat scores and did you have any pharmacy experience?

Any reply's for anyone on the alternate list?

Any reply's for anyone on the alternate list?

Nothing yet here... I think they start mailing out letters this week (according to another interviewer whom I spoke to)... praying for good news

Wow, an I touch is required?????:eek: I guess it can be beneficial... is this included in the tuition? Can it be deferred?

Well I'm sure you could possibly get it from the book store and try to defer payment but i really don't know how that works because I've personally never used student loans.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if Truecrypt is okay to use for the whole disk encryption? It's free compared to PGP and seems to be a pretty popular.

I was looking at the same thing you were. $150 for PGP is just too much for me to afford right now.

I was looking at the same thing you were. $150 for PGP is just too much for me to afford right now.

Spoke to some current students, they all said to use Truecrypt. F spending money on that stuff.

Oh, and they WILL check that your PC is encrypted, so don't think you can get away with it!!

Nothing yet here... I think they start mailing out letters this week (according to another interviewer whom I spoke to)... praying for good newsQUOTE]

Hey Pharmdapp I'm hoping we can be classmates :) did they say they were gonna use pony express or e-mail for the letters?

Nothing yet here... I think they start mailing out letters this week (according to another interviewer whom I spoke to)... praying for good newsQUOTE]

Hey Pharmdapp I'm hoping we can be classmates :) did they say they were gonna use pony express or e-mail for the letters?

I hope we can be classmates as well. I'm not sure what mode of communication they are planning to use for us, but I just checked my mail and no news yet. I'm not sure if they are going to use email, mostly because they used mail for every other thing. We will have to see. There were so many of us at that interview. Hopefully we make the cut.:)

Whole disk encryption with truecrypt is straight forward just read everything carefully. Just make sure you make a de-encryption disk, incase the the disk sector that has truecrypt goes corrupt. Also pick the fastest encryption algorithm (AES) or it'll take many hours to days (depending on your harddrive cap) to encrypte.

It might feel a little slower on older machines.

Hey, just thought I'd share an article from The Gainesville Sun. It sheds some light onto why we need the iPhone.

UF college requires iPhone, touch
Incoming students in pharmacy must have the devices.

By Nathan Crabbe
Staff writer

Published: Friday, July 3, 2009 at 6:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Thursday, July 2, 2009 at 9:32 p.m.
As the commercial says, there's an iPhone app for just about anything - including the University of Florida's College of Pharmacy.

Starting in the fall, students entering the college will be required to have an iPhone or iPod touch. Students will use the portable devices for interactive classroom polling, listening to lectures and looking up drug information, college Dean William Riffee said.

He said two-thirds of the college's curriculum already is available digitally and that the requirement continues the college's trend in that direction.

"We've been out front on technology," he said.

Apple Computers makes the devices. The cost of the iPod touch starts at $229, and the iPhone starts at $99 with a new two-year AT&T wireless contract.

UF is not the first university to require the devices. In May, the University of Missouri announced it would require journalism students to have them.

An iPhone user himself, Riffee said Apple provided iPod touches that faculty tested at a retreat before the device was selected. Students' familiarity with the iPod and Apple's large network of developers creating applications were cited as reasons for the choice.

The college will distribute nearly all lectures on iTunes U, said Andy Kellenberger, the college's coordinator of educational media.

He said the college also is working with a company developing electronic medical records for the iPod touch. Students will help test the technology for the company, he said, providing feedback on its development.

"We want them to be more than comfortable with what these things can do," he said.

and hey now if anyone in Gainesville is looking to steal an iPhone they know which part of campus they have the best shot :)

Hey yall. I went to the interview June 5th and I got an email July 2 saying I was admitted conditionally. I have to fill out a whole bunch of paperwork and take care of a lot of business. But I am soooooo excited that I don't have to leave the state of Florida. Pharmdapp87, I been reading everything you have posted and I hope you're my classmate. I will keep you in my prayers that you get an invitation! Congratulations to everyone...UF COP CLASS 2013!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! You're gonna be a gator pharmacist!!!!!! I hope I can be your classmate too:xf:. And thanks for keeping me in your prayers. I greatly appreciate it :)!

Hey yall. I went to the interview June 5th and I got an email July 2 saying I was admitted conditionally. I have to fill out a whole bunch of paperwork and take care of a lot of business. But I am soooooo excited that I don't have to leave the state of Florida. Pharmdapp87, I been reading everything you have posted and I hope you're my classmate. I will keep you in my prayers that you get an invitation! Congratulations to everyone...UF COP CLASS 2013!!!

So only one person so far on this form has got a email to UF from the june 5th interview? sigh...

Don't worry be patient. There were 3 spots open initially but everyone said the alternates will have a pretty good chance... At least 50% and there was like 26 of us at the interview. But I'm happy that i will be a Gator again. I got accepted into the Orlando campus. Good luck to the other alternates...I will definitley keep yall in my prayers!!!

Hey I am coming to Gainesville this Thursday leaving friday to look for an apartment
3 questions
1) Could anyone put me up for one night?
2) If not, could anyone recommend a decent hotel?
3) On Thursday night, anyone want to get together and have a few drinks?
let me know

I'm new to the forum...Any advice for someone hoping to be in the class of 2014? Right now my GPA is not so good. I'm taking summer classes to get it higher. I'm taking the PCAT in august. Florida is my top choice, any good tips to get in?

Over the weekend I was told some tidbits that the other alternates might find useful. I'm fairly certain it's accurate.

- 8 spots were filled by the selection committee on June 30
- If necessary, the next date to admit alternates will be sometime in late July

Soooo... a few more weeks of waiting for us. Yay ;)

Some good hotels...well there is a holiday inn right across the street from uf...it's on the corner of 13th and university ave. they also have some other hotels like quality inn (i believe) but they are a little further like around archer and I-75...i know the area I've been there since 04...if ya have any other questions like good apartments, holla at me.

Hey I am coming to Gainesville this Thursday leaving friday to look for an apartment
3 questions
1) Could anyone put me up for one night?
2) If not, could anyone recommend a decent hotel?
3) On Thursday night, anyone want to get together and have a few drinks?
let me know

i'd recommend the courtyard by marriott right off the archer road exit (to the left behind the mcdonald's). i worked there for a summer and at the time they had a great breakfast buffet and good staff.

I'm a senior in H. school now with a 3.8 gpa. I heard UF is hard to get into...any advice?
Also I plan on doing pre-pharm..so what are the pros and cons of UF? like the teachers, dorms, homework ect? have anytime to have fun?

Do you think that those 8 spots were to get it to 300 students?
It was probably to meet max capacity at the time, which I can't think of off the top of my head. 300 sounds about right.

Is it a good idea to sign for the Global Health Elective as an extra class given the rigors of the other classes?

Well be given the option to take electives during the summer as well. Id rather keep my normal fall/spring schedule and punch out extra classes then.

Anyone gotten their stuff done yet? I realized I *have* to buy a webcam so Im buying that and the iTouch this weekend and knocking these projects out.

Anyone heard anything about applying for loans?? Can we apply yet? Anyone know how? lol not quite sure what to do, but need those loans!!! :D

As long as you filled out the FASFA youre good to go. Just go through ISIS and make sure you dont have any holds that may delay the process. For me, an estimated cost of attending moved from 26k to 28k recently. Not sure why, but I guess theyre fiddling with things.

As long as you filled out the FASFA youre good to go. Just go through ISIS and make sure you dont have any holds that may delay the process. For me, an estimated cost of attending moved from 26k to 28k recently. Not sure why, but I guess theyre fiddling with things.

Where can you find the estimated cost of attending in ISIS? Can't seem to find mine...

Where can you find the estimated cost of attending in ISIS? Can't seem to find mine...

You may have holds preventing it to come through. May want to poke around the website. You have to fill out emergency contact forms, some other thing, take the financial aid class thingy...all thats in various places on ISIS.

So I got my webcam up and running (w00t). Next up was getting the Epocrates app up and running which proved to be a major pain. My husband ended up downloading the new 3.0 software ($10!) to get my BRAND NEW itouch to work. Buncha scammers they are.

So I guess all thats left is posting the vids I still need to make and getting the itouch screenshot up. Apparently only like, 30 people have completed the assignment so I dont feel too bad.

You may have holds preventing it to come through. May want to poke around the website. You have to fill out emergency contact forms, some other thing, take the financial aid class thingy...all thats in various places on ISIS.

So I got my webcam up and running (w00t). Next up was getting the Epocrates app up and running which proved to be a major pain. My husband ended up downloading the new 3.0 software ($10!) to get my BRAND NEW itouch to work. Buncha scammers they are.

So I guess all thats left is posting the vids I still need to make and getting the itouch screenshot up. Apparently only like, 30 people have completed the assignment so I dont feel too bad.

Why did you have to pay $10 to update your software for epocrates? Epocrates ran fine on my version 2.2.1 software

When did you download Epocrates? I did mine yesterday so I think I may have a newer version that required new software.

None of my apps worked until the software was updated. Weird.

iPod Touch updates are not free. Get used to pay $10 dollars for major updates :(

Epocrates does work on 2.0 though, so not sure why you had to update.

So is all this junk I keep buying for school tax deductable?

For those of you who have installed TrueCrypt.. I'm having trouble understanding the whole disk encryption... Are we basically creating a drive letter that is fully encrypted, so that whatever we save to the drive is fully encrypted and password protected? Or is our WHOLE computer going to have to be encrypted like our C drive, etc? Thanks for any info.

For those of you who have installed TrueCrypt.. I'm having trouble understanding the whole disk encryption... Are we basically creating a drive letter that is fully encrypted, so that whatever we save to the drive is fully encrypted and password protected? Or is our WHOLE computer going to have to be encrypted like our C drive, etc? Thanks for any info.
Sorry for not replying sooner.

You are not making a new drive letter to put private files that will need to be encrypted, you can do that with Truecrypt but thats not whole disk encryption.

What we are doing with WHOLE disk encryption is that exactly that, the entire harddrive (even with multi-partition) will be encrypted. Everytime you boot up, you will be prompted for a password. If you don't know the password, windows won't boot up.

For example if someone steals your computer, and you only have windows login password protected. They can get around this by taking the harddrive out, stick it in a external casing and still get to your files. With whole disk encryption, they can't access it even with this method unless they knew the password for Truecrypt.

The whole disk encryption is real time, so your computer will work like it always have. Just make sure you keep the restore disk in a safe place, just in case your harddrive gets corrupted. The restore disk can remove the encryption.

I made this guide for someone and I figure everyone else can use it since it is a requirement. Let me know if you have any questions on encryption or see any corrections that need to be made.

Follow these steps to get FREE whole drive encryption that will meet UF requirements with minimum hassle. Please backup any files before attempting and since it is a free program and a free guide, use it at your own risk. This was installed on Window XP pro/home, but Vista should be the same.

1) Download and install TrueCrypt from www.truecrypt.org (latest stable version is 6.2a as of the creation of this guide).
2) Go to program menu and start TrueCrypt.
3) After it loads, go to 'System' at the top menu and click on 'Encrypt System Partition/Drive'
4) Truecrypt volume creation wizard will pop up. Choose 'Normal' and click Next.
5) Choose ‘Encrypt the whole drive’ and click Next.
6) Check 'No' for Encryption of Host Area and click Next
7) If you have more then one operating system on the same harddrive click multi-boot, otherwise click on single-boot and hit next.
8) Pick "AES" algorithm and RIPEMD-160 for hash (using the other stronger algorithm can cause older systems to slow down), click Next.
9) Follow the direction and pick a strong password, this password will prompt every time the computer boots up so don’t make it so you can’t remember it. Click Next.
10) Randomly move the mouse over the data to create random data that will be used in the encryption. The more you play with this, the stronger the encryption. Click Next.
11) Click Next
12) Create a Rescue Disk and choose where you want the Truecrypt to store it on your computer, remember the file location so you can burn it as a CD/DVD ISO. Click Next.
13) Burn the ISO file that was just created using Nero or any other burning program; remember to burn it as an ISO, not as a data file.
14) TrueCrypt will now verify that a Recovery Disk was burned, click next to check that it was burnt properly.
15) Label the CD/DVD and store it in a safe place.
16) Pick “None (Fastest)” Wipe Mode. Click Next.
17) Click on Test, read the instructions.
18) Click on Yes to restart when prompted.
19) On the restart, it should ask for the password that you created in step 9. Type that in and windows should start normally.
20) TrueCrypt Volume Creation Wizard should be automatically started.
21) Click on Encrypt.
22) Process should take a couple of hours depending on your processor and harddrive size. Make sure that the power is not interrupted otherwise it can cause your operating system to stop working. If you need to you can defer it or pause it and then resume the encryption process at a later time by going to 'System' in the Truecrypt program.

WOOOOOOOP!!! I GOT INTO UF ORLANDO CAMPUS!!!!:banana:

CONGRATS! I knew it! ahah

and your reward is......stupid online assignments LOL j/k

congrats again!