University of Florida vs Nova Southeastern University.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlvaDentistry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I feel happy and proud to be accepted to my top dental schools: UF and Nova.

I know UF is a great school. I studied there, and I had the opportunity to explore its dental building including the dental clinics. The students seem to like the school, I have spoken to several of them.

I do not know anyone from Nova that could tell me how well prepared they graduate from the school. A few people that didn’t study there tell me the school has some issues, but again, they didn’t go there.

Nova is really close from home where all my family and fiancé live. I wouldn’t have to worry about rent or driving for hours to visit them. I could live comfortably, and spend more time with my significant others.

However, I think again about the education, and a lil bit about the debt, but especially about the education, and I say, how am I going to reject UF?

This is exhausting, I thought the stress was going to go away once I received the acceptances. But still I have to make the decision of where I will go for 4 years of my life.

If anyone that goes/or went to Nova could help me out a little bit by telling me how their experiences are/were at the school I would appreciate it very much. Of course I would like to hear from UF students as well.

Any input will be appreciated.

Thank you all and have a great 2015.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to sound biased since I will also be going to UF in the Fall but think about this. 4 years with SO/family + an eternity after with them + less debt VS 4 years w/o SO/family + an eternity after with them + more debt. If it were me, the decision is clear that it's UF since you will become a dentist regardless graduating from either school. (Maybe I'm just trying to get more study buddies who knows :p)

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the replies. This is difficult even if for some ppl it is obvious.
Ive lived in Gainesville n 4 more years sounds like an eternity there.
Also I live very close to Nova in a really nice apartment, which I know I wont get to be so confortable if I move to gville.
But again, I know how well students get prepared at UF, and I dont know if it is the same case at Nova.

Like what?

The alum ive talked to pointed to a poor curriculum, failing requirements, difficult to attain patients...never verified it, or cared too...ive also had faculty out right bad mouth the program...if u can avoid a program with a negative rep you should...if it's the only program u can get into, then who cares

At the end of the day u get your dmd. Maybe some dentists are a lil more better prepared than others but, no one is going to come out of dental school significantly more prepared than the other. You get what you put in and most of your learning occurs after dental school from what I hear.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The alum ive talked to pointed to a poor curriculum, failing requirements, difficult to attain patients...never verified it, or cared too...ive also had faculty out right bad mouth the program...if u can avoid a program with a negative rep you should...if it's the only program u can get into, then who cares
When did u hear this? Supposedly it was like this in the past but not anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

2 years ago for some, more recently for others

Yeah, some of them might've been in the past. When I interviewed there this past fall, I thought the program was really well put together. I cant imagine why they would have a shortage of patients in such a populous area. But I guess it's one of those things where you dont really know unless you're in the thick of it.

And I dont blame you for not verifying it. If I'm going to another dental school. I probably dont have time nor is it my priority to verify how great or poor other DMD programs at other schools are.

Thank you for the replies. This is difficult even if for some ppl it is obvious.
Ive lived in Gainesville n 4 more years sounds like an eternity there.
Also I live very close to Nova in a really nice apartment, which I know I wont get to be so confortable if I move to gville.
But again, I know how well students get prepared at UF, and I dont know if it is the same case at Nova.
You have the Miami girl syndrome... As a result, NOVA is your best choice. NOVA has SEVRAL girls like you. You'll fit in.

I have quite a few friends at UF and even one prepared to graduate this summer. Believe me when I tell you that UF is probably the best dental education in Florida, not to mention the alumni connections and list of post-grad residencies available.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have the Miami girl syndrome... As a result, NOVA is your best choice. NOVA has SEVRAL girls like you. You'll fit in.

You dont know me to make that statement, and you are actually very wrong.
It would be good if you didn't comment if you are not going to answer the question or help in any way.

I have quite a few friends at UF and even one prepared to graduate this summer. Believe me when I tell you that UF is probably the best dental education in Florida, not to mention the alumni connections and list of post-grad residencies available.
Thank you! Yes, I have volunteered at the dental clinics and ive seen how well prepared they all are. I also know several students there and they all like it.
This answer was helpful, thank you!

Looks like she doesnt want to be help.

Clear out everybody.

You dont know me to make that statement, and you are actually very wrong.
It would be good if you didn't comment if you are not going to answer the question or help in any way.
I was only joking around. However, a LOT of girls choose NOVA over UF because of relationships. UF is the better school. It's a tough choice since you have a fiance. I would pick UF over NOVA at the end of the day.

the stress of the extra loans would probably outweigh the stress of living in a location that is not ideal for you. jus saying

and @DentalFox Nova is not an acronym.

the stress of the extra loans would probably outweigh the stress of living in a location that is not ideal for you. jus saying

and @DentalFox Nova is not an acronym.
I'm going to claim artistic license in my defense

I have known graduates from both schools, for many many years. I believe Nova is by far the better school. Not because of facilities or curriculum, but because of the way they train students. Dentistry is a stressful profession. At UF, teaching students does not seem at the top of the list. More pressure is put on faculty to publish & bring in research bucks. The students are not pushed, have an easier time and it reflects in their drive before & after graduation. One UF student told me, that the weekends start Thursday afternoons - and that was not weekend study time.

My recommendation, however, is to go to UF, take a residency or a few years in the military, Schools teach you basics, but becoming a dentist occurs post grad.

Why UF? $$$$. Dental schools graduate students with a dental foundation. You don't become a dentist, until a few years after graduation. You can develop excellent dental skills and a good work ethic post grad, much quicker than paying off the loans. The difference in the 2 schools, academically, is not as great as the difference in $ outlay.

My opinion: Nova is the better school. However, I can't say it's worth the money, compared to UF.

Hmm.. interesting. I also talked to many UF dental students, and quite a few of them actually said that they're are NOT happy with the school. The simulators are apperently "100 years old", students have very limited excess to the lab and feel like they don't have enough time to practice, and exam scheduling "could definitely be better". This is what I heard from not one, but several students there.

I heard they changed the exams schedule last year because students were complaining about having exams almost every day. That's something good. It is definitely not an easy dental school. I have heard NSU students have a little bit more time to relax. This also means that UF dental students could be better prepared when they graduate. I don't know because I haven't assisted both schools. I wish I could see myself 5 years from now graduating from both schools, but since that is impossible I just gotta try whichever I believe is the best option for me. So far I chose UF, but that doesn't mean i completely forgot about NSU. Sometimes I wonder if I made the right choice. But like I said, that's impossible to know. I believe life guides you little by little, and in the end, what is meant to happen will happen.

From all dental students I've talked to, Flordia is a much better education than Nova. I've interviewed at both schools (Nova for D School, Florida for residency) and that was the impression that I got as well. However, I don't feel that bad for you saying you will be miserable in Gainesville, try living in the midwest! Use some of the money you are saving to out on weekends and during breaks and take some road trips to Miami, Tampa, and other fun places in Florida..just my 2 cents! U Florida will open more doors for your future as well if you are thinking of specializing.