University of Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GovernmentBranch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey!
I am planning on applying to UF's Pharmacy school next fall and I wanted an opinion on my stats and extracurricular!
The thing with me is that my overall gpa is pretty low (3.1), but my Science gpa is 3.65, would this put me at a disadvantage with UF?
And for my extra curricular
  • Certified Pharmacy Technician, work with CVS
  • I have 7 years of involvement (Volunteer/work) with the Boys & Girls Club
  • I have done job shadowing at Target and a local compounding Pharmacy
  • During the summer I volunteered at the Pharmacy in a local hospital
  • I am a Disaster Action Team member at the Red Cross
  • I am in the Pre-Pharmacy club at my University
  • Im in the Caribbean Student Association at school
  • I work part-time at an amusement park

What other extracurricular should I sign up for? Ad what do you think my chances are at getting into UF? I feel like I am still not good enough for UF, and that is truly the only school that I want to get in to :-/

Members don't see this ad.

I plan to apply to UF too! I have 2.86 gpa currently, but I have been apart of some clubs. I also have no experience in pharmacy. I scored 88 composite on PCAT and hope that will help me get an interview

I plan to apply to UF too! I have 2.86 gpa currently, but I have been apart of some clubs. I also have no experience in pharmacy. I scored 88 composite on PCAT and hope that will help me get an interview
Oh wow! What did you do for preparation for the PCAT???

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm considering applying to UF. I'm currently applying to only LECOM at the moment though. Also - what was your PCAT? I think LECOM's average was 70.

I have yet to take the PCAT, I am planning on taking it this spring!
And I heard that UF is really hard to get into, which is why I'm freaking out! I feel like I may be underqualified.

LECOm doesn't use the PCAT I think. I used Dr collins and Pearson

Does UF or LECOM accept transcripts from overseas? I am US permanent resident here but I got my undergraduate education overseas.

Does UF or LECOM accept transcripts from overseas? I am US permanent resident here but I got my undergraduate education overseas.
I'm not too sure about LECOM, but UF does not accept many out of state applicants, and I feel like it would be even more difficult if you were overseas..

2.86 is really low. Average is around 3.5.

Everything would have to be very impressive to get an interview.

2.86 is really low. Average is around 3.5.

Everything would have to be very impressive to get an interview.
ye I know, but hoping a strong PCAT score will help it. Also, it includes all the classes for me getting my bachelor's in cell and molecular biology at the end of this semester

ye I know, but hoping a strong PCAT score will help it. Also, it includes all the classes for me getting my bachelor's in cell and molecular biology at the end of this semester
Average is about 80. Are you in state?

Just a warning to all applicants. UF has officially decided to cut back the total class size by 10% as part of its new curriculum. Normal class size between the 4 campuses is around 300 students total, starting Fall of 2015 they are only going to be accepting around 270 as well as phasing out the St. Petersburg campus. The new curriculum also requires a few different pre-requisites than were required this last year so I'd keep an eye on those and make sure you meet the criteria for acceptance. On the upside the new curriculum looks really nice (as a P1 this year I'm a little jealous) but it is also going to make the school year a few weeks longer for incoming students. Just more motivation to do well on the PCAT and make yourself stand out even more as far as extracurricular activities go!

On the supplemental, it says that a UF id is required. I'm out of state. I'm unsure about this.

Hey!
I am planning on applying to UF's Pharmacy school next fall and I wanted an opinion on my stats and extracurricular!
The thing with me is that my overall gpa is pretty low (3.1), but my Science gpa is 3.65, would this put me at a disadvantage with UF?
And for my extra curricular
  • Certified Pharmacy Technician, work with CVS
  • I have 7 years of involvement (Volunteer/work) with the Boys & Girls Club
  • I have done job shadowing at Target and a local compounding Pharmacy
  • During the summer I volunteered at the Pharmacy in a local hospital
  • I am a Disaster Action Team member at the Red Cross
  • I am in the Pre-Pharmacy club at my University
  • Im in the Caribbean Student Association at school
  • I work part-time at an amusement park

What other extracurricular should I sign up for? Ad what do you think my chances are at getting into UF? I feel like I am still not good enough for UF, and that is truly the only school that I want to get in to :-/
UF primarily looks at science GPA. As an in-applicant, a 3.65 sGPA is competitive. Like 770link said, they are closing down one campus and shortening the class sizes. If anything, it will get even more competitive now with the new curriculum rolling around in August 2015. I think you have good extracurricular activities. Just make sure to kill the PCAT, and you should have no problem getting an interview. Strong LORs and personal statement helps too.