University of Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tampali

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey friends,

Anybody applying at University of Florida this year? I guess their application deadline is Nov 1st. They have 2 kinds of program - 2 yr and 4 yr. If anybody has any idea how competitive is it, any min scores that they entertained last year?

Any info will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody applying at University of Florida, is it me alone? ;) Thats cool.....

Tampali said:
Nobody applying at University of Florida, is it me alone? ;) Thats cool.....
Hey i want to apply the University of Florida with my passing score part 1 only but i thought about it that i have to study 4 more years when compare with other school. Therefore, i dont think i will apply there anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Tampali,
I am also interested in applying to the University of Florida. Unfortunaly I know less than you about it. Can you give me the information you have about them.

Thanks
Brazuca

I applied to this university for both programs 2 yr and 4 yr.

Anybody on the same boat as mine who has applied at UFL....

If anybody here who has already given the interview at UFL previously, please share your experience with us.

Thanks

hi im also planning to apply to uf for 2007 , they have 10 seats for certificate 2 yr program and 2 seats for 4 yr program and they almost only accept florida residents meaning having on going perm resident status at least. thats all i know...

Why is that there are so many people here who have applied to UIC but nobody at UFL, as both are similar kind of program?

I have not applied to UIC but I have applied at UFL.

Tampali said:
I applied to this university for both programs 2 yr and 4 yr.

Anybody on the same boat as mine who has applied at UFL....

If anybody here who has already given the interview at UFL previously, please share your experience with us.

Thanks

I have also applied to UF for the 2 year program. All I know is that they have 12 seats and there is a workshop you have to attend... I guess whoever get called to this workshop in Jan 2006 is pretty much in. They said they will mail the letters at the beginning of Dec. 2005.

dgmarius said:
I have also applied to UF for the 2 year program. All I know is that they have 12 seats and there is a workshop you have to attend... I guess whoever get called to this workshop in Jan 2006 is pretty much in. They said they will mail the letters at the beginning of Dec. 2005.
I have only one question.............if dgmarius is from Roumania?

adinavv said:
I have only one question.............if dgmarius is from Roumania?

Hmmm, he actually is...Adina

dgmarius said:
Are you in the States? What city?
in Fort Lauderdale , Florida si invat de zor pentru dental 2 . Dar tu?

Members don't see this ad :)
Tampali said:
Hey friends,

Anybody applying at University of Florida this year? I guess their application deadline is Nov 1st. They have 2 kinds of program - 2 yr and 4 yr. If anybody has any idea how competitive is it, any min scores that they entertained last year?

nu va mai amagiti fratilor si va faceti sperante ca sistemul aici este la fel ca in romania:ai pile intri in facultate,nu ai pile atunci stai si te uiti pe cer si visezi cum faceai plombe in romania.este o singura diferenta aici:nu se spun pile,se spun "recomandari" ,iar cand te refuza o fac cu zambetul pe buze.
deci va urez sa luptati in continuare si cine stie poate pe la 40 de ani sau ceva mai devreme sunteti studenti,adevarul este ca putin cam trecuti cu varsta,dar studenti in usa.si dupa aia mai aveti ceva timp sa platiti banii pe care i-ati pierdut ca sa fiti studenti,si sa cam dus viata...deci spor la treaba si ne mai auzim

misu said:
nu va mai amagiti fratilor si va faceti sperante ca sistemul aici este la fel ca in romania:ai pile intri in facultate,nu ai pile atunci stai si te uiti pe cer si visezi cum faceai plombe in romania.este o singura diferenta aici:nu se spun pile,se spun "recomandari" ,iar cand te refuza o fac cu zambetul pe buze.
deci va urez sa luptati in continuare si cine stie poate pe la 40 de ani sau ceva mai devreme sunteti studenti,adevarul este ca putin cam trecuti cu varsta,dar studenti in usa.si dupa aia mai aveti ceva timp sa platiti banii pe care i-ati pierdut ca sa fiti studenti,si sa cam dus viata...deci spor la treaba si ne mai auzim

Translation Please.

whats that supposed to mean?? :confused:
misu said:

misu said:

never read romanian before, looks like pure latin to me. you guys can probably learn spanish in no time, specially in florida.

Meggs said:
never read romanian before, looks like pure latin to me. you guys can probably learn spanish in no time, specially in florida.
yes ,it is a latin language,.
Sorry to write in other language ,but I was so happy to find a person that speak same language as me

I applied to UF for the 2 and 4 year FTD programs. I received an invitation to the workshop for the FTD class of 2008. Does somebody know how is it?. and how to be prepare for it?
Have a nice Thanksgiving Day.

Tampali said:
Why is that there are so many people here who have applied to UIC but nobody at UFL, as both are similar kind of program?

I have not applied to UIC but I have applied at UFL.

Hi, I also received the invitation for the workshop, It's a practical test, and You have to prepare a class II in # 5, a class II amalgam with cusp restoration in #15, composite in #9, and preparation for a gold crown in #19.
I've heard that you have 4 hours and if you pass they'll invite you for an iinterview.

Did anybody applied to Nova Southestern University? Did anybody hear anything from them?

SJ35 said:
Did anybody applied to Nova Southestern University? Did anybody hear anything from them?
Hi
Even i applied to NSE univ ..but i haven't heard yet...

hi
actully last year they accepted only one person at nova so i am still thinking wether to apply or not
any suggestions

Thank you Colombia for the tip. I am going to visit Gainesville before the workshop
to buy the amalgam, composite , and burs . also to know where is the exact
location of the place.

rojasflorida said:
Thank you Colombia for the tip. I am going to visit Gainesville before the workshop
to buy the amalgam, composite , and burs . also to know where is the exact
location of the place.

I also got a workshop/interview call for the Program. I have rented the instrument from UFL.

Rojasflorida, please let us know what they say after your visit at UFL. Lets share the information.

Thanks
Tampali

Tampali said:
I also got a workshop/interview call for the Program. I have rented the instrument from UFL.

Rojasflorida, please let us know what they say after your visit at UFL. Lets share the information.

Thanks
Tampali

Guys,
Any new information about University of Florida. Please share.... My interview/workshop is on 26th. Please provide some interview tips.

Thank you in advance.

Tampali said:
Guys,
Any new information about University of Florida. Please share.... My interview/workshop is on 26th. Please provide some interview tips.

Thank you in advance.
Hi Tampali
I rented the instrumental and received the confirmation that they
got the payment. They sent me instructions about the workshop. I am planning to go the day before .
I understand you only want tips, sorry I do not have any .
I guess in the Student Drs forum you ,Colombia,and me are the only people that are going to take that interview. I am very exited about this
workshop. Tampali Good luck

who have attended workshop and interview, please share some news guys
thanks

hi guys....
i read that some of you r planning to apply to UFl with ndbe 1 scores...Is that possible?I m in gainesville and they told me that u require both 1 n 2 scores and also that they accept students who already have a GREEN CARD...which I dont yet.Is there a way around that?
Please reply...
bye.

I have been to University of Florida many times. My best friend is the Chief Resident of the Pros. Program. I have residence in New York and Florida. The info stated here on these threads are correct. I am writing to tell you of the life and demographics, if anyone cares to know.

First the area of Univ. Fla. is a rural part of north Fla.It is 5 hours driving time north of Miami, so it is very much a terrane college. The city of Gainesville is the University. So everything that goes on in this city is related to what's going on in the Univ. it is the undergraduate life style that is predominate. They have a lot of eateries and a huge night life. It is all very cool. I have had the pleasure of enjoying there "young" night life. The life style is governed by their athletic programs and the Univ. hospital which is Shands hospital (? spelling) . The hospital is great and all the people and faculty are very nice and curdious; that is just a product of rural America. I would say to anyone who gets into thier programs, thier 2-4 year stay at Univ. Fla. will be enjoyable. The Univ. has a national ranking and reputation in Dentistry for its research programs. It is a great school. If I had the choice I would go, but I am set on New York schools.

There 2 yr. program is a certificate F.T.D. program it is only good if you need to get in somewhere and you don't see yourself getting into a Ms. P.G.. or A.S.P. somewhere else.
It is also correct to say that they are partial to Florida State residence only. That doesn't mean you should not apply if you want to go there. the 4 yr. program is just what it is, it is a 4 yr. program for DDS.

Ms. P.G. programs, example the Pros. Program is three years. There is a new Director there and he has changed the standards of expectancy. Now you need part 1 and 2 passing scores are all you need the better you have the better chance you have but my best friend who is the chief resident only had and 81 part 1 and 79 part 2.
Now, he is a Florida resident and Latino, which is the dominant culture there but still a minority compared to the whole school. I should add that the program is stipend so he pays a little and he makes a little. Also, the beauty here is Florida State law like New York only states that you need to finish 2 or more years on any type of Ada certified program to practice. In his case he is limited to Pros, but , when you look at it when he is done he will have the title: DDS, Ms. FAAC; which translates: he is a dentist with a Masters in Pros and an Ambassador of the Academy of Prostodontics( after he meets the requisites), with a specialty in Implants. Now he only wants to live and work in Florida but the beauty is he can also with his final education and certification be eligible to practice in other states one being Texas. I don't know the other states but there are multiple states he can practice at. He MUST take the Florida boards and I think he is legally eligible to take the S.E.R.B. as well as another region in the South west.

Now here are the rumors:
1) the F.T.D. program is RUMORED! to change over to a three year Advanced Standing Program. This is the growing trend in the U.S.A., look at what happened to Chicargo. I have a friend that I studied part 1 with who by the grace of God went to apply for the F.T.,D program there and THAT SAME DAY they changed over to an advanced standing 2 yr. program and they excepted her with a part 1 score of 81 only ,but, she did very well on the interview and her knowledge of clinical dentistry far succeeds the reflecition of that 81 score, so they excepted her.

2) As far as the Ms.PG. programs you will now need part 1 and part 2 combined passing to get in. Also they were thinking of offering a d.d.s. to my best friend if he would stay on another yr. to two yrs. And take classes and teach. Not a bad deal.This is another growing trend I know this because my other study partner for part 1 got into the Ms. program at Indiana and they offered him a DDS after he did 3 yrs. and stayed on for 1 pending his retake part 2 score. he got an 84 part 1 and 79 part 2.

If any one has any other question let me know and I will consult my best friend at the Univ. and get back to you. I hope my info is correct, as I know it to be, and helped someone out - Bill

dgmarius said:

Hello everyone here.
I will be attending the 2 day workshop too. It will be great meeting everyone.
I'm afraid the worksop invitation is far from an easy pass into the program. The exam is difficult, they are meticulous about the practicals and they interview 60 doctors for 12 seats (1 in 5). It's a decent shot, not the best, but it's ok, specially if you're a Florida resident. If you are not a Florida resident, I am afraid to say that your chances may be cut as far as %60. No joke. You must understand that this is a public (state supported) school, and floridian tax dollars go towards it's revenues. In other words, they would rather spend it on their own kids before someone else.
I know what i'm saying too because I live in Gainesville, and have for the past 3 years. I also have worked as a dental assistant in the office of a UF faculty member for about a year. This is my second time applying to UF. On my 1st attempt I got rejected from the 4yr DMD program (I only had part 1 of the boards, and I don't have the best scores ... they only accept 2 doctors into that program each year).
I wish everyone good luck. We can do this ! I just thought I would clarify some of the misconceptions which I read on this thread.
So how is everyone planning on preparing ?
Can you share your qualifications with the others interested ?

prachi said:
hi guys....
i read that some of you r planning to apply to UFl with ndbe 1 scores...Is that possible?I m in gainesville and they told me that u require both 1 n 2 scores and also that they accept students who already have a GREEN CARD...which I dont yet.Is there a way around that?
Please reply...
bye.
Yes, they require only part I for the 4 yr DMD program, and both I&II for the 2 yr FTD certificate.
You have a good chance being a fl resident, although only 2 get accepted each year in the 4 yr DMD program.
Also, being a public (state supported) school, I'm afraid they will only consider your application if you are a citizen or a permenant resident (green card). Good luck.

Tampali said:
Hey friends,

UFCD FTD interviewees Jan 2006 (Please add your name if it is not on here)

rojasflorida
Tampali
Colombiadent
NileBDS (Registered Group A)

Hello Rojas.
How did your interview go ? Who did you interview with ? Clinicals ?
Let me know when you see this message, and we can discuss what we both did. It was overall ok to me. Hopefully we should hear something (good) soon. Good luck !

1. Personal interview: Same questions as almost any other interview. ie; personal backround, experience, goals, interest in the program, language proficiency ...
2. Clinical exam: You should know that University of Florida is also famous for having tough clinical standards. While most schools require a class 2 amalgam prep/filling and/or a PFM, UF asks for more. I personally got
a) MOD amal. prep on #20 (lower left 2nd premolar).
b) Class III composite prep an #8 (upper right central incisor) mesial.
c) Complex amal restoration #14 (upper left 1st molar) MODL with missing DL cusp (required to build up cusp and re-establish occlusal contacts and harmonious contours).
All excercises were carried out in a simulation lab, and teeth were mounted on a Manequin (dummy head).

Colombiadent said:
Hi, I also received the invitation for the workshop, It's a practical test, and You have to prepare a class II in # 5, a class II amalgam with cusp restoration in #15, composite in #9, and preparation for a gold crown in #19.
I've heard that you have 4 hours and if you pass they'll invite you for an iinterview.
Hello Columbia.
How are you ?
How did your FTD interview go ? Where you in group A or B ? I was in group A. Who did you interview with ?
Let me know ...
Ok, thanks.

My itinerary was as follow
Friday J.. the P.. A... was
there very early he made the coffee and answered
our questions politely.
we had a introduction by Dr C... To the Program..
We went to setup everything for the lab exercise the students that
are in the program were like big brothers and sisters
so nice They helped me to set up my unit. It was the first time I work with manikin
I got scare because I did not know how to close it mouth and one of the students took my Hans and showed me that was not a big deal.. We went back to the room and had photographs and financial Aid overview , a wonderful
Luch was served we had a Buffet delicious. The two lasagna
were so good, I ate both. Did you have lasagna too?
the salad .so fresh . They worked
hard to had every thing ready and perfect,
In the afternoon we had the lab exercise similar as you .
Saturday I had the interview It was more like a conversation with
friends Dr R... and F... they were so nice they make me felt so welcome.
Now pray for the best and wait. They have a tough decision to made
so many qualify potential dentist, including myself.
I felt Ok during the workshop. I slept at the Ramadan Hotel It was
good clean and also good breakfast. Same good luck to you.

Hey, if anyone gets any response from UF, will you please post it here.
GOOD or bad (hopefully not).
Thanks.

dgmarius said:
Hi guys I`m also from Ro.Bafta Maxima

Nevio said:
Hi guys I`m also from Ro.Bafta Maxima
hi ,Nevio
nu scapi asa de usor ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,in ce etapa esti ,cum stai cu moralul si ceva incurajari pt ceilalti nu pica rau .

adinavv said:
hi ,Nevio
nu scapi asa de usor ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,in ce etapa esti ,cum stai cu moralul si ceva incurajari pt ceilalti nu pica rau .
Cu moralul nu stau prea bine si sunt in faza de asteptare .Am dat NBDE1 in noiembrie si am aplicat la UPENN, NYU, UMN si Colorado.
Sunt din Phila si nu cunosc pe nimeni din Ro din "tagma" noastra.M-am bucurat nespus cand am vazut ca cineva de acsa mai este in aceeasi barca cu mine.
In cea ce priveste incurajari ,in momentul asta eu am nevoie de ele. :confused:

adinavv said:
hi ,Nevio
Cu moralul nu stau prea bine si sunt in faza de asteptare .Am dat NBDE1 in noiembrie si am aplicat la UPENN, NYU, UMN si Colorado.
Sunt din Phila si nu cunosc pe nimeni din Ro din "tagma" noastra.M-am bucurat nespus cand am vazut ca cineva de acsa mai este in aceeasi barca cu mine.
In ceea ce priveste incurajari ,in momentul asta eu am nevoie de ele. :confused:

Got my rejection letter last week, after the interview. It came to me as a shock ! I did very good on the tough clinical exam, and the interview couldn't have gone better ... plus I am a Florida resident ! Huh ...
Ok, here is my personal take on the UF FTD program. If you are non-Cuban/non-Columbian, you have NO chance in landing a spot on your first attempt ... period !
I know 4 people, all non-cuban/non-columbian that have told me so. They know so because they all got in on their THIRD attempt (year). No kidding. All the Cubans and Columbians I met, got in right away, even with lower boards and by doing poorly on the clinical. Go figure ...
Don't take my word for it, take a look at their class demographic ... the number of Cuban and Columbian students compared to other nationalities is ALARMING. And may I also say that it is very disproportionate to their numbers in the interview !

http://www.dental.ufl.edu/Offices/Extramural/Students/ftd_Gville_2007.html
6 from Cuba, 4 Columbia, 1 England, 1 Brazil.

Did I forget to mention that the director of the program is CUBAN ? No wonder ...
Listen, I respect all nationalities alike, but when I feel that I am being discriminated against based on my nationality, I just get all tied up.
Overall, good program, poor administration.

I also received my rejection letter, I was very sad, but I understand They can not accet everybody. I think Nationality does not give you better chance. I am from Colombia. I think next year I am going to do better
I am going to practice a lot those preparations.

Hi nilebds. sorry for your rejection from University of Florida. I can understand what you have suffered. Why don't you file a complain against discrimination to state board or applicable authority . I know this wont help you this year but hopefully it could be a big help to other friends and somebody has to do it so why dont you start that as you are the victim. This is what I would do but it is still your decision whatever you want to do. Anyway Best of luck for next time.

rojasflorida said:
I also received my rejection letter, I was very sad, but I understand They can not accet everybody. I think Nationality does not give you better chance. I am from Colombia. I think next year I am going to do better
I am going to practice a lot those preparations.
Hello Rojas.
First of all, I am deeply sorry for your ejection letter. I know how it feels, and I hope you feel better.
As for me, I am surprised that I wasn't dissapointed the least. After all I have heard on the interview day about how Cuban and Columbian applicants are preferred, I kind of left there with the notion that I had a very slim chance. I was hesitant to go to the interview inthe first place, being a certificate program. UF is right across the street from where I used to live, so I thought it may not be as bad as I thought, you know, I wouldn't have to move, same friends, ... etc.
Now, may I please ask how you did on your clinical exam, and whom you interviewed with (rm D10-11 or rm D10-35) ?
Also if you can please share your stats with me. Your board scores, GPA (ECE or WES) and experience, FL resident or not.
I also am afraid to say that your rejection has not deterred my mind set about the program. It is just common sense to think so about the program after all I have learned about it's administration, and having done my research about the program and student body statistics.
Anyways, It was nice hearing from you again, and I truly wish you the best of luck. Didn't you also have an interview for the 4 yr DMD program ?
Regardless, I would like to tell you that you have GREAT chance next year. I am not trying to make you feel better. You do ! Being from Columbia, and a re-applicant. Please believe me. I am sincere.
Good luck !

drpatell said:
Hi nilebds. sorry for your rejection from University of Florida. I can understand what you have suffered. Why don't you file a complain against discrimination to state board or applicable authority . I know this wont help you this year but hopefully it could be a big help to other friends and somebody has to do it so why dont you start that as you are the victim. This is what I would do but it is still your decision whatever you want to do. Anyway Best of luck for next time.
Thank you very much Dr. Patell for your obvious concern and helping hand.
I appreciate it.
Well, I don't even know if I feel like applying their next year either, but as you said, I am doing this for future colleges who ever decide to apply there. It is an excellent program by the way, please don't get me wrong.
I was thinking of a more local resolution first, as state boards take too long, and usually don't tackle the problem from it's root. Bureaucracy.
I was thinking of going straight to the director of the program, and copying the letter directly to the dean of admissions/dean of College of Dentistry.
Alright, let me know what you thinkand once more, I appreciate your support.
This is a very important issue from my standpoint, and frankly, for all of us, being foreign grads. Something like this, is unacceptable to me.
Thank you.

What the F***? I can't keep my mouth shut in this one. And you know I wouldn't.

There's 75% Indians in UOP. The same goes for UCSF, the same goes though out all the other schools and no one says anything.

There's a few Hispanics in ONE school and suddenly there's claim of discrimination. What the heck???????

Talk about fairness to the number of Spanish, Chinese, Vietnamese, etc speaking patients out there in underserved communities, that don't have doctors that understand their language, let alone culture.

California and Florida are some of the states with the highest numbers of minorites in its population and yet chronically underepresented in dental schools.

The one state where Hispanics are actually taken into account and given enough credit to be admitted into school. To, by the way, treat Hispanic patients, and you claim unfairness.

Talk about unfairness to the Vietnamese, Filipinos, Chinese, Eastern Europeans, Hispanics dentist applying to school in CA, to eventually treat their own ethnic group (which is badly needed here in CA) and not getting in because there's 75% Indians in school. That's unfair!!!!

All though all dental schools with International Dental Programs what is badly needed is diversity. UPenn has the best practical and realistic admission policy, aprox. 1/4 of the class with the same nationality.

Now, I know you're Egyptian and that your language and cultural skills can be greatly used and appreciated in the community. And I know you didn't mean to offend or infuriate me. Sorry if I do the same to you. But when I read this kind of stuff, knowing the amount of hard working dentist out there beign discriminated against you know whom, it simply pisses me off!!

By the way, I'm neither Cuban nor Colombian.

Have a good night.

drpatell said:

NileBDS said:
Got my rejection letter last week, after the interview. It came to me as a shock ! I did very good on the tough clinical exam, and the interview couldn't have gone better ... plus I am a Florida resident ! Huh ...
Ok, here is my personal take on the UF FTD program. If you are non-Cuban/non-Columbian, you have NO chance in landing a spot on your first attempt ... period !
I know 4 people, all non-cuban/non-columbian that have told me so. They know so because they all got in on their THIRD attempt (year). No kidding. All the Cubans and Columbians I met, got in right away, even with lower boards and by doing poorly on the clinical. Go figure ...
Don't take my word for it, take a look at their class demographic ... the number of Cuban and Columbian students compared to other nationalities is ALARMING. And may I also say that it is very disproportionate to their numbers in the interview !

http://www.dental.ufl.edu/Offices/Extramural/Students/ftd_Gville_2007.html
6 from Cuba, 4 Columbia, 1 England, 1 Brazil.

Did I forget to mention that the director of the program is CUBAN ? No wonder ...
Listen, I respect all nationalities alike, but when I feel that I am being discriminated against based on my nationality, I just get all tied up.
Overall, good program, poor administration.