University of Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just had to post this...

I had a look at the class composite at UF program, and all I have to say about that Brazilian dentist is.. simply whoa! She's hot. Caliente!!!

Keep on trying!

Members don't see this ad.

Meggs: You have said it all.... :thumbup:

Hey Rojas florida: Lamento mucho lo de la carta...De todas maneras recuerda:" Para atras ni para coger impulso"....Yo tambien soy de Colombia, de Bogota para ser mas exactos y vivo en Florida pero nunca me he presentado en Gainesville....Si quieres me puedes enviar un e mail a [email protected]. (Trate de enviar un private message pero por alguna razon no pude asi que me toco poner esto como post....) Bueno, mucha suerte y ojala nos podamos seguir comunicando....

Members don't see this ad :)
elto said:
Hey Rojas florida: Lamento mucho lo de la carta...De todas maneras recuerda:" Para atras ni para coger impulso"....Yo tambien soy de Colombia, de Bogota para ser mas exactos y vivo en Florida pero nunca me he presentado en Gainesville....Si quieres me puedes enviar un e mail a [email protected]. (Trate de enviar un private message pero por alguna razon no pude asi que me toco poner esto como post....) Bueno, mucha suerte y ojala nos podamos seguir comunicando....
Somehow I'm not surprised that you side with Megan. :laugh:
Have you been to the UF FTD interview also "elto" ?

Meggs said:
What the F***? I can't keep my mouth shut in this one. And you know I wouldn't.
By the way, I'm neither Cuban nor Colombian.
Have a good night.

Whoa ... did I touch a nerve there? I feel like I just stumbled into a land mine field.
First of all, let's exhale ... aaaaah … ok, much better.
Sorry MEGGS if I offended you by feeling discriminated against, if that makes any sense ...
Do I really have to justify to you why I feel that my application has been handled unfairly?
Perhaps not, but I will.

Now, just to clarify ... the number of South Asian (Indian) nationals in California schools, is DIRECTLY proportionate to their numbers (or immigrants for that purpose) in that respective population, i.e.; California. Their numbers are also reflective of the number of applicants to those same schools, and consequently, interviewees. So as you see, there is a harmony there. No one is upset. This is in contrary to University of Florida’s application/interviewee pool.

You missed my point. I am not upset about the bewildering number of Hispanic (Columbian and Cuban to be specific) students in the FTD program, but rather the equal opportunity placement. It is a matter of HOW, rather than WHY.

Now I don't want to get into this whole debate about demographics, since I can not summon my years of experience to you in these lines.
However, what I can say is that I am a Florida resident, and have been for the past 3 years. I also happen to live in Gainesville. Yes, right across from University of Florida, and its College of Dentistry. Literally. My regular running path happens to be right across from Shands Hospital. Anyways, I have a pretty good idea about how the gears over there come together. I also have volunteered there, worked in the office of a faculty member for a little bit more than a year and a close friend of mine happens to be a UF DMD graduate, as were two of my employers.
Having said that, I am sure that I have more insight on this issue than you MEGGS, and can say that I speak from a standpoint of personal experience.

Florida has plenty Hispanic doctors, let alone fluent Spanish conversationists to adequately serve their respective communities. I see no necessity in recruiting Cuban and/or Columbian NATIVES for that task in particular, especially when it would compromise someone else’s fair chance.
As I mentioned before, I am not speculating. This is a very valid issue, and it is staring us right in the eye. Now I can talk on first hand basis about it. It happened to me, it happened to 3 other people (that are actually in the program now) and it happened to 2 other interviewees in my batch. What a “coincidence”, huh?

If you want to get into a discussion about how different minorities are under represented,
then you have the wrong guy, and probably the wrong thread.

It would also not come as a surprise to me if you spoke Spanish. Not that I mean anything, at all, but again, I feel like this complaint hit home with you, and it feels like you are talking from a personal perspective too.

I honor your point of view, but did not appreciate your choice of vulgar words and hostile tone.

I believe this message also belongs to you ... I don't know why I just wasted all that time trying to explain my reasoning to you. Had I known this about you ahead of time, I would have just let it go.

Originally Posted by gerido
gerido said:
I think Meggs is being a b*tch. Either he/she is trying to say that you're lucky to be in the US or that you're lucky to even have a job. He/she probably feel a superior complex to be US citizen/resident. like i said, b*tch

Reply by MEGGS
MEGGS said:
Yes I am , a big one by the way, and proud of it. But I'm also realistic and have my feet of the ground...

Hi guys! I am from Romania, too. Good luck with your applications! :thumbup: