University of Glasglow vet student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indiegirl

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The only person I know of on SDN is Cindy. She should pop on this thread eventually and is very in the know about Glasgow. She kept a blog throughout her time at Glasgow, its www.all-animals.net and is very good!

Anyone attending or planning to attend vet school in the university of glasglow? can i ask you a few questions about the school? cost of living? etc.
thanks,
indiegirl

Heya
I'm planning to apply there! I don't know a huge amount about it as i live in Bristol (south england), but i'll have a go at answering any questions! I'm not promising to be able to answer them though!
:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am an alumna of the University of Glasgow. I attended the entire 5 year vet school course there, graduating July 1, 2006.

Do you have any specific questions that I didn't answer on the other forum?

I am going to the University of Glasgow this fall. I too am trying to find out this information. From what I have found, because the dollar is so weak right now, it's going to be pretty expensive for us! I am estimating about $250,000 in debt. I am not sure how I will manage this one yet!

I am $194000 in debt and I estimate my loan payments will be about $1900-2000/month. To be able to live, I need to make $75000/year minimum! That kind of narrows down the jobs you can consider. Yes - I have consolidated. Only my federal loans (Staffords) because I haven't found any benefit to consolidating my private loans at this point. My loans are in deferment or forebearance right now.

birdvet2006
"I am $194000 in debt and I estimate my loan payments will be about $1900-2000/month. To be able to live, I need to make $75000/year minimum! That kind of narrows down the jobs you can consider. Yes - I have consolidated. Only my federal loans (Staffords) because I haven't found any benefit to consolidating my private loans at this point. My loans are in deferment or forebearance right now.

That's about what I figured it would be! It's scary! Did you work at all during the 5 years? I want to do everything possible to minimize my debt! I am also an EU citizen too, but I don't think that matters! I am visiting Glasgow in 2 weeks. You have a 10 year loan, right? I was hoping to travel and not be too serious when I graduate from Glasgow, but it doesn't look like I will have that option. :(

I am $194000 in debt and I estimate my loan payments will be about $1900-2000/month. To be able to live, I need to make $75000/year minimum! That kind of narrows down the jobs you can consider. Yes - I have consolidated. Only my federal loans (Staffords) because I haven't found any benefit to consolidating my private loans at this point. My loans are in deferment or forebearance right now.

Dr. Birdvet will you be pursuing a residency when you have completed your internship? If so, what field are you interested in?

What is the pay range for graduates who have just completed an internship?

Nope, my loans will be financed over 25-30 years. Not 10 years! The payments would be much higher than $2000/mo. if I did it over 10 years. This is literally like a house mortgage.

I applied for a residency this year and did not match. But there were very few spots offered this year. After thinking about my debt, I may change my mind about applying for a residency next year...postponing your loans means making your payments increase, and I am not sure that is a good idea.

Luckily, the avian board (American Board of Veterinary Practitioners) allows an "alternative route" where you can still become board certified without a residency. Instead, you have to see a large % of birds (at least 20 birds/week) and document every case you see. And do 2 case-reports, and pass the board exams. So it's possible and maybe will be cheaper for me in the long run.

I am looking for jobs right now. I have one at the top of my list, but anything can happen...

My parents agreed to pay for the first four years of my education, and since I'm a junior I still get next year for free. My question is...do you think it would be better for me to talk them into paying my living expenses for all 5 years and I'll pay tuition for all 5 years, or do you think them paying for tuition and living expenses for 1 year would be cheaper for me in the long run?

Ratbandit,
I guess you have to calculate it out. I estimated the first year to cost around $48,000 between tuition and living expenses. That is, the dollar is so poor compared to the pound so lets just assume the worst! Assuming it continues this way, being that the tuition is always around $32,000 and living expenses, lets say, is around $16,000, than it would probably be better to have them pay for the living expenses for the 5 years, and taking out loans for the tuition! And by the way, I got the $16,000 living expenses figure from Glasgow. They said allow about $8,000 pounds per year for living expenses. My parents agreed to loan me about half the money for living expenses, and I will pay them back when I am finished, as to avoid the interest rates of loans! But either way, I still owe money when I finish! See ya this fall!:luck:

Hello Everyone!

I just wanted to try and make this forum live again! :)

Hello Everyone!

I just wanted to try and make this forum live again! :)

How's it going? Enjoying the boring, slow curriculum so far? :) I bet you haven't even had a "real" lecture yet. But warning: "This is a protein..." or "this is a sheep..." (yawn). There's plenty of time for fun at least.