University of Hartford & MSPP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Student4Life0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to the forums, so forgive me if I am asking a question that has been answered before! I searched the forums for information regarding the University of Hartford's Psyd program, but found very little.

Just a bit of background...I am currently a masters student in clinical psychology. Just finished my first year and am starting my practicum this summer (very excited!)

I will be applying to Psyd programs in the winter, and am working on my list of schools. Based on what I have read on these forums, I would rather go to a University based program (cheaper than professional schools from what I have seen), and would prefer to stay away from a program whose main theoretical orientation is psychodynamic.

I will be applying to the University of Hartford & MSPP (among others) and am wondering if anyone can tell me about Uha? Good or bad experiences? Also, I have heard that MSPP is very psychodynamically oriented..does anybody know if this is true?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I went to an informational session at MSPP over a year ago, and got a feel that the faculty had a lean towards psychodynamic theories and practices. After talking to a student at the info session, he reflected that over his four years in the program he found this psychodynamic lean to be evident, but also stated that there are faculty members that have diverse theoretical orientations. He claimed that he was focused on quantitative research and cognitive approaches, so I guess it is all based on what course material and what practicum sites you choose.

I went to an informational session at MSPP over a year ago, and got a feel that the faculty had a lean towards psychodynamic theories and practices. After talking to a student at the info session, he reflected that over his four years in the program he found this psychodynamic lean to be evident, but also stated that there are faculty members that have diverse theoretical orientations. He claimed that he was focused on quantitative research and cognitive approaches, so I guess it is all based on what course material and what practicum sites you choose.

Thanks for the advice! I checked out the website and the required courses, and it seems that there is an even balance of different orientations. I would also focus on cognitive & behavioral approaches, as well as quantitative research. As far as programs go, I am sure there are better fits for me..but I need to get my damn GRE scores up! Just bought some new study materials...

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to MSPP and I am was able to obtain an APA internship as well as an APA post-doc in clinical neuropsychology. It definitely is a psychodynamic lean, but there is certainly fair representation of theoretical orientations and a wide acceptance for individual interests and the development of one's own professional identity. PM with questions if you want.

I will be a 2nd year at UHa this year and I am having a great experience! I'd be happy to answer any questions about the program/application process. Feel free to PM me :).

Hi,
I was just accepted into the Clinical Psych PsyD program at MSPP and am very interested in doing the APA internship, APA post-doc route in clinical neuropsychology. I am wondering if you have any advice on what practicum sites to apply to if this is the route I want to take.

Thanks!

UH turns out some excellent students. Look at cost, class and cohort sizes, and Match rates...and funding records