University of Hartford / PsyD in Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sandy4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there!

I would like to get some input about the PsyD program in Clinical Psychology at the University of Hartford from current graduate students in the program, or from students who were enrolled in the program in the past.What do/did you like and not like about the program? What is the coursework like, level of expectations, quality of education, academic rigor? What are your thoughts on the tuition, as compared to other PsyD programs?

Also, are there good opportunities for research? I am searching for a PsyD program that is more research heavy. My reason for this is that I am from Ontario, Canada and Ontario seems to be very "researchy". Eventually I would like to return to Ontario to practice so I think that building on my research experience/skills would be good, especially when faced with PhD competitors.

This said, is there anybody out there who has gotten their PsyD and gone back to Canada to work? What opportunities are there for a PsyD psychologist in Ontario/Canada in general? Are they looked down upon when compared to PhD job candiates?

Any feedback is appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Did you go to U Hart. I got accepted but each not sure about them

This is not based on personal experience, but I know (not well, though) two people who graduated from there and one who is about to graduate. All were really happy with their education and thought they were well rounded clinicians (obviously, that's very subjective and I am not a point in my career where I can judge their skills). Their match rates are decent but their tuition is relatively low ("only" about $23k). Keep in mind that CT is a fairly expensive place to live unless you live in the ghetto.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard that but I'm from NY so expensive to someone else doesn't seem that pricey to me. I was looking at one bedroom apts for 700 with everything and that's a dream coming from NY. They do not have an on site clinic for training and rumors has it that their grads aren't great or confident or competitive in comparison when it comes to actually working in clinical settings during internships. One supervisor said that a grad seemed u prepared. That's a major concern for me but the price is a steal when you think of other programs

24K is pretty ugly but I'm struggling finding much info on funding. Looks like students get $2,800/year for internships plus GAs may be available but I can't find any info on what that means exactly.

I'd consider anything that leaves you with >50k debt when you factor in tuition and living expenses a bad deal when it comes to grad school in psych.
What other choice do you have? I graduated with 3.8 gpa, but for whatever reason, it wasn't good enough to get into a funded program. If I want to get into psych, I have to break the bank.

If our options are to break the bank or abandon our goals, there is no choice. The schools and banks have us by the balls. There's nothing we can do.

What other choice do you have? I graduated with 3.8 gpa, but for whatever reason, it wasn't good enough to get into a funded program. If I want to get into psych, I have to break the bank.

If our options are to break the bank or abandon our goals, there is no choice. The schools and banks have us by the balls. There's nothing we can do.

I think our only options are to get into funded or semi-funded programs. They are few and far between but they exist. You could also try to work while in school and pay off loans as you go. This is the route I'm shooting for. But a huge majority, probably including myself, will walk away with a good bit of debt.

Also, I'm assuming that clinical experience is a huge factor in getting into funded/semi-funded programs.

Plenty of choices. a lot of people go to grad school and accrue 0 in debt. GPA is not the be all end all, it's actually only a gatekeeper at most places. It's the ancillary measures that matter more (GRE, lab experience). Also, fit, does where you are applying make sense? And can you make that story coherent. Plenty of people also apply more than one year.

There is never nothing that you can do, there is always a choice.

Reactions: 1 user
Plenty of choices. a lot of people go to grad school and accrue 0 in debt. GPA is not the be all end all, it's actually only a gatekeeper at most places. It's the ancillary measures that matter more (GRE, lab experience). Also, fit, does where you are applying make sense? And can you make that story coherent. Plenty of people also apply more than one year.

There is never nothing that you can do, there is always a choice.
Either you can get into a funded program, or you can't. Those are your options. Not everyone can.

I did all those things. I have research experience including double blind clinical trial work, I spent an entire year prepping for my GRE with classes and books, research on places that are a good fit and match... e-mailed back and forth with professors. I applied and was rejected for all the schools that would offer funding.

I'm not trying to be a defeatist nor am I trying to be a whiner, but I think it is pretty Disney to say that everyone can get into a funded program. $150,000 is simply the entry price for the career I want. I've accepted that.

I'm 31. I could spend the next 3 or 4 years pumping gasoline (since there isn't much you can do with a BA in psych), scratching for more postbacc experience or that extra 5 points on GRE, wasting money I don't have applying to colleges and failing until my recency runs out in classes and I have to retake them again.... or I can move forward with debt. There is no choice.

If you can or did in the past, fantastic! I am happy and extremely jealous that you have that opportunity! Some of us aren't so lucky. Not bitter, that's just the way of the world.

150K is on the very high end of debt according to the latest graduate school surveys. I understand that some people are going to make that choice. But potential applicants should never think that is the norm. That misconception just perpetuates some of the predatory practices going on.

150K is on the very high end of debt according to the latest graduate school surveys. I understand that some people are going to make that choice. But potential applicants should never think that is the norm. That misconception just perpetuates some of the predatory practices going on.
As long as there are more people wanting to be psychologists than there are funded psychologist positions at universities, there will be high-debt options to pick up the slack. I'm not sure how that's a misconception. 600 people are often applying to a university for only 8 positions.

...but let's say you're right. $150K isn't the norm, and I agree it's an absurd amount of money to have to spend. That doesn't change the fact that there's a huge increase you have to pay once a funded program isn't an option. If you're at that critical percentile, I see no other option. Even had I gotten into University of Oregon, my tuition would have been $30,000/year assuming no remission. That's right in line with what I'll be paying for my PsyD.

Again, I'm not bitter, and I admit I may be absolutely wrong. Without basically saying "work harder to get into a funded program" please tell me how someone not in a funded program can get out of college with a doctoral degree without approaching $100K in debt? Especially if living at home with parents is not an option. I just don't see it.

I know I'm right about the 150k figure. The APA releases a salary survey that also includes debt figures every now and then.

And, like I said, it is a choice that I know some people will make. I see it as a detriment to our profession, especially seeing that there is no shortage of psychologists, rather a glut in many areas. It's an option, but now one that I have to agree with, and something I will actively advise against for the betterment of our profession. I honestly hope you're one of the coin flip at Pacific that matches and has a decent chance at jobs, but I feel bad for the 50% that do not and have a very difficult time paying off that debt.

I know I'm right about the 150k figure. The APA releases a salary survey that also includes debt figures every now and then.

And, like I said, it is a choice that I know some people will make. I see it as a detriment to our profession, especially seeing that there is no shortage of psychologists, rather a glut in many areas. It's an option, but now one that I have to agree with, and something I will actively advise against for the betterment of our profession. I honestly hope you're one of the coin flip at Pacific that matches and has a decent chance at jobs, but I feel bad for the 50% that do not and have a very difficult time paying off that debt.

I plan on making the most of my education, so I'm confident I will be.

I can see how advising people in unfunded programs would be better for the profession if you're already in the profession, but what about the people now coming up? You're already there. I'm not. It seems like you're looking at the problem from above and I'm looking at it from below, and we have two different opinions on it is all. We're probably both right and that's what makes the situation so crappy.

I always encourage people to be cautious of tremendous student loan debt, which I consider about $100k +. The amount of debt one can accrue in a doctoral programs in clinical psychology can be untenable, especially when you consider the earning prospects for psychologists (i.e., look at average salary data by APA). PhD/PsyD programs are not like attending like medical school where the earning potential is far greater. I am a pragmatist, so I think this is something people need to look at it very closesly.

The other thing I think that is worth considering is where you want to be in your life, in terms of personal things like family, kids, home ownership, etc. It is hard to predict when you may be pursuing things, but the impact of debt can be overbearing.

I plan on making the most of my education, so I'm confident I will be.

I can see how advising people in unfunded programs would be better for the profession if you're already in the profession, but what about the people now coming up? You're already there. I'm not. It seems like you're looking at the problem from above and I'm looking at it from below, and we have two different opinions on it is all. We're probably both right and that's what makes the situation so crappy.

This is not at all to be facetious, but there is always the option of choosing another career path as well. It's certainly not ideal in most folks' minds, but it's an option, especially considering (and this is of course anecdotal) that probably only about half of the folks I know work in a field that's even tangentially related to their college degree.

In my own case, it took me two application cycles to get in, and the second time around was from a wait list. Had that not happened, I'd strongly considered cutting my losses and moving on to something else.

This is not at all to be facetious, but there is always the option of choosing another career path as well. It's certainly not ideal in most folks' minds, but it's an option, especially considering (and this is of course anecdotal) that probably only about half of the folks I know work in a field that's even tangentially related to their college degree.

In my own case, it took me two application cycles to get in, and the second time around was from a wait list. Had that not happened, I'd strongly considered cutting my losses and moving on to something else.

I hear you. I wish I went on another path and got my undergrad in something more marketable before going into psychology. I feel like I'm all in... which is fine. This is what I want to do. ...and I have specific goals and wants in my future career and this is my only opportunity to see them. If all I wanted was return on academic investment, I'd have gone into nursing where you can make near 6-figures in California with an Associate's degree or I'd bang my head against a computer until I understand software engineering and make 6-figures with just my HS diploma. ...but I don't want to do any of those things.

I get that money is a factor and I definitely appreciate the advice. I want to hear all perspectives! I'm not saying cost doesn't mean anything. It is important. ...and if I wasn't looking at working at Safeway for minimum wage with my BA for year and years while I do something else, I'd think about it more seriously. I'm 31, and I have no kids and I've already given up on the prospect of ever owning a home (especially at San Francisco bay area prices). I'm not expecting to be rich. Even if I'm living off $30,000/year after paying off loans, that sucks, but I'm okay with that because I'll be in a job with upward and lateral mobility and, if I'm fortunate enough to set up a private practice, I can run my own business. That's my goal, that's what I want to do, and I have an opportunity to see it through right now. The opportunity is not guaranteed in the future and I don't want to pass it up.

There are a few PsyD programs in Canada I believe? A couple in Quebec, one in Newfoundland, and one in BC?