university of hawaii acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigapple

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm an out of stater who interviewed at hawaii back in january, and was told that since there are only like 6 out of state spaces (and 70 out of state interviews), it would be difficult to receive an acceptance there. i'm defintely not banking on it, but i am curious about whether there is a separate waitlist for out of state kids?

can anybody who interviewed there from out of state (rejected or interviewed) tell me some stats?

Members don't see this ad.

I was considered out-of-state last year, despite meeting 3 of their "priority" criteria (3.65 overall, 39Q MCAT). Waitlisted, didn't get in. I'm considered in-state this year because of a change in their criteria; still waiting to hear.

Oops, sorry- my stats weren't part of the 3 criteria :)

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, what residency criteria changed to make you a resident? Just curious. I applied this year too, 3.7/33R but haven't heard a peep (out of stater). I know they usually stick to their guns, when they say they won't send any decision letters until mid-april. although i heard someone else on this board already got a thumbs-down from UH.

does anyone know when UH will be sending out decisions this year? Is it the third week of April or May 1?

Originally posted by tumbles01
does anyone know when UH will be sending out decisions this year? Is it the third week of April or May 1?

Count on it being in May. I'm a reapplicant there, and they took forever last year.

i'm a reapplicant too. i hope i get in this time around.

i'm a reapplicant too. i hope i get in this time around.

so are you planning to go to hawaii if you get in? are you in state?
i really want to get into hawaii, but for the six available spots they have, i know that's probably not going to happen. but if out of staters need to be so qualified to get an interview in the first place, wouldn't they normally choose a better ranked school on the mainland over hawaii (hence lots of waitlist movement)?

Originally posted by bigapple
so are you planning to go to hawaii if you get in? are you in state?
i really want to get into hawaii, but for the six available spots they have, i know that's probably not going to happen. but if out of staters need to be so qualified to get an interview in the first place, wouldn't they normally choose a better ranked school on the mainland over hawaii (hence lots of waitlist movement)?

Hey bigapple-

Just wondering, where did you get the number that there are six out of state spots? Did Izutsu tell you that? Just curious, I hadn't heard that before (I'm in-state, BTW).

My situation is kinda funny- I applied only to UH last year because I was so convinced I wanted to go there that I was willing to sacrifice a year and reapply if I didn't get in (was waitlisted and obviously not accepted). Now this year after applying the shotgun method and seeing different schools, it's no longer my number one choice.

Just wondering, what about it makes it your number one choice? Best of luck in your application.

Originally posted by Hawaiian Bruin
Hey bigapple-

Just wondering, where did you get the number that there are six out of state spots? Did Izutsu tell you that? Just curious, I hadn't heard that before (I'm in-state, BTW).

My situation is kinda funny- I applied only to UH last year because I was so convinced I wanted to go there that I was willing to sacrifice a year and reapply if I didn't get in (was waitlisted and obviously not accepted). Now this year after applying the shotgun method and seeing different schools, it's no longer my number one choice.

Just wondering, what about it makes it your number one choice? Best of luck in your application.

hey hawaiian bruin

well, it's like my number two...and mostly because it is one of the few interviews i've had where i actually enjoyed my interaction with the faculty and students (which means a lot to me). the six positions i had mentioned in my previous email was something that izutsu had told me at the beginning of my appointment--apparently ~70 out of state students are asked to interview for six or seven spots...which makes sense to me, since the class size is about 50. izutsu told me very frankly that my chances (or any out-of-staters', for that matter) were pretty slim for an acceptance, so hence my preoccupation with the waitlist movement....

hey bigapple,

i was waitlisted the last time at UH as well and did not get accepted off the waitlist. i believe it's because many people that apply to UH want to go there, so there isn't a lot of movement when it comes to the waitlist. good luck to you!

hey hawaiian bruin,

what other schools have you interviewed/accepted at? so you wouldn't go to UH if you got in? it's great if you've got other options to weigh out too!

hey hawaiian bruin,

what other schools have you interviewed/accepted at? so you wouldn't go to UH if you got in? it's great if you've got other options to weigh out too!

I've been waitlisted at Tulane and Drexel, and Tulane is my number one choice. I've written a letter of intent to them, which means if I get in there, I'm going. They have a bunch of features I really like- their teaching hospitals are REALLY good, they have an MD/MPH program in 4 years, you can do rotations in the Carribean, and they have an emergency medicine interest group (EM is what I want to do, but we'll see if I change my mind). Just my personal reasons.

I know a bunch of high school classmates that are students at UH now, and they like it OK. There's definitely good points and bad points to the school. Biggest pro: it's home sweet home!