University of Hawaii anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

askew01

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like no one on SDN has mentioned anything about UH...wonder why that is.....why is it?

Members don't see this ad.

the word is that they dont take anyone who isnt a resident nor anyone who does not have ties with the state

Originally posted by kmnfive
the word is that they dont take anyone who isnt a resident nor anyone who does not have ties with the state

If they did, we would all be there looking for hula girls. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't really consider UH because I was under the impression that they don't like non-residents, and I had a bad experience with them as an undergrad. I wanted to transfer to UH from my school (University of Alaska Fairbanks) because I was getting really sick of living in the same place for twenty years--and the hula girls also gave some incentive. I got accepted just fine, but their financial aid office was incredibly helpful. It was like they didn't give a crap about their students at all. I just gave up and stayed at home.

I got rejected from them yesterday. :D
I'm not a resident or connected to Hawaii in any way but I thought it was worth a shot.

They do take out-of-staters, but only about 5 or 6 per year (total class size = 62). They set MUCH higher standards for out-of-staters (considering their avg. GPA in-state was ~3.4 to 3.5). I'm applying because my fiance wants to go to grad school there. They sent me the essay secondary, and then they sent me the pre-req class list thing. I'm wondering why they didn't send the two together? Seems like they could have saved some postage...

I'm assuming they pre-screen, and should therefore be happy that I got a secondary?
How's the reputation at UH? I heard they recently built a new medical facility....

I know that they pre-screen out of state applicants so be glad that you got a secondary from UH!!!! Congrats and good luck!!!

:D

UofH you need to be either a really strong applicant, a resident, or connections/some sort of tie with Hawaii and the school. Start donating guys!! =)

ROFL, I don't really have any strong connections to Hawaii, except for the strong desire to learn how to surf....haha I'll see how it goes...

I went to UH for a year before getting married and moving to San Diego. My father was in the Air Force so I was considered a local resident. They really try to get every qualified resident into a position before opening up to anyone else.

Originally posted by askew01
ROFL, I don't really have any strong connections to Hawaii, except for the strong desire to learn how to surf....haha I'll see how it goes...

My mother-in-law still lives there (on Oahu) so I've got an in.

Can I join your family, thewzdoc?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can I join your family, thewzdoc?

Sure...you know how Hawaiian's are about family...the more the better.

You gatta learn to grind braddah......or you'll be considered a haole.

You also have to learn to speak Pidgin

You should hear my wife when she is pissed?..no English just Pidgin?.

My mother-in-law goes by Tutu so when you get there say hi. A lot of my local friends asked me to say hi to such and such when I get back to the mainland. I?d ask where they live. The answers were ?Washington, Kentucky and such?. I?d tell them I?m going to San Diego in California. They?d say ?Dats not close brah???..

Haha, I'm asian so I can't be haole. Are you in SD? I'm in LA, brah

Haha, I'm asian so I can't be haole. Are you in SD? I'm in LA, brah

Actually anyone that is not local is haole...it doesn't mean white.

I'm in San Diego. Man is it tough living here!:clap:

:) Hapa wahine here.

Do you think that they take into consideration strong reasons for becoming a Hawaiian resident in the future?? I mean, it will SUCK if I have to live thousands of miles away from my husband when we get married, and I really want him to finish his PhD.

Not that it will ever come up, but if they ask me about my family still there, do you think I should mention that my uncle is a prof at UH or not?? I mean, I want to be truthful, but I'd hate to sound like a complete tool, dropping names.

Hey, I'm in San Diego too!! If you ever feel like commiserating about the app process, email me at [email protected]

Originally posted by lessismoe
Hey, I'm in San Diego too!! If you ever feel like commiserating about the app process, email me at [email protected]

Cool! Drop me an email [email protected]....I know it?s in my sig but just in case you missed it.

I'd talk to my Uncle, regarding the application process. If he is really cool maybe he can help you out as only an insider can.

Originally posted by thewzdoc
They really try to get every qualified resident into a position before opening up to anyone else.

That's not true. If you're out of state and make it past the first screening (which is hard to do), you're evaluated on practically equal footing as residents.

If anyone has any questions about UH, their version of the application process or about what it's like to go to school there, feel free to PM me. I'm a seasoned veteran of applying there, and have friends that go there (I'm from Oahu).

Originally posted by Hawaiian Bruin
That's not true. If you're out of state and make it past the first screening (which is hard to do), you're evaluated on practically equal footing as residents.

If anyone has any questions about UH, their version of the application process or about what it's like to go to school there, feel free to PM me. I'm a seasoned veteran of applying there, and have friends that go there (I'm from Oahu).

Maybe I assumed too much but it seemed that most of my local friends had no problem getting in and there were very few people from anywhere else there. (Note this is not referring to the Medical School...it is not easy!)

My wife is from Oahu too. She lived near Stadium in Aiea. We both graduated from Radford High School.

It must be a Big Island thing, but I swear Haole meant white...............

It must be a Big Island thing, but I swear Haole meant white...............

Haole originally did refer to any foreigner, but evolved to refer only to white people.

Originally posted by Hawaiian Bruin
Haole originally did refer to any foreigner, but evolved to refer only to white people.

My wife claims this too.....what's she know she only grewup there....

Hmmmm.. well, I have my fingers crossed for University of Hawaii.. have a few inside tracks there.

hey all. i don't know many people in our class who didn't live here first, except for the students from montana/wyoiming who came thru the Wiche program. i think they really like students who will stay here to practice, especially to serve poor areas.

the school is Pbl-based so classes are really cooperative, which i like. and even tho primary care is focussed on, u aren't forced to do it. i guess if ur from out of state, try and be sure to say why u want to come here, and talk about ur background too. good luck, msg me if u interview.

So Bikini Princess, would saying I lived there multiple times be good?

I used to live in Hawaii when I was younger and then during Desert Storm I lived there again for a year as we were evacuated out of the Embassy.

I have timeshare there if it helps :-D

I'm at UH undergrad right now, and I've noticed that they are really partial to instate applicants for medschool. And yeah the brand new medical school will be opening fall 2005, and supposedly it's going to be pretty advanced. There are also rumors of an equally large pharmaceutical research center to be opened up by all private donors. So hopefully that'll work out too.

Hey,

I am glad to see this thread! I thought I was the only one out there applying to UH. I posted that I got a secondary from Hawaii out-of-state on the secondary thread. Anyway, I was pretty stoked to get the secondary and then I also got the sheet about my science classes. I don't have too many ties to the state, just some aunts/uncles/cousins, and have never lived there. But I am very interested in community medicine, especially with the underserved, and the PBL-based curriculum. So I figure it is a long shot in the dark to get in out-of-state but the school sounded like such a good fit for my interests that I figured why not give it a shot. Plus, even if I could just get to the interview it would be hella cool to have an excuse to visit for a few days :)

Anyway, for those who applied or know others who have, what is their timeline for interviews, esp for out-of-state? Thanks!

I don't know about you guys, but my secondary by mail. Are you guys gonna type your stuff out (particularly the essays) or you gonna hand write it?

I don't know about you guys, but my secondary by mail. Are you guys gonna type your stuff out (particularly the essays) or you gonna hand write it?

I typed out the secondary essays and mailed them back. Then, they later sent me the list to verify my science prereqs. I just hand wrote the classes onto the list.

To those applying for entrance in 2004, if you guys don't mind please post your stats (MCAT, science/cum. GPA, Place of residence):

askew01: 32O, 3.66/3.68, Los Angeles

33P, 3.6/3.48, San Diego

I got the secondary essay form by snail mail, sent it back, and then got the class prereq list by snail mail a couple weeks later. I typed the essay, but I just wrote out my classes-- I hope that was okay.

I am SO nervous about when I'll find out about the interview. This is going to be a CRAZY year for me; I'm currently planning my WEDDING!! So, if I get an interview around the turn of the year, I'll have to wait until ~ May to find out if I get in, and then my wedding is in June, and then UH starts in July.... AACCKK!! Deep breaths..... deep breaths....

I just hope I don't have to repeatedly tell everyone at the wedding that I didn't get in anywhere.... ugh...

Haha, congrats on the marriage thing. Aren't you scared about taking such a big leap when you've got so many more obstacles ahead of you?

according to a sheet my pre-med advisor gave me, UH admits 90.3% of in-state students. this is actually a lot better than a lot of the other state schools. there are nine that accept 100% in-state students. pm me if you want info on any other schools.

laura :)

I got an interview invite about a week or so after I turned in that prereq sheet. I haven't set the date for the interview yet though. Most likely it'll be in decemeber when I go back for winter break since UH isn't rolling. Oh, and they asked for LOR at the same time. Hope that helps. Good luck everyone.

(33Q, ?/3.89, Honolulu)

hi askew01, thanks!! Yeah, I know it seems like a big step to a lot of people... For the rest of you that aren't at this stage yet (yeesh, I turn 23 today and I sound old), when you seriously think about getting married, if you are really ready for it, it won't seem like a big deal at all. It would honestly be a bigger hassle to NOT get married at this point, since we want to live together and my family is old-fashioned. We're both going to be going to school for a while, and probably will study together. We're not planning on having kids or anything soon.

Can anyone tell me how hard it is to find a rental in Hawaii that allows dogs? And for that matter, how expensive will a 1 bedroom apartment be?? (Expensive, I know)

Oh, and WOW sadame!! What awesome stats!! You definitely deserved that interview; best of luck!!

Does anyone know where I can find physician demographics for Hawaii (distribution and specialties)?

Thanks

To those applying for entrance in 2004, if you guys don't mind please post your stats (MCAT, science/cum. GPA, Place of residence):

askew01: 32O, 3.66/3.68, Los Angeles

I'm glad to keep seeing this thread at the top when I come on here :) my stats: 29R, 3.95/3.98, San Francisco.

Sadame, thanks for the info on the letters of rec. I had been wondering when (and if) those were going to be sent. Congrats on getting the interview and good luck! I will be keeping my fingers crossed for the interview invite. Let's definitely keep each other updates as to what happens :)

Sorry to tell you it's really difficult to find a rental in the metro area that accepts pets-especially dogs. If you rent a house you are more likely to find a pet friendly landlord. Just like other areas, prices range depending on how well you want to live. A decent non furnished studio is about 600 give or take. One bedrooms run anywhere between 600 and 1000 depending on the location. If you have any more questions ill be more than happy to help. :)

Thanks kg!! I'm sure ALL of us out-of-staters are grateful for that info-- I mean, we're all going to be broke, but we should be prepared for how broke/in debt we will be ;)

Here's another question that in-staters could answer for us grateful out-of-staters: is it possible to use the public bus system, rather than drive cars/pay for parking? I remember when I lived in Hawaii that the buses came ~ every 15 min and my grandmother never felt the need to get a car. More immediately, would it be possible to get around on the bus system if we get interviews? Which buses go to campus?

Thanks so much for your help, guys. It's so expensive to go to Hawaii, even if it isn't a pleasure trip, and you in-staters are really helping us out-of-staters a ton!

On another note, in some ways I think it is torture that U of H doesn't have an app status webpage, and in some ways I think it is a blessing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an interview too, azpremed, but I know for sure I would be wasting time obsessively checking their page for an update if they had one :laugh:

Hey, if any out-of-staters find cheap flights to Hawaii, please post them here too!!

Originally posted by Bikini Princess
hey all. i don't know anyone in our class who didn't live here first,

OK, so it wasn't just me that noticed this.

Originally posted by thewzdoc
OK, so it wasn't just me that noticed this.

That just sucks my bum...........

Thanks kg!! I'm sure ALL of us out-of-staters are grateful for that info-- I mean, we're all going to be broke, but we should be prepared for how broke/in debt we will be ;)

Hey, if any out-of-staters find cheap flights to Hawaii, please post them here too!!

Check out ATA... they were advertising really cheap flights from the Bay Area to Hawaii in the paper, like under $300 RT.... but you might have had to fly by the end of the summer. I dunno. If I get an interview I will probably look at them because they seem to be pretty cheap most of the time.

LA to Honolulu $299 on Hawaiian Airlines, right now. You can book a flight with this price from today till 12/14/2003 and get this fair.

Good luck

The fat cat bus drivers are on strike right now, but it should be resolved soon :) There really is no need for a car the busses come and go to most everywhere very frequently.. The #4 goes to UH from almost everywhere. I don't see a need for a car and i live in Waikiki about 3 miles from school and when the busses run i get to everywhere without limited hassle. Except when i first moved here and had to buy furniture :) Ahh forgot to mention from what i hear rates for tickets drop to 300 roundtrip in late september/nov. Thats word of mouth though, no guarantees. Hmmm...what else... its a great place, it really is, and UH Manoa is a gorgeous campus and really underrated i think. The have an excellent cancer research and biomedical facility that doesnt get much recognition. Some highly decorated professors there also. Coming from the mainland i just noticed that everyone is well.. really nice. Everyone just seems a little bit happier. They've all got the "aloha" spirt or some such. It's a little much for my grumpy self at times :) But that's my only complaint so far. If you need any more specific help at all just gimme a holler.

KG

So Hey, has anyone from a UC applied to UH? I just got an email asking for clarification/descriptions of my MCB classes... Odd, my degree is in Genetics, which is granted from the MCB department at UCD.

Does anyone know how close/far away the med school is from Coconut Island?

So, if the bus system is so good, do you think two people could do okay with just one car in Hawaii? That could save us $$ on moving costs, gas, etc... How much is bus fare these days?

So, if the bus system is so good, do you think two people could do okay with just one car in Hawaii? That could save us $$ on moving costs, gas, etc... How much is bus fare these days?

The bus system was very good in Hawaii when I lived there, especially to and from the colleges. You shouldn?t have any problems only having 1 car for 2 people.

I just submitted my secondary! Will they be sending me a request for letters of rec later?