University of Hawaii at Hilo College of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atlasw

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! :)

Is anyone else applying for early decision to UH Hilo?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
submitted my stuff yesterday and am eager to hear back! :D

Hello future Class of 2018,

Good luck on the upcoming round of applications! I just wanted to let you know that I am one of the ambassadors with DKICP and that if you have any questions you can post here and I will try to answer them. You can also send me a PM if you want too!

Thanks! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hello future Class of 2018,

Good luck on the upcoming round of applications! I just wanted to let you know that I am one of the ambassadors with DKICP and that if you have any questions you can post here and I will try to answer them. You can also send me a PM if you want too!

Thanks! :)

Hi bejohns7. Just wondering when we should be hearing back about possible interview invites. Thanks!

Hey all :)

I applied to hilo for early decision, any early decisioners hear back yet or know when to expect to hear back?

Thanks!

Well it all depends on when the College of Pharmacy receives your full application. The sooner they receive it the sooner they will decide on an interview. It might be a little longer than the early decision, but that is just a guess. I would give it at least a couple weeks.

Hey all :)

I applied to hilo for early decision, any early decisioners hear back yet or know when to expect to hear back?

Thanks!
You should hear back very soon because you applied for early decision. I believe they have to decide on early applicants by late October. So, if you haven't heard back already you should very soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received my supplemental application last week after applying for Early Decision.

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to let you know that I will be the student ambassador from the Daniel K. Inouye College of Pharmacy that will be monitoring this forum for the month of October. I am currently a 3rd year pharmacy student and am originally from Oahu, HI. I completed my undergraduate studies at the University of Hawaii at Hilo and pursued a BS in Chemistry. If you have any questions for me, please feel free to post the question in this forum and I will answer them as best as I can, or refer you to someone who can. You are also welcome to send me a private message.

Thank you! :D

Just received acceptance letter!! :)

Last edited:
congrats! i'm declining my interview. good luck to everyone :D

anyone going to interview in las vegas?

I have a small question with the supplemental application regarding the essay questions. I understand that the answers are personal but would it be a okay to talk about ethnic diversity being one of the main reasons why I want to go to Hawaii? This school is definitely one of my top choices due to its location and a variety of other reasons. I grew up in a city and state where there is a low population of ethnic diversity and as an Asian-American I have always wanted to be somewhere that his more diverse.

Diversity, the Hawaiian culture and the aloha spirit were also big attractions for me. I'm haole (white) but I grew up in the diverse state of Florida and it's and important factor for me. So, I mentioned it in my essay as well as discussed it in my interview. One of the questions asked was about interacting with people from different cultures, which will be necessary and important as a pharmacist. It's a strength. If it's important to you, definitely express it.

Last edited:
I surprisingly got an interview invitation yesterday (not ED). I'm going to Las Vegas for the interview in early December.

Can anyone tell me how difficult it is to visit the other islands? So far I've learned that flying is the primary means of hopping around and the prices are cheap but my experiences with flying involve wasting away in terminals for half the day. I imagine that rules out day trips and I really do not want to be confined to just a small town all the time (not that I don't enjoy the upsides of a close community).

Can anyone tell me how difficult it is to visit the other islands? So far I've learned that flying is the primary means of hopping around and the prices are cheap but my experiences with flying involve wasting away in terminals for half the day.

It's actually not that bad. Hilo airport - you don't have to arrive that early or anything and there are flights all throughout the day from like 5am til 8pm. Inter-island terminal in HNL is also not that bad. The flight is less than an hour from big island to Oahu and less to Maui. Its def realistic to do a weekend or even a day trip. You can see the rates on Hawaiian Airlines' website.

It's actually not that bad. Hilo airport - you don't have to arrive that early or anything and there are flights all throughout the day from like 5am til 8pm. Inter-island terminal in HNL is also not that bad. The flight is less than an hour from big island to Oahu and less to Maui. Its def realistic to do a weekend or even a day trip. You can see the rates on Hawaiian Airlines' website.

It's more realistic to do a weekend trip. A day trip might be worth it if you're able to catch a 6am flight and then head back to Hilo on the last flight. Kona's always on the other side of the island.

I just received an interview invitation tonight!! :) Not sure I'll be able to fly to Hilo on such short notice (First week of December, plus finals are coming up) so I might attend the Las Vegas interviews. To those who've already had their interviews, what were they like?? :)

I'm going to the Las Vegas interview on 12/07/13. Is anyone else going that day as well?

Congratts! pharmylove in your interview do you mind if I ask a question? when did you turn in your supplemental applications? and how long did it take for the school reply you back with a interview invite? was it through email?

Congratts! pharmylove in your interview do you mind if I ask a question? when did you turn in your supplemental applications? and how long did it take for the school reply you back with a interview invite? was it through email?
Hey! Thanks! So I sent in my supplemental on Sunday night and I heard back Tuesday morning for an interview invitation. It was through email!

I sent my supplemental materials in on Tuesday and they emailed me my interview offer Wednesday night! I think I will be going to the Vegas interview on the 9th. :) They were pretty quick!

Anyone have their interviews yet?? How were they? Mine is coming up on the 9th here :nailbiting:

I have my interview tomorrow! Anyone have any good advice?

I have my interview tomorrow! Anyone have any good advice?

You will begin with a 30min closed interview with one of the faculty. This means he or she hasn't seen your file beforehand which limits preconceived notions... to your benefit.

1. Relax... Everyone is really friendly and down to Earth.

2. Be Prepared... Expect to talk about why you want to be a pharmacist, what types of challenges the profession faces in the future, and how you deal with people from different cultures and backgrounds.

3. Be Positive and Optimistic... Explain any extenuating circumstances (low grades, medical problems, etc) in a concise manner and end it on a positive note (great learning experience, refocus, etc.).

4. Hilo = home... Show that you have done your research about Hilo and Big Island and will be comfortable living there for the duration.

5. Be Professional & Be Yourself!

After the 30 minute interview there will be an essay prompt. 1 page & handwritten. It doesn't really require any study or preparation... just use proper grammar and all.

Last edited:
What kind of prompts are on the essays? Are they more about the school or about the profession in general?

The admissions committee is meeting next week, so I hear. Good luck to everyone!

I was accepted today as well! So excited!!!! It's my first one :)

Sad, ahh alternate list... What are my chances?

I got mine yesterday too =)

HI everyone, I would like to know how many students get accepted into the program sofa?

How is the interview ? Is anyone be interviewed yet? May I ask some questions?

Yay I got mine in friday as well!! Is anyone gonna do a canpus visit soon?