University of Hawaii FM Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrLefty

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm not sure if this is even the right place to post this, but I'm trying to find some information about the University of Hawaii FM residency. I am trying to find out how competitive it is. i.e. an estimate of the average Board scores, etc. I am going to med school on the mainland but have ties to Oahu. I'm not sure how much sway that has, but I'm interested in the program and then going into their Sports Med fellowship. I'm trust trying to get a feel for what my chances are.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I'm not sure if this is even the right place to post this, but I'm trying to find some information about the University of Hawaii FM residency. I am trying to find out how competitive it is. i.e. an estimate of the average Board scores, etc. I am going to med school on the mainland but have ties to Oahu. I'm not sure how much sway that has, but I'm interested in the program and then going into their Sports Med fellowship. I'm trust trying to get a feel for what my chances are.
not competitive, having ties is good, everyone there is miserable and broke... i know 3 of the residents there.. good luck

Ties is good. I know one of the sports med attendings at their fellowship. Cool guy. Met him back when I was interviewing and he was a sports med fellow. Good fellowship!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the input guys.
Yayforscrambling I'm curious as to why the residents there are miserable. I knew the cost of living is super high, but is the program itself particularly frustrating compared to others?
And Galactus, if I were to do FM there I would be looking into take up the Sports Med fellowship there. Did he like his program there?
Sorry for the relatively open ended questions. I'm not at UH right now and it's pretty hard to come by straight forward I for without straight up asking people

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

the cost of living is extremely high... each had at least 3 roomates from what I remember... on top of that, you should've seen where they were living...

at work, they were getting dumped on by all the other specialties... as I mentioned, my best friend is an intern there, and I can't begin to tell you how depressed he is... and this guy never got depresssed

So you'd say that the biggest issues were more financial? High living expenses etc, more so than crappy work conditions and and colleagues?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
I know they had to pick up people in the scramble this year... So...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

any update on this? did u end up applying to FM in hawaii?

Reactions: 1 users