University of Hawaii - Hilo Pharmacy C/O 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cali Pharmer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Noticed that there wasn't a thread for DKICP for the students entering in Fall 2016. Please do not hesitate to ask any questions or mention any concerns regarding admissions or whatnot.

Submitted Supplemental: 12/21/15
Invitation for Interview: 12/23/15
Interviewed Off-Campus: 1/22/16
Acceptance Notification: 2/5/16

Members don't see this ad.

That's awesome! I got wait listed by them. If you don't mind me asking what were your numbers?

That's awesome! I got wait listed by them. If you don't mind me asking what were your numbers?

Hello! I'm not going to lie, my stats are not on the higher end of the spectrum. PharmCAS Overall GPA: 2.68 PCAT Composite: 72
I think that my supplemental application, various volunteer and extracurricular experiences, and interview were my saving graces

Members don't see this ad :)
Hawaii my first choice No apply because hawaii island far from land. Goods-Very expensive. But pharmacy school on an island paradise. Squeamish to reside on an island and feel cut off from real world. I have no idea what living in Hawaii is like. What +/- living going to Pharmacy Hilo?

Hello! I'm not going to lie, my stats are not on the higher end of the spectrum. PharmCAS Overall GPA: 2.68 PCAT Composite: 72
I think that my supplemental application, various volunteer and extracurricular experiences, and interview were my saving graces

Hi Cali,

I'm late doing this, but while I'm waiting to hear from my other schools, I took advantage of the extended deadline and applied to UHH. There's no min GPA or PCAT score but my GPA is a couple points higher than yours and PCAT is lower. I'm so worried about what they're looking for and no one has really been posting their stats, except for you. Have you gotten into any other schools? Are you going to Hawaii? And were you worried about them not taking you?

Hi Cali,

I'm late doing this, but while I'm waiting to hear from my other schools, I took advantage of the extended deadline and applied to UHH. There's no min GPA or PCAT score but my GPA is a couple points higher than yours and PCAT is lower. I'm so worried about what they're looking for and no one has really been posting their stats, except for you. Have you gotten into any other schools? Are you going to Hawaii? And were you worried about them not taking you?
Hello Nic,
I was planning on applying to a couple other schools in addition to Hilo. Hilo is my main school of preference, so after getting the acceptance letter I paid my matriculation fee and decided not to apply to other schools. The only worry or anxiety I felt was the time leading up to my interview. I was confident in my supplemental application and interview.

Hello Nic,
I was planning on applying to a couple other schools in addition to Hilo. Hilo is my main school of preference, so after getting the acceptance letter I paid my matriculation fee and decided not to apply to other schools. The only worry or anxiety I felt was the time leading up to my interview. I was confident in my supplemental application and interview.

Do you have a Bachelors? I just have my Associates. I was worried that wouldn't make me competitive. And was that your overall GPA? My overall was a 2.96 and my science was that as well, but my PCAT was a composite of 20, which is the worst part. I just don't know how they're going to perceive that.

Do you have a Bachelors? I just have my Associates. I was worried that wouldn't make me competitive. And was that your overall GPA? My overall was a 2.96 and my science was that as well, but my PCAT was a composite of 20, which is the worst part. I just don't know how they're going to perceive that.
I am in my last semester and will obtain my Bachelors degree in May. Yes, the GPA from my earlier post is my overall GPA calculated by PharmCAS. Make sure to research the school and get an idea of what they're looking for.

I am in my last semester and will obtain my Bachelors degree in May. Yes, the GPA from my earlier post is my overall GPA calculated by PharmCAS. Make sure to research the school and get an idea of what they're looking for.

Hi Cali, did you know that the UHH accreditation is only until 2017? Apparently, it was provisional last year b/c there were concerns about the buildings and they were almost placed on probation. Now they have to submit to an onsite evaluation and review before being extended past 2017. Are you concerned about that? I don't know what would happen to students if a school lost accreditation. Was the new pharmacy building up and running? I'm asking b/c I'm doing the supplemental application right now. I also find it interesting that one of their questions is about the location of the school. It was recently in the news that the lawmakers wanted it relocated next to the med school in Honolulu

Last edited:
Hi Cali, did you know that the UHH accreditation is only until 2017? Apparently, it was provisional last year b/c there were concerns about the buildings and they were almost placed on probation. Now they have to submit to an onsite evaluation and review before being extended past 2017. Are you concerned about that? I don't know what would happen to students if a school lost accreditation. Was the new pharmacy building up and running? I'm asking b/c I'm doing the supplemental application right now. I also find it interesting that one of their questions is about the location of the school. It was recently in the news that the lawmakers wanted it relocated next to the med school in Honolulu
Hi again. I have been aware of their accreditation status and frequently look into the progress of the construction of the new building. It is definitely something to take into consideration when applying. According to this article, they received quotes last month that were slightly over budget and are assessing how to move forward: http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/...macy-school-bids-come-in-millions-over-budget

I'm plaaning to apply here but what does the school building look like? is this a good school from those who interview 2.7 gpa

man no one responds here. poor spirit

Hi again. I have been aware of their accreditation status and frequently look into the progress of the construction of the new building. It is definitely something to take into consideration when applying. According to this article, they received quotes last month that were slightly over budget and are assessing how to move forward: http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/...macy-school-bids-come-in-millions-over-budget

Hi Cali Pharmer,

Just wanted to update you, and ask some questions! I was just offered an interview here in May. Unfortunately, its on a Sat, and I have a final on Monday morning. I was going to ask them for another date, but they didn't give any other dates in the email. So I hope they'll let me. I was also going to ask them if I could do a skype interview. Im not sure if that's possible though.

My dilemma right now is that I would really love to go here, but I have two other interviews this month. If I get in to one of these other schools, they only give you a week and a half to accept and send a deposit. I wouldn't want to turn that down just to interview with Hawaii, and then there's a chance I don't get in Hawaii. I would've lost out on going anywhere. So I'm going to see how these interviews go. What did you like most about Hawaii when you went there? How are the people? The area? What about transportation? It would cost me almost 2k to ship my car to there from the east coast. How are you dealing with transportation?

Hi!
Your situation definitely sounds pretty stressful. I was going to suggest that if you get in somewhere before your interview with Hilo, to just accept and pay the deposit. If you happen to get accepted into Hilo (fingers crossed!) then you make your decision at that point. Either way, it's going to be a pricey process, haha.

I'm assuming from your questions that you will be doing an on-campus interview? I personally had chosen to interview off-campus, for convenience sake. However, I have been to the Hawaiian islands quite a few times (6 times), and can tell you with confidence that the locals are very welcoming and hospitable. The Big Island is one of the more laid back islands, and there are a lot of beautiful places to explore. As far as transportation, I will be shipping my car out as well. It is also about $2K for me, too.

Sorry that it took me awhile to get back to you - I haven't been on here much lately. Feel free to ask any other questions you may have :)

Hello Cali Pharmer

For your off-campus interview, where did it take place? You did not have to fly to the school for it?

Hello Cali Pharmer

For your off-campus interview, where did it take place? You did not have to fly to the school for it?
Hello! My off-campus interview was in Downey, CA (near Los Angeles). They gave me the option to interview in Hilo, but I opted to interview off-campus.

Thank you for responding Cali Pharmer. How is your semester going so far at Hilo? :)