University of Hawaii SOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDoc2005

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Has anybody applied to hawaii, just got my first rejection today pre-secondary from them...

Do any of you know how much they screen pre-sec...

I'm an OOS so don't even know if they accept too many of us, just thought it would be a nice place to spend four years of life in.

Tnx

Members don't see this ad.

i think hawaii will only consider ppl from their state or ppl with connections to their state, which is why i didn't apply. but yeah, it woulda been nice to go to med school there :(

link: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=236299&highlight=hawaii+residency+points

kalenakai said:
Someone also mentioned that it's nearly impossible for OOS applicants to get into JABSOM. That is partly true. Considering that the entering class ONLY has 52 spots (it's 62 total, but 10 spots automatically go to successful graduates of the post-bacc program). In general, only about 3-4 are from OOS. Anyway, on the third "interview" with the Dean, you get the point breakdown of how you were offered an interview. Let me try to summarize it here as best as I can...

First Cut: Residency (5pts max)
Hawaii Resident (1pt)
Parents Hawaii Residents (1pt)
Hawaii HS (1pt)
Hawaii College (1pt)
Something else (1pt)

Second Cut: Academics & ECs (~17pts max)
Cum GPA (2pts)
Fr-Soph/Jun-Sen GPA Change (0-1pt)
MCAT PS (-2 to 2 pts)
MCAT VR (-2 to 2 pts)
MCAT BS (-2 to 2 pts)
MCAT WS (-2 to 2 pt, i think)
Research (0 to 2 pts)
ECs (-2 to 2 pts)
Leadership (-2 to 2 pts)
Work (-1 to 1 pt)

Roughly, that's the general scheme of things. To get an interview, applicants must meet a certain total point cutoff as follows:
Residents Reg MD: 8pts
Residents EDP: 10pts
Non-Residents Reg MD: 14pts (which means, that without all the points carried over from the resident cutoff, you must have a stellar academic/EC profile)

By rejecting you they probably save you 50 bucks. 6 out of 150 ppl OOS (who are offered interview) are chosen..those are not good odds :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
FutureDoc2005 said:
Hi folks,

Has anybody applied to hawaii, just got my first rejection today pre-secondary from them...

Do any of you know how much they screen pre-sec...

I'm an OOS so don't even know if they accept too many of us, just thought it would be a nice place to spend four years of life in.

Tnx

They don't take too many OOS students, and their class is pretty small.

dr.z said:
They don't take too many OOS students, and their class is pretty small.
Tnx for all the input people, I should'nt have applied in the first place had i known.

Their curriculum is strange too. It's mostly PBL with 1 lecture a week for your first year, and then all PBLs your second year. That's how they explained it to me. It was the one school I got into straight up, and the only one I really really really wanted to reject me. Fortunately, I got off a waitlist that year.

I didn't like the curriculum, and I didn't find out about it completely until I went to interview there.

Ashers said:
I didn't like the curriculum, and I didn't find out about it completely until I went to interview there.
Yeah, make sure you're a big proponent of PBL before going there. It's a dream for some and a nightmare for others. Many schools offer PBL as a component, but I don't know of many who use PBL as much as UH.

Fine med school, btw, and I'm not trying to debate the validity of PBL. Just saying make sure it's your cup of tea.