University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine Kansas City

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by SDN-Jim, Mar 16, 2000.

1. University of Health Sciences
    College of Osteopathic Medicine
    2105 Independence Boulevard
    Kansas City, MO 64124

Admissions: 816 283 2350 http://www.uhs.edu
    Deadline: 3/1
    In State Tuition: 23000
    Out-of State Tuition: 23000
    Number of Students: around 640
    Average MCAT: 8.5

Please post any experiences you have with this school.

This is part of the big guide at http://www.studentdoctor.net

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. UHS03

UHS03 Senior Member

The budget for a first year student this year was set at 42,000 bux (this includes living expenses, tuition, and books.) The tuition just went up by 6%. I'm pretty sure that yearly tuition is closer to the 28-30 grand range.

4. ewagner

ewagner Senior Member

$27,700

Lots of pretty flowers and buildings of brick. (I can think of lots of things to make this rhyme...but I got things to do now.)

5. guylon07

guylon07 Member

Well, I just had a interview there at UHS and loved it. It was a great facility, and I have not heard one bad thing about it from current students or alumni, and that is rare. I can usualy find one student or alumni that wants to complain about their program, but not at UHS. The interview went very well and I HOPE to be able to attend there.

6. Julie

Julie Member

I was very impressed with the school. I will be attending the school this fall. I liked it better than the other Medical school in Kansas City, MO. At that school I felt more like a number and less like an individual. But at UHS, I felt very welcomed and it had a friendly atmosphere. (UHS even has 50 more students per class than does the other KC, MO medical school) One of the down sides to UHS is that the community (outside of healthcare) is not that familiar with the school. When you say you are in med. school they assume it is KU (Kansas University Med. school) Also, the school is in a bad part of town.

For clinical rotations, UHS students have the option to do them at the Health Midwest Hospitals and there are about 19 of them in the Greater Kansas City area. UHS is trying to add more hospitals for clinical rotations so that there will be enough spots in KC for all their students if they choose to do there 3rd and 4th years in KC. The school has very advance equipment for teaching and learning. But then again I have only had a tour of a few schools [​IMG].

[This message has been edited by Julie (edited 03-29-2000).]

7. RBorhani

RBorhani Emergency Physician

After being a student at UHS for four years, I can tell you that the school has improved a lot.
    I was truly impressed with the efficiency of the administration office in processing my information for ERAS and helping me out with the ACGME (MD) residency process in every step of the way.
    Couple of years ago there was a concern with our Dean?s letter and the class president and I gathered up the information and met with the administrator in charge of the Dean?s letter. With the following application cycle all of our recommendations were in place and I think this truly helped us out in obtaining the residencies we wanted.

8. mt

mt Member

Julie,

When did you read about UHS spending $18mil on the Children's Mercy Hospital. I would be interested to read the article. Is the article on the web? Thanks and see you next year.

mt

9. Julie

Julie Member

I searched the KC Star web page and I can't seem to find the article. My grandma cut it out of the paper and saved it for me, so I don't even know which paper it was in. I do know that it was in one of the March papers. I guess it makes the info a little unreliable. Sorry [​IMG] I removed my statement since I could not verify it. I don't want to spread only rumors.

[This message has been edited by Julie (edited 03-29-2000).]

10. guylon07

guylon07 Member

Hey I was just wondering if any of you out there doing rotations know about any job openings for nurse practitioners or where would be a good place to start looking. I will be attending UHS this fall, and my wife is a APN. We will probably go ahead and move up there in late June early July so that she can have some time to start looking. She is very stressed, to say the least, about finding a job so any input anyone may have would be a great help.
    Thanks,
    Jodie

11. vietcongs

vietcongs Senior Member

im from kc, but i wouldnt consider this school since its right in the middle of the ghetto. i wouldnt dare walk that area at night or you might find my body in the Missouri river the next morning...freaks me out!

12. rtk

rtk Member

vietcongs;

Keep in mind that many medical schools across the country are in less-than-desirable locations.

Also keep in mind that in comparison to Cedar Rapids, IA (AKA: Mayberry), 'Shady Acres Retirement Village' is a scary place... I know, I grew up in CR, it is not a good representation of how the rest of the world lives.

13. TNT

TNT Senior Member

Very true. Look at Johns Hopkins, for example. It is one of the top med school in the country, yet in one of the worst ghettos in the country (the ghettos of baltimore).

14. zhuge

zhuge Junior Member

Well I have been accepted to UHS and I have narrowed it down to 3 schools with UHS leading right now. Who else is going out there for the fall of 2001? Anyone know what they are going to do about housing?

From the previous discussions and my visit I understand the surrounding areas are less than desirable and I was hoping someone knew of a good place to find an apartment. I'd love to get some input from some current students who like where they live and know of places to stay away from. I would also like to hear from other students thinking about going there in the fall and what the possibilites for roommates are. I believe they said they had a matching service when I went for the interview but it's been awhile and I might have confused that with one of the other schools.

15. Cheekster

Cheekster Junior Member

I was accepted to CCOM, COMP, and UHS, and have decided to attend UHS. There's just something special about this school. All of the students, faculty, and alumni I dealt with in the course of admissions seemed to be really enthusiastic about their school and their place in the osteopathic profession, and the facilities were high-tech and attractive. On paper, any of these schools would be a solid choice as far as I'm concerned, but UHS had that little extra spark about it. Can't wait to see you guys in the Fall!

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. SD

SD Senior Member

Congratulations to all of you Class of 2005 students!

I'm currently a 1st year student and would be happy to answer any of your questions. Feel free to email me.

About housing: the school does have a roommate list. Just call them up and ask them to put your name on it. They will then send you a copy of it, and will keep sending you copies every time someone is added.

There are several nice areas for housing, all depending on your style. Many students (around 75-100 or so) live at Bennington Apts, which is just north of the river, about 6-7 miles away from school. They have 1 and 2 bedrooms and rent for around 700 for the 2 bdrm. Many other students live further north around the Berry Rd exit. This is a nice area with theatres, stores, restaurants, etc.. it's just a bit farther from school. A few students also live south of the school in the Westport/Plaza area. Prices in this area range from average to lots o' money.

To give you an idea on duplexes, I live in a new 2story duplex across the street from Bennington. Our 3bdrm/2bath double car garage rents for 930.

Feel free to ask away...

Sara

18. lumanyika

lumanyika Senior Member

Sara,
    I was wondering if UHS accepts foreign students.I'm currently pursuing my masters degree in biochem. at UMKC.

cheers,
    Lumanyika.

------------------
    TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN,MUCH IS EXPECTED.

19. SD

SD Senior Member

Hey Lumanyika-

Honestly, I'm not really sure. The best thing to do is to just call them. Ask for admissions and they should be able to help you.

Sara

20. peachy

peachy Junior Member

I was almost certain on sending my money to PCOM, but then changed my mind, and decided on atending UHS. I am really excited about my choice, see you guys next year. By the way, does anybody know, if they have a summer program for freshmen?
    Olga

21. adamwait

adamwait Member

UHS ROCKS!!!!