University of Houston Class of 2016 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrLogic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone applying to UH for Fall 2012?? Their using PharmCAS now and have changed some things. FYI, the Supplemental Application will be sent to you AFTER you've completed the PharmCAS application. Additional info can be found on their website:
http://www.uh.edu/pharmacy/prospective-students/pharmd/application/index.php

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying too

Just curious, when you e-submitted the PharmCAS application, how long did it take for them to send it out to schools?

I submitted my PharmCAS app about 10 days ago, but the status still shows as "not mailed"

I'm applying too

Just curious, when you e-submitted the PharmCAS application, how long did it take for them to send it out to schools?

I submitted my PharmCAS app about 10 days ago, but the status still shows as "not mailed"

I submitted mine on 9/01/2011. Before your app is mail, PharmCAS must calculate your GPA.....considering that they have received your payment and official transcripts already. Once PharmCAS receives your Payment + Official Transcripts + Calculates your GPA, then your app will be mailed. Just to let you know, once everything is received, calculating your GPA can take up to 5 weeks.

I'm applying too

Oh, and I'm still waiting on my GPA to be calculated and my apps to be mailed. But I did hear their giving preference to applicants who are apply for early admission right now. But who knows, your app should be mailed in a couple of weeks, if not sooner.

I'm waiting for my recommendation letters to be submitted before I can start on the supplemental application. So I was wondering if the supplemental application for Houston consists of another essay to write like Texas Tech?

I'm waiting for my recommendation letters to be submitted before I can start on the supplemental application. So I was wondering if the supplemental application for Houston consists of another essay to write like Texas Tech?

UH will provide the supplemental app to those that have completed the PharmCAS app. I don't think UH has an essay. There is a place for a NON-Required essay if you would like to explain other things regarding your application. But I will say if you have access to the supplemental app, complete it ASAP since UH has rolling admissions. So the earlier you submit everything, the better!

FYI:

i sent in my pharmCAS application 09/01, and they sent me a notice on 09/16
they've calcluated my GPA and will send the application to my designated schools soon

awaiting replies from schools now!
good luck to everyone else as well!

My GPAs were calculated today on 9/19. I submitted on 9/01. So the total time was about 2 weeks I guess. PharmCAS seems pretty efficient. Mailings are on every Monday btw. Good luck to everyone!!

In case anyone wanted to know, I just received the Supplemental application for UH. Its basically just a residency questionnaire asking you to sign a couple of papers. I can't believe THAT'S what's costing $150 lol

Does anyone know what PCAT score is competitive for University of Houston? I tried to find it but couldn't on their website.

Does anyone know what PCAT score is competitive for University of Houston? I tried to find it but couldn't on their website.

a competitive score is around a composite score of 75% or higher. and average score is a composite around 50% (meaning your inside the bell curve). UH's average for last year's entering class was about 79% (or so they claim) lol

Members don't see this ad :)
So let me get this straight...

Is it $150 for (one) PharmCAS AND +$150 for the UH supplement? = $300 total?
:eek:

I don't have this type of money...

You are correct!!! Lol I thought since they use PharmCAS now, it would lower the price of their application from last year! #Wrong Lol

Does anyone know if UH does rolling admissions?! If not, what is the final application date? Thanks!

no kidding, $150 for a dinky supplemental which was part of the app itself last year (when they didn't use PharmCAS)

Does anyone know if UH does rolling admissions?! If not, what is the final application date? Thanks!

yes they do rolling admissions. last day to apply is Jan 5, 2012

Pharmcas just calculated my GPA, so definitely took about 2 weeks since I turned it in. I'm pretty overwhelmed that the supplemental is 150 bucks. I'm still waiting for it to be sent.

#antsy

nobody interested in UHCOP this year? (or at least, not on SDN..)

anyone heard back regarding interviews or w/e?
i believe they start in january

nobody interested in UHCOP this year? (or at least, not on SDN..)

anyone heard back regarding interviews or w/e?
i believe they start in january

LOL!!! I thought the same thing! I guess the fact that they're using PharmCAS now, having DOUBLED the application price to apply is affecting some folks. But I heard from the admissions guy that they've been processing apps since August. How many??? I have no clue lol

I have my application in. They said they would contact you as soon as November and interviews are December through April. I hope to hear from them soon. If anyone here does please keep me informed. By the way is anyone from here from Houston? I am from a small town in Northern CA and Houston sounds so HUGE compared to what I am used to.

I have my application in. They said they would contact you as soon as November and interviews are December through April. I hope to hear from them soon. If anyone here does please keep me informed. By the way is anyone from here from Houston? I am from a small town in Northern CA and Houston sounds so HUGE compared to what I am used to.

Hey! I live in Houston! and yes I will have to tell you that Houston is HUGE!!! I moved to Houston 5 years ago from New Orleans. Lets just say that I'm glad I have a car lol

LOL!!! I thought the same thing! I guess the fact that they're using PharmCAS now, having DOUBLED the application price to apply is affecting some folks. But I heard from the admissions guy that they've been processing apps since August. How many??? I have no clue lol

hopefully our chances of getting in have also doubled !

hopefully our chances of getting in have also doubled !

I know I hope so too!! The last thing I heard from UH was the receipt of supplemental!! I hope to hear from them soon!! I went there for my undergrad and they take huge pride in their pharmacy and optometry programs!!!

Hey guys!

Glad to see some activity in the UHCOP thread. I'm currently a P4 and would be happy to answer any questions regarding the program. Some things have changed since I applied 4 years ago but I will do my best to answer your questions. Best of luck to all of you!

I'm a little curious. What were the questions on the supplemental questionnaire?

I'm a little curious. What were the questions on the supplemental questionnaire?

UHCOP Supplemental Application materials consist of:
  • $150.00 nonrefundable Supplemental Application Fee (personal check or money order)
  • Credit by Examination Documentation Items (if applicable)
  • International Transcript Evaluation Process (if applicable)
  • Official U.S. high school transcript to show completion of high school physics (if applicable)
  • Residency Questionnaire
  • Important Disclosures
  • Technical Standards
  • Certification Page

Hey guys!

Glad to see some activity in the UHCOP thread. I'm currently a P4 and would be happy to answer any questions regarding the program. Some things have changed since I applied 4 years ago but I will do my best to answer your questions. Best of luck to all of you!

Hi,
thanks for your willingness to help.
here is my info and I really want to know if i have any chance to...

verbal 35
Bio 86
Rc 34
QA 35
Chem 77
Comp 56

cGPA 3.6
Science 3.8

5 years pharm tech (certified)

Thanks

no kidding, $150 for a dinky supplemental which was part of the app itself last year (when they didn't use PharmCAS)

yes they do rolling admissions. last day to apply is Jan 5, 2012
Is this application deadline of January 5 correct? I thought we needed to have PharmCAS and the supplemental completed by December 1? If someone knows the answer, can you please answer this question? I am pressed for time and need to meet deadlines quick and a final deadline of January 5 would be extremely beneficial to me. Thanks.

Hi,

verbal 35
Bio 86
Rc 34
QA 35
Chem 77
Comp 56

cGPA 3.6
Science 3.8

Thanks

Doesn't Houston require at least a 70 or 75 percentile on the PCAT??? I may be wrong though, but it's what I saw on their website. If they require it then I would suggest looking at another school. If it's their average then I think you have a shot.

Doesn't Houston require at least a 70 or 75 percentile on the PCAT??? I may be wrong though, but it's what I saw on their website. If they require it then I would suggest looking at another school. If it's their average then I think you have a shot.

Naw they don't REQUIRE that as a score. They only recommend that you score in the 75th percentile or higher in order to be competitive. There really isn't a "minimum" score that they use. The adcom folks said they usually will consider you for an interview if you have a PCAT composite of at least 60-65%. I was told that this justifies an interview. If you're not happy with your current PCAT score, you can take the test again in January.

Naw they don't REQUIRE that as a score. They only recommend that you score in the 75th percentile or higher in order to be competitive. There really isn't a "minimum" score that they use. The adcom folks said they usually will consider you for an interview if you have a PCAT composite of at least 60-65%. I was told that this justifies an interview. If you're not happy with your current PCAT score, you can take the test again in January.

:thumbup::thumbup:
Oh I see, I guess I misunderstood it. Thanks for clearing this up for me.
I thought they required a PCAT in the 75th percentile, which is why I didn't apply there. Maybe I should reconsider that school.

Hi,

verbal 35
Bio 86
Rc 34
QA 35
Chem 77
Comp 56

cGPA 3.6
Science 3.8

Thanks

My answer won't reassure you any my friend because both extremes of the spectrum get in every year: those who have the best grades and those who don't. But I will say that you may want to consider taking the PCAT again and really concentrate on those areas you didn't pass because being in the mid-30s in 3 areas really isn't going to cut it to be quite frank.

For the rest of you, I will say this: no pharmacy student can say with 100% confidence whether or not you have a fighting chance of getting in based on your stats. Ask any student at any school of pharmacy and they will tell you the same thing: you could have the most amazing stats in the nation and still not be offered an interview or admission to a school of pharmacy. I will never forget the student I was interviewing with at one of the schools of pharmacy who had the 4.0 and 99% PCAT score and applied to all the schools of pharmacy in Texas and was not accepted to a single one. It's just how it is. Great grades are awesome but pharmacy schools, companies, residencies, and fellowships are now really really really looking for well-balanced individuals. Grades, extracurriculars, unique opportunities or experiences, letters of recommendations, what you include in your essay ALL matter. You need something that sets you apart from the rest and you must be able to showcase it. So take every advantage to put your best foot forward! And yes, even choosing who you wish to write your letters of rec is one big way you can do this. I hope this helps!

Last edited:
:thumbup::thumbup:
Oh I see, I guess I misunderstood it. Thanks for clearing this up for me.
I thought they required a PCAT in the 75th percentile, which is why I didn't apply there. Maybe I should reconsider that school.

It never hurts to take a shot. You've got nothing to lose. Go for it!

Is this application deadline of January 5 correct? I thought we needed to have PharmCAS and the supplemental completed by December 1? If someone knows the answer, can you please answer this question? I am pressed for time and need to meet deadlines quick and a final deadline of January 5 would be extremely beneficial to me. Thanks.

as far as i know, jan 5 is the deadline to apply. also it's indicated on the UH site:
http://www.uh.edu/pharmacy/prospective-students/pharmd/application/index.php

i'm sure you can always call in and ask, just to be sure

My answer won't reassure you any my friend because both extremes of the spectrum get in every year: those who have the best grades and those who don't. But I will say that you may want to consider taking the PCAT again and really concentrate on those areas you didn't pass because being in the mid-30s in 3 areas really isn't going to cut it to be quite frank.

For the rest of you, I will say this: no pharmacy student can say with 100% confidence whether or not you have a fighting chance of getting in based on your stats. Ask any student at any school of pharmacy and they will tell you the same thing: you could have the most amazing stats in the nation and still not be offered an interview or admission to a school of pharmacy. I will never forget the student I was interviewing with at one of the schools of pharmacy who had the 4.0 and 99% PCAT score and applied to all the schools of pharmacy and was not accepted to a single one. It's just how it is. Great grades are awesome but pharmacy schools, companies, residencies, and fellowships are now really really really looking for well-balanced individuals. Grades, extracurriculars, unique opportunities or experiences, letters of recommendations, what you include in your essay ALL matter. You need something that sets you apart from the rest and you must be able to showcase it. So take every advantage to put your best foot forward! And yes, even choosing who you wish to write your letters of rec is one big way you can do this.

Thank you.

Hey guys! Unless someone has received an interview invite already, PCAT scores for September will be released to schools on Monday! So I'm figuring UH will start reviewing completed applications and start inviting people for interviews starting next week on. I was informed that your application won't be reviewed until all of THEIR required materials are received(i.e, PharmCAS app, PCAT scores, LORs, Supplemental App, & Supplemental App Fee).

Do we send all of our transcripts to UHCOP as well as PharmCAS or do we only need to send it to PharmCAS and PharmCAS will validate and send the information to UHCOP?

Do we send all of our transcripts to UHCOP as well as PharmCAS or do we only need to send it to PharmCAS and PharmCAS will validate and send the information to UHCOP?

You only send your transcripts to PharmCAS. PharmCAS will verify your transcripts and calculate your gpa and forward it to your pharmacy designations. There's no need to send your transcripts to UH!

Did anybody get an interview for University of Houston College of Pharmacy? I just received an invitation for one in November. Super excited!! :)

Did anybody get an interview for University of Houston College of Pharmacy? I just received an invitation for one in November. Super excited!! :)

Congrats!! Do you mind sharing your PCAT score? Mine is being sent there on Monday.

Congrats! Good luck on the interview. That's super early. If you don't mind me asking, when did you e-submit your application?

I thought interviews start in December.....I guess not, unless desigirl did early acceptance.

I had no idea they had early acceptance?!

oh nevermind they don't do early acceptance....I guess they started interviews early or something because I read on pharmCAS it's from Dec. to May.

I had no idea they had early acceptance?!

Naw UH doesn't do early acceptance. The admissions people said they would start contacting people for interviews in November. I also remember seeing that interviews start in December. But maybe they changed that. But I can say for a fact that they don't do early acceptance.

When did you all submit your applications? Besides desigirl89, has anyone else gotten an interview invite? I submitted my application on october 30th and still waiting for my supplementals and my GPA to be calculated. Do you guys think I did my applications a little too last minute? Compared to last year, it seems as though they are interviewing like a month earlier.

When did you all submit your applications? Besides desigirl89, has anyone else gotten an interview invite? I submitted my application on october 30th and still waiting for my supplementals and my GPA to be calculated. Do you guys think I did my applications a little too last minute? Compared to last year, it seems as though they are interviewing like a month earlier.

Well it'll take about 2 weeks for your GPA to be calculated. Plus you have to receive the supplemental app and submit that with the $150 fee before your app will be reviewed. So it might be some time before your app gets reviewed and you receive interview notification. Did PharmCAS receive your PCAT scores?

Pharmcas received my PCAT scores on 10/28/11. So I'm guessing it will be another 3 weeks before I get my supplemental. Ugh...I should have completed my application earlier.

3 weeks to send the supplemental??? Why do they take so long?