university of houston pre med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anon5803

Reaction score
Hello! Im an incoming freshman at UH and I'm pretty stressed out. I've always heard that it is better for med school if you apply to UH's Honors College but i also see posts where people say it does not matter. I, unfortunately (due to my lack of effort in high school), did not get into the Honors College but Im planning on applying my 2nd sem of freshman year. Does anyone have any advice? Is there any UH alumni out there who didn't take Honors? :oldman:

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know anything about UH but honestly after going through this process I would just recommend to do the easiest classes you can. no one will care if you do "regular" classes. It will especially hurt if you do honors and get a lower GPA than you would have had doing the non-honors stuff. Just do your best in classes and try to learn the material well for the MCAT. having the highest GPA you can will be the best thing as you prepare to apply to med school. hopefully some others will chime in to see if they agree

Reactions: 1 user
In my experience honors classes are easier than regular classes. There's a little bit more classwork, but the small class sizes and quality of professor more than make up for it. Especially at UH, the large lectures can be difficult since it's a lot of material and the professors are somehow offended by questions. You also get priority registration. Personally I thought the honors college were also the only ones with a semblance of the traditional college experience at UH, since everyone else just wanted to leave campus.

I know many ppl at UH that got into med school without the honors college. Some majored in non-science fields. Just goes to show you don't have to follow the UH premed track, which is terrible btw (at least it was 5 years ago).