University of Illinois at Chicago MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prospective mph

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here attend UIC MPH program?
Can you tell me pros/cons of this program?
I live in Chicago and b/c of the location, I'm drawn to the program. Not to mention in-state tuition.
Are there job opportunities in Chicago for MPH graduates?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone here attend UIC MPH program?
Can you tell me pros/cons of this program?
I live in Chicago and b/c of the location, I'm drawn to the program. Not to mention in-state tuition.
Are there job opportunities in Chicago for MPH graduates?
Thanks!

Which division? I have an EOHS MPH, my wife a HPA. Both from UIC. The job market was good to both of us (but I left my job and went to medical school a year after graduation).

- H

they hire within, and they have good professors, and everything

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm looking to study Health Policy and Admin
--
i'm debating between U of Illinois at Chicago or Berkeley , provided that i get accepted to both programs.
--
though Berkeley is "ranked" higher, i dont think the ranking diff makes that big of a difference in terms of paying out of tution and in-state tuition. would you agree that UIC program is just as good as Berkeley's? Would it be possible to hold a part time job while attending UIC full time?

thanks for your response!

I didn't go to UIC for my MPH but I did my undergraduate studies there; UIC school of public health is very well-recognized and has wonderful professors. I have met couple of them--and you will definitely be able to work part-time. I suggest making an appointment with an advisor there and maybe you can talk about your concerns. They are really friendly. Plus, being state school, you will get in-state tuition which is great!

I hope this helps :) I really do recommend going down to School of Public Health and making an appointment for informational session. It's only couple hours of your time but I'm sure they will be worth your time.

I don't know who's interested in this school, but here's some info I found out.

Majority of grad students receive some kind of assistantship.
*25% (10hr/wk) waives 50% of the tution ($6,500/semester) & $600/month stipend
*50% (20hr/wk) waives tuition & $1200/month stipend
*some receive grants and fellowships
(i'm not sure if it's contingent on your experience/scores/gpa. but i'd like to know how grants & fellowwships are distributed)

I'm really interested in the Health Policy & Administration Division. Anyone here currently enrolled or have completed this program? Would you recommend this school, especially this division? How are the facilities/professors/enviornment? And how's the class schedule? Are they back to back or scattered throughout the day?

Thanks!

Goodluck everyone with your decisions!

I am currently a student in the MHA program at UIC, which is part of the HPA division. I got an assitantship pretty easily. Its awesome. I work 10 hours a week and they pay my tuition and a pretty nice monthly stipend. Also the program is really good here. The professors are very well connected in Chicago and other areas. They are very vested in each students success and will do just about anything to help a student find the job they want. UIC's definetly a better school then people give it credit for. The students work hard.

I don't know who's interested in this school, but here's some info I found out.

Majority of grad students receive some kind of assistantship.
*25% (10hr/wk) waives 50% of the tution ($6,500/semester) & $600/month stipend
*50% (20hr/wk) waives tuition & $1200/month stipend
*some receive grants and fellowships
(i'm not sure if it's contingent on your experience/scores/gpa. but i'd like to know how grants & fellowwships are distributed)

I'm really interested in the Health Policy & Administration Division. Anyone here currently enrolled or have completed this program? Would you recommend this school, especially this division? How are the facilities/professors/enviornment? And how's the class schedule? Are they back to back or scattered throughout the day?

Thanks!

Goodluck everyone with your decisions!

I just wanted to update this in case someone looked this up in the future.

At UIC you have a full tuition, fee, and tuition differential waiver on any assistantship over 25% time (a few don't offer any tuition waiver, so make sure they offer a tuition waiver).

Also, you get a pretty nice stipend--which ends up being a little over $16 an hour, and goes up as you go through the program.

The School of Public Health is amazing when it comes time to finding an assistantship for you... People trip over assistantships, so if you want one, you could easily go to school for free there--given you are willing to work at least 25% time.

PM me if you have any questions

sort of following prospective_mph's previous question: does anyone have any opinions about the berkeley public health program? e.g. geared towards students or health professionals, career prospects after graduaton, reputation and student-life...thanks!

I know this post is a little old, but I've done my research as much as I can via UIC SPH's website. I'm kinda stuck between UIC and BU MPH programs. And unfortunately, I don't have the option to visit before the decision deadline so I was wondering if I can find out more information about the program at UIC, any relevant details, experiences, or insight helps. Those who attended or know someone from the UIC MPH program, how was the class size? Are the professors approachable? How satisfied were you with the program? Tuition assistantship situation, is it still in the same statistics that everyone mentioned before?

Hi,
What divisions are looking at UIC and BU? If you are interested in policy or global health, Illinois in general isn't a good place to make connections. I found UIC's tuition assistantship situation to be sub-standard and those stats surprise me. I suspect they are for grad students, not MPH/professional students. However, I ended up getting an RA position at Rush which ended up being a better deal. The professors are very approachable but I have heard complaints if you are going part time. Class size varies. Night classes/afternoon classes are much bigger due to part time students. I'm happy here but I would have never gone without that fullride.

Jaya

I will be attending UIC's MPH Epi program this fall. Where would I find more info on the assistantships, what do they entail, how difficult it is to get them, etc? Is there a link on the UIC SPH website? I couldn't seem to find it.

Hi Jaya,

I'm going to be in the Health Management and Policy program, but I think it's called Health Policy Administration at UIC. The program at UIC was also ranked in the top 20 MPH programs, but I just didn't feel like I knew much about it other than what's on the website. Thank you so much for your feedback!

I have a 3.4 gpa from the University of Illinois Urbana Champaign as a biology major. Don't really have any work experience. Have worked at a dentist office as a dental assistant and office manager over the summer but nothing full time. What should I shoot for on the gre to get in to UIC?