University of Illinois at Chicago vs. University of Iowa-Carver College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kobelebron

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am having an extremely tough time deciding between these two schools. I am an Illinois resident.

The cost of attendance for both schools is about the same; Iowa's tuition is higher, however, the cost of living in Chicago is much higher than Iowa City, making the cost of attendance almost identical. I have tons of family, friends, and a significant other living in the Chicagoland area. I am unsure of what specialty I would like to pursue, but I do have interest in competitive specialties such as Orthopedics.

Based on US News research and primary care rankings, Iowa is considered the “better” school.

University of Illinois at Chicago

Pros

• Close to support group of (family, friends, and significant other of many years).
  • Chicago-great city, have grown up around it and been around it my whole life. Good social life outside of medicine.
  • Near other medical schools. I have heard of students from UIC doing research at Rush, Northwestern, U of Chicago, etc.
  • 8 Weeks dedicated to Step 1
  • Block schedule-1 exam every few weeks, and a whole week to study for it prior

Cons

• Cost of living-extremely high
  • Fairly disorganized office of admissions, doesn’t seem like they actually care if you are there or not
  • Match list for competitive specialties like Orthopedics varies, seem to have matches at top programs for some students, while others are at lower tier programs, seems to vary year to year
  • Orthopedics department in general doesn’t seem like a very productive research department, although I could be wrong. If anyone has insight that would be appreciated. Looked up the match list for orthopedics and lot of guys seemed to be getting published with Rush or Northwestern faculty and not UIC faculty, fairly concerning
  • I feel like it might be difficult to obtain quality letters of rec from faculty here and find mentors, not sure if this is true, but on the surface it appears like that

University of Iowa-Carver College of Medicine

Pros

• Great reputation, better ranking on US News than UIC
  • Really good Orthopedic Match last year-11 students at some great programs
  • Lower cost of living
  • Very transparent admissions office seems like they actually want you to be there.
  • Seems like they have reputable faculty and research opportunities
  • Condensed curriculum-1.5 years pre-clinical and then begin advanced clerkships during second part of M3 (start core clerkships during second half of M2).
Cons

• It’s in Iowa City-About 3-3.5 hour drive from support network. Worried about relationship strain and not being able to spend time with people outside of medicine when I have my small amount of free time.
  • Condensed curriculum gives only 4 weeks dedicated to Step 1.
  • Condensed curriculum makes it look like there is an exam every Friday of every week.

Summary: Both schools are solid Midwest schools, Carver may have a slight advantage. If Carver were in Chicago it would be an easy choice. I’m just worried about spending 4 years wishing I was somewhere else or wishing I could see the people I care about more frequently especially during a stressful time like medical school. But I am also worried that I’m shooting myself in the foot by not going to a “better” school if I want to pursue something competitive such as Ortho. From my understanding, step 1, grades/honors during clerkships, AOA, letters of rec, connections, and research are the most important part when applying to residencies. I believe I’ll do the same on Step 1 regardless of which of these schools I attend. I am just worried about finding mentors and getting letters of reference and solid research opportunities at UIC. Nonetheless, people have been successful at getting competitive residencies after going to UIC.

Any insight from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Iowa is a undisputed top 10 ortho program with huge huge names. If you’re interested in ortho, it is a far superior choice to UIC in that regard. Forget about usnews rankings as I think both are solid midtiers. But Iowa has several strong residency programs outside of ortho too that help you if you want to match into those, off top of my head I cant think of elite programs at UIC.

Only you can decide if the career benefits are worth the family/personal circumstances. You can still match well coming from UIC, just will need to put in more effort. Iowa will make your life much easier if you want to match ortho (this is vs most other schools, not just UIC). It’s a great option. Best of luck.

Carver is great. If you’re concerned about living in Iowa City, call admissions and see if you can talk to some students from big cities. There are several students from Chicago and other cities around the country. Regarding Step 1 study, it is 4 week dedicated immediately after 3 weeks of winter break. If you study through break you get 7 weeks. Also, ditto on the Ortho at Iowa. A strong letter of rec and some mentorship can go a long way in helping you to meet your goals. That is definitely available at Iowa.

There are lots of Illinois/Chicago-area students at Carver! The 3-3.5 hour drive is not bad - close enough you can get there if you need to, but not so close that you will be off campus every weekend. Compared with what many students deal with concerning long distance relationships, it is quite doable.

Double-check your tuition figures / COA for UIC! At least when I was applying, UIC had a separate charge for summers that made even the instate cost much closer to Carver's cost. Also know that between M1 and M2, many Carver students obtain paid research positions and spend most of the summer in IC. As far as tests, the main tests for MOHD are every other week on Friday. This means you usually have a couple of less-busy weekends a month (right after the Friday test) - while you may have to study some for MAS and CAPS, these classes are pass/fail and the tests much less intense. That is when SO's tend to visit or trips home are planned.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you should be concerned about an 'extremely high' cost of living. Apartments within walking distance of UIC can be found for $600. They're aware of their ****ty admissions issues. Rumor is that the dean is getting fired.

Following-up with Tuition and Cost of Attendance from the two schools websites:

UIC M1 In-state Tuition 46,359 Total Cost of Attendance M1 79,418

Iowa M1 Out of State Tuition 58,434 Total Cost of Attendance M1 80,529

Given the high in-state tuition and the low cost of living in Iowa City, there is less than a $1K difference in total cost of attendance.

Insignificant in the grand scheme of things but UIC's M4 year has a cost of attendance that is more like 55,000 due to the way they charge tuition. As for the other years, yes they are identical