University of Illinois at Chicago

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoCalM0

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got accepted at UIC. Now I have to decide on the campus to attend. Since I Chicago is probably full by now, I will most likely go to Urbana. However, I was wondering if anyone knew which campus, Rockford or Peoria is better?

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering, but are you sure that you will attend univ of illinois next year? i dont know the difference between the two campuses, but i know that the class sizes are small at both campuses and you get to know your fellow classmates really well.

Thats what i have heard.

Ah! 2 threads with same name!!

I'm still not sure it I will attend, but I want to hold my place in the class for now, which means I have to give my campus preferences. I don't know anything about Rockford or Peoria so I was wondering if anyone out there does?

Members don't see this ad :)
I live like 30 minutes from rockford. The city in general is OK. the crime rate is horrible, but they have a water park, and some nice malls. All the stores you need. But no clubs.

the rockford campus is very primary care-oriented, so it's ideal if you know you want to go into primary care (i think it may even be ranked in the primary care rankings). it doesn't mean that you can't match into a specialty--just that your education there already has a primary care bias to it. both rockford and peoria are lousy places to spend three years of your life, but that's just my opinion as a city person. at least rockford is closer to chicago.

I live right next to Rockford and I have spoken to some docs that went there, obviously they have jobs now and are doing well, but the consensus among them was that the Rockford school's curriculum definetly lagged compared with the others...but the city is nicer and safer than Peoria I would say...I am a sophomore now at UI in Urbana, and I would love to stay here for med school.