Blueberry92

hs Senior
Jan 30, 2010
Status
Non-Student
So I want to major in BS chem but is anyone here from UIC taking minor classes like art? I was wondering if UIC provides minor classes for prepharmacy students. If they do I would love it 'cause I love art !:love:

Sep 26, 2010
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Hey everyone, I'm an out-of-stater and I'm going to interview at UIC Dec. 1. I've read that getting into this school as a non-resident is a bit of a numbers game, as with most state-funded universities, but I've read it's a good school so I'm going to go ahead and interview.

Is there no real tour of the campus during the interview day? I read that from some of last year's posts...seems strange. Would you all recommend just walking around the school area to check it out?

I also read that the interviews seem particularly informal. Frankly I don't care how formal (like a panel firing off questions) or informal (like a conversation) it is, although some schools conduct semi-blind interviews (UC-Denver) where the interviewers have not even seen your application or transcripts before. Does anyone know if UIC is like this too?

Good luck everyone! :luck: :luck: :luck:

homeslice

10+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2007
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Hey everyone, I'm an out-of-stater and I'm going to interview at UIC Dec. 1. I've read that getting into this school as a non-resident is a bit of a numbers game, as with most state-funded universities, but I've read it's a good school so I'm going to go ahead and interview.

Is there no real tour of the campus during the interview day? I read that from some of last year's posts...seems strange. Would you all recommend just walking around the school area to check it out?

I also read that the interviews seem particularly informal. Frankly I don't care how formal (like a panel firing off questions) or informal (like a conversation) it is, although some schools conduct semi-blind interviews (UC-Denver) where the interviewers have not even seen your application or transcripts before. Does anyone know if UIC is like this too?

Regarding accepting in-state vs. out of state students, I can tell you that UIC made a huge jump in the number of out of state students they accepted last year. I actually just read today in a newsletter the school sends out that there are 40 out of staters in the P1 class (compared to only 4 in the 2009 class). Pretty sure this is due to the budget crisis and the ability to get more tuition $$ from out of state students.

meimei29

You're as sweet as TT
10+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2009
Chicago
Status
Pharmacy Student
Regarding accepting in-state vs. out of state students, I can tell you that UIC made a huge jump in the number of out of state students they accepted last year. I actually just read today in a newsletter the school sends out that there are 40 out of staters in the P1 class (compared to only 4 in the 2009 class). Pretty sure this is due to the budget crisis and the ability to get more tuition $$ from out of state students.
I believe they even considered them equally this time around, whereas in previous years they would take that factor into account. Not 100% sure about this one, but out of staters definitely do have a good chance of getting accepted now.

I believe they did give a tour of the facilities at the college last year. For the interview process two years ago, they didn't even do that... perhaps it is partly due to the out-of-staters this time around. During orientation, they will offer a tour of the campus.

I'm sure if you asked some of the students to show you around the campus, they'd be more than open to doing so. I am not too sure of the process this year; it is possible that they will change the "tour" system this year as to what they show you.

To my knowledge, it is a blind interview.. my year (two years ago), it seemed to be that way, given he was asking me questions from square one. I think they do this so that they can get more of a sense of you as a person, and so that they do not have a preconception about you beforehand. My interview was informal, conversational-like- it's actually one of the things which sold me about the school. It may depend on your interviewer, but from what people have told me, they had similar experiences.

Edit: Also might be more appropriate to have this conversation at http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=767834

dreaming4hope

5+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2010
Chicago
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
So I want to major in BS chem but is anyone here from UIC taking minor classes like art? I was wondering if UIC provides minor classes for prepharmacy students. If they do I would love it 'cause I love art !:love:
i'm at UIC too :D u can take minor courses, but since chem is the college of liberal arts and sciences and art is in architecture and the arts u have to check with the college of architecture and the arts to see if it is alright for u to declare a minor from them.