University of Illinois Chicago vs. TCU/UNTHSC School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slayer28

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am grateful to have received two acceptances into MD programs, and I wanted some input on which program to choose. I am an international student so I am considered out of state for both schools (doesn't make a difference for TCU because it is private and everyone gets charged the same tuition). I have compiled a list of pros and cons for each school and would appreciate any advice. Thanks

University of Illinois College of Medicine

Pros:

More established medical school with strong match list
Curriculum has various areas of scholarly concentration
Chicago has a more diverse patient population and more research opportunities
I really like life in Chicago. I am closer to friends and I have family friends there

Cons:

Expensive out of state tuition (85,000 per year)
Traditional curriculum (clinical rotations begin in third year)
Large class size (180)

TCU and UNTHSC School of Medicine

Pros:

Innovative curriculum with scholarly thesis requirement and longitudinal clinical experiences
Clinical rotations begin early in second year
Cheaper tuition (51,000 per year after a scholarship offer)
Lower cost of living compared to Chicago area
Small class size (60)

Cons:

New school (a class hasn't graduated yet so unknown match list but it looks very promising)
Potentially fewer research, clinical, and networking opportunities compared to Chicago
I am not familiar with the area and don't know what to expect from life in Texas as an international student

Members don't see this ad.

Is the 85k just for the first year? Not sure how it works but I guess IS tuition there is still the 50k which is equivalent to TCU. If it's 85k all 4, go TCU. If not, depends on what your goals are tbh.

You could pm @OrexinRules to try to get some insight on TCU's research opportunities

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not sure about the specific research opportunities at TCU, but from their interview day I remember that they require all students to conduct a research project. Additionally, it seemed like they really encouraged early clinical experience, and many of the M2's expressed that finding quality clinical opportunities early on didn't seem to be an issue. The JPS Health System in Texas also seems solid, so even though TCU is newer, having a relationship with them should be beneficial. TCU being new definitely comes with some reasonable concerns, and for those reasons I think I'm personally going to go with another acceptance, but that 85K tuition price at UI-C is wild. With living costs in Chicago, you may be looking at ~500k in loans if not more, so as long as you're not considering uber-competitive specialties, TCU may be the more financially sound choice. Either way, you're going to be a doctor! Congratulations!

I'm not sure about the specific research opportunities at TCU, but from their interview day I remember that they require all students to conduct a research project. Additionally, it seemed like they really encouraged early clinical experience, and many of the M2's expressed that finding quality clinical opportunities early on didn't seem to be an issue. The JPS Health System in Texas also seems solid, so even though TCU is newer, having a relationship with them should be beneficial. TCU being new definitely comes with some reasonable concerns, and for those reasons I think I'm personally going to go with another acceptance, but that 85K tuition price at UI-C is wild. With living costs in Chicago, you may be looking at ~500k in loans if not more, so as long as you're not considering uber-competitive specialties, TCU may be the more financially sound choice. Either way, you're going to be a doctor! Congratulations!
Curious to hear more about your thoughts on TCU. What those reasonable concerns that come with a new med school? It's my only acceptance so far, and I'm having my doubts

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, @Ultravox Vienna for tagging me. If you are hesitant about the research opportunities at TCU, boy do I have some awesome stuff to tell you. The research opportunities at TCU are one of, if not, the biggest pros of our school. Like others have mentioned we have a 4-year SPT (scholarly pursuit and thesis) project where MD students complete a longitudinal research project. This is great for several reasons 1) Guaranteed publication essentially 2) Guaranteed strong letter of recommendation from your PI (who probably is in the specialty you are interested in going into which is a huge pro and 3) You don't need to "make time" to squeeze in research-it is already built into your curriculum which puts much less stress on the student.

In terms of what research mentors/projects are available, the answer is a metric f*** ton. We have a database with 150+ faculty who are literally looking for medical students to be on their project. (This saves time for MD students searching everyone for research mentors). One email and you are in. Also, the diversity of research is amazing to see. We have neurosurgeons looking for students to do clinical research, orthopedic surgeons looking to work with med students on cadaveric anatomy, Family med docs looking for students to do work in rural family med in texas, and social science stuff, and much much more. Furthermore, you can reach out to anyone you'd like and TCU will work with them to become an assistant faculty member and make sure they understand their role in becoming a research mentor.

Let me also say that you can do research outside of your SPT simultaneously. For example, if you want to do neurosurgery, you can have your SPT on neurosurg stuff but also do some research on the side in something you are similarly passionate about like physician burnout for instance. This way you are getting the residency app boost with your SPT research and also dipping your feet in another project you are interested in.

Feel free to message me for depth and for any additional questions you may have. I hope to see you in July :) Go Frogs

Reactions: 2 users
Is the 85k just for the first year? Not sure how it works but I guess IS tuition there is still the 50k which is equivalent to TCU. If it's 85k all 4, go TCU. If not, depends on what your goals are tbh.

You could pm @OrexinRules to try to get some insight on TCU's research opportunities
That will be 85k for all four years unless I obtain permanent resident status.

Curious to hear more about your thoughts on TCU. What those reasonable concerns that come with a new med school? It's my only acceptance so far, and I'm having my doubts
For me personally, my main concerns are the fact that step 1 is going to be pass/fail so distinguishing oneself from the rest of the applicant pool during residency application would be difficult and the school's ranking or reputation could be more factored in so going to a more established school may help.

For me personally, my main concerns are the fact that step 1 is going to be pass/fail so distinguishing oneself from the rest of the applicant pool during residency application would be difficult and the school's ranking or reputation could be more factored in so going to a more established school may help.
school ranking holds little significance to PDs. Idk why premeds are so fixated on it. Besides, the difference in prestige here is not worth an extra 35k a year lol. Maybe if this was Harvard vs TCU. What's going to help distinguish you is a killer Step 2 CK, outstanding LORs, impressing on your rotations, and pubs. School name isn't gonna make up for a lack in any of those areas. Your future self will thank you when you aren't up to your neck in debt

Last edited:
school ranking holds little significance to PDs. Idk why premeds are so fixated on it. Besides, the difference in prestige here is not worth an extra 35k a year lol. Maybe if this was Harvard vs TCU. What's going to help distinguish you is a killer Step 2 CK, outstanding LORs, impressing on your rotations, and pubs. School name isn't gonna make up for a lack in any of those areas. Your future self will thank you when you aren't up to your neck in debt
You have a valid point. I'll try not to fixate on prestige. Thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it.

Hi OP, I know this is an old post but I couldn't find a way to PM you. I'm also an International student applying this cycle (2022-2023) and I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions regarding international status/ applications. Thanks!!

Hi OP, I know this is an old post but I couldn't find a way to PM you. I'm also an International student applying this cycle (2022-2023) and I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions regarding international status/ applications. Thanks!!
The OP has not been active for several months and this thread is over a year old. Locking.

Status
Not open for further replies.