University of Illinois Chicago VS University of Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UICpharmF2018

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’m currently confused and wanted to get some opinios about the situation I’m in. I have been accepted to The University of Illinois Chicago and The University of Michigan for the Pharm.D. program. I can’t pick between these two schools and wanted to hear everyone’s input on this. Thank you all!

University of Illinois Chicago:

• Scholarship for in-state tuition, comes out to 30K a year

• Great location, as I want to move to a big city like Chicago and that’s very important to me

• It’s a commuter school so there isn’t much a campus life

• I like the Illinois medical district location and what it has to offer

• Don’t have to drive and I love the public transportation in Chicago

• #6 in US News
  • Bigger class size than Michigan, about 140 students

University of Michigan:

• 40K a year

• Very good reputation, I love the campus, the spirit and I just love the school in general

• Requires me to drive and get a car, I don’t have a license and I have never driven before, driving in the snow might be difficult

• Surprisingly high cost of living for housing, I would have to pay for parking in addition to purchasing a car and all the fees that come with it.

• World ranked hospital

• Have a campus life

• Ranked higher than UIC (#3 in US News)
  • Smaller class size (about 85 ) Seems like it is more focused on students

I’m very confused because I think that going to the University of Michigan would provide me with the best opportunities, they have very good research, their hospital and all of their programs are very well known. However, I like UIC because it’s in Chicago and I love the big city life, transportation is very easy, I wouldn’t need to drive. Rent would be cheaper than Ann Arbor, the only bad thing is that the reputation of the school isn’t as great as Michigan.

I would love to hear what you guys think and how I should go about this and picking one of these two schools. Again thank you all very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Most people will tell you to go to UIC since it’s cheaper.

I applied ED to umich and got accepted. My main reason for wanting to go to umich is because a little over half their graduates secure residency positions and their masters of public health program is one of the best (I’d like to dual enroll).

If UIC is similar in that respect or your end goal is to work in retail you should go to UIC.

Last edited:
Most people will tell you to go to UIC since it’s cheaper.

I applied ED to umich and got accepted. My main reason for wanting to go to umich is because a little over half their graduates secure residency positions and their masters of public health program is one of the best (I’d like to dual enroll).

If UIC is similar in that respect or your end goal is to work in retail you should go to UIC.

I totally agree with you. Residency is my end goal as well, I should have mentioned that in my post. I know that Umich has more of their grads going into residency and that is why I applied their in the first place. Like you said ot's just the tuition factor and location that's making difficult for me to make a decision.
Thank you for your response!